Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,084 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

What Should Be The Fate Of Kabiru Sokoto, Given That Bokoharam Has Not Been Proscribed By The A.g An - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Should Be The Fate Of Kabiru Sokoto, Given That Bokoharam Has Not Been Proscribed By The A.g An (748 Views)

A Nairalander Endorse&Analyse Claim that Bokoharam Has Been Defeated Technically / BBC Gloating To The World That Bokoharam Has Finally Captured Nigerian Territory / Escape Of Kabiru Sokoto: Zakari Biu Dismissed From Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Should Be The Fate Of Kabiru Sokoto, Given That Bokoharam Has Not Been Proscribed By The A.g An by Dannze: 10:40am On Feb 11, 2012
This is more like a legal issue, but useful objective information is needed. What should be the fate of kabiru sokoto and other bokoharam members who are arresred before the Attorney general and the president proscribes the bokoharam sect as a terrorist group. Permit me to say this, that in accordance to the terrorism act on which these BH arrested members are to be prosecuted, before a person can be regarded as a terrorist, he must belong to a group that has been proscribed as a terrorist group by the president and attorney general. If we remember very well, the judge who sentesnced the prosecuted BH member to 3yrs inprisonment did not do anything outside the ambit of the law because BH had not been proscribed as a terrorist group by the president and A.G. This in essence means that those who perpetrated and carried out the madalla bombing are to be treated less than armed robbers according to the law, since as at that time and up till now BH has not been proscribed as a terrorist group. So despite the overwhelming evidence againsy kabiru sokoto, he cannot be given a sentence of more than 3yrs and will even be given a sentence less than an armed robber. Please any views on this legal development as to the fate of kabiru sokoto and other arrested BH members putting into consideration that even if the president proscribes the group now, the law cannot work backwards.
Re: What Should Be The Fate Of Kabiru Sokoto, Given That Bokoharam Has Not Been Proscribed By The A.g An by Gbawe: 11:12am On Feb 11, 2012
Forget the legalese. What I will assure you of is that the FG will hide behind anything that conveniently frees it from having to take tough decisions. What does the likes of Kabiru Sokoto , if found guilty, deserve if not to be caged away, with hard labour every day, and never allowed to mingle amongst decent and sane folks? Will Konduga not be out in 3 years or less ? Are we that slavishly beholden to current law in Nigeria or is it that current arrangement suit everyone well?

Watch as the FG come out with something akin to "leaner government not possible" while hiding behind current provisions to justify their inaction, cowardice and unreadiness to take brave decisions in the interest of Nigeria. Everywhere in the world, the law is recognised as a dynamic instrument, open to amendment, that must serves man efficiently.

In Nigeria, the law is presented conveniently as an almighty impediment that prevents progess. What that theory forgets is that man makes the law and can thus amend it. Not the other way round and not the aberration of Nigeria where leaders pretend to be hostage to retrogressive laws and constitutions with no mention ever made of amendments.

Let us use Kabiru Sokoto as a case study even as we have many in the past. I am fairly sure many Nigerians are about to gain an education about the intrinsic evil present in Nigeria that means our current compromised leaders can ignore the most heinous conduct in search of the 'piss-no-one-off' peace that allows looting to go on.

(1) (Reply)

Bianca: How I Broke The News Of Husband To My Children / Governor Rochas Visists Secondary Schools / I Heard That Ekiti Was More Beautiful Before The 80s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.