Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,237 members, 7,825,919 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. (18500 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? / Most Uninteresting Book You Have Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by MerryMe1(f): 5:46pm On Dec 06, 2015
UPDATE: OPENING DATE: 1ST DECEMBER 2015.
DEADLINE: 5th FEBRUARY 2016
ABOUT NAWOT:
The Nelson Adeyeye Writers Of Today(NAWOT) is an online competition that is organized by Sandra Adeyeye C.E.O of Eminent Creators in honor of her late father Mr. Nelson Adeyeye as a way to encourage the writing and reading culture of the Nigerian youth.
This competition promises to be an exciting and uplifting showcase of well-laid out Prose that promotes creativity at it's peak.
AWARDS:
There shall be a selection of the best twenty stories by our judges. These shall make up our anthology other prizes to be won include but are not restricted to:
Best writer Romance Category - 15,000
Best writer Science Fiction and Fantasy Category - 15,000
Best writer Mystery and Horror Category - 15,000
Best writer Action and Thriller Category - 15,000
Other consolation prizes, a copy of the anthology and other books shall follow.
RULES AND REGULATION:
In order to be eligible, participants are to note the following guidelines as regards submission of entries.
1) Participant must be a Nigerian youth between the ages of 16 - 30 years.
2) Participant must send a mail containing a black and white passport photograph, age, sex, phone numbers, email and facebook i.d in a separate mail from the mail bearing his entry.
3) Entry to be submitted must be Prose, original work of participant and must be an unpublished work, not submitted for any publication during the period of this competition.
NOTE: entry should not bear author's name on it. Just the title and the word count.
4) Entry must be between a 1,500 (minimum) - 2,500 (maximum) word count. Entries must be complete, concise and bear a comprehensive plot, i.e a beginning, middle and an end (no season). Entry font should be Arial size 12 and double spaced.
NOTE: subject of mail should signify what category the author is entering his story. No entries in PDF format will be accepted.
5) Participants can compete in four categories during this competition. I.e every writer is entitled to four entries per competition. Science fiction/fantasy category, mystery/horror category, action/thriller category and romance category.
NOTE: each entry attracts a fee of #1,000.
6) Every entry must have an attachment of the scanned bank draft which has the title of the submission boldly written on it.
Account name: Eminent Creators
Account number: 0201029142
Bank: Gtbank.
7) Every entry must be in English language, with minimal usage of vernacular; and if unavoidably used, must be explained as a footnote for better understanding.
cool All entries must be submitted to nelsonadeyeyewritersoftoday@gmail.com on or before 5 February 2016 (late entries will attract an extra fee of 500). Date for the prize-giving ceremony shall be communicated to participants via mail.
MODE OF SELECTION:
Participants will have excerpts from their stories displayed on our blog and Facebook page for voting by our public audience within a span of two weeks. Excerpts with the highest votes/comments within that period shall scale through to the next stage of selection.
Final announcement of the winners shall be left to the jurisdiction of the competition's in-house judges whose decisions shall be Binding and Final.
Finally: Writers retain the rights to the stories they submit for the NAWOT competition. The twenty winning stories are published as an anthology and open for purchase after the launching. After that, the winning authors are free to publish anywhere, as long as due credit is given to the NAWOT competition and/or Eminent Creators. Eminent Creators staff and NAWOT team members are not eligible to participate in the competition.
Good luck.

Signed:
Hillary Zita Successa
For the competition department.

For more information, send a message to nelsonadeyeyewritersoftoday@gmail.com or like our page on facebook. https://m.facebook.com/Nelson-Adeyeye-Writers-of-Today-NAWOT-1536651376625288/?ref=context_row or visit https://eminentcreatorsblog./ for more details. Thanks.

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2015
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by perod(f): 10:15am On Dec 10, 2015
bottom billion oscillate between the traps and limbo, perhaps switching in the process from one trap to another..

Let me be clear: we cannot rescue them. The societies of the bottom billion can only be rescued from within. In every society of the bottom billion there are people working for change, but usually they are defeated by the powerful internal forces stacked against them. We should be helping the heroes. So far, our efforts have been paltry: through inertia, ignorance, and incompetence, we have stood by and watched them lose.

Let me be clear: we cannot rescue them. These societies of the bottom billion can only be rescued from within.
Paul Collier, The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 5:38pm On Dec 10, 2015
Plato's Republic

Let us place the most just by the side of the most unjust, and when we see them we shall be able to compare the relative happiness or unhappiness of him who leads a life of pure justice or pure injustice. The enquiry will then be completed. And we shall know whether we ought to pursue injustice, as Thrasymachus advises, or in accordance with the conclusions of the argument to prefer justice.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 4:51pm On Dec 22, 2015
Even if we no longer have much in common, we would have always had the past, which, in some ways, is just as important as the present or future.”

Something Blue
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 2:12am On Dec 24, 2015
There have been some ancients and some moderns who have maintained the contrary view about mathematics, condemning it as completely useless and as contributing nothing to human life. Some people attack mathematics thus : ' If the end for whose sake philosophers say we ought to study it is useless, much more must the study itself be vain. Now about the end all who are thought to have attained the greatest precision in mathematics are pretty much agreed. Some say the end is the knowledge of injustice and justice, of evil and good, which they think akin to geometry and the kindred sciences ; others think the end is wisdom with regard to nature and the like — the kind of wisdom introduced by the schools of Anaxagoras and Parmenides. He who is to consider these matters must therefore not fail to observe that all things
good and useful for human life depend on use and action, not on mere knowledge. We become healthy not by knowing the things that produce health but by applying them to our bodies ; we become wealthy not by knowing wealth but by possessing much substance; most important of all, we live well not by knowing something but by doing well ; for this is true well-being. It follows that philosophy too, if it is to be profitable, must be either a doing of good things or useful as a means to such acts. Now, that neither philosophy nor any other of the aforesaid sciences is a doing of actions is clear to all ; that it is not useful as a means to action can be seen from what follows. We have the best example in the
difference between the sciences akin to philosophy and the doctrines that come under them. Take the things that geometers study by way of demonstration ; we do not see them capable of doing any of these things. Land-surveyors can divide an estate, they can by virtue of experience deal with all the other properties of areas and regions ; but those who concern themselves with mathematical proofs know
how they ought to act, but cannot act. The same is true of music and of all the other arts in which the role of knowledge is distinct from that of experience. For those who have studied the proofs and syllogisms about harmony and such- like matters are (like the philosophers) ccustomed to speculation but take no part in practice; if perchance they can handle any of these matters practically, when they have learned the proofs they at once, as if on purpose, do their jobs worse. On the other hand, those who do not know the theories, but have become habituated by training and hold sound opinions, are altogether superior for practical purposes. So too with regard to astronomical subjects — the sun, the
moon, and the other stars — those who have studied the theoretical explanations know nothing that is useful to man- kind, while those who have what these others call the navigational sciences can foretell for us storms, winds, and many other phenomena. Thus such sciences will be completely useless for practical purposes, and if they fall short of correct practice the love of learning misses the greatest goods.'

Aristotle's Protrepticus
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 4:27am On Jan 02, 2016
“Something to remember,” the mayor said, holding up one finger. “Job you draw today is for three years. Then, Evaluation. Are you good at your job? Fine. You may keep it. Are you unsatisfactory? Is there a greater need elsewhere? You will be reassigned. It is extremely important,” he said, jabbing his finger at the class, “for all . . . work . . . of Ember . . . to be done".

“I need to see the generator,” Doon said. “I have . . . I have ideas about it.” He thrust his hands into his pockets. “So,” he said, “will you trade?” “Yes!” cried Lina. “Messenger is the job I want most!” And not a useless job at all, in her opinion. People couldn’t be expected to trudge halfway across the city every time they wanted to communicate with someone. Messengers connected everyone to everyone else. Anyway,
whether it was important or not, the job of messenger just happened to be perfect for Lina. She loved to run. She could run forever. And she loved exploring every nook and cranny of the city, which was what a messenger got to do.

The City of Ember
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 2:38am On Jan 03, 2016
Thus encouraged, the buccaneer stepped forth more briskly, and having passed something to Silver, from hand to hand, slipped yet more smartly back again to his companions.

The sea-cook looked at what had been given him.

"The black spot! I thought so," he observed. "Where might you have got the paper? Why, hillo! Look here, now; this ain't lucky! You've gone and cut this out of a Bible. What fool's cut a Bible?"

"Ah, there!" said Morgan. "There! Wot did I say? No good'll come o' that, I said."

Treasure Island
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by RemenZack(f): 6:19am On Jan 03, 2016
"Who doesn't love a man that can fly?"
From Fifty Shades of Grey.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiah2: 6:28am On Jan 03, 2016
Just then a Fawn came wandering by: it looked at Alice with its large gentle eyes, but didn't seem at all frightened. 'Here then! Here then!' Alice said, as she held out her hand and tried to stroke it; but it only started back a little, and then stood looking at her again.
'What do you call yourself?' the Fawn said at last. Such a soft sweet voice it had!

'I wish I knew!' thought poor Alice. She answered, rather sadly, 'Nothing, just now.'

'Think again,' it said: 'that won't do.'

Alice thought, but nothing came of it. 'Please, would you tell me what you call yourself?' she said timidly. 'I think that might help a little.'
'I'll tell you, if you'll move a little further on,' the Fawn said. 'I can't remember here.'

So they walked on together though the wood, Alice with her arms clasped lovingly round the soft neck of the Fawn, till they came out into another open field, and here the Fawn gave a sudden bound into the air, and shook itself free from Alice's arms. 'I'm a Fawn!' it cried out in a voice of delight, 'and, dear me! you're a human child!' A sudden look of alarm came into its beautiful brown eyes, and in another moment it had darted away at full speed.

Alice stood looking after it, almost ready to cry with vexation at having lost her dear little fellow-traveller so suddenly. 'However, I know my name now.' she said, 'that's some comfort. Alice—Alice—I won't forget it again. And now, which of these finger-posts ought I to follow, I wonder?'

It was not a very difficult question to answer, as there was only one road through the wood, and the two finger-posts both pointed along it. 'I'll settle it,' Alice said to herself, 'when the road divides and they point different ways.'

But this did not seem likely to happen. She went on and on, a long way, but wherever the road divided there were sure to be two finger-posts pointing the same way.

Through The Looking Glass
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 4:06am On Jan 04, 2016
“So Mowgli went away and hunted with the four cubs in the jungle from that day on. But he was not always alone, because years afterward he became a man and married.

But that is a story for grown-ups.”

The Jungle Book
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 3:08am On Feb 08, 2016
On the side of the jet, she was surprised to see a strange insignia: Tachyon Travel, some airline Angela had never heard of. . . and while she was staring at it, the words suddenly changed into the familiar wing-in-the-cloud symbols of Sky Trails.

That couldn't have happened, she told herself . . . It was just an optical illusion. . .

Found By Margaret P Haddix
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2016
Alonso: These are not natural events; they strengthen From strange to stranger. Say, how came you hither?

Shakespeare's The Tempest
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 2:44am On Mar 18, 2016
tpia5:
A Stitch in Time by Ann Rinaldi

" It's what you've been trying to do all along" he elaborated, "make up for matters that can never be right in this family. Things happen to people in life, Hannah. Terrible things that change people, that sometimes ruin families. You cant set yourself up above such things and try to make them as before. It doesnt work"

" What's the harm in trying?" (she asked)."Especially if some good comes out of it?"

"The harm, Hannah, is that you hurt everyone trying. You open up old wounds. You go against the tide. You prevent the healing. And who's to say good will come out of (what you're doing)?"
I'm quoting the oldest post in the history of the world but I actually love that author lol. Ann Rinaldi is a goddess.... I used to read her books alot when I was like, 12 grin
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiar: 5:32am On Mar 18, 2016
THESEUS:
More strange than true: I never may believe

These antique fables, nor these fairy toys.

A Midsummer Night's Dream
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 7:28pm On Apr 05, 2016

why hiding my posts?
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by LaurinaDavid(f): 2:59am On Apr 06, 2016
The Beautiful ones are not yet born.

People were still only bodies walking in their sleep.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 10:01pm On Apr 20, 2016
Teen Idol

I looked at Trina. Her gaze was riveted on Luke. . . No, it was the tattoo on Luke's arm, just beneath his right shoulder, that seemed to be holding Trina's attention . . .

"Oh my God. . . " Trina started to say. . . "That's Luke Striker! The new guy is Luke Striker!"

. . . I (could tell) we werent in the rest room alone. I could hear Geri sniffling . . .

At least until she heard the words Luke Striker.

"I knew it!" Geri Lynn came bursting out of the stall like a bucking bronco from it's pen. "I knew he looked familiar! Lucas is Luke Striker?"
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by cooljoe(m): 11:46pm On Apr 20, 2016
... and lo I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Mathew 28.20(The Holy Bible)

1 Like

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 6:55pm On Apr 22, 2016
tpia6:
Vanity (from Bible)

What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by coltaine(m): 10:31am On Dec 20, 2016
Women are terrifying to men,’ he whispered, ‘because they can break them with the simplest word or briefest glance.’
Now she smiled. ‘Not if they care for them- Orb, Sceptre nd throne (malazan series)

You've all heard stories about how these Seguleh have never been beaten. How they've slaughtered everyone who's ever faced them. Well look around... We're still here! And now - now they're offering you a choice! All you've to do is drop your weapons and surrender. That's all. But if you do that I can promise you one thing ... you ain't gonna have another shot at the bastards! So what's going to be? Hey? What's your answer?
Silence. Aragan glared right and left, his heart hammering, gulping breaths. Then at the far end of the line a hulking Dal Honese trooper drew his blade, held it out saluting, and bashed it to his shield twice. Hands went to sword-grips all up and down the lines. Swords hissed, drawing to clash in a great thunderous roar agains shields, once, twice, then extending in the formal salute.
There's your Malazan answer - Orb, Sceptre and throne (fist aragan)

“I'll not deny I am impressed by your mastery of six warrens, Quick Ben. In retrospect, you should have held back on at least half of what you command." The man made to rise. "But, Bauchelain," the wizard replied, "I did.” - Quick Ben (dont remember which one of the books now)

“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words

Kallor shrugged. '[...] I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'
'Yes,' [said Caladan Brood.] 'You never learn.

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived.

No tyrant could thrive where every subject said no. The tyrant thrives when the first fucking fool salutes.

People don’t change to suit their god; they change their god to suit them.

this is just a few of the many quotes in those books, how I wish it can be adapted into a movie, even game of thrones na pikin beside this one.....is it humor, war, savageness, true words, romance sef.....the malazan world has them all
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by basti1212(m): 8:00am On Dec 21, 2016
tpia5:
Things Fall Apart

"He had already chosen the title of the book, after much thought:The Pacification of the Primitive Tribes of the Lower Niger"

"in eight months' time" by Bassey Ette

"About three hundred and some how years ago, land was wealth. So, the person who owned the land owned the wealth. Then, it was factories and production and, America rose to dominance and still dominating! The industrialist owned the wealth. Today, it is information. And the person with the timeliest information owns the wealth", said Jimmy Robert

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

THE BLACKMAIL / The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story / Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.