Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,741 members, 7,809,834 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. (18461 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? / Most Uninteresting Book You Have Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:34am On Mar 07, 2012
coraline

'Coraline sighed. "You really don't understand, do you?" she said. "I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. what kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn't mean anything, What then?"'
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:36am On Mar 07, 2012
the magician's nephew

'For what you see and hear depends on a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.'
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:41am On Mar 07, 2012
mary poppins

'With her large bag in her hands she slid gracefully up the banisters, and arrived at the landing at the same time as Mrs. Banks. Such a thing, Jane and Michael knew, had never been done before. Down, of course, for they had often done it themselves. But up -- never! They gazed curiously at the strange new visitor.'
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:43am On Mar 07, 2012
the secret garden

'"Not but that it's a grand big place in a gloomy way, and Mr. Craven's proud of it in his way-- and that's gloomy enough, too. The house is six hundred years old, and it's on the edge of the moor, and there's a hundred rooms in it, though most of them's shut up and locked. And there's pictures and fine old furniture and things that's been there for ages, and there's a big park round it and gardens and trees with branches trailing to the ground-- some of them," She paused and took another breath. "But there's nothing else," she ended suddenly.'
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:46am On Mar 07, 2012
Narrative of the life of frederick douglass

'In moments of agony, I envied my fellow-slaves for their stupidity. I have often wished myself a beast. I preferred the condition of the meanest reptile to my own. Any thing, no matter what, to get rid of thinking! It was this everlasting thinking of my condition that tormented me,  The silver trump of freedom had roused my soul to eternal wakefulness. . . . .'
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:54am On Mar 07, 2012
tom's midnight garden

The first branches grew conveniently low, and the main trunk had bosses and crevices. With the toes of his left foot fitted into one of these last, Tom curved his hands around the branch over his head. Then he gave a push, a spring and a strong haul on the arms: his legs and feet were dangling free, and the branch was under his chest, and then under his middle. He drew himself still further forward, at the same time twisting himself expertly; now he was sitting on the bough, a man’s height above ground.

The rest of the ascent was easy but interesting: sometimes along the spreading outermost branches, sometimes working close to the main trunk, Tom loved the dry feel of the bark on the main trunk. In places the bark had peeled away, and then a deep pink showed beneath, as though the tree were skin and flesh beneath the brown. Up and up he went, and burst at last from the dim interior into an openness of blue and fiery gold. The sun was the gold, in a blue sky. All around him was a spreading tufted surface of evergreen. He was on a level with the tall south wall….

**one of my favorite books**
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:54am On Mar 07, 2012
The skates were on, and now Hatty and Tom were ready for the ice; two skaters on one pair of skates, which seemed to Tom both the eeriest and the most natural thing in the world. A new skill and power came into him, as though these skates knew their work better than the skater: he could skate as well as Hatty, because these were her skates…

They did not skate with linked hands, as many skating partners did, for fear of the odd appearance being noticed but once they had left behind the thick crowds of sociable skaters just below the town, they skated abreast, keeping time together, stroke for stroke. There was no wind at all that afternoon, and they cut through the still air, faster and faster.

Hatty had pinned her skirt up above her ankles, for greater freedom of movement; and now she abandoned the use of her muff, the better to swing her arms in time with their skating. Their speed made the muff fly out behind her on its cord, and at last a stroke gave it such a violent fling that the cord broke and the fur ball shot away and landed in the middle of a game of bandy and somehow became part of the game and was never seen again. Hatty saw it disappear, and neither stopped nor faltered in her course but only laughed, as though she cared nothing now for muffs or improprieties or aunts. They skated on…
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 08, 2012
The Godfather by Mario Puzo

On the day after the murder of Sollozzo and Captain McCluskey, the police captains and lieutenants in every station house in New York City sent out the word: there would be no more gambling, no more prost[i]i[/i]tution, no more deals of any kind until the murderer of Captain McCluskey was caught. Massive raids began all over the city. All unlawful business activities came to a standstill.

Later that day an emissary from the Families asked the Corleone Family if they were prepared to give up the murderer. They were told that the affair did not concern them. That night a bomb exploded in the Corleone Family mall in Long Beach, thrown from a car that pulled up to the chain, then roared away. That night also two button men of the Corleone family were killed as they peaceably ate their dinner in a small Italian restaurant in Greenwich Village. The Five Families War of 1946 had begun.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 11:21am On Mar 09, 2012
wbb
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 09, 2012
tpia@:

wbb
Once in a while I do get my blonde spells, so these www acronyms elude me sometimes. undecided
The above abbreviation could mean anything, from "Will Be Back" to "Women Beyond Borders". You mean the former, right? tongue
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 09, 2012
Of Man and Lion by Beatrice Erlwanger

It was rare that Ben and Max disagreed. Ben was a handsome, hunky man with corded muscles and an aura of animal strength which captivated women the way light attracts moths. His physique was uncommon in Botswana, where men were generally short and slight, with bushmen blood in ample evidence. He knew where his attraction lay and had taken up weight-lifting twice a week to keep in prime condition.

*I was amused by the part in italics*
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:06pm On Mar 09, 2012
Good Girl:

Once in a while I do get my blonde spells, so these www acronyms elude me sometimes. undecided
The above abbreviation could mean anything, from "Will Be Back" to "Women Beyond Borders". You mean the former, right? tongue

it means will be back smiley
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:35pm On Mar 09, 2012
steve jobs by walter isaacson

(Y)ou should never start a company with the goal of getting rich. Your goal should be making something you believe in and making a company that will last.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:35pm On Mar 09, 2012
People DO judge a book by its cover. We may have the best product, the highest quality, the most useful software etc.; if we present them in a slipshod manner, they will be perceived as slipshod; if we present them in a creative, professional manner, we will impute the desired qualities.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:36pm On Mar 09, 2012
Jobs decided that Apple stores should have only one entrance, which would make it easier to control the experience.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:36pm On Mar 09, 2012
If something isn’t right, you can’t just ignore it and say you’ll fix it later,” he said. “That’s what other companies do.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:38pm On Mar 09, 2012
Deciding what not to do is as important as deciding what to do,” he said. “That’s true for companies, and it’s true for products.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by mkmyers45(m): 12:56am On Mar 10, 2012
You dont know what you are into, you may already have a tiger by the tail - Tiger by the Tail (James Hadley Chase)
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by mkmyers45(m): 1:17am On Mar 10, 2012
…I cannot refrain from doubting
that there exist any genuine
realizations of our deepest
character except war and illness,
those two infinities of nightmare," - Journey to the end of the Earth
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by mkmyers45(m): 12:42pm On Mar 10, 2012
If you were to turn into a snake tomorrow and begin devouring humans, and from the same mouth you started devouring humans, you cried out to me 'I love you,' would I still be able to say 'I love you' the same way I do today? - Ichimaru Gin (Bleach 305)

1 Like

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by cantell(m): 12:48pm On Mar 10, 2012
A terrorist is made, not born - Icarus Agenda by Robert Ludlum.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 11, 2012
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 11, 2012
For here lies Juliet, and her beauty makes
This vault a feasting presence full of light.
Romeo and Juliet...W.S
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by lovehouse(m): 2:44pm On Mar 13, 2012
Quote "In my classes i strongly urge students to learn to take risks, to be bold, to let their genius convert that fear into power and brilliance" Book title- Rich dad poor dad(page141)

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 15, 2012
The Fortunate Pilgrim by Mario Puzo

Like many others this illiterate, untrained peasant woman had the power of life and death over the human beings nearest to her. On every day in every year people must condemn and betray their loved ones. Lucia Santa did not think in terms of sentiment. But love and pity had value, a certain weight in life.

The man who had fathered her children, rescued her from a desperate and helpless widowhood, and wakened her to delight, was no longer of any real value to her. He would bring war into the family. Octavia might leave; she would marry early to escape him. He would be a liability in the battle against life. She had her duty to the children, big and small. She dismissed love that was personal, an emotion of luxury, of uncomplicated lives.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Mar 16, 2012
Dolores Clairborne, Stephen King:
Joe was around her,touchin her, askin her for kisses, askin her to touch him in his "special places" (that's what he called em), and tellin her that he couldn't help it, he had to ask-she was nice to him, I wasn't, a man had certain needs, and that was all there was to it. But she couldn't tell. If she did, he said, I might kill both of them. He kep telling her about what a cold, bad-tempered bitch I was and about how he couldn't help it because a man had certain needs. He drilled those things into her, Andy, until she was half-crazy with em.
Yes, he worked, all right, but his kind of work didn't slow him down much when it came to chasin his daughter.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nickydrake(m): 8:20am On Mar 19, 2012
SHE HELPED WITH THE PREPARATIONS, AND HE HELPED HER TO HELP.

The Elk by Saki. It's a short story.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by malaria(f): 2:19pm On Mar 21, 2012
"A widow is a woman who knows where her husband is everynight" Book title-HOW TO KILL YOUR HUSBAND.
Author-cant rember
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nickydrake(m): 3:03pm On Mar 22, 2012
The true
adventurer goes forth aimless
and uncalculating to meet and
greet unknown fate. A fine
example was the Prodigal Son--
when he started back home.

The Green Door
O. Henry.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by ChiomaClement: 12:06am On Mar 23, 2012
The things a man desire from his wife: 1. A wife who will satify him sexually; 2. A wife who will bear him children; 3. A wife, who will be a good manager at home; 4. A wife, who is a companion, a friend , and a confident; 5. A wife who obeys and respects him; 6. A wife who understands him, trust him and defends him. The secret behind successful marriage by Onyeiwu A. C. L.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by x30994575(f): 3:23am On Mar 23, 2012
A widow is a woman, who know her husband is fluffier" title of how to kill your husband
guild wars 2 gold
diablo 3 gold
diablo 3 gold
guild wars 2 gold
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Nickydrake(m): 7:52pm On Mar 26, 2012
Tpia@:
And certainly both horses were
doing, if not all they could, all they
thought they could, which is not
quite the same thing

You failed to mention the title and author of the work but the extract does have a familiar ring.

Isn't it a short story by some guy or other about a doctor who was called to certify a certain lad a potentially dangerous lunatic but would not do so because he believed the boy was just harmlessly stupid?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Life Of A Star (a Celebrity Story) / Ultimate Guide: How To Earn More As A Freelance Writer / The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.