Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,526 members, 7,823,285 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. (18491 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? / Most Uninteresting Book You Have Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia1: 4:46am On Aug 17, 2014
anytime i hear lynch these days, my mind immediately goes to aluu 4.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia1: 4:59am On Aug 17, 2014
The Silver Chair

“One thing I’d like to know,” said Puddleglum, “is whether anyone from our world–from up-a-top, I mean–has ever done this trip before?”

“Many have taken ship at the pale beaches,” replied the Warden, “and–”

“Yes, I know,” interrupted Puddleglum. “And few return to the sunlit lands. You needn’t say it again. You are a chap of one idea, aren’t you?”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia1: 5:01am On Aug 17, 2014
The Magician's Nephew

“…But I cannot tell that to this old sinner, and I cannot comfort him either; he has made himself unable to hear my voice. If I spoke to him, he
would hear only growlings and roarings. Oh Adam's sons, how cleverly you defend yourselves against all that might do you good! But I will give him
the only gift he is still able to receive.”

He bowed his great head rather sadly, and breathed into the Magician's terrified face.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia1: 1:21am On Oct 25, 2014
“If you run now, without a moment's rest, you will still be in time. . ."

Shasta's heart fainted at these words for he felt he had no strength left. And he writhed inside at what seemed the cruelty and unfairness of the demand. He had not yet learned that if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to do another and harder and better one.

The Horse and His Boy.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia6: 6:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
The City of Ember

The Instructions

When the city of Ember was just built and not yet inhabited, the Chief Builder and the Assistant Builder, both of them weary, sat down to speak of the future.

“They must not leave the city for at least two hundred years,” said the Chief Builder. “Or perhaps two hundred and twenty.”

“Is that long enough?” asked his Assistant.

“It should be. We can’t know for sure.”

“And when the time comes,” said the Assistant, “how will they know what to do?”

“We’ll provide them with instructions, of course,” the Chief Builder replied.

“But who will keep the instructions? Who can we trust to keep them safe and secret all that time?”

“The mayor of the city will keep the instructions,” said the Chief Builder. “We’ll put them in a box with a timed lock, set to open on the proper date.”

“And will we tell the mayor what’s in the box?” the Assistant asked.

“No, just that it’s information they won’t need and must not see until the box opens of its own accord.”

“So the first mayor will pass the box to the next mayor, and that one to the next, and so on down through the years, all of them keeping it secret, all that time?”

“What else can we do?” asked the Chief Builder. “Nothing about this endeavor is certain. There may be no one left in the city by then or no safe place for them to come back to.”

The box ended up at the back of a closet, shoved behind some old bags and bundles. There it sat, unnoticed, year after year, until its time arrived, and the lock quietly clicked open.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Babalakin(m): 10:20am On Oct 28, 2014
The enterprise was successfully terminated ; and for its first dispatch young America addressed old Europe in this words of wisdom."Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill towards men"....

20000 leagues under the sea by jules verne
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia6: 1:54am On Oct 30, 2014
"Death Be Not Proud" (poem)

death be not proud . . . . . . .

Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia6: 1:56am On Oct 30, 2014
Vanity (from Bible)

What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Babe2sure(f): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2015
Don Corleone: Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Bonasera: What do you want of me? Tell me anything, but do what I beg you to do.

Don Corleone: What is that? [Bonasera whispers his request in the Don's ear] That I cannot do.

Bonasera: I will give you anything you ask.

Don Corleone: We've known each other many years, but this is the first time you ever came to me for counsel or for help. I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And, uh, you were afraid to be in my debt.

Bonasera: I didn't want to get into trouble.

Don Corleone: I understand. You found paradise in America, you had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. And you didn't need a friend like me. But, uh, now you come to me, and you say: "Don Corleone, give me justice." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me Godfather. Instead, you come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married, and you ask me to do murder for money.

Bonasera: I ask for justice.

Don Corleone: That is not justice. Your daughter is still alive.

Bonasera: Let them suffer then, as she suffers. How much shall I pay you?

Don Corleone: Bonasera, Bonasera. What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd come to me in friendship, then this scum that wounded your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you.

Bonasera: Be my friend – Godfather.
[Bonasera bows toward the Don and kisses the Don's hand]

Don Corleone: Good. Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day – accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day.

Bonasera: Grazie, Godfather.

The Godfather- Mario Puzo.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by losprince(m): 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
The deepest place in hell is reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in trying times-inferno
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 6:02am On Feb 19, 2015
^ name of the book and author.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 6:03am On Feb 19, 2015
will post something from Kaine Agary's Yellow Yellow as soon as i'm done reading it.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by trublvr(f): 10:54am On Feb 19, 2015
“Robert Neville looked out over the new people of the earth. He knew he did not belong to them; he knew that, like the vampires, he was anathema and black terror to be destroyed. And, abruptly, the concept came, amusing to him even in his pain. ... Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.” - I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

That phrase "the unassailable fortress of forever" just caught my eye. I really enjoyed this novella.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by Babe2sure(f): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
I can tell you the license plate numbers of all six cars outside. I can tell you that our waitress is left-handed and the guy sitting up at the counter weighs two hundred fifteen pounds and knows how to handle himself. I know the best place to look for a gun is the cab or the gray truck outside, and at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking. Now why would I know that? How can I know that and not know who I am?
- Jason Bourne.

The Bourne Identity- Robert Ludlum.

Tom Cronin: He's making his first mistake.
Nicky: It's not a mistake. They don't make mistakes. They don't do random. There's always an objective. Always a target.
Pamela Landy: The objectives and targets always came from us. Who's giving them to him now?
Nicky: Scary version? He is.

The Bourne Supremacy- Robert Ludlum.

This is Jason Bourne, the toughest target that you have ever tracked. He is really good at staying alive, and trying to kill him and failing... just pisses him off. -Pamela Landy

The Bourne Ultimatum- Robert Ludlum.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:29pm On Feb 19, 2015
“What is past is past. never go back. Not for excuses. Not for justification, not for happiness. You are what you are, the world is what it is.”

― Mario Puzo, The Last Don
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:30pm On Feb 19, 2015
“We are a family, and the loyalty of the family must come before anything and everyone else. For if we honor that commitment, we will never be vanquished-but if we falter in that loyalty we will all be condemned.”

― Mario Puzo, The Family
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2015
“Some honorable men spend their whole life preparing for a supreme act of treachery”

― Mario Puzo, Omerta
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
“Perhaps conscience did not always produce cowards. Sometimes it made a man feel better about himself.”

― Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Supremacy

1 Like

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:36pm On Feb 19, 2015
“It was important to keep moving. Certain struggles continued. Others had to be brought to a close. The wisdom was in deciding which.”

― Robert Ludlum, The Gemini Contenders
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:40pm On Feb 19, 2015
“Sooner or later we've all got to let go of our past.”

― Dan Brown, Deception Point
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
“Open your minds, my friends. We all fear what we do not understand.”

― Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 5:43pm On Feb 19, 2015
“Can you keep secrets? Can you know a thing and never say it again?”

― Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiadotcom: 5:23am On Apr 21, 2015
"It must have been a very strange lion, for instead of catching you out of the saddle and getting his teeth into you, he has only drawn his claws across your back."

"I say!" said Aravis " I have had luck".

"I have now lived a hundred and nine winters in this world and have never met any such thing as Luck" (answered the hermit). "There is something about all this that I do not understand: but if we ever need to know it, you may be sure that we shall.”

The Horse and His Boy.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiander: 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
tpia5:
A Stitch in Time by Ann Rinaldi

" It's what you've been trying to do all along" he elaborated, "make up for matters that can never be right in this family. Things happen to people in life, Hannah. Terrible things that change people, that sometimes ruin families. You cant set yourself up above such things and try to make them as before. It doesnt work"

" What's the harm in trying?" (she asked)."Especially if some good comes out of it?"

"The harm, Hannah, is that you hurt everyone trying. You open up old wounds. You go against the tide. You prevent the healing. And who's to say good will come out of (what you're doing)?"
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiander: 7:25pm On Oct 11, 2015
He nodded. "You set the course for us, Hannah, not I. . . "

"I dont blame you for that"

"What do you blame me for then?"

"For being a man. . . I suppose"

"I accept that Hannah" he said. . .

I nodded. There was no more to say.

-A Stitch in time
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by ikare(m): 8:54pm On Oct 11, 2015
''so dark the corn of man'', Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiander: 9:07pm On Oct 11, 2015
ikare:
''so dark the con of man'', Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

con, not corn.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 10:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.”

The Magician's Nephew
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2015
—repetitions. Meaning how many times you lift the weight. Reps are divided into sets. For example—

Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpiah11: 12:02am On Nov 07, 2015
“But still, if it's true, how can it be a lie?”

Pippi Longstocking
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by itstpia8: 4:18am On Nov 16, 2015
“I should be glad to see a good change in anybody, Mr. Godfrey.' she answered, with the slightest discernible difference of tone, 'but it 'ud be better if no change was wanted.”

Silas Marner
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by nicholausian(m): 10:23am On Nov 17, 2015
Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Page 271
... He had taken on a careful and calibrated charm. He said "Oh dear" often. When Phillip complained about the French couple building a house next to his in Cornwall, Emenike asked, "Are they between you and the sunset?"
Are they between you and the sunset? It would never occur to Obinze, or to anybody he had grown up with, to ask a question like that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

THE BLACKMAIL / The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story / Chimamanda Adichie Calls Melania Trump Racist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.