Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,419 members, 7,830,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1423) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8773887 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1420) (1421) (1422) (1423) (1424) (1425) (1426) ... (14174) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by pelvicky(m): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2015
ROONEY THE GREAT LEGEND
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 6:45pm On Feb 14, 2015
elampiro:
Rooney they said cannot score as a midfielder. Whereas no midfielder has scored as many as ROONEY has from the midfield. If not for wastefulness of RVP and Di Maria, Rooney would have at least 10 assists already.

Rooney scored:
1 against Hull
2 against Newcastle.
1 goal, 1 Assists against Liverpool.

I dare anyone to bring up any midfielder with this statistics. I have not even considered the clear cut chances he created for Di Maria and RVP in these matches. Rooney is our best midfielder. Van Gaal should sweet talk him to play his heart for him and also warn RVP and Di Maria not to waste Rooney's chances again.

What did Herrera bring to the field when he came on against Southampton? The midfield became weaker and Wayanma ate Carrick and Herrera for food.
just curious.
But else could he have eaten them for? grin

Hope u and rooney had fun today grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by parrotibaba(m): 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2015
elampiro:

That's FA Cup. Everything being discussed here has to do with the league.
accept ur mistake for once in ur life Elampawa!!! ,u said "Fellaini has not had an assist the whole season ,u never mentioned d league
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:38pm On Feb 14, 2015
parrotibaba:
accept ur mistake for once in ur life Elampawa!!! ,u said "Fellaini has not had an assist the whole season ,u never mentioned d league

You are the one who made a mistake. When they said Rooney has not had a goal, Assists and SHTG this year, every reasonable human knew it was about the league alone. All subsequent arguments followed that pattern. It's simple logic.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 10:51pm On Feb 14, 2015
leggo:
soon, real soon
Smh.gringrin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 10:52pm On Feb 14, 2015
incredibleone:
u really miss me that much that everyone sounds like me to u?
My friend,go and sit down! Who missed you? Attention-seeking clown.undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 11:03pm On Feb 14, 2015
Falcao may be misfiring in front of goal,falling down easily like a stick and all that. That doesn't mean we should just write him off yet or call him a 'flop' and a waste of money.

I understand our frustrations with him as Man.United fans,but we should understand his situation. He just got back from an almost career-ending knee ligament injury and while he is still recuperating,we snatched him up,atleast on loan. And he has tried his best so far. Compared with other players who suffered similar injury last year(Christian Benteke,Kevin Strootman,etc),Falcao has tried and hopefully he can get even better. He just need time. And the season is going. We should be patience and wait to assess his performance at the end of the season. All these negativities about him won't do any good.

smiley
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:18pm On Feb 14, 2015
Why on earth is Wayne Rooney playing midfielder for Manchester United?

These days, Wayne Rooney, who is Manchester United's third greatest goal scorer of all time, finds himself sitting deep and playing in the midfield.

At the moment, Rooney has 224 goals in his Manchester United career. Should he score another 13 wearing red, Rooney will move into second place in the storied club's scoring hierarchy. If Rooney hangs around for another 25 goals, he will tie Sir Bobby Charlton as the top goal scorer in Manchester United history. Even more impressive, Rooney will likely have accomplished the feat in about 200 fewer appearances than the knighted legend. Soon enough, he'll be called "Sir Wayne Rooney."

So, why on earth is Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal playing a tried and tested forward as a utility midfielder?

When Daley Blind went off injured against Burnley on Wednesday, Rooney dropped off the right midfielder position and played at the base of the diamond in a 4-4-2 setup. Rooney assumed the deepest midfielder spot, which seems mad unless one truly analyzes why Van Gaal made the switch.

Rooney may well be the first name on the Manchester United team sheet, but he's likely one of the last ones to fill a position. Van Gaal has two top strikers in Radamel Falcao and Robin van Persie, and neither of them can play elsewhere. Attack-minded midfielders such as Juan Mata, Adnan Januzaj and Angel Di Maria provide the boss with enough attacking talent, but none of them offer the steady security of Rooney in a deep midfielder position.

Based on the talent available in attack, Rooney should, in theory, not be needed to create goals for the Red Devils. In reality, Di Maria has been struggling, Januzaj is going through a sophomore slump, Mata rarely strings together even two solid games and both Falcao and Van Persie are altogether failing to produce.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:23pm On Feb 14, 2015
Despite the struggles, those individual players have been afforded opportunities to fail and try again. Thus, Rooney remains in the midfield despite finishing as the club's top scorer with 17 goals only a season ago. To put that number in perspective, Rooney and Sergio Aguero tied for fourth in the Premier League, ahead of players like Olivier Giroud and Wilfried Bony.

If United needs a bruising powerful midfielder to play in front of the defense, why not turn to Marouane Fellaini instead?

Blind assumes the base of the diamond for his defensive positioning and ability to spray accurate passes that relieve pressure. The role requires a reliable passer more than it requires a bruising ball winner. The ability to spread the ball wide and not give the ball away in front of the defense are the position's most vital function. However, an ability to tackle and take up a disciplined defensive position is also important to the role.

If Blind stays out for extended time, Rooney will likely continue at the base of the diamond because Fellaini is, frankly, not reliable enough of a passer. Fellaini is a route-one forward that uses his elbows in opposing boxes. He is not the player that patrols the midfield and sets off an attack via outlet passes. He may come on to occasionally help kill a game, but the Belgian is rarely used as a central midfielder in Van Gaal's vision of Manchester United.

Ander Herrera was a midfielder bought over the summer with a direct eye to playing in the middle of the park, but the Spaniard is simply not as strong and steady as Rooney. Given the choice, Rooney fills every midfield role better than Herrera. So, when Blind went off injured, Herrera came in but Rooney moved from the right of midfield to the base of the diamond.
On the surface, the player destined to finish his career as England's and Manchester United's top scorer playing in midfield makes absolutely no sense, especially with United lacking sharpness in attack. Surely, Rooney could help create chemistry, score chances or at least help create them. However, when digging into the options, Manchester United needs more help in midfield than it does in attack – on paper, anyway.

Sadly, Rooney's only fault is that he assumes every role the boss asks him to play effortlessly, and his ability to excel all over the park does not limit him to the area where he excels best – in front of goal.

As mad as it may be to admit, Rooney in the midfield makes sense for Manchester United.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-fc-yahoo/why-on-earth-is-wayne-rooney-playing-midfielder-for-manchester-united-004650745.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:45pm On Feb 14, 2015
So Rooney has scored 224 goals for Man United being played out of position season after season? Sir Wayne Rooney deserves more than he earns. cheesy

I am very satisfied with the writers detailed analysis of the situation on why Rooney is put ahead of Fellaini, Herrera, Januzaj, Mata and Di Maria in midfield. I actually felt Fellaini would come in for Blind as a DM, but when I saw Herrera I knew Rooney would be the one to step in for Blind. Someone sees things the way Gaal and I see them. Rooney is only helping us out in the deep roles. Whether anyone is dissatisfied is a different thing all together.

I like Di Maria in midfield but when he played there he hardly lasted beyond the 60th minute mark because of the big space left there having to play two poachers.

Kabiyesi Wayne Rooney. grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 12:58am On Feb 15, 2015
grin coogar cme help elampiro.
E b like Rooney give am enough gift n him gv am 4 bak too
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BinghiNya(m): 4:14am On Feb 15, 2015
How can a useless player score 224 goals, united fans on nairaland lack objectivity, if rooney had been in his striker's role for ever, he would have been united's all time scorer, HRH Wayne Rooney, I didn't collect any gift from him

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 6:11am On Feb 15, 2015
elampiro:

How is winning CL an individual award?

Ronaldo and Messi have not won world cup. They have not won golden boot at the world cup.

Rooney was Europe cup youngest scorer ever. He has won world best striker and became the 5th best footballer in the world. Rooney has won CL too.

When will Muller be valued at 300k/week? feather weight Muller who earns peanuts.

World cup top scorer, Best young player at a world cup, 5th in ballon dor tell us about Wayne Rooney.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BinghiNya(m): 7:42am On Feb 15, 2015
raumdeuter:

World cup top scorer, Best young player at a world cup, 5th in ballon dor tell us about Wayne Rooney.
dayo leave story, Nationalmannschaft is naturally ahead of the three lions, if rooneys plays for bayern he would be a legend. Rooney is a football legend

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 8:03am On Feb 15, 2015
BinghiNya:
dayo leave story, Nationalmannschaft is naturally ahead of the three lions, if rooneys plays for bayern he would be a legend. Rooney is a football legend

Rooney is a football bellend.

Rooney cant play for Bayern, He is a football dinosaur with not iota of skill

Rooney can only play football because he is ENglish and his competition are Lambert, Lallana and Andy Carrol

Maybe Rooney can be compared to German players like Odonkor or Daniel Bierofka, definitely not legends like Thomas Muller
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrcapability7: 8:58am On Feb 15, 2015
raumdeuter:

Rooney is a football bellend.

Rooney cant play for Bayern, He is a football dinosaur with not iota of skill

Rooney can only play football because he is ENglish and his competition are Lambert, Lallana and Andy Carrol

Maybe Rooney can be compared to German players like Odonkor or Daniel Bierofka, definitely not legends like Thomas Muller
You're a bastard

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:19am On Feb 15, 2015
Facts remains that since the arrival of the new players, Rooney has either at least scored a goal or assisted a goal whenever he was used as a number 9 or a number 10. To the best of my knowledge. QPR, Leicester, West Ham, Arsenal, Southampton. Rooney actually should get the front role before any other. But he is a victim of his versatility and ability to roam and battle.

* The last time Rooney played the number 10 for us was against Arsenal, he scored and he could have got 2 Assist if the linesman had not wrongly flagged him offside when he broke free from a counter attack, and if Di Maria finished the one vs one.

After this Rooney was sent to midfield after all our CMs got injured and Van Persie played alone upfront. Then he got injured himself.

* The last time Rooney played as a striker he provided an assists even though he just returned from injury. Before then he had played as a striker against QPR and West Ham with two goals and one assist in both matches.

Now, there have been a few times either Falcao or RVP was not in team selection, Gaal persisted wit Rooney in midfield while Di Maria and even Fellaini were used as strikers. May be this is where Rooney will play until summer when new players will likely arrive. if I were Rooney I would ask to play in striking position when either RVP or Falcao is not playing there. Or is he ready to convert to midfield permanently now? May be he might request for a transfer if he is not satisfied in the position. Watching Gaal and Rooney.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 10:55am On Feb 15, 2015
Nigerian league is underrated.
This kano pillars vs eyimba match has been more interesting than united's last few games.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 11:40am On Feb 15, 2015
PietroRico:
Nigerian league is underrated.
This kano pillars vs eyimba match has been more interesting than united's last few games.
lollz
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Odunharry(m): 12:03pm On Feb 15, 2015
if we win 3 more matches in the FA CUP,we will be in the Final
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2015
Danhumprey:
Falcao may be misfiring in front of goal,falling down easily like a stick and all that. That doesn't mean we should just write him off yet or call him a 'flop' and a waste of money.

I understand our frustrations with him as Man.United fans,but we should understand his situation. He just got back from an almost career-ending knee ligament injury and while he is still recuperating,we snatched him up,atleast on loan. And he has tried his best so far. Compared with other players who suffered similar injury last year(Christian Benteke,Kevin Strootman,etc),Falcao has tried and hopefully he can get even better. He just need time. And the season is going. We should be patience and wait to assess his performance at the end of the season. All these negativities about him won't do any good.

smiley

That name rings bells. When I first came to this thread, it was being promoted that we sell Rooney and buy Benteke because he scored 19 goals for a middle table team. Sine that time Benteke has scored only 12 goals and 3 Assists in 3350 minutes playing as a striker. grin

Ukwu!!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 2:35pm On Feb 15, 2015
elampiro:

That name rings bells. When I first came to this thread, it was being promoted that we sell Rooney and buy Benteke because he scored 19 goals for a middle table team. Sine that time Benteke has scored only 12 goals and 3 Assists in 3350 minutes playing as a striker. grin

Ukwu!!!

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by raumdeuter: 4:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mrcapability7:
You're a bastard

Is that the only thing you have to contribute here?

Looking at your profile and seeing your previous posts and picture says everything I need to know about you
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrcapability7: 6:33pm On Feb 15, 2015
raumdeuter:

Is that the only thing you have to contribute here?

Looking at your profile and seeing your previous posts and picture says everything I need to know about you
seriously tel me what do u knw abt me
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 6:43pm On Feb 15, 2015
^^^

The two people above me are clowns!gringringringrin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 6:49pm On Feb 15, 2015
Danhumprey:
^^^

wink

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrcapability7: 6:57pm On Feb 15, 2015
Danhumprey:
^^^

reserving my football knowledge cause i haven't met mi fellow collobo but hoping sir that the word CLOWN:-/ wasn't pointin at me either.. Thank you
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 7:27pm On Feb 15, 2015
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Danhumprey: 7:28pm On Feb 15, 2015
Mrcapability7:
reserving my football knowledge cause i haven't met mi fellow collobo but hoping sir that the word CLOWN:-/ wasn't pointin at me either.. Thank you
Guy,relax jor! See as your mind dey hot.grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by SailorXY: 7:43pm On Feb 15, 2015
JayKayMaybachz:

wink
gaddamit... guys badt gaan, no respect cheesy
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Mrcapability7: 7:49pm On Feb 15, 2015
Danhumprey:
Guy,relax jor! See as your mind dey hot.grin
it can only get worse if you tried to provoke BY-passing stranger like Mrcapability. Be your own vigilant :p
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:34pm On Feb 15, 2015
Danhumprey:
Smh!gringringrin

grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1420) (1421) (1422) (1423) (1424) (1425) (1426) ... (14174) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.