Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3323) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8681949 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3320) (3321) (3322) (3323) (3324) (3325) (3326) ... (14144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 11:53am On Sep 19, 2016
Diademk07:

Pirlo wasn't consistent throughout that season though because he was ageing. He's also the better player between him and Carrick.
getting carrick to play 60mins of football is not bad, it's not like he would play every game.
chrisley024:
Pirlo na even Scholes' father not to talk of Carrick in the midfield.
we're not talking about who the better player is, we're talking their abilities and what they bring to the team, pirlo reads the game and is a good passer just like carrick, pirlo being better is another case, am just using pirlo as an example to drive my point of using ageing players like carrick until a replacement is bought.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 11:57am On Sep 19, 2016
elampiro:

He said Van Gaal made the team looked better than it really was.

Have! Kagawa10

Gaal inherited the same team SAF passed to Moyes. Chicharito, Kagawa, Mata, Fellaini, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Di Maria, Herrera, Nani were all in the hands of Gaal. What did he do?

Nope, Van gaal didn't inherit Evra, Vidic, Ferdinard, a younger 30-31 Carrick, a younger inform RVP. 4 of those players got into the best 11 of Epl team in Fergie last reign.

Chichrito and Kagawa both left for a first team football whereas Nani was unfit. Di Maria already had his brain located in Psg while looking like his former inconsistent self.
Others were just plain average players!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 12:02pm On Sep 19, 2016
tess1:

I totally disagree with " our problem is not in the midfield we have a very strong midfield".
Our midfield yesterday was very poor. We lacked creativity and pace in that midfield. A midfield where Pogba and Rooney who were the most advanced in the three couldn't create any chance in open play. Fellaini as limited as he is created two chances from open play. Does this not tell is where the problem lies? None of them can play make. One is always making the simplest things look difficult.

JM needs to make a tough decision in that our midfield if our play is to improve. We have Carrick and Teiger who can dictate play and easily rotate them because of age and injury. I can't blame the defence so much because of the combination of the midfielder he's using.
seems my write up was a bit confusing, i was not trying to say that the midfield trio of afro man, wazza and pogba weren't poor, am just saying that we've good options in the midfield that [if combined right] would make our midfield good, hence my assertion of midfield not being our problem.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by tess1(m): 12:04pm On Sep 19, 2016
weedtaker:
seems my write up was a bit confusing, i was not trying to say that the midfield trio of afro man, wazza and pogba weren't poor, am just saying that we've good options in the midfield that [if combined right] would make our midfield good

Yeah, it's the way you put it. I later saw clarification.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 12:05pm On Sep 19, 2016
Funlordjnr:

"UEFA chief technical officer Ioan Lupescu, who led the panel of technical observers that
named Griezmann as the BEST PLAYER of UEFA Euro 2016, said that "He works hard for his team and possesses technique, vision and quality finishing" and branded him "a threat in every game he played. A quick, modern, and versatile left-footed forward, with an eye for goal."

"Griezmann has been described as a "TEAM PLAYER", and is capable of occupying
several offensive positions in or behind the
main attacking line, due to his technical skills,
ability to drop deep and link-up play between
the forwards and midfielders, or score many
goals with both feet as well as his head: he has
been deployed as a main striker, in a central
role as an attacking midfielder, or as a winger,
on either flank."

"In addition to his ability to BOTH SCORE and CREATE GOALS, he has also been praised for his work rate, attacking movement, positional sense, and ability to interpret the game, which, combined with his pace, mobility and energy, enables him to make effective attacking runs to beat the defensive line. He is also accurate from penalties and set-pieces."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Griezmann

I won't even bother with his club statistics, But to you na fraud him be abi? With this your love for the term fraud you suppose just go join efcc!

All that doesn't negate the fact that he's at his best as a second striker and apart from his goals, he contributed little else!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by landinfo: 12:43pm On Sep 19, 2016
sinizia:

Mourinho has no tactics whatsoever for now. Give Mourinho Man City and he'd probably bench KDB and play 3 defensive midfielders. grin

Gbam!!!!
Yrs ago, I told someone that Barcelona under Mourinho would become defensive & no longer offensive cos I see even Messi becoming their no 5 week in week out. Mourinho is good but pple are now countering his style of play & worse is when Mourinho believes in playing defensive even against an Aston Villa not a Madrid or a Bayern

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 12:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
eph12:

That guy just hate Fellaini for no reason. Too bad. If it's because of his previous poor performance for us then he needs to have a rethink because that's the only guy in our midfield that has been trying to keep it together. Because Pogba cost whatever he has refused to criticise Pogba but putting all the blame on Fellaini. Rubbish

Funny enough I'm supposed to be one of those that often lambast Fellaini because of the way I was against his signing and I was even lambasted for my negative views.

On the other hand, I welcomed Herrera signing although I was of the opinion that Koke would have been a better signing for us but one Basque fanatic convinced me Herrera has better potentials than Koke. I couldn't claim otherwise because I've only seen little of him whereas I had seen plenty of Koke at the euros u21, super cup vs Chelsea and some other matches. But then, I was aware that Herera had a good game against us in the europa, so I had no problem with his signing.

Looking at the way things turned out, I'm supposed to support Herrera while gleefully lambasting Fellaini, right? grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 19, 2016
Diademk07:

He's got good movement,

Same Fellaini that can't even draw defenders away from the box or same Fellaini that blocks half of Martials space cheesy

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 1:24pm On Sep 19, 2016
Diademk07:

Funny enough I'm supposed to be one of those that often lambast Fellaini because of the way I was against his signing and I was even lambasted for my negative views.

On the other hand, I welcomed Herrera signing although I was of the opinion that Koke would have been a better signing for us but one Basque fanatic convinced me Herrera has better potentials than Koke. I couldn't claim otherwise because I've only seen little of him whereas I had seen plenty of Koke at the euros u21, super cup vs Chelsea and some other matches. But then, I was aware that Herera had a good game against us in the europa, so I had no problem with his signing.

Looking at the way things turned out, I'm supposed to support Herrera while gleefully lambasting Fellaini, right? grin
Yeah that's true I remember you used to criticise Fellaini a lot then. Tbh I was doing the same two seasons ago even last season but he is currently the only midfielder that has performed. I haven't seen enough of Hererra under Mouriho to form an opinion. And I wouldn't go about forming an opinion based on someone else views but mine only. Anyone that says Fellaini is the problem in the midfield does not know what he's saying.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by landinfo: 1:25pm On Sep 19, 2016
Mou go call una out small small 4 media like hin do Shaw 4 this quote:

'Kolarov has the ball in a difficult situation in the corner and
my player instead of going up and pressing decides to give him space. Today for the second goal, (Nordin) Amrabat on the right side, our left back is 25 metres distance from him, instead of five metres. But even at 25 metres, then you have to jump and go press. But no, we wait.
'This is a tactical but also a mental attitude. In a couple of
weeks, everything like this becomes perfect. That's my job.'
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 1:28pm On Sep 19, 2016
MourinhOUT:

Same Fellaini that can't even draw defenders away from the box or same Fellaini that blocks half of Martials space cheesy
Kikikiki cheesy
So Fellaini is the cause of Martial loss of form? This is embarrassing cry How do you want someone that's supposed to be a DM to be drawing out defenders? Chai
Just stick with your MourihoOut campaign
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 1:28pm On Sep 19, 2016
We need to take it easy on Pogba! He's gonna come good for the Team as soon as possible!

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 1:30pm On Sep 19, 2016
What we do with the ball is so poor and it's affecting what we do without the ball. If Jose sets up his team to make proper use of the ball we wouldn't be having these discussions.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 1:32pm On Sep 19, 2016
Oasis007:
We need to take it easy on Pogba! He's gonna come good for the Team as soon as possible!
Maybe when it dawns on him that he's no Iniesta or Silva and releases the ball when pressed.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 19, 2016
eph12:

Kikikiki cheesy
So Fellaini is the cause of Martial loss of form? This is embarrassing cry How do you want someone that's supposed to be a DM to be drawing out defenders? Chai
Just stick with your MourihoOut campaign

Who is this thing, who brought up Martials form now.

I addressed where Diadem said he has good movement, What's a DM's business with Movement, I was addressing when he was placed higher up the pitch...

Besides this account is a parody, I detest Mourinho, doesn't mean I want him out the door...yet

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 1:39pm On Sep 19, 2016
Lana1:
Considering our manager was Mourinho and considering he spent 89m on one player and got all the tranfers he wanted, was it too much to hope for 13 points from our first 5 games??

I am not talking about this season but about the last 3 seasons. Even during the darkest days of Moyes and LVG this thread was still littered with such unrealistic predictions. Predictions that went against our performances at those times.
Its not all doom and gloom as i expect Mourinho to buckle up and reshape the team cos his managerial career is at risk here. My pre season expectations were top 4 and maybe 2nd and it is still within reach.

And i repeat WASTING all that money on a showboating haircut model when we could have improved our midfield with real quality playmakers and real box 2 box midfielders is one of our major problems this season.

Carrick is getting old, Schweini is old already, Fellaini and Herrera in my opinion are too limited for a club aiming for titles to rely on, Schneiderlin has been a disappointment. Pogba has played in ready made midfields all his life were there are playmakers and true hard working box 2 box midfielders or DMs who can make up for his lack of work rate and lack of tactical discipline. He would struggle to thrive in our present set up.

Also throughout the pursuit of Pogba so Mourinho for him own mind tink say Pogba and Fellaini in a 2 man midfield would work in this EPL with hungry teams? He could not think of a better plan than to play 4 slow poisons in Fellaini, Pogba, Rooney and Zlatan through the middle. D guy must be deluded.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 1:42pm On Sep 19, 2016
I really would love if Mourinho can be bold enough to try out the youngsters against Northampton. Once again, Harrop, Poole, Riley, Tuazenbe and a newly promoted Hamilton were our best players against Villareal B team few weeks ago.

I learnt that Harrop played in the midfield in that match while Willock was deployed upfront as a striker and for the first time, the team looked fluid in their play because they had a playmaker in Harrop. I still don't know why that average Redmond still keep playing in the midfield though.

Anyway, if I were Mourinho, I will try out Harrop seeing that we have no playmaker in the team presently and see how it works out.

Something like this:

.................De Gea...............;

...Riley - Blind/Smalling - TFM - Darmain.....

..................Carrick.............
.........Harrop - Pogba/Morgan.......;

....Lingard - Rashford - Martial.....

Depending on how we turned out, Poole could sub in for Carrick while Tuazenbe comes in for Blind/Smalling.

If they look fantastic in the game...then they should be part of the squad.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 1:51pm On Sep 19, 2016
eph12:

Yeah that's true I remember you used to criticise Fellaini a lot then. Tbh I was doing the same two seasons ago even last season but he is currently the only midfielder that has performed. I haven't seen enough of Hererra under Mouriho to form an opinion. And I wouldn't go about forming an opinion based on someone else views but mine only. Anyone that says Fellaini is the problem in the midfield does not know what he's saying.

Not much on here though but on another united forum..

I was against his signing so tey I told them he will be red-carded in his first game. Most of the forumites were british people, especially (Noxious D) who loves hard men and believed Fellaini is the best thing since slice bread and the final jigsaw for our midfield. I was almost banned for wishing evil on our imminent signing. Lol!

But looking at Fellaini so far, he's done his best and put in a lot of effort in spite of his little quality on the ball.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2016
Of all our players Fellaini has been the one that has played to his highest potential, a shame this highest potential is not much to start with.
Mourinho has to bring Carrick into the team to control the midfield from deep, move Pogba to this LCM role and play someone else Fellaini/Herrera/Schneiderlin at RCM and drop Rooney to the bench. I believe this gives our midfield the best balance

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 1:59pm On Sep 19, 2016
MourinhOUT:

Who is this thing, who brought up Martials form now.

I addressed where Diadem said he has good movement, What's a DM's business with Movement, I was addressing when he was placed higher up the pitch...

Besides this account is a parody, I detest Mourinho, doesn't mean I want him out the door...yet

It's like you hardly watch our game. Fellaini is often used that way whenever we want to get in a quick goal as fast as possible. During that moment, His aerial strength becomes a lot more important in our long ball tactic. Even Smalling was seen in the final third against Feyenoord
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 19, 2016
Diademk07:

It's like you hardly watch our game. Fellaini is often used that way whenever we want to get in a quick goal as fast as possible. During that time, His aerial strength becomes a lot more important in our long ball tactic. Even Smalling was seen in the final third against Feyenoord

Well done, just keep slithering your way round questions cheesy

The prompt was Fellainis movement off the ball is nowhere good enough for a club of Man Utd's caliber,

Yes, he's deployed forward when we are desperate,even defenders move up it's common tactic

But the prompt was how is his ball movement good enough and aerial strength doesn't equate good movement.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2016
MrTA:

Sorry, forgot to post the link.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/lazy-man-united-jose-mourinhos-8867582

Mourinho should fish out the sluggish ones, he has to get them to work or they go to the bench. The defence appears to play too close to the goalkeeper. I don't think Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Fellaini and Pogba are mobile enough. Just my thinking as we don't have the detailed stats.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2016
eph12:

How do you start attack? Is it rocket scienc? How does a Busquet or whoever starts attack? Is it not by releasing it to a player in a forward position or am I missing something? Win ball back or receive from the defender and pass to a player forward abi no be so? Which of this is Fellaini not doing?
Guy it's more than just releasing the ball to a forward player. The timing has to be right. 2 secs delay can kill an attack not to talk of making the right decision in the pass. Dude has done ok, though too limited, but for a club like United, more than that is needed. Other midfielders around him are also slow both in thought and feet.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 2:18pm On Sep 19, 2016
MourinhOUT:

Well done, just keep slithering your way round questions cheesy

The prompt was Fellainis movement off the ball is nowhere good enough for a club of Man Utd's caliber,

Yes, he's deployed forward when we are desperate,even defenders move up it's common tactic

But the prompt was how is his ball movement good enough and aerial strength doesn't equate good movement.

Did you watch him at Everton when he was used as a SS under Moyes?

Also, watch our game against City, he did a good man-marking job on Silva. He was always at the right place at the right time and was even helping to curb out the runs of De bruyne who was Pogba's man. He was doing the works of 2 men in the midfield while Pogba was nowhere to be found.

No one is saying Fellaini is the best thing since slice bread but he's put in a good shift for us even though I would have preferred a more visionary quick thinking technician in that role.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 2:19pm On Sep 19, 2016
eph12:

Maybe when it dawns on him that he's no Iniesta or Silva and releases the ball when pressed.

Lot is wrong with the Team, and we should forget the price tag and be considerate. We need to be playing the Game from the Back, not from the Middle.

You should think about our first 3 Matches, we played well and we enjoyed the Matches! Blind, though still underrated by many United Fans, did a good job in all the Matches!

Perhaps because we lost to City, Everyone was asking for Smalling and we could all see how the Team is playing from the back now! No more confidence!

Our last 2 Matches were nothing to write home about. We were very poor in possession, tactics and the game-plan. I'm not pinning the blame only on Smalling, but we need Blind in the Team more than him.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:27pm On Sep 19, 2016
eph12:
What we do with the ball is so poor and it's affecting what we do without the ball. If Jose sets up his team to make proper use of the ball we wouldn't be having these discussions.

That was evident yesterday. There are times we needed to keep the ball for long after regaining it, the next it is a sudden long ball.

I also think Rashford should be starting from the bench. His decision making is poor. We already have Martial whose decision making is not yet fine tuned. So we should go with Mata or Young as one of the starting wingers. Each time Young drifted to the middle yesterday, he looked sharp carrying the ball forward.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2016
Diademk07:

Did you watch him at Everton when he was used as a SS under Moyes?

Also, watch our game against City, he did a good man-marking job on Silva. He was always at the right place at the right time and was even helping to curb out the runs of De bruyne who was Pogba's man. He was doing the works of 2 men in the midfield while Pogba was nowhere to be found.

No one is saying Fellaini is the best thing since slice bread but he's put in a good shift for us even though I would have preferred a more visionary quick thinking technician in that role.

What does Movement have to do with Man Marking...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MOVEMENT...YOU SAID HE HAS GOOD MOVEMENT and Many pundits don't share your view.

And how can you compare Everton to Man Utd, What was their position in the league when we bought him...We bought him for a Midfield role.

Keep dancing round the question

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 2:42pm On Sep 19, 2016
MourinhOUT:

What does Movement have to do with Man Marking...WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MOVEMENT...YOU SAID HE HAS GOOD MOVEMENT and Many pundits don't share your view.

And how can you compare Everton to Man Utd, What was their position in the league when we bought him...We bought him for a Midfield role.

Keep dancing round the question

What about our match against Westham in the Fa cup? He, Rashford and Carrick were our best players in that game. And don't forget, he was deployed as a box-box CM in that match. His movement and linkup were superb in that game.

Fellaini's off the ball movement has always been superb, he wouldn't have succeeded in a SS role, scoring plenty of goals for Everton if he didn't have that quality.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:48pm On Sep 19, 2016
BOSS: YOUNG'S ATTITUDE MUST RUB OFF

Jose Mourinho feels Ashley Young's positivity needs to act as an example as Manchester United aim to bounce back from three successive defeats.

The games keep coming thick and fast with a trip to Northampton Town in the League Cup followed by an early start next Saturday against champions Leicester City at Old Trafford. Just as the manager was not getting carried away after the fine start to the campaign, he was refusing to be too down after the 3-1 reverse at Watford.

"I have this capacity of balance," he told
MUTV . "Balance is, for me, not running around the pitch when we were winning a couple of matches and nobody sees now me being too depressed. I'm sad. Obviously, I'm sad but, as I was telling the players, there is only one way.

"At 10:30 in the morning, we have a training session and we have to be there. They have to work, they have to show themselves with a certain kind of attitude towards negative moments. I show them, as an example, Ashley Young who was, in my opinion, phenomenal with his attitude, positivity and determination.

"We need positive people to give us a positive feeling because, next time these boys are going onto a football pitch, they are going to feel, obviously as normal human beings, the weight of the defeats."

www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Sep/jose-mourinho-says-ashley-young-positivity-sets-right-example.aspx?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Diademk07: 2:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
http://mufclatest.com/ratings-villarreal/

Above is the u23 player rating vs Villareal Reserves..

Our best players were Poole, Harrop, Riley, Tuazenbe and the newly promoted Hamilton.

From what I gathered from Tuazenbe, he's more of a dribbler than a passer. He's got great physique which makes him a beast in the defence and he often loves to dribble with pace from the back whereas Poole is the better passer and has better vision. Both are like Bailly and Blind combo in defence although Poole is an agile quick player with lot of composure in tight place unlike Blind.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by landinfo: 3:15pm On Sep 19, 2016
Funlordjnr:

SOLUTIONS:

The only man I feel should be put to play alongside pogba and someone else in a 3 man midfield set up is "marco veratti"...we should do whatever we can to get him next summer!

As for the wings, attack or supporting striker roles we should just break the bank and get "griezmann"....he recently ditched his agent so he would be willing to negotiate a fair deal for himself even in january!

As for central defence, smalling and blind are just not world beaters.....real may prove stubborn but we should try to get "raphael varane"...we chased him the hardest when he was leaving france but real used their normal dagbo to scatter that deal for us and now the guy na warmer! Jose has been trying for him and he is a natural no nonsense defender even though he can still improve!

My 10 bucks.........

U are very funny indeeeed!!!!
After supporting Mou & his decisions & saying UTD would come out goood this season, ur soln con dey show another season (& not this seaso) meaning that u sef no truss Mou 4 this season xcept ur listed players that UTD "may" not be sure of getting
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by weedtaker: 3:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
dis guy seff, we de for big problem, you de call youth, grin
for all de youth guys na only harrop i like de guy na baller, and he even scored the goal against villareal

(1) (2) (3) ... (3320) (3321) (3322) (3323) (3324) (3325) (3326) ... (14144) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.