Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4597) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8707660 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4594) (4595) (4596) (4597) (4598) (4599) (4600) ... (14146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 2:37pm On Oct 15, 2017
eph12:

I have never referenced SAF in any of my posts or comments. If I have it's because I have to reply to comments like this. You're creating arguments for yourself
Oga,
you're trying to be clever by half.
So who were you referring to about the "raising their performances"?
3SC?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adisaaowala: 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

Oga I'm not going to answer that question. Especially since you didn't seem to get the context of my argument about us regularly struggling against Liverpool AT ANFIELD.

If you have been paying any attention, you would know that most of us folks have resigned ourselves to the fate that we would get performances like this under Jose. I'm pretty sure you cried when we got skewered by Chelsea last season.

I repeat, we all need to move on from the Fergie era, where we mostly played swashbuckling attacking football. If you love the club, this unnecessary nit picking at performances wont be necessary, especially since we HAVENT LOST any game yet.

I made the case for Liverpool because under the circumstances, that point was a good one, regardless of the performance. And if you want. keep critiquing the performances, it won't change till he leaves.

We won vs Southampton, the players were off in the second half.
We won vs Everton, scored four despite poor play.
Jose bungled the Stoke game with his formation, hence the poor performance, but you sound like we lost all those games in question.

It seems you would rather have an expansive game and lose/draw like last season when we were copping draws all over the place.

I don't understand these fans of today. I thought the result was the most important in football.

TBH, I don't have a problem with the result (and the performance) - if na for Old Trafford we been play like that, na different issue entirely.

Trying to compare Mourihno's bus parking with Fergie's Cautious approach is what I don't like.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 2:44pm On Oct 15, 2017
adisaaowala:

TBH, I don't have a problem with the result (and the performance) - if na for Old Trafford we been play like that, na different issue entirely.

Trying to compare Mourihno's bus parking with Fergie's Cautious approach is what I don't like.

Fair enough.

My case is that Liverpool at Anfield is an extremely difficult tie. Has always been, will always be.I said that a week before that game. How we approach the game from a tactical view point is another matter entirely, because to me, at the end of the day, it's the result that matters in the end.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by funlord(m): 2:47pm On Oct 15, 2017
I really wonder what all the tears are for when the table still looks like this? A gritty away performance? From a side decimated with injuries? A side still unbeaten? A team still confident? A team that has some levels we are yet to see? Is the same team I should now use one punch drunk game at anfield to judge? Or determine how the rest of the footballing season will pan out?

Maka why?

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by PietroRico(m): 2:47pm On Oct 15, 2017
How person go use hand type say Mourinho Park bus and no get get any plan for counter attack.
How does that even make sense?
Even peak Tony pulis didn't do that.
Why bother starting any attacker then, why not just play 10 defenders and station them in the box.

Smh
Too many loose talk flying around
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 2:48pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

disingenuous at best.
Firstly, Fergie had Rio Ferdinand (2nd costliest player in England at that time) and Wayne Rooney, both around 30 million pound players each.

Secondly, making references to an era where transfer fees were still reasonable as against now is not a fair argument.
If Lukaku was available in 2007, would Fergie pay 75 million (excluding add-ons) for him?

Perspective abeg.

When I saw that comment I don't want to answer it. So that the Einsteins will not say we are defending Jose and don't want any criticizm for him, but if you want to condemn someone please be fair to him. Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Herrera, Rashford and even Matic cannot play in a team that has Rooney, Giggs, Tevez, Ronaldo, Scholes and Carrick. The market now is not same with now and there are no Arab money then. If it's now that Rooney Emerged breaking all records and went ahead to boss Euros, we would have been talking about 150million upwards, but was gotten for 27million. Sometimes some United fans sound to me like trolls wahali, no hard feelings TBH.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:49pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

That is debatable, given that it hasn't always been smooth sailing, even during the Fergie era.
It's not right to bring up price comparisons especially when the time line is as diverse as a decade ago.

It's like comparing the prices of goods in 2007 to now. You know you won't make any ground with that argument.
You mentioned Ferdinand and Rooney true but that was before the Glazers purchase of the club took it's toll, in the years (when Glazers were tight with the club's finances) where folks here were using to hammer on Fergie's tactics, we weren't free spending yet Fergie managed to keep us winning even with Oshea in midfield and Rafael and Fabio on the wings, we didn't set out to defend while totally negating the attack safe for that UCL semi final against Barcelona. I make bold to say that if SAF was still our manager now coupled with our financial muscle, we'd be approaching games against that Pool team of yesterday with a different mindset knowing we could win...

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 2:54pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

Oga,
you're trying to be clever by half.
So who were you referring to about the "raising their performances"?
3SC?

Those were someone else words not me. I only wanted to understand if our performances of recent is down to us playing some of those boogie teams from way back. Those teams that used to make us play nonsense then. You know some of us started watching ball recently and are glory hunters.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2017
adisaaowala:

But two different managers can never play the same tactics you know.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2017
eph12:

Those were someone else words not me. I only wanted to understand if our performances of recent is down to us playing some of those boogie teams from way back. Those teams that used to make us play nonsense then. You know some of us started watching ball recently and are glory hunters.
grin grin grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 3:00pm On Oct 15, 2017
Honestly I will not want to login here, the day we will lose. Walahi! It's gonna be bloody
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2017
Any comment you don't agree with here, please pass...We are all entitled to our opinions, when the team does well, we praise them, when they start serving us poor performances over a period of time irrespective of the scoreline, we reserve the right to be concerned...Being a fan doesn't mean you shouldn't be blunt, I am certain most of you were boiling whilst the match was on going but when you come here, you buckle up and try to look more of a fan than others...No be today we know una type...

4 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
“I think we defended really well today, the same as the last games, and we needed to be at that level in the defensive part.

"Romelu Lukaku had a good opportunity to score but he missed the chance. We need to keep doing well. It’s away from home at Anfield – a difficult stadium and a difficult team, so we’re happy with the point.”

- David De Gea
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:09pm On Oct 15, 2017
“It’s always hard, especially when Liverpool are at home and they know they have to win in front of these supporters. It’s hard, the motivation was at a high level for them and for us.

"We didn’t have many chances but we had two good chances that we didn’t take. But this is football and the most important thing was we didn’t lose the game.”

- Nemanja Matic
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
Koeman might be next outta the door...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
“I think yes [it is a good point] because I think, even before we come here, it’s always difficult.

"Today was a difficult game, a tough game and, in the end, a good point, I think. We defended well, maybe we can create a bit more but we take this point and we’re looking forward and thinking about the next game.”

- Matteo Darmian
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2017
“To be fair, it was a pretty even game in actual fact and not the best game in the world but it was a great defensive display from United, which says it all.

"Before the game, you can ask any United fan, we’d have been happy coming away from here with a point today before the game, without question. We have and we’ve not conceded.”

- Paddy Crerand
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2017
“When an opponent has this kind of defensive approach, you will not create 20 chances.

"We were unlucky in at least two, maybe three situations, of course [David] De Gea made the save with the biggest chance.”

- Jurgen Klopp
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:14pm On Oct 15, 2017
“We came for three points but in the second half we found it hard to do that with the dynamic of the match.

"I was waiting for Jurgen [Klopp] to change to go more attacking but he kept the three strong midfield players all the time and he had control.

"The second half was like a game of chess but my opponent didn’t open the door for me to win the game.”

- Jose Mourinho
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:18pm On Oct 15, 2017
patrickmuf:
Koeman might be next outta the door...

Koeman is a big Disappointment this Season so far. He had the Money, but he spent it on average Players.

The Idiot signed more than 5 Players, yet he's battling with Crystal Palace and Co for the Bottom 3 of the Table.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 3:25pm On Oct 15, 2017
Oasis007:

Koeman is a big Disappointment this Season so far. He had the Money, but he spent it on average Players.

The Idiot signed more than 5 Players, yet he's battling with Crystal Palace and Co for the Bottom 3 of the Table.
It's better to spend 150m on 4 good players than buy more than 10 for same amount...Koeman messed up.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Oasis007(m): 3:31pm On Oct 15, 2017
patrickmuf:
It's better to spend 150m on 4 good players than buy more than 10 for same amount...Koeman messed up.

I dey tell you! They are really unable to replace Lukaku in the Team.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 3:58pm On Oct 15, 2017
eph12:

choose how you want to define yourself.
Don't apply it to me.
I didn't label you as a glory hunter. I only inferred that we need to realize it's Jose time and we should expect performances like that from time to time.

You quoted me with reference to my comments on our performances vs Liverpool. That's all I know. So I responded to you indefence of what I already wrote.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Lana1(m): 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2017
PietroRico:
How person go use hand type say Mourinho Park bus and no get get any plan for counter attack.
How does that even make sense?
Even peak Tony pulis didn't do that.
Why bother starting any attacker then, why not just play 10 defenders and station them in the box.

Smh
Too many loose talk flying around
And whenever we had the ball, what did we do with it?? 1 shot on target the entire game. None in the 2nd half.(pic)

Maybe u should rewind to the same fixture last season when we had 9 blue shirts on the edge of our box. 9.(2nd pic)

Against Southampton, we only had 2 chances in the 2nd half from Lukaku and Herrera. None were on target.(3rd pic).

This shows how rarely we are able to break out from defence and counter when we re sitting deep. So yes, Mourinho has no plan B once he deploys his bus in front of goal except to bring on more defenders.

Smh for urself!

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2017
patrickmuf:
You mentioned Ferdinand and Rooney true but that was before the Glazers purchase of the club took it's toll, in the years (when Glazers were tight with the club's finances) where folks here were using to hammer on Fergie's tactics, we weren't free spending yet Fergie managed to keep us winning even with Oshea in midfield and Rafael and Fabio on the wings, we didn't set out to defend while totally negating the attack safe for that UCL semi final against Barcelona. I make bold to say that if SAF was still our manager now coupled with our financial muscle, we'd be approaching games against that Pool team of yesterday with a different mindset knowing we could win...

So in 26 years + of Fergie time at Old Trafford, you are saying that he was only able to play defensive just ONCE, against Barcelona in 2008?
and the two times he subsequently faced the same Barca and went gung-ho against them, what was the result?

Oga, you're entitled to your opinion.

Go and check your history books and see how many times Fergie dominated Liverpool at Anfield, even in their sh1ttiest periods and come back and tell us.

All I'm saying is that bringing the cost of players now vs. 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, is not a fair argument to make. Glazers or not.

You know that the transfer market is way over-inflated theses days, and as such expecting to get a decent player in the realm of those days prices is unrealistic.
Plus your assertion isn't totally true.
Fergie trusted the likes of O' Shea, but it didn't stop him from buying Jones (another multi-faceted player) when he saw the need. So it's not like Fergie couldn't spend if he wanted to.

you can make your argument against parking the bus, but please don't compare prices then and now and use as appoint to argue with. that's all I'm saying.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 4:16pm On Oct 15, 2017
funlord:

I really wonder what all the tears are for when the table still looks like this? A gritty away performance? From a side decimated with injuries? A side still unbeaten? A team still confident? A team that has some levels we are yet to see? Is the same team I should now use one punch drunk game at anfield to judge? Or determine how the rest of the footballing season will pan out?

Maka why?

It's not hard to see that some folks are just typing for the sake of it.
They now even lump it together with games we won.
Even when we put 4 goals past opposition while not playing well.

I thought the result is what mattered the most.
apparently, sexy football is also needed.
If that's the case then they should not hold their breath, because Jose will go to anti-football tactics to win if need be.

Nostradamuses here have seen the downfall of the side.
No one is talking of the fact that we've only conceded two goals all season long in the league.
All is just wailing galore.
No improvement anywhere.

I just tire.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by patrickmuf(m): 4:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

So in 26 years + of Fergie time at Old Trafford, you are saying that he was only able to play defensive just ONCE, against Barcelona in 2008?
and the two times he subsequently faced the same Barca and went gung-ho against them, what was the result?

Oga, you're entitled to your opinion.

Go and check your history books and see how many times Fergie dominated Liverpool at Anfield, even in their sh1ttiest periods and come back and tell us.

All I'm saying is that bringing the cost of players now vs. 10 years ago, even 5 years ago, is not a fair argument to make. Glazers or not.

You know that the transfer market is way over-inflated theses days, and as such expecting to get a decent player in the realm of those days prices is unrealistic.
Plus your assertion isn't totally true.
Fergie trusted the likes of O' Shea, but it didn't stop him from buying Jones (another multi-faceted player) when he saw the need. So it's not like Fergie couldn't spend if he wanted to.

you can make your argument against parking the bus, but please don't compare prices then and now and use as appoint to argue with. that's all I'm saying.
No qualms bro
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by funlord(m): 4:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

If that's the case then they should not hold their breath, because Jose will go to anti-football tactics to win if need be.

No one is talking of the fact that we've only conceded two goals all season long in the league.
No improvement anywhere.

I just tire.

Abeg leave some of these reggae singers! So that match is now how we are going to play till 2018? Do they think man city or barca won't also have games like that away from home or even at home? Even those who have won things for united while playing (not chatting) have called it a solid point gained! Park away jose till next weekend when we shall be requiring cruise control once more!

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 4:29pm On Oct 15, 2017
funlord:

Abeg leave some of these reggae singers! So that match is now how we are going to play till 2018? Do they think man city or barca won't also have games like that away from home or even at home? Even those who have won things for united while playing (not chatting) have called it a solid point gained! Park away jose till next weekend when we shall be requiring cruise control once more!

Unfortunately perspective is very near yet so far.
One bad performance rubbishes every good one done.
More so in a tie that even at the peak of our powers, we never had it easy.

When we were blasting away sides people thought it would last forever. And when we have a bad game and win, it' is still not enough for some.

I personally hate Mourinho's guts, but to deny that he gets the job done is being disingenuous. His resume speaks for itself.
The earlier we realize that we are in the Jose era, the better for us all. Shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 4:29pm On Oct 15, 2017
patrickmuf:
No qualms bro
ain't mad at you bro.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CapitalCee(m): 4:31pm On Oct 15, 2017
hoopLA:

No improvement anywhere.

I just tire.

People here are not even talking about how Jones put up a very masterful performance yesterday, all they bang on about, is the overused " Park the Bus" crap. Forgetting that only Man City have outscored us this season. The Tottenham and Liverpool people are jumping upandan about how entertaining they are, How many goals have they? Some will prefer and entertaining draw to a park the bus win Sha.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by hoopLA: 4:37pm On Oct 15, 2017
CapitalCee:

People here are not even talking about how Jones put up a very masterful performance yesterday, all they bang on about, is the overused " Park the Bus" crap. Forgetting that only Man City have outscored us this season. The Tottenham and Liverpool people are jumping upandan about how entertaining they are, How many goals have they? Some will prefer and entertaining draw to a park the bus win Sha.

for me, it's not the issue of bus parking.

It's more of this obvious need to complain when there is a hint of a bad display, even when we win. That is the part I still don't understand.

The team has made its best start in years to a Premier League season, but all we get is complaints.

Defensively we are more sound and appear more sure footed than last season. Yet no one sees tthis as any sign of progress.

We are second on the log. City will encounter periods when things will go wrong for them. Hopefully we will be able to capitalize.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (4594) (4595) (4596) (4597) (4598) (4599) (4600) ... (14146) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.