Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,162 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe (15733 Views)

A Housemaster Injures SS3 Student In Ogun State(graphic Photos) / Principal Impregnates SS3 Student, Rushes Her For Wedding - Universal Reporters / Started ICAN In SS3, Bags First-Class At 20 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by deols(f): 11:13am On Feb 16, 2012
I remember what we used to say in secondary school. there were teachers  we wouldnt greet when we see in the future and some we would hit with our cars if they ever walked by. It is very bad what many teachers do. They take discipline to extreme levels.

The education ministry  need  to scrap beating in schools ASAP.

The boy and his father went overboard though. This case should be taken t court where damages can be claimed by the teacher.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 16, 2012
Shameful smfh
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 11:16am On Feb 16, 2012
wellmax:

Education in Nigeria is at its low ebb. I had τ̅☺ stop marking WAEC papers because of the disappointing performance of the students. I tell you no zone is spared, except for a few private schools. Many of them have answers written on the board for them during examination Äπϑ yet end up writing rubbish. SMH

spot on! the private schools are even worse! however, their strong point and which i cherish so much is the fact that many of their students can at least express themselves fluently. apart from that, they know next to nothing in their academics. I have a cousin who finished from a top private school. he was so lucky his dad could afford it ! he finished with 6 distinctions from sciences but would struggle with so much sweat to give you the chemical formula of table salt or even water. when i asked him how the hell he passed WAEC with 6 distinctions, he told me bluntly, that answers to the questions were boldly written on the chalk boards for them. C-R-A-Z-Y!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked i said in sheer disappointment.

Education in Nigeria is just a write-off! finito!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by eghost247(m): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2012
[size=15pt]Show of Shame why an SS3 Student cant speak good English is beyond me[/size]
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by onyxo76(m): 11:26am On Feb 16, 2012
i thought i usually over react to poor students' performances. but i think am justified, a 20yr old still in ss3 when guys in bowen of his age will have started nysc.its such a shame, i see a lot of undergraduates where i work wasting their lives on facebook, and bb messaging. i ve seen students walking in a dark bush path pinging and falling into a gutter!
Gone are the days when we craved for pacesseter novels and hardly chase, i wonder if students of nowadays read any other materials other than complete sports etc. at interviews i have had cause to almost weep when i hear the quality of spoken english by these brats!!
God help us!!!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by lovejo(m): 11:30am On Feb 16, 2012
Some igbo guys are defending the boy now, and if i say something they will say we are tribalistic, they are both trying to portray the teacher as bad with their argument which can not be substantiated .

gaddafe:

Why should a teacher beat up a student in the first place. What right is he(the teacher) given in the constitution of Nigeria to humiliate a student up till the extent of degrading him as to strip of in public. A 20 years old student for that matter.
I actually think the teacher got what he deserved,only that the father misused the power vested on him by the authority.
pato405:

the teacher should consider himself lucky he left with just beating. i'm NOT really sure he was beaten the way he deserves. being alive to tell the story should be his 'miracle of the year' hence, i'll advice him to give a testimony to the fact that he's alive to tell the story when next he's in church.

there's no justification to punish a child in that manner. public school teachers are just a bunch of nuisance. i attended one and I MEAN what i'm saying here. in the first place if they are competent, a supposedly ss3 student who cant fluently in plane and simple english articulate himself is enough evidence of their sheer ineptitude. what do you expect from a failed system without a proper structure to assess students. how the hell did such a student make it from jss1 to ss3? is he a magician?

like i stated earlier, i attended a public school (finished 1996) and i must confess that although i'm doing great today [by my personal assessments of academic prowess vis-a-vis being a medical practitioner and an academic researcher at the moment grin grin grin grin grin] my GREATEST regret in life today is attending a public primary and secondary school. our teachers taught us in vernacular always and were always busy gossiping in their miserable offices. we lacked basic amenities any one would ideally expect a secondary school to have. I could count the number of times teachers delivered lectures on the fingers of one hand. as if that is not enough, students were flogged much more than cows from Sokoto to Lagos  angry angry angry angry.

I wish I had parents who could fight for me like this students up here, i swear, i'll be the one to first snatch my fathers riffle from him and practically blow the miserable teacher''s coagulated brains out of his thick skull and damn the consequences. inspite of leaving school over 16 years ago, each time I reflect and remember how we were assaulted with canes [sometimes doubled like this case] it sends shivers of 'terror'down my spine. it's  a traumatic experience and it's more or less have left a sort of psychological scar  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided. I remember a guy who was asked to lie postrate on his long desk, he was flogged like a criminal until he fell from the desk and broke his arm. another one was flogged till we saw all the layers of his his endodermis {inner skin layers looking white], if not for privacy reasons and the fact that i have decided to let go  grin grin grin grin grin grin, i'll post the name of this hopeless school i attended and name the teachers in question bacause i have refused to forget their names. i still watch out for the day i'll stumble into any of them. i will surely harass them i swear!!

our teachers were very lazy retards and only heavens know how they were recruited. 300 students sat for WAEC and only 9 of us passed english. please dont ask me my grade because i managed to eascape , hehehhehehe, we were 80 in science class but you wont believe it -- just 2, passed physics- our saving grace, we both formed a formidable private reading group. statistics for the other subjects were equally miserable if not worse! yet, the dimwitted moro0ns who call themselves teachers summon the balls to flog a child.

i dont intend sending a child to public school ooooo, but if any cretin or slo[i]w[/i]poke dare touch my child, i swear, his ordeal in my hands will make headlines in all Nigerian newspapers, because i'm really feeling vindictive o!!!!!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by IYANGBALI: 11:39am On Feb 16, 2012
gaddafe:

Why should a teacher beat up a student in the first place. What right is he(the teacher) given in the constitution of Nigeria to humiliate a student up till the extent of degrading him as to strip of in public. A 20 years old student for that matter.
I actually think the teacher got what he deserved,only that the father misused the power vested on him by the authority.
is that all you have to say and is that the issue being treated here?Spare the rod and spoil the child hisses and walks away
lovejo:

Some igbo guys are defending the boy now, and if i say something they will say we are tribalistic, they are both trying to portray the teacher as bad with their argument which can not be substantiated .

the thing tire me o
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by stagger: 11:41am On Feb 16, 2012
The boy's English speaks volumes of the kind of upbringing he has had and how serious he has been in school.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by agabaI23(m): 11:53am On Feb 16, 2012
lovejo:

I am not demonizing the teacher because I am Igbo, the child's action is not even to be applauded but then not everyone has the ability endure pain without reacting.
Stop trying to drag tribalism into this. I will do the same if the student was Yoruba or Hausa. Wickedness has no tribe.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by ikechiozo: 11:54am On Feb 16, 2012
lovejo:

Another yoruba lunatic wants to drag us into tribal row,  weere
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

To all of you supporting the teacher, why did the teacher do the following;

- Ask the boy to strip in front of the whole school!? What was this supposed to achieve?! Was that in a bid to mentally destroy the boy?! Where in the teachers handbook did it give power to teachers to strip a student Unclad in the middle of school?!

- Why did the teacher flog the child till the point that he broke his skin and caused the boy an injjury?! If that teacher were abroad, he would be looking at jail time.

- Why did the teacher have to double the cane?! Was one cane not enough discipline for the young boy?!

- By what punishment scale did the teacher determine his choice of discipline?!

Before you condenm the boy and his father, remember as well that you may have been that child or he may have been your son. I know two cases of kids that got blinded by their teachers in the middle of flogging them, and one of the girls sef was not guilty of anything. Nigerians raise children like animals, and when they start acting like what you've raised them to be, you all start shouting. Flogging should anly be used as a capital punishment in all public schools. the board of Education needs to publish a punishment scale and distribute to teachers and students alike. I remember a teacher that flogged us for failing a test. LIKE SERIOUSLY!!  angry If we failed a test, shouldnt the teacher be the one to be flogged as that would ordinarily mean he failed to pass his message across to the students.

The boys father did what I would have done, you flog my child like an animal, I will treat you like an animal and withdraw my kid from that school.  angry

Given the circumstances which have now come to light, I certainly would have intervened as this father did, although without bringing the good office of my employers into disrepute.
It is now clear this teacher set out to humiliate an over-aged student in a most disapproving manner.
The intent was undoubtedly to inflict as much pain as possible, as opposed to rehabilitating errant behaviour.

But Ebuka himself came to the rescue as he claimed he was 18 years even though investigation by the state Ministry of Education revealed that he was over 20 years
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by ceejayluv(m): 12:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
lovejo:

i don't blame you anyway. You are a product of our failed system as well.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Sweetlemon(f): 12:03pm On Feb 16, 2012
Some teachers can be very ruthless sha. They behave like they are on some kind of revenge mission.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by lovejo(m): 12:05pm On Feb 16, 2012
ikechiozo:

Let me tell you, i grew up in those environment and I can tell you clearly this is not the first time, if i include this I will count three cases to those I'm familiar with, and all this acts has be done by igbo to be sincere and this is the first time it is getting into the news, is he the only one that was punished, i'm aware there might be cultural different from eastern school and western school, this issue would have been resolve by reporting the teacher to higher authority  and i know the teacher can be re-orientated how to treat student.

Ikechiozo, i guess you are part of those igbo that wake their father with leg on the floor in the morning.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 12:11pm On Feb 16, 2012
IYA NGBALI:

is that all you have to say and is that the issue being treated here?Spare the rod and spoil the child hisses and walks awaythe thing tire me o

Arrant nonsense.
Why not go the whole hog and advise the teacher to chop off a limb if it offends,

In Matthew 5:29-30, Christ states, “And if your right eye offend you, pluck it out, and cast it from you: for it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be cast into hell. And if your right hand offend you, cut it off, and cast it from you: for it is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your whole body should be cast into hell.”

How has flogging students almost to the point of death (in schools) helped to limit the pervasiveness of criminality in our society?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by ambyzown(m): 12:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
pato405:

the teacher should consider himself lucky he left with just beating. i'm NOT really sure he was beaten the way he deserves. being alive to tell the story should be his 'miracle of the year' hence, i'll advice him to give a testimony to the fact that he's alive to tell the story when next he's in church.

there's no justification to punish a child in that manner. public school teachers are just a bunch of nuisance. i attended one and I MEAN what i'm saying here. in the first place if they are competent, a supposedly ss3 student who cant fluently in plane and simple english articulate himself is enough evidence of their sheer ineptitude. what do you expect from a failed system without a proper structure to assess students. how the hell did such a student make it from jss1 to ss3? is he a magician?

like i stated earlier, i attended a public school (finished 1996) and i must confess that although i'm doing great today [by my personal assessments of academic prowess vis-a-vis being a medical practitioner and an academic researcher at the moment grin grin grin grin grin]

God save our health and medical system if this is the quality of medical practitioners we have.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Rastamann: 12:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
I can also understand why Ibrahim Bolomope took it personal. He was a former teacher, NUT and NLC president of Oyo state.

Was the boy the only one punished? He went to call the father because he was a custom officer. What about those with no father or whose fathers are artisans? Inasmuch as I dislike the use of corporal punishment in schools, we should not support such acts of indiscipline exhibited by the boy and his custom officer father.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Rastamann: 12:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
in my opinion, the teacher deserved every bit of the beating by that student.
There are ways to punish children without being brutal.Did you hear the boy? The teacher doubled the cane! He beat him till he fell down? is he an animal? What happened to clearing grass or sweeping the entire school yard, or detention for a couple of hours?
i accept his father went overboard.
Teachers do not have a right to beat up anyone like that!

will you becos you have a headache cut off your head?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Samystyler: 12:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
onyxo76:

i thought i usually over react to poor students' performances. but i think am justified, a 20yr old still in ss3 when guys in bowen of his age will have started nysc.its such a shame, i see a lot of undergraduates where i work wasting their lives on facebook, and bb messaging. i ve seen students walking in a dark bush path pinging and falling into a gutter!
Gone are the days when we craved for pacesseter novels and hardly chase, i wonder if students of nowadays read any other materials other than complete sports etc. at interviews i have had cause to almost weep when i hear the quality of spoken english by these brats!!
God help us!!!

by all standard and measures, mr onyxo76 u are a blatant F.OOL, so an individual who cannot speak a foreign language(english) is now a brat rit?  guy u most be smoking gum!!! is it a must u speak english? russia, china,korea,iran japan, India etc dont speak english officially and thats the sole reason they have what is called INDIGENOUS TECHNOLOGY!!  guy pls change the spelling of ur pacesetters(idiot my yansh, mr engilishi)
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 12:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
ceejayluv:

i don't blame you anyway. You are a product of our failed system as well.

GBAM! on spot! he's another imbecilic cretin.

eGuerrilla:

Given the circumstances which have now come to light, I certainly would have intervened as this father did, although without bringing the good office of my employers into disrepute.
It is now clear this teacher set out to humiliate an over-aged student in a most disapproving manner.
The intent was undoubtedly to inflict as much pain as possible, as opposed to rehabilitating errant behaviour.

what makes you feel his colleagues at the customs intentionally went to the school to assault the teacher. they must have seen the extent of the teachers folly and probably decided to go hear him out. apparently,  it's possible they got there and the teacher sounded rude or unrepentant, tempers flared without caution, courtesy was hurled to the gutters and what else do you expect - tit-for-tat of course. why don't you see it in that light?

for those biased and irrational tribal bigots who are beginning to bring in ethnic sentiments into this issue, you all sure need to see a shrink. must you see every issue through your jaundiced tribal lenses? youruba this, igbo that, bla bla bla, you need pshychiatric evaluation o!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by stildude(m): 12:24pm On Feb 16, 2012
Yes, I agree with those that have seen through the veil of tribalism in this issue. However, it was definitely started by the Oyo house of assembly in the first place. A house of yorubas sitting on a yoruba vs ibo matter. what will you expect. They were all quick to paint the ss3 boy bad. Even the miserable report is not balanced. One of the house members who tried to see things from a different angle was shouted down by his colleagues. I wonder if any of those members would have reacted differently had it been their child that was the one humilliated like that. Now NBA Oyo wants to fight the fight on behalf of the teacher. No one is condenming the  babaric act of the teacher. His action (if you could call it punishment at all) was tribally motivated. he has been beating other boys before the igbo boy's turn, but when he saw the igbo boy, he had to double the cane to increase the boy's pain. Even when the boy fell to the ground, would he leave him alone, no, he had to flog him so hard till his skin broke and would only be satisfied until he saw the teenager's blood.

Howbeit, the Father of the boy went a bit far with the shooting stuff.

For those feigning surprise at an ss3 student not speaking the queen's kind of english, be real. it didn't start today, in my time, girls spoke better english than most of the kids from boys school. But surprisingly, when it came to inter school english competition, boys almost always won. There was this girl in my street that used to intimidate us with english, but when WAEC results were out, I flogged her so badly. You must understand that there is practical physics and biology, but no practical english in school. Only theories and filling the blank. It gets worse if you communicate at home or 'area'  in your native tongue.  You would be surprised that the boy in question would pass english very well in his exams. moreso, he may have been intimidated by the audience. So many adults will freeze and loose their communication ability when it comes to public speaking, howmuch more a boy. I also didn't like how one of the respondents in the report said govt should do better things with its money. I would like to know the english or other subjects status of her children first. wayo woman!. All they want to achieve is to embarass the boy and his father mostly because he is a non yoruba.

I served and taught in Oyo, tewure to be precise, all the students in the ss3 class could not comprehend simple expressions in english apart from one kid that usally come in from ogbomoso. Not even the teachers or some of the LAUTECH students I came across. You don't speak yoruba nothing for  you with lauthech girls. As if beating  a teacher is new in Oyo, back then in 2000/2001, students from one secondary school close to the Lautech used to beat up their teachers, they even used voodoo to brutalize teahers there. They were very feared even by the Lautech students.

Now this is one of the stories I see in American movies or read about where whites and blacks storm the court house with signs defending their interests. in this case. the yorubas are whites, and the ibos are black. let's see which side public sentiment will sway, unfortunately for the ibos, like the blacks, they are at a disadvantage here. The whites (yorubas) own the judges, the assembly, the NBA and the social media like Nairaland, and they are playing at home. Will there be an offset?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 16, 2012
ikechiozo:

And how is your comment any better ?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
Rastamann:

Was the boy the only one punished? [/b]He went to call the father because he was a custom officer. [b]What about those with no father or whose fathers are artisans? Inasmuch as I dislike the use of corporal punishment in schools, we should not support such acts of indiscipline exhibited by the boy and his custom officer father.

The man dies in he who keeps silent in the face of tyranny! Simple!

Look at this way, the emboldened portion of your post are questions that need to be directed at everyone who rejects misery and suffering?
Why couldn't Fela keep his trap shut? Why wasn't he content with singing love songs like so many of his contemporaries?
Was Gani Fawehinmi the only lawyer who made it to the bar? Why could he not simply toe the same line many of colleagues did, by keeping his nose in check, rather than antagonising successive governments?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 12:27pm On Feb 16, 2012
ambyzown:

God save our health and medical system if this is the quality of medical practitioners we have.

@Ambyzown:

you know nothing about principles of practice of the profession so keep quiet. don't be a judge of the profession, learn to see things through other peoples lenses and put yourself in their shoes. it's usually better to be empathetic than being sentimental or sympathetic. why brutalise a student? if we criticise  military officials for such assaults, i think a teacher should be criticised even more. i wondeer the joy people feel when they inflict coporal pains on others and it beats me they get support from people like you.

anyway, save your prayers for the structure of your health care system because it surely needs prayers!
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 12:33pm On Feb 16, 2012
stildude:

Yes, I agree with those that have seen through the veil of tribalism in this issue. However, it was definitely started by the Oyo house of assembly in the first place. A house of yorubas sitting on a yoruba vs ibo matter. what will you expect. They were all quick to paint the ss3 boy bad. Even the miserable report is not balanced. One of the house members who tried to see things from a different angle was shouted down by his colleagues. I wonder if any of those members would have reacted differently had it been their child that was the one humilliated like that. Now NBA Oyo wants to fight the fight on behalf of the teacher. No one is condenming the  babaric act of the teacher. His action (if you could call it punishment at all) was tribally motivated. he has been beating other boys before the igbo boy's turn, but when he saw the igbo boy, he had to double the cane to increase the boy's pain. Even when the boy fell to the ground, would he leave him alone, no, he had to flog him so hard till his skin broke and would only be satisfied until he saw the teenager's blood.

Howbeit, the Father of the boy went a bit far with the shooting stuff.

For those feigning surprise at an ss3 student not speaking the queen's kind of english, be real. it didn't start today, in my time, girls spoke better english than most of the kids from boys school. But surprisingly, when it came to inter school english competition, boys almost always won. There was this girl in my street that used to intimidate us with english, but when WAEC results were out, I flogged her so badly. You must understand that there is practical physics and biology, but no practical english in school. Only theories and filling the blank. It gets worse if you communicate at home or 'area'  in your native tongue.  You would be surprised that the boy in question would pass english very well in his exams. moreso, he may have been intimidated by the audience. So many adults will freeze and loose their communication ability when it comes to public speaking, howmuch more a boy. I also didn't like how one of the respondents in the report said govt should do better things with its money. I would like to know the english or other subjects status of her children first. wayo woman!. All they want to achieve is to embarass the boy and his father mostly because he is a non yoruba.

I served and taught in Oyo, tewure to be precise, all the students in the ss3 class could not comprehend simple expressions in english apart from one kid that usally come in from ogbomoso. Not even the teachers or some of the LAUTECH students I came across. You don't speak yoruba nothing for  you with lauthech girls. As if beating  a teacher is new in Oyo, back then in 2000/2001, students from one secondary school close to the Lautech used to beat up their teachers, they even used voodoo to brutalize teahers there. They were very feared even by the Lautech students.

Now this is one of the stories I see in American movies or read about where whites and blacks storm the court house with signs defending their interests. in this case. the yorubas are whites, and the ibos are black. let's see which side public sentiment will sway, unfortunately for the ibos, like the blacks, they are at a disadvantage here. The whites (yorubas) own the judges, the assembly, the NBA and the social media like Nairaland, and they are playing at home. Will there be an offset?

"@the bold words in red

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

hahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ROTFLMAO

If you be lawyer, you go badt gaaan!

havent laughed this hard in a long while
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 16, 2012
pato405:

GBAM! on spot! he's another imbecilic cretin.

what makes you feel his colleagues at the customs intentionally went to the school to assault the teacher. they must have seen the extent of the teachers folly and probably decided to go hear him out. apparently,  it's possible they got there and the teacher sounded rude or unrepentant, tempers flared without caution, courtesy was hurled to the gutters and what else do you expect - Bosom-for-tat of course. why don't you see it in that light?

The emboldened portion of your post is conjecture at best.
As an aggrieved parent, rolling with a team several man deep only portends one likely outcome.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by HyeBits: 12:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Samystyler, you must be a celebrated FOOL indeed. English language remains an elitist language in our society today, believe it or go in contrary. What can he do with his already disarrayed education if he can't speak and write the language in discurse? The boy will write his final examinations in his mother tongue I guess. For your information, all those countries listed in your write-up learn English language as it remains a fillip in today's knowledge economy-21st century global economy.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 16, 2012
@okija_juju
I'm surprised at your response , so you will take gun trotting men to a secondary school because your son was flogged by a teacher ? We don't have to wonder how and what you will do in a position of power.

@topic
If the boy were flogged to the point of death I doubt he will be there to give his own side of the story ( pesin wey motor jam no fit wait take the nunber ). Let's call a spade a spade , the boy could have been severely flogged but it is no reason to come shooting in a school. I'm not excusing the teacher's conduct ( infact they should look into his conduct as well ) but the father was way overboard.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by pato405(m): 12:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
eGuerrilla:

ëGuerilla:

a conjecture which could could likely be the case. a soft answer they say ----- ''turns away wrath''
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Shinor(m): 12:48pm On Feb 16, 2012
@onyxo76. Jah Bless you.

Now back to the matter at hand. What do we do with SS3 students who can't express themselves in simple English. The rate at which people abbreviate words in Nigeria is sad and they carry that into the exam hall. If this is unchecked, Nigerian companies will be hiring graduates from Kenya to come and work here. There is an urgent need to address the failings in the educational sector.
WAEC and other public exams are conducted in English language. If a student cannot read and understand the instructions and the questions, that student has automatically failed.  Yet we have schools all over Nigeria where teaching is done in the native tongue and yet we are surprised at the WAEC / NECO failure rates.
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by gaddafe(m): 12:52pm On Feb 16, 2012
IYA NGBALI:

is that all you have to say and is that the issue being treated here?Spare the rod and spoil the child hisses and walks awaythe thing tire me o
That is your traditional belief. According to the law of the land the teacher is wrong.
lovejo:

God forbid, i'm not Igbo and what has tribe got to do with this issue?
Re: Ss3 Student Opts For Pidgin At Oyo Assembly Probe by Shinor(m): 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
@Samstyler. You are the biggest fool of the Millenium.
Just one example. China has the largest number of English as a Second Language ESL teachers working there because they have found out that English is the world's accepted medium of communication. Infact once you qualify as an ESOL teacher, you look to the far east for a job. Be quoting baseless shit there.
So the boy will write WAEC in Igbo? Ok now go on, mumu like you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Check NECO 2019 June/july Result With Your Mobile Phone / Host Of Abia Children's Quiz Competition, Queen Irene Onwuka Speaks On Impact / 7 Documents To Have Before Applying For Undergraduate Scholarships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.