Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,438 members, 7,812,306 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

3 Efcc Staff Detained For Corruption, Says Lamorde - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Efcc Staff Detained For Corruption, Says Lamorde (777 Views)

EFCC Chairman Ibrahim Lamorde Removed / Improved Technology Is The Best Way To Fight Corruption, Says Jonathan / ‘Lai Mohammed Detained For Abusing Jonathan’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

3 Efcc Staff Detained For Corruption, Says Lamorde by victorazy(m): 1:15am On Feb 16, 2012
In a rare show of candour, Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Lamorode, admitted to the Senate that there is corruption among officials of the commission.
Lamorde said this when he appeared for his confirmatory screening on Wednesday. He, however, made a case for the establishment of special courts to deal with corrupt cases, adding that the plea bargain granted to former Edo State Governor was regrettable.

In a question and answer session, which held in the Committee of the Whole yesterday, Lamorde said steps had been taken to address the matter. “To some extent that (corruption in EFCC) is correct but since I assumed office as acting chairman; I have taken steps to address that issue. I have about three members of staff in detention on corruption cases.
“We have also initiated prosecution on two officers whose cases are in court. To further address the issue, I have decided to introduce polygraph tests (which) officers, including myself, should be made to take at six months interval to address that problem.”

In addition, Lamorde disclosed that the lifestyle of every EFCC staff “will be under scrutiny to ensure that it is in consonance with the office standards.”
On plea-bargaining, he said: “It is something that everybody that is involved has regretted. Awarding of punishment is the discretion of the judge. The judge can make a pronouncement that is contrary to your expectation.
“But whether I believe in the principle of plea bargaining or not, that depends on how it is carried out. It is really something that may be, people should have to sit down to discuss ways and manner it should be done but I don’t think we should jettison the idea of plea bargaining.

“The only thing is that if you are going on plea bargaining, there should be true declaration of assets and assets that is traced to the person should be seized. We have been able to achieve a lot through plea bargaining.”
In his response to questions that EFCC was used as a hounding dog in victimising politicians from contesting election, Lamorde noted that the intention was not for witch-hunt but to show political parties the quality of candidates they wanted to field. “It was an advice to political parties to look at candidates who wanted to contest. Perhaps they have some issues but it was perceived to have come from the past president to go after his enemies.”
Speaking after his confirmation, Senate President David Mark said the National Assembly would give Lamorde the benefit of the doubt on his proposed performance at the EFCC.
Re: 3 Efcc Staff Detained For Corruption, Says Lamorde by jamace(m): 7:29am On Feb 16, 2012
A step in the right direction. cool
Re: 3 Efcc Staff Detained For Corruption, Says Lamorde by executinal(m): 2:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
Nice one, charity begings at home

(1) (Reply)

Traffic Gridlock In Lagos Caused By Ojukwu’s Lying-in-state! / Sanusi, Ibb, National Unity And Boko Haram Apologist / Who Is Your Most Respected Politician In Nigeria Since 1999?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.