Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,598 members, 7,955,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:25 PM

The Trinity - A Simple Test - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Trinity - A Simple Test (5626 Views)

Poll: Which of the four things in the opening post do you believe?

I agree with only number 1: 18% (2 votes)
I agree with only numbers 1 & 2: 0% (0 votes)
I agree with only numbers 1 & 3: 0% (0 votes)
I agree with only numbers 1 & 4: 0% (0 votes)
I agree with a different combination: 18% (2 votes)
I agree with ALL: 63% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Anony & Deep Sight: Verse By Verse Academy On The Trinity & The Deity Of Christ / About The Trinity / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 8:31am On Feb 16, 2012
Many people say they do not believe in the idea of God as "Trinity". However, quite often when some of them make a few posts it seems that they are supporting that which they deny. I suggest that (leaving aside the "intellectual shenanigans" at Nicea) there is really a simple test for a person to know and or determine whether or not s/he believes that God is "Trinity".   smiley

It consists in the answers that one honestly gives to just FOUR questions.

1. Do you believe that God is ONE?

2. Do you believe that The Father is God?

3. Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God?

4. Do you believe that the Holy Spirit is God?

If one's answer to any of the above is NO ---- then one does not believe in God as Trinity.

On the other hand if one's answer to each of the four questions is YES, then one is indeed a believer in God as Trinity.   smiley

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 8:56am On Feb 16, 2012
For the fun of it, I have now added a poll. smiley

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by PastorKun(m): 9:57am On Feb 16, 2012
Maybe you should define what you term as 'God' to help clarify issues.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 16, 2012
This Trinity thing is a man made explanation and may not have any spiritual basis

The eternal question is whether Jesus is the son of God. my belief is "Yes". However not in the same way that Femi Kuti is the son of Fela Kuti (just used that example, could apply to you or your father)

I believe Jesus is the son of God, just like you and I are "children" of God. With a cavaet that Jesus had a "special" ordained mission on earth which sets him apart from from us mere mortal children

As per the holy spirit, this is just the signs and wonders of God and is more atuned with spiritual rather than the temporal.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 16, 2012
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 1:13pm On Feb 16, 2012
You are posting this video all over the place when you shied away from answering a rather simple question. OK I repeat it now and I would offer you a deal: if you give a reasoned answer to the question, I will watch your video and address any serious issue/s that it raises.

How can Jesus be "God" and The Father also be "God" ----- at the same time?

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Sweetnecta: 1:35pm On Feb 16, 2012
^And you have not touched on the God the Holy Ghost.
@Frosbel; You see Yanga? Yanga no get weight at all. Not only Muslims, but others including Christians have problems with your 3 Gods. Think mehn.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 16, 2012
Sweetnecta:

^And you have not touched on the God the Holy Ghost.
@Frosbel; You see Yanga? Yanga no get weight at all. Not only Muslims, but others including Christians have problems with your 3 Gods. Think mehn.

You still have not explained Al-'Uzza, al-Lat and Manah, the three daughters of Allah ?

Should I open a new post to discuss this ?

grin
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Sweetnecta: 2:51pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^^^^^Muhammad [as] destroyed them all. Thats bold. Thats a Lion among lions.
Muhammad [as] is the one who let me know that ghost is no God.
son is no God.
father is no God.

God is One. I accept that and I am better for it.
Since God is Master; One God is 1 Master. Thats so comforting to the heart.

In your case, father is Master [the first master]
And if son is Master [then this is your second master. Its no One God anymore regardless of how you spin it]
also if ghost is Master [then this is your third master. Three is a crowd even among mankind. You are not even 2 Gods, but 3 Gods by this].

@Frosbel; Read the above, mehn.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Ptolomeus(m): 3:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
Unable to answer "no" to everything.
I believe in a god, but do not think it so elaborate that god who created the Catholic Church, a god called in the Old Testament animal sacrifices and tithes, then rejects them, and finally becomes a trilogy.
The trilogy was invented by Constantino in 325.
It would be nice to read about it to end this issue.
Not a cuesstión of opinion, but documentation.
My greetings to all
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by numo86(m): 4:25pm On Feb 16, 2012
@poster, satan is God too, so how do we handle d situation??
When u use the term or title GOD it just doesnt click, because anythin or anybody could be GOD,
Mayb i culd help u re-write ur question well

**Is Jesus YAHWEH,
jUST go straight to d point & lets know what to do, :-)
As for d holy spirit i dont know how it became God, i tink i might need to see scriptures where persons even did obeiscance to d holy spirit,
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
Enigma:

You are posting this video all over the place when you shied away from answering a rather simple question. OK I repeat it now and I would offer you a deal: if you give a reasoned answer to the question, I will watch your video and address any serious issue/s that it raises.

How can Jesus be "God" and The Father also be "God" ----- at the same time?

cool

Because God is not 3 but 1 , expressed as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The concept of Trinity , where we have a godhead with the Father as the head, Son in the middle and Holy Spirit at the bottom is just plain false and not at all biblical.

Jesus Christ is the express image of the person of GOD , He is the radiance of God's glory, He is the Alpha and Omega , he is GOD.

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." - Hebrews 1:3

He only became a little lower than the father because he humbled himself as a man to die for our sins. This is the great mystery.

You will ask me , if Jesus was GOD , then where was the father.

Answer :

"If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?[/b]Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: [b]God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
" - 1 Timothy 3:16

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

Look at this striking comparison between Christ and God , from the new testament and old testament.

New Testament :

"The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, 15his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters." - Revelation 1:14

“As I looked,thrones were placed,and the Ancient of Days took his seat;his clothing was white as snow,and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames;its wheels were burning fire.A stream of fire issued and came out from before him;a thousand thousands served him,
and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him;the court sat in judgment,and the books were opened." - Daniel 7:9
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 4:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^^ Sorry, as far as I can see, the answer above does not answer the question:

If Jesus is God, how can The Father also be God at the same time.

This is the crux --- the issue that everyone has to grapple with.

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^

I can see that you are somehow confusing yourself, remember , God does not work with human logic but with divine inspiration.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 4:54pm On Feb 16, 2012
I have not insulted you so far --- though I have plenty of bases to do so.  smiley

If you cannot answer the question --- it is no worry to me. However, I would expect an intellectually honest Christian seeking true knowledge and understanding to spend time thinking about the question.

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 16, 2012
^^

Insult

Anyway , carry on with your 'intellectual research'.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Zikkyy(m): 5:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
Enigma:

Many people say they do not believe in the idea of God as "Trinity". However, quite often when some of them make a few posts it seems that they are supporting that which they deny. I suggest that (leaving aside the "intellectual shenanigans" at Nicea) there is really a simple test for a person to know and or determine whether or not s/he believes that God is "Trinity".   smiley

If one's answer to any of the above is NO ---- then one does not believe in God as Trinity.

On the other hand if one's answer to each of the four questions is YES, then one is indeed a believer in God as Trinity.   smiley

cool 

Bros, this your questions get as e be grin walahi, na only God himself fit answer this question grin
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
grin

Na so! smiley

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Ptolomeus(m): 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2012
frosbel:

^^

Anyway , carry on with your 'intellectual research'.

frosbel:

^^
God does not work with human logic but with divine inspiration.

I understand dear friend.
According to their reasoning comes down to faith, to what you think.
They are not important or historical documents nor the Vatican itself.
To you it has no value, "is all about faith."
Understand that in those parameters there is no place to dialogue to the mutual enrichment.
For my part I terminated the discussion, but not before expressing my respect.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 16, 2012
Ptolomeus:

I understand dear friend.
According to their reasoning comes down to faith, to what you think.
They are not important or historical documents nor the Vatican itself.
To you it has no value, "is all about faith."
Understand that in those parameters there is no place to dialogue to the mutual enrichment.
For my part I terminated the discussion, but not before expressing my respect.

Sorry if I came across as a little harsh, but Jesus Christ is GOD, not in the trinity definition though.

Thanks for your patience.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by aletheia(m): 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2012
Words convey ideas. The word "trinity" is a Greek philosophical construct to convey a certain idea about the nature of God. But I believe it is inaccurate and does leave room for erroneous ideas and interpretations as demonstrated on this earlier thread here.

When Jesus says "I and the Father are one": What comes to our minds? That He is separate and stands somewhat apart from God the Father? Does scripture in anyway explicitly teach as the "trinity" suggests there are "three" persons in God?

Though I disagree with Frosbel concerning certain of his views regarding the West and Israel, on this I find 100% concordance with him so I reproduce in full his post with just one emendation.

frosbel:

Because God is not 3 but 1 , expressed who has shown himself to men as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The concept of Trinity , where we have a godhead with the Father as the head, Son in the middle and Holy Spirit at the bottom is just plain false and not at all biblical.

Jesus Christ is the express image of the person of GOD , He is the radiance of God's glory, He is the Alpha and Omega , he is GOD.

"The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." - Hebrews 1:3

He only became a little lower than the father because he humbled himself as a man to die for our sins. This is the great mystery.

You will ask me , if Jesus was GOD , then where was the father.

Answer :

"If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?[/b]Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: [b]God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
" - 1 Timothy 3:16

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

Look at this striking comparison between Christ and God , from the new testament and old testament.

New Testament :

"The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, 15his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters." - Revelation 1:14

“As I looked,thrones were placed,and the Ancient of Days took his seat;his clothing was white as snow,and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames;its wheels were burning fire.A stream of fire issued and came out from before him;a thousand thousands served him,
and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him;the court sat in judgment,and the books were opened." - Daniel 7:9

1. Do you believe that God is ONE? Yes

2. Do you believe that The Father is God? Yes

3. Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God? Yes

4. Do you believe that the Holy Spirit is God? Yes
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
Enigma:

Many people say they do not believe in the idea of God as "Trinity". However, quite often when some of them make a few posts it seems that they are supporting that which they deny. I suggest that (leaving aside the "intellectual shenanigans" at Nicea) there is really a simple test for a person to know and or determine whether or not s/he believes that God is "Trinity". smiley

On the other hand if one's answer to each of the four questions is YES, then one is indeed a believer in God as Trinity. smiley

cool

I agree that God is a tri-une God. The diagram below explains it well.

Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Ptolomeus(m): 8:48pm On Feb 17, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

I agree that God is a tri-une God. The diagram below explains it well.
Exactly!
This diagram is in Corinthios 12:42 ,
A=B, B=C then A=C
(There are some exceptions)
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 9:25am On Feb 18, 2012
On the thread that frosbel started which eventually led to this one, I wrote the following:

One interesting thing I notice about frosbel's posts is that he actually believes in the most fundamental tenets of the Trinity doctrine i.e.:

- (a) The Father is God; (b) Jesus is God; and (c) The Holy Spirit is God; AND
- that God is One

What he had (has?) not realised is that anybody who believes the above already believes in the Trinity at least in one form or anothersmiley

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-870257.32.html#msg10206457

Well this seems to be borne out by the most recent posts: whether God is being called a "tri-une" God or whether there are disagreements with elements of the Nicene formulation, once the four questions I posed are answered in the affirmative, the result is a belief in "Trinity" in one form or another. Otherwise, the question that I posed to Frosbel on the other thread remains: how can Jesus be God and The Father be God at the same time? To this of course we add, how can Jesus be God, The Father be God and the Holy Spirit be God at the same time. I suppose one honest answer would be to say: "we don't know - but that is what the Bible reveals". I can live with that.  smiley 

cool

EDIT PS I also suggest a careful reading of the opening post and that its argument/conclusion is not even based on the Nicene formulation.  smiley
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 18, 2012
a simple question for the who do not beleive in trinity:
explain what jesus meant in mathew 28: 19. Go ye then and preach to all nation baptizing then in the name of THE FATHER and OF THE SON and OF THE HOLY GHOST
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02pm On Feb 18, 2012
eliment:

explain what jesus meant in mathew 28: 19. Go ye then and preach to all nation baptizing then in the name of THE FATHER and OF THE SON and OF THE HOLY GHOST

Good question.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Horus(m): 12:21pm On Feb 18, 2012
People would call me mad when I said things like, “in your Bible there are added verses to support your trinity theory.” Christians say oh he’s crazy, or he’s mad. Christians claim that a trinity exists in the Bible, when it doesn’t. I repeat, yes, you can find the words “the father, the word, and the Holy Ghost and these three are one” in 1 John 5:7-9 in any version of the Bible. However if you were to consult the original manuscript of the original Aramic or Syriac Bible, you would find that these words don’t exist and that they were added in. If your preacher, teacher, minister, pastor,deacon or any other religious leader really cared, he would take time out to research the original language, rather than rely on poor translations. If they knew how to translate from the original Syriac (Arabic) and Galilean Arabic, the verse 1 John 5:7 that you are familiar with today did not exist. Neither did it exist in the original Hebrew and Greek that were translated from these original languages. It wasn’t until the onset of the Roman Catholic Church that this distortion was made. The Roman Catholics inserted the trinity verse when they tranlated the bible from Greek to Latin. Notice I say “inserted” and not “translated” because, as I already said, the original Greek did not have this verse. However, you will find some Greek translations that have been translated from Latin or English, and it is in these Greek translations that you will find either the whole trinity verse or only a portion of it.

1 John 5:7 is surrounded in controversy because there are two versions of this verse. So-called scholars say the verse used in most bibles today is either not the original verse, or they say that it is only partially genuine. These so-called scholars continue to argue back and forth on this subject because they really don’t want to admit that the trinity really has no basis in the teachings of Jesus.

I will refer to the Holy Bible from Ancient Manuscripts by George M. Lamsa, which is a bible that is translated from the original Aramic or Syriac language :

6 This is he who came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ, not by water only, but by water and blood.
7 And the Spirit testifies that that very Spirit is the truth.
8 And there are three to bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three are one.

When you read 1 John 5:7 in your standard bible, which in this case is the Ryrie Study Bible (King James Version). . . you will read this:

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Do you see what happened?? . . . You will find that the original verse 5:7, has been actually pushed up to merge with verse 5:6.
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 12:29pm On Feb 18, 2012
^^^ Small beer and stuff of conspiracy theorists.  smiley

The matter has long been addressed extensively here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-497445.0.html#msg6575922

cool
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 18, 2012
eliment:

We have allowed tradition to take over common sense.

The Father on the Throne, The Holy Ghost is his Spirit and the Son is the express image of his person.

Why don't you ask yourself 2 questions :

1. What does it mean when the bible says we were made in God's image.

2. You are one yet 3, dont't you agree , and if yes, where is your soul as we speak and where is your Spirit ?

I for example am one even though I am made of 3, my spirit , body and soul.

Unknowingly you guys are promoting a pagan trinity doctrine where God is 3 distinct persons and not 1 .

Those who challenged this doctrine, were butchered in those early days.

And why is the Holy Spirit not mentioned as sitting on the throne in the last days

"The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever." - Revelation 22:3b-4

Notice above it says, the throne of God and the lamb and not thrones !!!
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 18, 2012
Re: The Trinity - A Simple Test by Enigma(m): 1:01pm On Feb 18, 2012
frosbel:
. . .

Unknowingly you guys are promoting a pagan trinity doctrine where God is 3 distinct persons and not 1 .

Those who challenged this doctrine, were butchered in those early days. . . .

This is a misrepresentation. The first element in the Trinity doctrine is that God is ONE (or 1 if you like)!

The first question I suggest in this thread as indicating potential belief in God as Trinity is: Do you believe that God is One?

As for the emotive nonsense about "people being butchered", that is just a lazy excuse and sidestepping of the issue. Started with the attempt (continued) to run away from the question: how can Jesus be God and The Father God at the same time?

cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hell:a Bundle Of Lies. / Happy Palm Sunday / Your Thoughts On The Commercialization Of Gospel Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.