Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,437 members, 7,954,736 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. (6300 Views)

With Jimmy Agbaje... Where Lie D Fate Of Lagos. Do U Think Pdp Will Win Lagos. / Beaf : Jonathan ebele azikiwe Goodluck Root Is Igbo, And Not Ijaw / Breaking News: Beaf- Jonathan's Nairaland Campaign Chief Caught Pants Down! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by musiwa43: 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2012
beaf help me out, which area in lagos do they call makoko. I watch a television program talking about a place call makoko. Which side of lagos is that.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2012
Makoko is one of those slums on the atlantic ocean.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 5:50pm On Feb 18, 2012
Makoko is where Lucifer was born.
It is a place in lagos that is hell on Earth.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by musiwa43: 5:50pm On Feb 18, 2012
is it in the island. the television program says they have school on water.  Why not relocate the people. Most of the children will die of disease.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 5:52pm On Feb 18, 2012
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 5:53pm On Feb 18, 2012
From the air. . .
You can't miss it from Oworonsoki to the island.

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by sheyguy: 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2012
I once saw a documentary about the place. Their women sell their stuff on canoe.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 5:59pm On Feb 18, 2012
This is an eyesore that is a disgrace to Nigeria. After 51 years?
Its pathetic. embarassed
We have lost our way in this country. How can our fellow citizens live like this, are they dogs? Why?

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by musiwa43: 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2012
What fashola need to do is have resident card for everybody who lives in lagos. Either a child or adult.

they will now have a database of the people in lagos.   It is important for development to take place to have a resident card.  The state assembly will now make a law, that makes it illegal for anyone not to have the state resident card.   If the police meet you on the way. the state law  will enforce the police to check your ID on the street of Lagos. And people who refuse to have this state ID will be arrested. And they will be fine , not jail term.

The reason for this lagos state resident card is because this is the only way govt can pay people money without fraud.

While Having accommodation will be link to this state card. It makes it more easy for people to buy a house. The law will force every bank to ask customers to show ID. And any transaction in Lagos or any business in lagos will become illegal if a state resident card is not presented. And photo copy of this state resident card most alway be attached to every business. Only the front of the resident card need to be presented for any transaction.

This is how to remove poverty.  

What they do with the database is that banks are given lower level administration password  to access the database. It makes it more easy for people to borrow money and use it for business.

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Afam4eva(m): 6:06pm On Feb 18, 2012
The goood thing is that they live on the island. The home of the rich.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by musiwa43: 6:11pm On Feb 18, 2012
The most important thing is that , they make a law, making it illegal for anyone in lagos not to have a state resident card on their person at all time. Even if the person is a 1 day how child. And every child most bring this state resident card to school.

And the law must make it impossible to gain employment if you do not have lagos state ID card in lagos.   And you can not even have your child in school either private or public school.

Even people who visit lagos , must go and get state permit card . And at the border of every route in lagos , this state permit card can be issued.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by seenoevil1: 6:18pm On Feb 18, 2012
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by musiwa43: 6:21pm On Feb 18, 2012
This is one of the reason, I said. Remove the Western niger. If you control your money. You can reallocate money for this. But if the money is control from abuja. you can do little to nothing.

To relocate the people will be hard. There are make shift houses built. Which can be temporary own by lagos and the lagos state will allocate to the resident and it will become the properties of lagos state.

The US government uses relocation cabin to relocate american during flood. they are cheap housing unit. that lagos state can buy. And use to relocate people.

you are helpless without your own money.

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by phreakabit(m): 6:38pm On Feb 18, 2012
Once you get on third mainland bridge follow your nose and you will find its location. It is probably the most disgusting and filthy communities in Nigeria. I can place a bet on that.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by musiwa43: 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2012
this is how the cabin looks like. The USA govt have many of this cabin for relocation during flood.

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 18, 2012
A crime against humanity - this angry

Lagos Street life_ Makoko part 1
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejejehze6Xw?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

Lagos Street life_ Makoko part 2
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTy15Di4H9Y?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by amor4ce(m): 3:13am On Feb 19, 2012
Isn't one of the reasons for these slums in Lagos and the stretching of public facilities is the massive population inlux from other parts of the country and the stubbornness of the administrations of Tinubu and Fashola in engaging in low income housing projects.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 4:46am On Feb 19, 2012
Makoko is a slum neighborhood located in Lagos, Nigeria. At present its population is considered to be 85,840; however, the area was not officially counted as part of the 2007 census and the population today is considered to be much higher.[1] Established in the 18th century primarily as a fishing village, much of Makoko rests in structures constructed on stilts above Lagos Lagoon.[1][2] Today the area is essentially self-governing with a very limited government presence in the community and local security being provided by area boys.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makoko

An independent territory, just that their independence was forced on them. Imagine security being provided by area boys?
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by OAM4J: 5:13am On Feb 19, 2012
People need to understand the complexity of Makoko.

Makoko is not and cannot be a residential area. It was a fishing harbor yeas ago before poverty made people turn into residential area.

Note, we are talking about an area where people live on top of water. There is no way development can go to such area as it is impossible to provide road, hospital or school on top of water.

The only solution to Makoko is to move out and rehabilitate the people living there, and you will agree with me that even the FG can not do that overnight, cos we are talking about several thousands of people. But it will happen sooner or later, government cannot/shouldn't allow people to live continuously like that, the present challenge is how to deal with the alternative cost.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by GAR3TH(m): 5:25am On Feb 19, 2012
OAM4J:

Makoko is not and cannot be a residential area. It was a fishing harbor yeas ago before poverty made people turn into residential area.

Note, we are talking about an area where people live on top of water. There is no way development can go to such area as it is impossible to provide road, hospital or school on top of water.

The only solution to Makoko is to move out and rehabilitate the people living there, that you will agree with me that even the FG can not do overnight, cos we are talking about several thousands of people.

+1

The Fg, State or Local government can not do anything in terms of development for those people. The only thing that is possible is for them to relocate and for the place to be demolished, whether or not they get compensation,which is a different topic. The reason that area has not seen any government intervention is because Makoko is an Illegal settlement built on what used to be a fishing harbor, If that slum was built on land it would have been demolished a long time ago. The real sad part is that over the years people kept on coming and many residence have stayed and lived there so long that they are "entitled" to the "land" that is makoko, so relocating wont be possible without a fight

musiwa,,.:

this is how the cabin looks like. The USA govt have many of this cabin for relocation during flood.

Thats the problem and the controversy. Makoko is an Illegal settlement so many say why should they receive housing? There are other poor and unfortunate people out there who follow the law and do the right things who get nothing in return but then people who do what is illegal get a new house, is that fair? That is the main issue and controversy of makoko, people cant be rewarded for building their house any where they want or throw there waste anywhere they want.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 5:40am On Feb 19, 2012
OAM4J:

The only solution to Makoko is to move out and rehabilitate the people living there, and you will agree with me that even the FG can not do that overnight, cos we are talking about several thousands of people. But it will happen sooner or later, government cannot/shouldn't allow people to live continuously like that, the present challenge is how to deal with the alternative cost.

No, our govt officials are just unimaginative people who also lack self-belief. There are countries that have huge swathes below sea level, but they manage to be developed, rich and well supplied with the best services; the lowest parts of Norway are more than 1300 meters below sea level and houses on stilts are all too common. They do not have any neglected place like Makoko that are "too difficult" to develop.
Most state govt officials and LG bosses are abunch of lazy phuckers who shouldn't be in charge of their own compounds. The feral nature of Makoko is the highest level of wickedness; but wickedness is second nature to most Nigerians.
A picture speaks a thousand words, the buildings below are all floating on water:

There are very many beautiful/incredible ones from the same link all pics above are sourced from, here:
http://inspirationgreen.com/floating-homes.html
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by OAM4J: 5:47am On Feb 19, 2012
^na wa for you o beaf?

We are not talking about Japan or other countries that have shortages of land here. We have not even finished developing the landed area, you want Government to develop residential areas on top of water? Excuse me! This is still a developing country!

Even if Government should commit resources and develop the area, do you think the people currently living there will be able to afford it? Ask the former occupants of Maroko.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 5:58am On Feb 19, 2012
OAM4J:

^na wa for you o beaf?

We are not talking about Japan or other countries that have shortages of land here. We have not even finished developing the landed area, you want Government to develop residential areas on top of water? Excuse me! This is still a developing country!

Even if Government should commit resources and develop the area, do you think the people currently living there will be able to afford it? Ask the former occupants of Maroko.

I will reply you with a picture. They speak a thousand words.
The buildings in the pic cost 5% of the conventional cost, yet they are floating on water, look damn good and are perfectly habitable!

It is imagination, application and self-confidence that have propelled the countries you mentioned to development. It is the lack of those things that is propelling us to wickedness and primitivity.

Dude, its lack of imagination, self belief and immense wickedness that result in places like Makoko. Why is it that others can imagine their way out of tight corners, but the Nigerian abandons the problem to God instead? Imagine Makoko being so abandoned that security is provided by area boys?
In other countries people invent, in Nigeria we pray. And yet we wonder why we continue to regress toward the stone age.

It is the same wicked lack of imagination and low self-esteem that has seen us having problems in the ND, possessed with 10 million almajiris and boko haram. What is wrong with our people?

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by igbaodun: 6:06am On Feb 19, 2012
OAM4J:

^na wa for you o beaf?

Like Beaf said, you are being very unimaginative and utterly silly with your approach to this topic. People live there and it is the job of the government, the state government to be sure, to provide for the people, and if it involves building houses on water, so be it.

It is now obvious that the ACN government, the avatar of hope for Lagosians/Yoruba people, for the last decade , has become hopelessly undemocratic, unimaginative, poisoned by corruption and structurally snarled by partisan divisions. Poor Fashola, who steps up to the plate and gets handed a foam bat. One might argue that the peoples faith in ACN government's ability to improve their lives is misplaced, unfortunately.  More disgusting is the brainless excuse people like OAM4J gives for the governments incompetence and cluelessness.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by GAR3TH(m): 6:09am On Feb 19, 2012
But government is not responsible for building housing, they can subsidies it but they are not responsible for building homes. Just like the pictures you posted above, which are private sector investments, its the private sectors that does such development. Government is not responsible for developing or fixing Makoko nor is it responsible for providing security. Makoko was built illegally by members of the[b] private sectors without government acknowledgment nor certification.[/b] And you expect government to be involve, if you come home one day and see a stranger in your home, seating on your sofa watch TV, are you going to make him dinner or give him services.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by OAM4J: 6:13am On Feb 19, 2012
igbaodun:

Like Beaf said, you are being very unimaginative and utterly silly with your approach to this topic. People live there and it is the job of the government, the state government to be sure, to provide for the people, and if it involves building houses on water, so be it.

It is now obvious that the ACN government, the avatar of hope for Lagosians/Yoruba people, for the last decade , has become hopelessly undemocratic, unimaginative, poisoned by corruption and structurally snarled by partisan divisions. Poor Fashola, who steps up to the plate and gets handed a foam bat. One might argue that the peoples faith in ACN government's ability to improve their lives is misplaced, unfortunately.  More disgusting is the brainless excuse people like OAM4J gives for the governments incompetence and cluelessness.

Have you ever heard of the term "Town planning"? I recommend you do a study on the subject, the why, the implication, the cost etc.

And I will ignore you on this thread from now on, I do not debate with people who can not make their point across without throwing insults.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by igbaodun: 6:13am On Feb 19, 2012
GAR3TH:

But government is not responsible for building housing, they can subsidies it but they are not responsible for building homes. Just like the pictures you posted above, which are private sector investments, its the private sectors that does such development. Government is not responsible for developing or fixing Makoko nor is it responsible for providing security. Makoko was built illegally by members of the private sectors without government acknowledgment nor certification.

This is hilarious.

Are you a libertarian? Govt is not responsible for security? lol. Well God is responsible I guess. Typical African with a very tiny brain.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by GAR3TH(m): 6:20am On Feb 19, 2012
igbaodun:

This is hilarious.

Are you a libertarian? Govt is not responsible for security? lol. Well God is responsible I guess. Typical African with a very tiny brain.

Makoko was not created by the government nor was it acknowledged by them. If you look at a zoning map you are not going to see makoko. if you look at districts plans there is no Makoko, Why?  Because its is an illegal settlement built illegally by individuals of the private sector.

Its not a case of providing security but rather a case of not rewarding people for doing illegal things.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Dainfamous: 6:44am On Feb 19, 2012
To be honest i have respect for white people they really use their heads well well,i was watching a documentary about this scientist that invented submarine, what happen was one day he was looking at one particular fish in his fish tank and the fish was standing still not moving an inch, he keep sterling at the fish,from their he started assuming the force behind the gravity that keep the fish still and straight in the water from their he got the idea of inventing a machine that moves under water without detection.

I wish we have leaders like that in Nigeria,by now the country will be so beautiful and rich to the point that Nigerian people will not want to live their country for anywere,
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 6:46am On Feb 19, 2012
GAR3TH:

Makoko was not created by the government nor was it acknowledged by them. If you look at a zoning map you are not going to see makoko. if you look at districts plans there is no Makoko, Why?  Because its is an illegal settlement built illegally by individuals of the private sector.

Its not a case of providing security but rather a case of not rewarding people for doing illegal things.

Makoko has been existing since the 18th century, much longer than several parts of Lagos. Those who choose to ignore it are doing so because it is the lazy and unimaginative way out. Its easy to just imagine they do not exist, they weren't even counted in the last census (its that bad).

Ijora Badiah and several other places are as bad or even worse than Makoko. There is no justification on Earth for neglect; the only way we can develop is to show caring for our communities and to love one another. Wickedness is driving us underground.

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Dainfamous: 6:53am On Feb 19, 2012
People in government in Nigeria needs to sit down and think, if they cant figure it out they should employ deep thinkers to think for them,their is nothing money cannot do,
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 6:58am On Feb 19, 2012
Da infamous:

To be honest i have respect for white people they really use their heads well well,i was watching a documentary about this scientist that invented submarine, what happen was one day he was looking at one particular fish in his fish tank and the fish was standing still not moving an inch, he keep sterling at the fish,from their he started assuming the force behind the gravity that keep the fish still and straight in the water from their he got the idea of inventing a machine that moves under water without detection.

I wish we have leaders like that in Nigeria,by now the country will be so beautiful and rich to the point that Nigerian people will not want to live their country for anywere,

The leaders we have in Nigeria today would send assassins to finish the fool. How dare he block funds for inflated submarine contracts, kickbacks and "kick-fronts?"
Pastors would also have been in competition to clear the seven demons out of the mans eyes, because his own family would have labelled him a "winsh."

That is the depth of the struggle we have in this country. It is one of enlightenment and emancipation from mental slavery.
We perpetrate the very tools that false leaders use to keep us down.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebonyi Govt Bans Religious Programmes On EBBC / NUPENG Calls Off Strike / How Jonathan Will Cruise To Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.