Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,341 members, 7,822,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha (9927 Views)

Ambode Extends Hand Of Partnership To Agbaje, Others / Buhari Extends Hand Of Fellowship To Jonathan / Picture Of Gov Okorocha Demanding The Release Of Voters Held Illegally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 3:54am On Feb 22, 2012
While the Federal Government and most of the states skew recurrent spending disproportionately against capital spending, Imo has dramatically done the reverse, putting recurrent spending at 27 per cent and freeing 73 per cent of inflows into capital development. The ongoing developments in Imo if sustained could be a great embarrassment to other Governors.

Following the introductions, the Governor sat down with his principal officers and the journalists for a breakfast during which he explained his bearing. Excerpts:

What is the scope of the work going on in the state?

We have dabbled into federal government projects and that is why we are being slowed down. We are dualising the Airport road, we are dualising the Okigwe road, we are dualising Orlu road, we are dualising the Mbaise road so as to make the whole state a one city state.

For us, completion is already planned. We have a chart we are following and we have tarred most of the roads. If you go to Ekinegbo road you will see it, but we intend to have all the roads tarred before the end of September. If you go to Oguta, what they used to call water-lake, you will see that we are turning it into a Bar Beach now and we are turning it around, even the hotel has been completely renovated. It is not something I think I can take credit, I think there is hand of God in it. I think Angels are beginning to award contracts themselves. But there is the monumental project, which you are not seeing yet. In the last two weeks we awarded a contract of about N31 billion naira for the ‘Hand of God’? The ‘Hand of God’ is going to be the tallest tower in Africa, if not in Africa and Europe.

[flash=200,200]http://We want to attract the world to Imo State and its monuments. Like we just have the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and we have the Washington Monument. We also have a new city we are building, that is near the Concord hotel.[/flash]

It is an issue of vision and sacrifice, and prudent utilization of resources. In the time past, the last administration had about N280 billion that came into the state. And 95 per cent or 90 per cent of that money went on recurrent. But we have reversed the trend of recurrent, that is the  secret. Now we have 27 per cent recurrent and 73 per cent capital.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 3:55am On Feb 22, 2012
How did you do it?

How we did it is that we introduced what is called “Commercialization”. Take for instance, Concord hotel for the past thirty years never yielded one naira profit for government. Concord, since its inception! When I came in, I met a debt of N450 million owed to the Lebanese company running Concord, plus the N850 million given to the man to renovate the place. So, we spent N1.2 billion in 12 years and no one naira came out and we still owed.

When I came in, I reversed the trend, I[b] sacked the man and I started the renovation of Concord, set up a new management team and then handed it over to Ministry of Tourism. Their salary is about N12 million every month. Now, for the first time, Concord made N40 million. And now it is taking care of paying all the salary of Ministry of Tourism and that has reduced recurrent from our budget. So, every ministry has something similar to Concord allocated to them.[/b]

Eventually, we may have a state where money that come from the federal government appropriation will be used (wholly) for capital projects. While the internally generated revenue, plus the commercialization effort take care of staff welfare and everything.

We have brought business acumen today into governance and removed all the waste and closed down all the pipes of waste. Like for instance, I removed N4 billion out of my security vote back to the conference. This N4 billion would have been money unaccountable.

Insecurity has dropped by almost 70% in Imo state, I mean crime has dropped. These are some of the things making the difference. It’s just sacrifices, prudence in the utilization of resources, bending the laws of due process without breaking it.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 3:56am On Feb 22, 2012
Borrowing equipment

This is the secret. We said if you are a real contractor prove yourself. First of all, we told all of them to bring their machines to the site, so those who borrow equipment after two weeks ran away, so the real contractors now stayed. And the price we award contracts here is the cheapest anywhere in the world. For instance, the office building here was built by the previous government for N650 million.

Now, we can build the same type of building, three or four of it, for the same amount. So, there is a lot of waste and we recovered a lot of money over N15 billion from past contractors who have come back to re-negotiate with us. These are just the way the money is coming, that is just what we are seeing in action. In all of that, it is God and not me who we should thank.

We chose the people for such monumental projects; they are all handled by foreign companies. For the smaller projects, all are being handled by indigenous companies. An Italian group is handling the Hand of God, the Community Centre and the five star hotel.

The Koreans are handling the new city, the Spanish group is handling the Okigwe five star and Orlu five star hotels, the new tertiary hospital. But we are hoping that in the next one year all these projects must have been accomplished.

I believe that in two years anybody that wants to work for the nation can work for the nation. This is where it becomes absolutely necessary; the issue of people staying eight years in office is really uncalled for. Anybody who wants to make any impact for the society in four years time can do that if you bring out all the time to work for the society.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by TRUTHTELA: 3:57am On Feb 22, 2012
Wow, speechless!
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 3:58am On Feb 22, 2012
What is your government doing to enrich the secondary and primary school curriculum?

The young scientist college is something we have started. It is a brand new school we just built. But this is to improve the area of science because we just realized that interest in science subjects is going down. We saw that people are no more getting interested in physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology and agricultural science.

So, we tried to create a special science school where you must have finished your three years in junior and you must be a hot brain. It is a genuine centre, once you are admitted into that school we have decided to pay your fees, what is called “allowance” for going to that school, there will be so much competition.

We also found out that most of our educational system lack the practical side to it. We just signed an MoU with a Congolese Chinese I.T. (Information Technology) guru. I must call him a guru because I saw what he did in China.

He is here right now as I speak to you. And I want to connect the entire school, the secondary school and primary school with computers, e-learning centers, so that anybody in the world can give a lecture at a particular time, using the V-sat to all our children.

That is what we are introducing right now. The project is about to commence. This is how we want to enrich the curriculum, but one thing we want to do is patriotism as a course and nationalism.

We are trying to re-orientate or change the mindset of our children so that they will grow and hit their chests and say, “look I am from Imo state, I must defend it”. So, we introduced what is called the bursary in primary and secondary schools.

Right now we pay bursary to children, N100 per month as salary and we pay N150 to head-boy and head-girl and that has changed the entire sense of the children, who now say “oh! The state is our father”. That is what we are trying to introduce, after that we want to introduce patriotism and nationalism. We are trying to introduce a common song that the children will sing and remember Imo state wherever they go.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 3:59am On Feb 22, 2012
Defining citizenship

And don’t ask me, “how is the money coming?” because I didn’t even know how Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ, other than the Holy Ghost spoke to her. If you are in primary school now, all our children will be paid yearly salary for being a son or daughter of the soil. We are now trying to define who is a citizen.

Your father must be Imo; your mother must be Imo! Every university student is now to be paid N100,000 every year.

Now the children pay N50,000 for their school fee, but the government is paying them N100,000 and making the university autonomous.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 4:01am On Feb 22, 2012
How will you sustain this?

Today, I have over five thousand (surrogate) children. I have school in Ibadan. I have school in Jos. I have school in Kano. People are saying “how is it sustained?” It is vision that sustains a thing and sacrifice. Resources come out of vision. I am afraid to say that my inner spirit tells me something about administration that people cannot see.

Why should even a child of Imo state go to school that belong to Imo state and pay for it? The problem is that the bureaucracy has eaten up all the funds and nobody is responsible, now we have started a greedy system where we are going to have Grade A school, Grade B school and Grade C school, even at the primary school and secondary school because every school is autonomous in Imo state.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 4:02am On Feb 22, 2012
There is this issue about the relocation of Imo state university from Owerri to Ideato?

Well! The Imo state university is in its temporary site. I have received seven letters from National University Commission (NUC) for the immediate relocation of that university or it will lose its institutional accreditation.

But that is not even the issue; my concern is that I don’t intend to build one university in Imo state. I intend to build three universities in Imo state. One in Okigwe, one in Owerri, one in Orlu. It is a very sensitive issue and that is why I don’t talk about it, rather let my good works speak.

Now, if you say the relocation of Imo state university from Owerri is not proper. If you move it from Owerri, and it is not right to go to Ideato South, where is the place that it should be that it will be right? Imo is Imo, what is important is that we have a university permanent site. The question should have been, can this administration actually build a permanent site? I think that is what should be the major issue of concern and not where the university is to be located.

But I have decided that if I have enough time in this state, I am going to build three universities. Which is better? To leave the university where it is and lose its institutional accreditation or to move the university.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/it-is-the-hand-of-god-gov-okorocha/
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Obiagu1(m): 4:17am On Feb 22, 2012
Nawa oo!

Just speechless.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Dainfamous: 4:33am On Feb 22, 2012
DAMMMN shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Nobody: 4:36am On Feb 22, 2012
op learn to summerize and attach link for further reading. virtually all ur threads are very lengthy and discouraging to read. no insult meant pls
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by BlackPikiN(m): 4:42am On Feb 22, 2012
^^^Oga Crocodile no vex.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Dainfamous: 4:47am On Feb 22, 2012
Am loving this guy everyday cheesy may ur days be long okorocha wink
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Nobody: 4:50am On Feb 22, 2012
BlackPikiN:

^^^Oga Crocodile no vex.

nwa nne , nothing megar
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by macjive01: 5:01am On Feb 22, 2012
Rochas is brillant, but i dont like aspect of Imo for Imo, how about an Anambra man , or those Hausas living in owerri since i was a kid, who works and pays ( though nobody pays taxes, but if such demand is requested, is willing to pay his share) , . . his share of whatever, and has been there- Imo state, for ages, why would their children not be qualified to enjoy the free education ?

In America for instance, i know there is a big discrepancy in state tuition and non-state tuition, but if say a Texas man moves to NewYork and resides for a long time , he becomes entitled to partake in any state benefit.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by alexleo(m): 6:50am On Feb 22, 2012
^^^^bros forget that thing you are saying. Let other state governors do for their own people. If the other governors should start their own, their indegenes who are residing in Imo will go back to their states just like Imo people in other states came back to Imo when Rochas started working. For now pls allow us to enjoy what God has given us. We fought for it in the last election while other state chose to allow bad leadership to continue in their states. Its Imo for Imo. Let it sink into you.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Dainfamous: 7:00am On Feb 22, 2012
alexleo:

^^^^bros forget that thing you are saying. Let other state governors do for their own people. If the other governors should start their own, their indegenes who are residing in Imo will go back to their states just like Imo people in other states came back to Imo when Rochas started working. For now pls allow us to enjoy what God has given us. We fought for it in the last election while other state chose to allow bad leadership to continue in their states. Its Imo for Imo. Let it sink into you.
TRUE
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Afam4eva(m): 7:13am On Feb 22, 2012
@Mcjive
I also think Imo should be for residents(whether indigenes or not) but you have to know that there's really no way of knowing whether someone lives in Imo. We don't keep records, so if this largess is extended to anybody, you'll see people trooping from all corners of Nigeria claiming that they've been living in Imo for over 10 years. I think for now it should be Imo for Imo indigenes.

@topic
Rochas is the most outspoken of governors. He knows what he intends to achieve and he's going for it.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by 9jaIhail(m): 8:25am On Feb 22, 2012
I am loving my state big time.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by macjive01: 8:40am On Feb 22, 2012
So how do u define an indigene?
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by jamace(m): 9:02am On Feb 22, 2012
A man of vision with the will to succeed can't be stopped particularly when there is the resources to do so.

Kudos to Okorocha.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Funkymallam(m): 9:29am On Feb 22, 2012
He continues to make other govs look lyk dummies.
Ride on sir!
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by realborn(m): 9:48am On Feb 22, 2012
This is the only honest and pragmatic Governor in Nigeria. He has taken upon himself to serve his people with all sincerity. May God preserve you Rochas. MAy you attain greater feats IJN. Excellent!
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by alexleo(m): 10:08am On Feb 22, 2012
Those who has been asking how Rochas is getting the money he is usng for all the projects he is embarking on can now see that wisdom and vision rules the world. With wisdom king Solomon did wonders in his time in the bible. Its wisdom that has made okorocha to commercialize and privatize government investments under various ministry so as to be able to take care of their staff salary and running cost while the FG allocation would now be pushed into capital expenditure. He blocked loopholes through which state fund is being siphone into individual accounts. Let other state govenors learn and Nigeria will be great.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Abagworo(m): 10:28am On Feb 22, 2012
I've not been to Imo recently but I am a man who likes action. Those in Owerri, Oguta, Orlu, Okigwe should please confirm for me or I might as well wait till I travel for easter before I authoritatively endorse this man.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by Afam4eva(m): 10:34am On Feb 22, 2012
@mcjive
I guess the indigenes are those who their parents are from Imo state.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by macjive01: 10:40am On Feb 22, 2012
^^^ i did call to find out, and all i got was , Men Rochas is working, all the road in owerri , every road ,, i was like how can u say every road,
and they( not one person) replied YES - EVERY SINGLE ROAD.

dualizing all the federal roads in the state

owerri- Okigwe.

owerri- mbaise - umuahia

owerri- Airport

owerri- orlu

three new university same time.

A complete advance something something college

A revamped IBC- i heard its clearer than BBC something em for pass CNN

privatized all the state moribund industry, state farms,

though nothing on industries.

awarded contract to Build " the hand of God"
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by macjive01: 10:45am On Feb 22, 2012
afam4eva:

@mcjive
I guess the indigenes are those who their parents are from Imo state.

so if a woman who is from imo but married an Abia man lives in owerri where her husband works as a chef in concond hotel. and has been in that post and lived in the city for over 7 years. their children are all born and bread in owerri, would u expect those kids to pay out of state tuition , and not enjoy the free education ?
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by warrior01: 11:17am On Feb 22, 2012
nice question
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by russellino: 11:29am On Feb 22, 2012
Rochas is doing very well, God bless him as he does. A friend of mine in imo state told me that the rate of development is mind boggling. If only my journeyman governor peter obi could quit running around abuja and do some work for a change,
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by cantell(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2012
russellino:

Rochas is doing very well, God bless him as he does. A friend of mine in imo state told me that the rate of development is mind boggling. If only my journeyman governor peter obi could quit running around abuja and do some work for a change,
You dey mind that dullard. The foool has refused to do any meaningful work in Anambra.
Re: It Is The Hand Of God – Gov. Okorocha by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:50am On Feb 22, 2012
Rochas and Akpabio, two Governors after my heart.

But has anyone stopped to think what might happen if that man Ohakim wins his appeal? It doesn't bear thinking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics / Ambode Inaugurates New Lagos Council Of Obas & Chiefs / Osasu Igbinedion, Mike Adenuga, President Of Ethopia Receive Daar Awards 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.