Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,685 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? (19465 Views)

Wife To Separate From Husband For Relocating Too Much / Advice For Relocating To Nigeria / Hilarious Nigeria: What If Your Wife SLAPS Your Mum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 8:50pm On May 09, 2012
rakumiii:

@pato405.................I got you my broda......but if you dont mind do you have an answer to my question or a sugestion?

Can I use a 2.2kw inverter to power a 1hp air conditioner and how long will it last if it does? if i need it to run it for 12-15hrs, what capacity inverter would i need?

i beg no vex i have never had any experince with inverters so I have no clue.....

Thanks

to be frank with you, I have never really used it but I think I'll need it when relocating to Nigeria and would advise that anyone travelling back to Naija should get one as a matter of necessity because NEPA ruined my last visit. it wasn't funny. I wish someone with facts can throw more light on its capacity because carrying such a heavy 'mini-tansformer' only to get home and discover that its use value is almost zero won't be funny either. if it can last as much as 10hours with four flourescents light on, an LCD on, a refrigerator, 3 ceiling fans, and may be a home theatre system that wont be bad at all. as regards A/C, forget it o! grin. it may explode.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 8:56pm On May 09, 2012
Tstark: @Pato405
That's NOT what i was implying. I said that based on the fact that the OP intends to move to Nigeria soon. So if building an accommodation is now going to be factored into the equation it would mean that they would not be able to move until they complete the house.

ok! got what you mean now. cool cool
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by gbollykore: 9:06pm On May 09, 2012
Talking about inverters i have a 5000 watt inverter ,brand new in a box for sale in Lagos, for $5,000, it can power an entire house with 4 AIRCONDONDITIONER , CALL 08026054268 FOR IMMEDIATE PICK UP
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by SOUTHSOUTH1: 9:14pm On May 09, 2012
PurestBoy: While Boko Haram are planning to move down to Lagos, this one dey plan relocate to Lagos from a safer country, i wonder how some people reason like goats

MUST YOU POST ON THIS INFORMATIVE THREAD? IS IT A MUST TO YOU?
WHY THE INSULT?
IS IT AN OFFENCE FOR YOU TO STUMBLE ON A THREAD IN WHICH PEOPLE ARE WELL BEHAVE?
TO YOU, DOES IT MEANS WE CAN'T GET AN INSULT FREE THREAD ON NAIRALAND?
YOU BETTER GO AND LOOK FOR A BETTER LIFE.. mtweeeeeeeeeew

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 9:23pm On May 09, 2012
SOUTH SOUTH:

MUST YOU POST ON THIS INFORMATIVE THREAD? IS IT A MUST TO YOU?
WHY THE INSULT?
IS IT AN OFFENCE FOR YOU TO STUMBLE ON A THREAD IN WHICH PEOPLE ARE WELL BEHAVE?
TO YOU, DOES IT MEANS WE CAN'T GET AN INSULT FREE THREAD ON NAIRALAND?
YOU BETTER GO AND LOOK FOR A BETTER LIFE.. mtweeeeeeeeeew

I saw his uncouth comment. I just chose to ignore the i-diot. some of this flamers on most faceless forums are simply jobless & miserable teenagers. shove them aside & put them where they belong.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by WhoIGoAsk: 9:28pm On May 09, 2012
0 naira if you don't relocate, or if u wanna switch place with someone here
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by PurestBoy(m): 9:31pm On May 09, 2012
You claim my comment is uncouth and insultive and yet u commit the same crime you're charging me with. You said I'm jobless, well send me ur CV & I'll fix u with some of my biz centres or take control of my site. Anuofia
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by SOUTHSOUTH1: 9:58pm On May 09, 2012
PurestBoy: You claim my comment is uncouth and insultive and yet u commit the same crime you're charging me with. You said I'm jobless, well send me ur CV & I'll fix u with some of my biz centres or take control of my site. Anuofia

If truly you possess the above bolded stuffs (I don't dispute)then it shows that you are above 18 years and that you are mature enough to advice the OP without unwholesome words.GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 10:07pm On May 09, 2012
PurestBoy: You claim my comment is uncouth and insultive and yet u commit the same crime you're charging me with. You said I'm jobless, well send me ur CV & I'll fix u with some of my biz centres or take control of my site. Anuofia

not your fault. the internet is a free for all platform. Ever since telecom companies in Naija started this so called mobile internet services with as little as =N=50 [less than 20pence] you can access the internet - so many jobless teenagers like this one who can manage a miserable mobile phone and scrounge out 20pence, enthusiastically jump to the internet to ply their trade - internet scam.

so, OP, Neanderthals and nitwited dimwits like this - 'Poorestboy' remains one of the issues you'll contend with when you get to Nigeria. they are commonly seen at motor parks. they are popularly called 'area boys' or 'agberos'. flee from them even when they offer you unsolicited assistances like helping you to lift your inverter into your car. D-E-C-L-I-N-E their unsolicited assistance. they move about with pen knives and even locally made revolvers.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Yujin(m): 10:25pm On May 09, 2012
OP, don't come back now. If you can stay back there and pray for your country. Fire is on the mountain.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by PurestBoy(m): 10:51pm On May 09, 2012
pato405:

not your fault. the internet is a free for all platform. Ever since telecom companies in Naija started this so called mobile internet services with as little as =N=50 [less than 20pence] you can access the internet - so many jobless teenagers like this one who can manage a miserable mobile phone and scrounge out 20pence, enthusiastically jump to the internet to ply their trade - internet scam.

so, OP, Neanderthals and nitwited dimwits like this - 'Poorestboy' remains one of the issues you'll contend with when you get to Nigeria. they are commonly seen at motor parks. they are popularly called 'area boys' or 'agberos'. flee from them even when they offer you unsolicited assistances like helping you to lift your inverter into your car. D-E-C-L-I-N-E their unsolicited assistance. they move about with pen knives and even locally made revolvers.

Go sleep man, you're a factory-fitted fool who Ĵüڪ† trying to be funny but you're not. I've been an active member of NL since 2007, where was ur father then? i was into computer repairing when i was in Uni & i owned 2 cybercafes then which sold when i graduated before running my own business now so i never travel to seek greener pasture because i believe i can make it here. I'm just drawing the OP to d issue of Boko guys planning to move 2 Lagos though i was too reckless 2 refer him as a goat. So park well & take care
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 11:01pm On May 09, 2012
PurestBoy:

Go sleep man, you're a factory-fitted fool who Ĵüڪ† trying to be funny but you're not. I've been an active member of NL since 2007, where was ur father then? i was into computer repairing [/b]when i was in Uni & [b]i owned 2 cybercafes then which sold when i graduated before running my own business now so i never travel to seek greener pasture because i believe i can make it here. I'm just drawing the OP to d issue of Boko guys planning to move 2 Lagos though i was too reckless 2 refer him as a goat. So park well & take care

sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

to make matters worse for this lunatic, shrinks in Nigeria go on strike every now and then. they are currently on strike as we speak.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by PurestBoy(m): 11:13pm On May 09, 2012
pato405:

sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

to make matters worse for this lunatic, shrinks in Nigeria go on strike every now and then. they are currently on strike as we speak.

"Lunatic" were u referring to ur father? Free me man, i don't have d time to step down 2 ur level just to trade e-war with u.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by menek(m): 11:16pm On May 09, 2012
jay bee: ^^^
Yes
hey! Jay bee, menek is sending greetings to u & madlady. It has been a long time bro
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by debosky(m): 11:16pm On May 09, 2012
mimifonwon:

Umm am not going to fool you , but if you are going to relocate especially to lagos, then make sure you have at least 120K dollars saved in your account for the spending of the above, if you plan to have all those above. I would also say make sure you have a good job. My brother relocated to work for my father's company and i know even though he doesnt have a nanny, nor married yet, he spends over 50k dollars a year , and this said olodo brother of mine dont pay for house rent( cuz he stays in one of our family houses). But it also depends on the area of lagos you want to reside in. If you dont have the dough, dont go past close to Vi,banana island or even magodo self to attempt to get accommodation. The way lagos is is right now, things have become expensive in the more developed places.

Your brother spends over $50k a year without rent, diesel, nanny and no family? Is he living an extravagant lifestyle or are things really that expensive?

I don't know many people have even $50k saved up for relocation, not to mention $120k. . .sounds pretty steep to me as well.

I guess it all depends on the type of lifestyle you intend to live when you get here, and what income level you expect to have.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 11:22pm On May 09, 2012
debosky:

Your brother spends over $50k a year without rent, diesel, nanny and no family? Is he living an extravagant lifestyle or are things really that expensive?

I don't know many people have even $50k saved up for relocation, not to mention $120k. . .sounds pretty steep to me as well.

I guess it all depends on the type of lifestyle you intend to live when you get here, and what income level you expect to have.

it can be up to that, debosky!
the last colleague of mine who relocated to naija had to sell his house here(£110k)to start a business.
although, he's married and he's renting. better to be safe than sorry. $50k = £30k is pea-nuts.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by ronkebp(f): 12:45am On May 10, 2012
OOOOOgaaa oooo, this relocation thing just tire me, my hubby is so bent on moving back home, i am interested too, but i don't know why i am having a cold feet? Miss-Ife, don't worry, will get your 411, so we can be hooking up, and going to the gym together.....smiley smiley, that would be fun...
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Sagewood: 3:57am On May 10, 2012
What is the motivation for relocating to Nigeria?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by lastpage: 4:43am On May 10, 2012
^^^^^ No Place like HOME my brother! Boko Haram or not!!
Its a feeling one gets, when one gets to a certain level in life!

Something to do along the "Maslow's Heirachy of Needs"
.....if you get my drift!

My 2cent:
1.) Buy land and build your own House. Dont plan something "mighty" that would just be a "sink of funds", just a small four-five bedroom Bungalow on a Plot of Land.
Dont go and buy land in the bush o, u wont be able to live there! Dangerous sef! grin

2.) Let Husband go first. (men are usually the scape goat for such experiments! grin )
Otherwise, the person with the better-paying job in Yankee should hold the job and let the other go first.
If things dont work as expected, fail-over plans will kick-in.

3.) The "adventurer" if not in employment, can start a family business (better as employers in Naija are somehow).
He will grow the business till a level that it can support a family, then Madam can come over and become GMD! shocked
And pray none of those "Lagos babes" cause scatter-scatter for your Gari! By fire by force nowadays!

4.) Avoid V.I like a plague. very unstable and just expensive! Ikeja, Ojodu, Maryland, (cant remember this estate along the Express from Bariga side) are comparatively good, cheaper and accessible alternatives. If you have good money, buy an old house, demolish and rebuild around those areas.

5.)Consider children's schooling. We have many good private schools in Lagos now but they are very expensive, unlike the Free education (at least to secondary level) in obodo Oyinbo!

6.)Surprisingly, food is costlier in Lagos than in U.S or Europe! U will get what you eat over here but you will pay good money for it.

7.)DO your budget, save enough money to last you like 3years (without any income), then start your move (after your house is complete).

Going back home is evreyones dream, once you've "conquered" the West, what else?

Lastpage!

BTW: those who are here (and who have lived in Naija before coming over), want to go back home!
Those who are at home and have not lived outside want to relocate and move out! ---- (Should you not be curious as to why these naturalized citizens want to relocate back home? You might be surprised o! grin )
Different strokes for different folks! grin

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by moremi2008(m): 5:20am On May 10, 2012
ronkebp: OOOOOgaaa oooo, this relocation thing just tire me, my hubby is so bent on moving back home, i am interested too, but i don't know why i am having a cold feet? Miss-Ife, don't worry, will get your 411, so we can be hooking up, and going to the gym together.....smiley smiley, that would be fun...

Don't let your husband trick you into relocating home without a 100% solid opportunity. If he can't make a way for himself here, then it won't be any easier in Lagos. Everything is lovely from a distance until you move and discover that life getting high on generator fumes, getting robbed in eternal traffic on the way to or from work, and feeling stuck in a chaotic and unplanned economy, is not what you want for yourself and your kids. This wave of unreasonable nostalgia for "home" needs some sanity-checking.

As I currently stand, the only thing that's going to bring me back home to work for another man is if the company is bringing me back in a very senior role, paying me like an expatriate, paying my kids school fees at AIS and getting me a home in VI/Ikoyi/Lekki. Anything else is a waste of my youth and talent tongue. It isn't too much to ask because I have a couple of friends in their thirties that were similarly compensated when they moved back. Why settle for any less when I have a career I am quite pleased with in the US? grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 5:35am On May 10, 2012
why would anyone want to relocate to nigeria? undecided
If you cant make it in the west then its not likely you will make it in nigeria except of course the intention is to win government contracts by crooked means.
Security, good roads, availability of basic amenities... just a few of the things money cant buy.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by skillsict: 6:16am On May 10, 2012
davidylan: why would anyone want to relocate to nigeria? undecided
If you cant make it in the west then its not likely you will make it in nigeria except of course the intention is to win government contracts by crooked means.
Security, good roads, availability of basic amenities... just a few of the things money cant buy.

"really nice thread. Seriously considering making the move to ExxonMobil here in the US myself. I just wonder if it is possible after a couple of yrs to transfer back to Nigeria."

@Davidylan, stop deceiving yourself!
You posted the above statement on the "Total Oil And Gas Workers" thread.

Relocating to Naija, is all about taking calculated risks.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nobody: 6:20am On May 10, 2012
skills_ict:

"really nice thread. Seriously considering making the move to ExxonMobil here in the US myself. I just wonder if it is possible after a couple of yrs to transfer back to Nigeria."

@Davidylan, stop deceiving yourself!
You posted the above statement on the "Total Oil And Gas Workers" thread.

Please note the highlights. I have no intentions of moving back, just wondering aloud about the possibilities.
Like Moremi said, moving back at all would only happen if a multinational is willing to transfer me on expatriate wages and be responsible for housing, schooling e.t.c. Beyond that, coming to nigeria is a waste of time, energy and resources.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by skillsict: 6:23am On May 10, 2012
davidylan:

Please note the highlights. I have no intentions of moving back, just wondering aloud about the possibilities.
Like Moremi said, moving back at all would only happen if a multinational is willing to transfer me on expatriate wages and be responsible for housing, schooling e.t.c. Beyond that, coming to nigeria is a waste of time, energy and resources.

Alright!
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Nonybb: 7:38am On May 10, 2012
davidylan:

shut up u dont knw anythng about this country. U suffer frm extreme stupid mind. U re the reason why we had bad publicity and for the whities to see us as dark continent
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by moremi2008(m): 8:07am On May 10, 2012
Nonybb: shut up u dont knw anythng about this country. U suffer frm extreme stupid mind. U re the reason why we had bad publicity and for the whities to see us as dark continent

Daftest statement ever! Publicity is the LEAST of Nigeria's problems. But thanks for the good laugh. grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 8:41am On May 10, 2012
ronkebp: OOOOOgaaa oooo, this relocation thing just tire me, my hubby is so bent on moving back home, i am interested too, but i don't know why i am having a cold feet? Miss-Ife, don't worry, will get your 411, so we can be hooking up, and going to the gym together.....smiley smiley, that would be fun...

Heeey ronke smiley Can't wait to go to the gym with you in Lagos, and so many other fun things to do... smiley

funny enough, I was the one to push the idea of relocation to my hubby, and I finally convinced him. We still have a few things to work on, but there are good chances my current employer can send me to nigeria, which would provide a good package to rely on and a fall back plan if things don't go fine, since I can still get my job back here anytime.

When do you plan to move? Or is it not really decided yet?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by keni: 9:22am On May 10, 2012
@ Miss Ife

Please whenever you are ready to relocate fully try to build your own house in other highbrow areas in Lagos except Lekki, Ikoyi , VI.
you would be surprised the amount of cost y'd be saving

Also let either of you or your husband work while the other does business or both of you do business, I currently moved from one part of Lagos to the other, where I stay currently has one of the highest population in Lagos with large vehicular traffic but no standard supermarket, there are so many options for business here
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 9:35am On May 10, 2012
@keni and others : I actually came to agree with my husband on the "building a house" part. I was not really in for it at first, but I now understand it can really help us settle better. That's why we are giving ourselves a couple of years more before moving. I just have to accept that I'll be spending a lot of time in traffic undecided
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by pato405(m): 9:59am On May 10, 2012
davidylan: why would anyone want to relocate to nigeria? undecided

this is the same irksome question you get from many deluded Nigerians. My answer to them is the good old saying ''who no go, no know'' why wouldn't anybody want to relocate to Nigeria. both sides have their advantages and disadvantages if you must know but when the chips are down I bet you, you'll remember the saying that the devil you know is better than the one you don't know. It's much better to fight in a familiar terrain - you can easily wriggle your way out. Before I travelled, I diss Naija so much, but now, I've learnt the only problem Naija has is disorderliness and disorganisation. apart from that, naija is better I must say. if only corruption can be fixed, I don't think any Nigerian has any business abroad. many may move but they'll do so quite reluctantly.

What is there to cherish in this place [Uk] where I work and you slash my pay by almost half by your so called income tax, another half of the remainder goes into accommodation and bills. grin grin grin grin. in the end, you are practically saving nothing. angry angry angry. sometimes, you discover the pay is just huge on pay slip but when the tax hatchets starts landing on your pay, what is left with you isn't any better than what you were earning back home before travelling. now you ask yourself why why why? did I leave grin grin grin. so, for those who think once you are abroad, you become a money king, it's high time you started having a re-think and a re-orientation about this abroad gamble. it's not really as rosy as they paint it o! the only thing I see is just the fact that you'll habitate a clean and organised society. that's all... but if that's what matters to you, why not move to decent places in Nigeria like lekki, Ajah, Gbagada, VI, etc.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Chinom(m): 10:04am On May 10, 2012
Most of the comments here are simply ridiculous. Nothing but grandstanding.One can move and settle in naija with far less than what is being quoted here. You don't have to move to VI, Lekki, Ikoyi or even Magodo. There are many other places you can move to on Lagos mainland and pay much reasonable rent. You can then stay there while building your own house. Many bankers earning Between N100 and N150k a month are living comfortably well in lagos.
For me, once i can take care of the heat, i can live anywhere in lagos.
If you are waiting for when you are ready before you move, then you may never make that move to relocate.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Chinom(m): 10:19am On May 10, 2012
Miss_Ife: @keni and others : I actually came to agree with my husband on the "building a house" part. I was not really in for it at first, but I now understand it can really help us settle better. That's why we are giving ourselves a couple of years more before moving. I just have to accept that I'll be spending a lot of time in traffic undecided

How do you intend to build that house while living in the US or UK ?. Building a house in Nigeria while sitting on your lazy backside in US will cost you twice the normal amount. Here is my advice to you. Your husband has to move first.Find a very cheap accomadation, move in there and then start the construction of a new house.If the funds are available, he can finish the house within a year. Relocating to lagos is all about feelings.You can never have all the situations under controle. The traffic, noise and heat are beyond your controle. But there's no other place on this planet, i would rather be in than Lagos. That feeling of Freedom is not quantifiable.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"My Mother Went Back To College At 45" - Twitter User Shares Photo / How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need? / Describe Your Dad's Slap In One Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.