Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? (19458 Views)

Wife To Separate From Husband For Relocating Too Much / Advice For Relocating To Nigeria / Hilarious Nigeria: What If Your Wife SLAPS Your Mum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 10:52am On Feb 22, 2012
Hello nairalanders smiley

I am still working on my plan to relocate to nigeria, while studying job offers, I will need your help (especially those based there, since I didn't go back for a couple of yrs) as for the cost of life in Lagos.

What price range would you give for those things :
-rented flat/house (3 bedrooms), preferably in VI or Lekki
-24hrs electricity and water (including fuel cost)
- house help / nanny salary (5 days a week, office hours +2)
- occasional driver wages (week ends etc.)
- gateman salary (if in a house, lives in, not necessary if in a flat)
- fuel cost for car
- average cost of food for a family of 5 (80% local + 20% imported)
- other expenses?

Thank you in advance for your help, as this will help me make my decision to move now or wait some more. ,
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by blank(f): 1:15pm On Feb 22, 2012
3 bedroom in Lekki starts from N1m to N2.5m per annum. Then 2 get almost 24hrs light n water, it will be a serviced flat from N400k to N1.5m service charge per annum. U could get ur own gen n inverter which will have a different cost implication.
Fuel costs N97 per litre.
Nanny costs from N10k to N25k if u r getting from an agency.
Gateman is from N10k to N20k if u r very generous.
As for food, I have no idea as people's eating habits are different.

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 7:41am On Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful. smiley
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 2:50pm On Mar 08, 2012
@blank, sorry, was juste re-reading your post and I'm not sure i understand well, when you say

2 get almost 24hrs light n water, it will be a serviced flat from N400k to N1.5m service charge per annum

is that on top of the rent or the rent itself?

tks
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by jaybee3(m): 2:52pm On Mar 08, 2012
^^^
Yes
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
jay bee:

^^^
Yes

what do you mean?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 3:10pm On Mar 08, 2012
i am thinking of relocating too. . . . .but i get different prices from different people concerning rent, utilities, car maintenance, etc.
i would be keeping an eye on this thread though.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 3:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
@coogar, yes, it's not easy to get something accurate. I will be planning a trip shortly before relocating to confirm the essential info, but that won't be before some other things are in place (jobs, savings etc.)
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by jaybee3(m): 3:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
Service charge is exclusive of the rent
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 3:20pm On Mar 08, 2012
Miss_Ife:

@coogar, yes, it's not easy to get something accurate. I will be planning a trip shortly before relocating to confirm the essential info, but that won't be before some other things are in place (jobs, savings etc.)

i think the income is the most important aspect in nigeria - once that is sorted, everything else falls into place.
but then, get a job or be an entrepreneur? there's no job security in nigeria - they fire and hire at will. . . . .employees are treated like shyte.

jay bee:

Service charge is exclusive of the rent

have u worked in naija b4?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by denzel2009: 3:24pm On Mar 08, 2012
Have you also thought about the heat, being an European?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 3:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
denzel2009:

Have you also thought about the heat, being an European?

air conditioning @ home, in the car and @ work.
what's the problem?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 3:27pm On Mar 08, 2012
coogar:

i think the income is the most important aspect in nigeria - once that is sorted, everything else falls into place.
but then, get a job or be an entrepreneur? there's no job security in nigeria - they fire and hire at will. . . . .employees are treated like shyte.

that's why my husband and I plan on doing both, one of us will be employed, the other one run a business. I think it's safer that way. We'll secure a fall back plan here if it doesn't work in naija anyway.

Never worked there, though, pls don't scare me just yet  wink

as for the heat, it is actually one of the reason why I want to move, I just love it  grin

@jay bee : ok, that means, according to blank's pricing that rent + service of a 3 bedroom in ikoyi would range from 1.4m to 4m per annum,
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by jaybee3(m): 3:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
coogar:

have u worked in naija b4?
Nope, but I have friends that live in 'em serviced apartments
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by jaybee3(m): 3:30pm On Mar 08, 2012
Miss_Ife:

@jay bee : ok, that means, according to blank's pricing that rent + service of a 3 bedroom in ikoyi would range from 1.4m to 4m per annum,

Yup
I guess you have to budget more around the mid range.
Good luck with the move
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 3:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
jay bee:

Yup
I guess you have to budget more around the mid range.
Good luck with the move

Thanks for your help. Blank said the prices are for Lekki, would it be more or less the same in VI ? Is it the same for a house or a flat?

It's actually quite close to prices here in Europe.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by denzel2009: 3:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
coogar:

air conditioning @ home, in the car and @ work.
what's the problem?

Easier said! All her movements would be air conditioned?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by jaybee3(m): 3:38pm On Mar 08, 2012
Miss_Ife:

Thanks for your help. Blank said the prices are for Lekki, would it be more or less the same in VI ? Is it the same for a house or a flat?

It's actually quite close to prices here in Europe.

Here you go

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-654777.0.html
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by coogar: 4:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
Miss_Ife:

that's why my husband and I plan on doing both, one of us will be employed, the other one run a business. I think it's safer that way. We'll secure a fall back plan here if it doesn't work in naija anyway.

as for the heat, it is actually one of the reason why I want to move, I just love it  grin

you love the heat in lagos? it's nothing like the summer in the west.
the humidity in lagos can be life threatening.

denzel2009:

Easier said! All her movements would be air conditioned?

of course!
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by blank(f): 4:47pm On Mar 08, 2012
VI and Ikoyi are even pricier than what i wrote for Lekki and the added benefits are not commensurate.
Anywayz, after you have stayed a year, you will have a better idea which area u want to stay.

Drivers cost N25k to N50k a month. If you want a weekend driver, your best bet is to get a company/bank driver. They usually have the weekends free and may want to make more money. Just that i don't know what u can offer them as i do not know anyone that does that.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 5:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
coogar:

you love the heat in lagos? it's nothing like the summer in the west.
the humidity in lagos can be life threatening.

True, especially since I never stayed a full yr in Lagos, I guess I'll get used to it.

@blank : ok, tks for the info. I just want to be as near as possible to potential jobs, knowing the traffic there, I like Lekki, but I'm not really familiar with all the "phase 1"/"phase 2" and so on. Anyways, having a price range is enough for now, as I said earlier, I'll plan a trip to confirm a few things before moving for real.

tks again!
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by otokx(m): 8:27pm On Mar 08, 2012
Don't think 24 hours electricity is a reality?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by Busybody2(f): 7:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
I know the answer to this, easy peasy, I will even generously provide credible links from the likes of CNN, Faux news, UNICEF, etc, to burtress my points. Don't listen to anyone else except me okay tongue

http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/Countries_1320.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-831621.0.html#msg9826436

http://theparley.net/2012/02/13/100-million-nigerians-living-on-less-than-one-dollar-a-day/

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/30792-%E2%80%9990%25-nigerians-live-on-less-than-$2-per-day%E2%80%99.html

http://www.un.org/en/africarenewal/subjindx/131nigr1.htm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty

From the links above plus thousands of other links time would not permit me to post, you can see Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day, so to live like a king, multiply this by 5 to get $5

With 365 days in a year, this totals $1825, so we can brilliantly conclude that this total amount is MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR YOU TO LIVE ON IN NIGERIA, like a king too. And please stick to Old Ikoyi and Victoria Island areas only please lipsrsealed

Glad to have been of help, thank me later tongue

THANK GOD I STOPPED REBELLING AND AGREED EDUCATION WAS A GOOD THING AND STAYED ON IN SCHOOL. SEE ME AND MY GENEROUS SELF PASSING ON "VALUABLE KNOWLEDGE" FREE OF CHARGE lipsrsealed INFACT I AM GOING TO OPEN A CONSULTANCY FIRM RIGHTAWAY SO I CAN CHARGE TOP DOLLARS, NO MORE FREE INFO FROM NOW ONWARDS cool
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by yormy(m): 6:40am On Mar 10, 2012
This one goes out straight to Busy_body, Yes! education is paramount, and you can say that you r generous again n again. nah only God go fit settle Naija's case. Believe me, d world needs people like you.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by maclatunji: 12:05pm On Mar 10, 2012
Miss_Ife:

I have some flats in the heart of Victoria Island going for N5m per annum exclusive of Service Charge. grin I can get you cheaper ones if you are serious and ready. tongue grin
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by maclatunji: 2:04pm On Mar 10, 2012
Busy_body:

I know the answer to this, easy peasy, I will even generously provide credible links from the likes of CNN, Faux news, UNICEF, etc, to burtress my points. Don't listen to anyone else except me okay tongue

http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/Countries_1320.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-831621.0.html#msg9826436

http://theparley.net/2012/02/13/100-million-nigerians-living-on-less-than-one-dollar-a-day/

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/30792-%E2%80%9990%25-nigerians-live-on-less-than-$2-per-day%E2%80%99.html

http://www.un.org/en/africarenewal/subjindx/131nigr1.htm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty

From the links above plus thousands of other links time would not permit me to post, you can see Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day, so to live like a king, multiply this by 5 to get $5

With 365 days in a year, this totals $1825, so we can brilliantly conclude that this total amount is MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR YOU TO LIVE ON IN NIGERIA, like a king too. And please stick to Old Ikoyi and Victoria Island areas only please lipsrsealed

Glad to have been of help, thank me later tongue

THANK GOD I STOPPED REBELLING AND AGREED EDUCATION WAS A GOOD THING AND STAYED ON IN SCHOOL. SEE ME AND MY GENEROUS SELF PASSING ON "VALUABLE KNOWLEDGE" FREE OF CHARGE lipsrsealed INFACT I AM GOING TO OPEN A CONSULTANCY FIRM RIGHTAWAY SO I CAN CHARGE TOP DOLLARS, NO MORE FREE INFO FROM NOW ONWARDS cool

$1= N150

$1825 x 150= N273, 750.

I don't know exactly what I spend on myself living in Nigeria for one year. However, I can guarantee you that this figure is ridiculous if you want to enjoy a high quality life in Nigeria as a family for 1 month talk less of a year. Like I always tell people if you gave me N10 million today, I could spend it within a week without being wasteful and it wouldn't have covered most of the things I want to do.

Ultimately, OP's familiy's pocket and their financial prudence will determine what they get when they come to Nigeria.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 7:21pm On Mar 10, 2012
@busy body : thank you so much ! Talked to my husband about it, he said we can start packing and move. Since we won't need a car or any extra luggage we'll just walk/swim to nigeria grin tongue wink

@maclatunji : I am still in the research phase for now, but will certainly get in touch with you when I'm ready to move. What can be considered a good standard of living is something that depends a lot on individuals, in the end we'll spend what we can afford to spend and we'll thank God smiley
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by maclatunji: 11:20pm On Mar 10, 2012
^I wish you and your family all the best.
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 6:40am On Mar 11, 2012
thank you smiley
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by blank(f): 11:44am On May 09, 2012
How far?
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MrsA: 3:33pm On May 09, 2012
Very helpful thread@ blank, thank you for the directions!!

I have a new question: Can anyone help with what to expect for a relocation fund/payment in addition to salary for a mid/snr manager role? I have had quotes from N7m to $5k!! Quite a difference
Re: Relocating To Nigeria : What Budget? by MissIfe(f): 4:07pm On May 09, 2012
blank: How far?

tks for asking smiley

I feel like many things moved into the right direction recently, we've finally made the decision to move back (we were just considering it before), but we have to give ourselves some more time to plan things properly. I don't think we'll be moving before a couple of years though, because we need to secure job/business and house first and we don't want to rush there and be forced to come back if things don't work out fine. Two/three years sound like an eternity but we'll have to make a few trips there and many other things to think about/plan... So I guess we'll be busy enough to not count the days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

@zion_kitchen_appliances Home Of Kitchen Appliances / "My Mother Went Back To College At 45" - Twitter User Shares Photo / How Much Allowance Does A Wife/Woman Need?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.