Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,696 members, 7,813,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream (5003 Views)

Shiroro And Sapele Power Plants Shut, as blackout worsens - PUNCH / Kainji Dam Is Back On Stream & Delivering Power To National Grid / Ghana's New Refinery Gets Nigeria Take-off Deal …to Come On Stream In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Beaf: 8:58pm On Feb 22, 2012
[size=14pt]220MW Sapele power plant comes on stream[/size]
By Victor Iluyemi
February 22, 2012 08:11:31am GMT

Abuja (WorldStage Newsonline)-- The Federal Government of Nigeria on Monday announced the coming on stream of the Sapele power plant, with a generation capacity of 220 mega watts (MW).

The new power plant, according to the Information minister is part of the 10 power plants to be completed this year.

The Minister of Power, Professor Barth Nnaji, had on Monday in Lagos put current power generation in the country at 4,300 megawatts (MW), representing about 40 per cent increase from 2,800MW at the commencement of the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.

According to him, “this development is a manifestation that the incumbent administration gives priority to improved power supply, especially in its drive to boost industrialisation.”

He also disclosed that his ministry had resolved that there would be 24-hour power supply to Lagos in order to strengthen the economic nerve of the state.

“We have resolved that Lagos will be getting more power round the clock, except if there is a hitch in power supply. I think much attention should be given to power supply rather than the number of generation. This a great achievement on the part of the government. Many areas now have power supply, some have double of what they used to have,” he said.

http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstagenew/index.php?active=news&newscid=3968&catid=26
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 23, 2012
Good news. States should also develop their own power sources to meet their own needs and not depend on an over-stretched power grid.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 23, 2012
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-877611.0.html. This is day number 6, who is the power being given to, Edo or Ondo. Government can tell lies to outsiders but not those of us on ground. I've been burning 20 litres daily of PMS to get just 5 hrs of power. Hearing this is a big insult on my intelligence.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by laCapri: 10:33am On Feb 23, 2012
This is indeed a good news.

I know some people would not be happy with this news cos they want 2 see dis govt fail. javascript:void(0);
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by omosexy1: 10:34am On Feb 23, 2012
Well I think Barth Nnaji is the only minister working for now. Although the objective is yet to be achieved. I wonder where the others are, especially Coordinating Minister, Minister for Special Duties, Minister for Environment and Minister for Youth Development (The man wey the youth no dey see) e.t.c. Now that the SURE-P is not realizable, what next for GEJ and his cabinet. They just have to develop S.M.A.R.T, objective oriented and not pocket full oriented programmes. If I were GEJ I would place them on a monthly appraisal exercise, where all national development programmes would be scaled down to monthly achievable goals. Where any minister cannot achieve his/her target for the month, he/she would be asked to go. Also, some ministries do not need to exist as they are huge overheads and burden to the country e.g. Ministry of Information and Communication (A man gets paid to talk,  Haba. Thats is the only thing we see Labaran Maku for) I think it should be Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). Also, some ministries have some many deputies, imagine Ministry of Foreign Affairs have 2 Ministers of State (I and II). These are the problems. Madam Ngozi should curb these ministries and the recurrent expenditures in the budget would be reduced. Well Done Barth (BUT YOU MUST DELIVER OH).
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by gregg2: 10:38am On Feb 23, 2012
Yes, I've noticed drastic improvements in electricity
supply in my area, but will it last?
Definitely not yet time to pop chapaign.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Beaf: 10:40am On Feb 23, 2012
blink182:

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-877611.0.html.  This is day number 6, who is the power being given to, Edo or Ondo. Government can tell lies to outsiders but not those of us on ground. I've been burning 20 litres daily of PMS  to get just 5 hrs of power. Hearing this is a big insult on my intelligence.

Bros, it simply means that you are not supplied from that power station. It is running and pumping out electricity to Lagos.
How do you know its not your transformer that has packed up?
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by funken: 10:45am On Feb 23, 2012
Fair development in POWER GENERATION. But how much of it is being TRANSMITTED and DISTRIBUTED to the end users - us i can authoritatively tell u that some power generating plants are generating what cannot get to the final consumers. this is becos the transmission capacity of our current transmission lines is outdated and aging!! What is the point celebrating 4300MW on the pages of newspaper when all they can transmit is less than 2000MW of that?? And of the 2000MW how much gets distributed?? How many people are in need of transformers because their transformers are overloaded or don't even exist in the first place? Does that make sense??

We still have a looooooong way to go. But it is a fair start.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Pennywise(m): 10:46am On Feb 23, 2012
Beaf:

He also disclosed that his ministry had resolved that there would be 24-hour power supply to Lagos in order to strengthen the economic nerve of the state.

“We have resolved that Lagos will be getting more power round the clock,

Okayy. Its about time we all move to Lagos
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by WebSurfer(m): 10:48am On Feb 23, 2012
What do they mean by sapele power plant, and still yet , meant for Lagos
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Ray1251(m): 11:11am On Feb 23, 2012
funken:

Fair development in POWER GENERATION. But how much of it is being TRANSMITTED and DISTRIBUTED to the end users - us i can authoritatively tell u that some power generating plants are generating what cannot get to the final consumers. this is becos the transmission capacity of our current transmission lines is outdated and aging!! What is the point celebrating 4300MW on the pages of newspaper when all they can transmit is less than 2000MW of that?? And of the 2000MW how much gets distributed?? How many people are in need of transformers because their transformers are overloaded or don't even exist in the first place? Does that make sense??

We still have a looooooong way to go. But it is a fair start.
sorry nigeria current transmission lines now support 7000mw grin
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by aglomar: 11:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Prof I hope it really happens as said. Forget not Sango Ota, as she is perhaps the next most industrialised place in Nigeria after lagos.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by ePUNK: 11:51am On Feb 23, 2012
let the government bear it in mind that Power Generation is not the only problem - but transmission and distribution also. here in Rivers State we generate more power than can be transmitted - inadvertently wasting natural gas used to power the gas turbines
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by lafile(m): 12:02pm On Feb 23, 2012
This plant has not come on stream. I was there on Tuesday, and testing was still on going. And what saddens me is that it sits at the corner of a 720mw (later upgraded with additional 300mw) facility that has been completely abandoned.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by bolseas(f): 12:21pm On Feb 23, 2012
some good news there.

@ lafile, i think the sapele power plant that is being talked about is one of the NIPP project (Lot 6) located in Delta State. there are 4 units (Gas Turbines) in the station, out if which 2 has been commissioned and are currently generating 225mw. the remaining 2 will be commissioned by April 2012 to make it a total 450mw. However, if there is no sufficient gas, only 1 out of 2 units or, 1 out of 4 units or 2 out of 4 units will be running.

the first unit in Omotosho will be commissioned in March 2012 and this will generate 112.5mw.

the constraints are insufficient gas and as some one mentioned earlier, the transmission and distribution infrastructures.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by gregg2: 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2012
I get encouraged and hopeful each time I drive past the Calabar
Power Plant - one of the eleven powerplants Prof is talking about.

I hear the capacity is about 550 Megawatts - one of the biggest.
The plant looks sophisticated and modern. The staff Qtrs being
built beside it is almost completed. The plant too is almost completed.
There is hope of improved power supply. Prof needs to be focussed.

Unemployed Nigerians too should be vigilant.
Those plants would offer very rewarding employment.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by lafile(m): 2:48pm On Feb 23, 2012
@bolseas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its the same IPP project just completed and carrying out tests at the Ogorode Sapele power plant. Was there Tuesday. I am happy that the plant is complete and will add to the power generating capacity of Nigeria. But standing just close to the abandoned Ogorode plant with 1020mw capacity, it saddens me that we didn't need to get to the current energy crises we are facing.

Met with some pioneer staff of the Ogorode plant and heard the stories of how the plant was commissioned in 1978. Also heard stories of how Govt bureaucracy damaged the plant. As an example, when parts were required for maintenance purposes, a request had to be made to NEPA Benin, who then sends a request to NEPA Lagos, who then sends a request to NEPA Purchasing Lagos, who then sends a request to NEPA Liaison office London, who then sends the request to the German Office of the Power Company that built the Plant. By then, off course you know the damage that would have been caused.

I hope as we begin to rebuild our capacity, we don't allow that ugly beast "The Nigerian Factor" to take us back to the Stone Age.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by bolseas(f): 3:37pm On Feb 23, 2012
@ lafile
the ogorode power plant is a PHCN power plant while the sapele power plant is the NIPP plant.

concerning the abandonment of the ogorode power plant, it will not be the same with the sapele plant because on completion, the plant will be sold off.

as you said, let us hope that the Nigerian Factor doesnt come into play because they may sell those plants to themselves taking us back to square 1.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by JUO(m): 3:41pm On Feb 23, 2012
stories
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by denitro(m): 5:26pm On Feb 23, 2012
Beaf:

The Minister of Power, Professor Barth Nnaji, had on Monday in Lagos put current power generation in the country at 4,300 megawatts (MW), representing about 40 per cent increase from 2,800MW at the commencement of the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.

[size=38pt]IF THIS IS TRUE! OBJ WAS USELESS[/size]
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by tunde1200(m): 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2012
imagin we are celebrating 7000mw while SA is curently runing over 45000mw electricity
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by denitro(m): 5:45pm On Feb 23, 2012
Now I see how gullible we Nigerians were from 1993 - date,
To think that OBJ promised us steady power supply within 2 years
and *didn't increase the power generation capacity
*Spent billions on NEPA in his 1st year
*Spent more billions as he was about leaving office,

I don't like GEJ but for once, someone is doing the right thing.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by jawjaw1: 9:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
The only reason I see why GEJs govt seem to be making some progress with power is because they appointed a professional in Prof. Bart Nnaji as Power minister and gave him the absolute authority to do what is necessary. The man is a thorough breed who is out to make a point.[size=10pt][/size]
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Beaf: 1:22am On Feb 24, 2012
There should be even better news when Mambilah gets built. Unfortunately its been affected by misunderstandings from members of the public about the subsidies argument. I hope that the govt diverts the money for the palliatives into that project instead, cos it would provide a whopping 2600MW that can later be expanded to 6000MW (more than our entire current installed base), whereas Sapele is a mere 220MW. $4billion was injected into that project last year, that should take it some way forward.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by otokx(m): 3:19am On Feb 24, 2012
we are tired of lies
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Beaf: 3:22am On Feb 24, 2012
otokx:

we are tired of [b]telling [/b]lies

--Edited--
It is good to see that you have decided to change. Thank God.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 24, 2012
Beaf the area affected Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ too big for transformer. Heard ☺ƞ itv its feeder problem.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Beaf: 11:06am On Feb 24, 2012
^
Hopefully you will get electricity soon. The problems with power supply in Nigeria are just too many, from World War II equipment to an inadequate number of power stations. We will get there sha.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 24, 2012
Beaf:

^
Hopefully you will get electricity soon. The problems with power supply in Nigeria are just too many, from World War II equipment to an inadequate number of power stations. We will get there sha.
Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥§ Oº°˚˚˚°h. Even with incompetence displayed by Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ workers ℓ̊ still pity them.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by lafile(m): 1:34pm On Feb 24, 2012
bolseas:

@ lafile
the ogorode power plant is a PHCN power plant while the sapele power plant is the NIPP plant.

Ogorode is in Sapele. Its the same place.
Re: 220mw Sapele Power Plant Comes On Stream by Cholls(m): 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2022
laCapri:
This is indeed a good news.

I know some people would not be happy with this news cos they want 2 see dis govt fail. javascript:void(0);
My brother tell us what you think now

(1) (Reply)

4 Photos That Will Make U Fear The Idea Of Another Civil War / VP Osibanjo Uses Power Bank Even In Aso Rock / CBN Postpones MPC Meeting Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.