Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,598 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo (4278 Views)

MUST READ! Senator David Mark, Ekweremadu All In Fresh Financial Scandal Worth B / Don’t Create Problems For Incoming Govt, APC Warns Jonathan’s Men / Don’t Hold Elections In Adamawa, Governor Begs INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Onlytruth(m): 6:01am On Feb 23, 2012
[size=16pt]Don’t create unviable states –Senator Oyofo[/size]

From TAIWO AMODU, ABUJA
Thursday February 23, 2012

Former chief whip of the Senate, Senator Victor Kassim-Isa Oyofo has warned against proliferation of states in the country.

Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, last weekend alerted the nation that the agitation for new states across the country was increasing and had given the number as 45. [/b]But reacting to the development yesterday in Abuja, [b]Senator Oyofo submitted that some of the existing states were finding it difficult to survive and warned against further creation of unviable states, which thrive only on revenue from the Federation Account.

“In addressing the internal architecture of the federation, we must do what is obvious. This means consolidating our gains and formalizing them into laws.

“It is clear that states have to be viable. A situation where a state is created to rely on the revenue share from the Federal Government, which in turn comes 85 percent from crude oil, is unviable and when deeply considered, a sin. It is a sin, because it inhibits the ability of the citizens to develop its potentials, which lie in the talents God bestowed on each of us.

Through the hands of General Sani Abacha, the idea of six geo-political zones arose. Today, we have three zones in the North and three zones in the South. This arrangement eliminated the fear of what was once called the hegemony of the North. However, the dominating criteria should be the viability of a unit.

“Its ability to be self sustaining.’’

On the raging controversy, surrounding the agitation for a sovereign national conference, Senator Oyofo aligned himself with the position of those, who insist that the national question could better be addressed by the national assembly.

“Some have argued for a new assembly called Sovereign National Conference and there are those who say the legislative arm can do this.

“It is true that the legislative arm can do this, if they can rise above petty interests and become statesmen. Already, they are talking of over 45 states, which is clear evidence that those who talk like this do not have the real development of their people at heart. They are thinking of sharing the oil money and their limited political ambition.

The responsibility should be with the Presidency, which can drive the concept to fulfillment. Such a president will remain towering above all others for all times.’’

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/feb/23/national-23-02-2012-012.htm
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Onlytruth(m): 6:09am On Feb 23, 2012
We don't need any new states!

The existing states should be thoroughly scrutinized for viability and many of them MERGED.
My state Anambra is SELF SUFFICIENT. Nobody should balkanize it for any reason. We are fine!
The more they talk about this state creation thing, the angrier they make some of us.
I see it as an act of WAR.  angry
The evil of disunity exploded sponteneously after Gowon unleashed this wicked plot against Nigeria in 1967.
Nigeria has never recovered from it, and it has turned Nigeria into an evil crucible where disunity is cooking silently below the surface waiting to explode.

Greedy politicians should carve up their families into states and fund them!

Here I stand.  cool cool cool
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Onlytruth(m): 6:13am On Feb 23, 2012
My personal theory is that more states leads to more dependence on Abuja handouts and less development.
I bet you that if SE was one state, the problem of electricity supply for instance would have been a thing of the past now.
The state would be big and strong enough to fund MAJOR projects.

All these states should be scrapped!
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Afam4eva(m): 7:07am On Feb 23, 2012
A new states should be created in the south-east to balance the many years of injustice meted at Ndigbo. Where were all these people when states where created out of forests and deserts? They did not bring up the viability issue. It's now that the Igbos are asking for theirs that you now realize that the states are not viable. Since you. Believe this so much, why not rally to have the existing mushroom states espunged. I believe in regionalism but until we get there, we need one additional state in the south-east whether viable or not. Afterall all these states, deserts and wastelands collect federal allocations. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Nuff said.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 23, 2012
We should be working toward regionalization instead of creating states that wont be able to pay common workers' salaries.States like Ebonyi,Ekiti and some others shouldnt have existed !
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by kunlekunle: 8:06am On Feb 23, 2012
state creation or state disunity?
its a tool used in reducing democracy in any democratic state. The people are divided along their language, belief, ethnic and political beliefs.
it takes the devil a minute to raise its ugly head and people will start jockeying for position, and it take another 50 years before they can pitch their tents in any political camp, another 50 to stabilise and 25 to develop.

i'll advice GEL or nee Akinjide to even merge some states not create any.
[size=15pt]state creation kills democracy[[/size][size=15pt]
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by kunlekunle: 8:07am On Feb 23, 2012
state creation or state disunity?
its a tool used in reducing democracy in any democratic state. The people are divided along their language, belief, ethnic and political beliefs.
it takes the devil a minute to raise its ugly head and people will start jockeying for position, and it take another 50 years before they can pitch their tents in any political camp, another 50 to stabilise and 25 to develop.

i'll advice GEL or nee Akinjide to even merge some states not create any.
[size=15pt]state creation kills democracy[[/size][size=15pt]
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by TonySpike: 8:19am On Feb 23, 2012
I think we need to examine these questions:

What really makes a state viable?
Is it in terms of population or mineral resources?
How do we know that a state will be viable or potentially be viable?
Is it in terms of the level of education of the people in the state?

The reason I ask this is because many people think of viability in terms of mineral resources. Human resources, for example, can make a state very viable.

While I do not support the further mushrooming of states, I believe what we should be pursuing now is to have super-structures. Super-structures like regions will reduce the ubiquitous political chain and wastage of resources. Imagine Nigeria having just 6 governors instead of 36 redundant governors? That means we are saving billions on the remuneration of 30 governors' salaries, 30 state houses of assembly, countless of vehicles and outrageous daily expenses of governance. This also means that the National assembly will be considerable reduced in number. Do we now know why these government thieves cannot support a SNC?
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Demdem(m): 8:41am On Feb 23, 2012
~Bluetooth:

We should be working toward regionalization instead of creating states that wont be able to pay common workers' salaries.States like Ebonyi,Ekiti and some others shouldnt have existed !

Seconded.
Instead of creating states, they should be scrapped.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Onlytruth(m): 9:27pm On Feb 23, 2012
State creation is the single greatest threat to Nigeria's unity.
Since it was introduced, all hell broke loose and the center stopped to hold. If we don't reject state creation for the evil of its original intent, one day, the type of war that will happen in Nigeria will make Afghanistan look like child play.
Imagine Abia state with a city like Aba which was largely developed by Sam Mbakwe (an Imo son) waking up to sack Imo indigene workers
Anytime I pass through Aba, I always remember Mbakwe.
IMHO, Imo and Abia should NEVER have been separated for any reason. (I know some of my brothers from there will disagree but they are entitled to their opinion); same with Anambra and Enugu and Ebonyi.

Whatever we think we are losing though federal allocation, can be gained many times over through unity and pulling our resources together.

NO MORE STATES!  angry  cool
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Onlytruth(m): 9:30pm On Feb 23, 2012
In fact, state creation led to the civil war. Gowon created states because he did not want to implement the Aburi Accord he signed; an Accord which would have set Nigeria on a solid foundation for peaceful development and growth.
Now, what we have are stewpid administrative areas which cannot survive on their own and need Abuja allocations to survive.
All these are leading to lack of development and poverty.
Poverty is behind conflcts, and can push Nigeria to another war.

STOP THIS IDIOCY NOW! cool
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by muyoto: 10:57pm On Feb 23, 2012
State creation in our current climate will only give room for more political opportunists--commissioners, state and federal legislators, etc--to further deplete our treasury.

Tony Spike:

I think we need to examine these questions:

What really makes a state viable?
Is it in terms of population or mineral resources?
How do we know that a state will be viable or potentially be viable?
Is it in terms of the level of education of the people in the state?

The reason I ask this is because many people think of viability in terms of mineral resources. Human resources, for example, can make a state very viable.

While I do not support the further mushrooming of states, I believe what we should be pursuing now is to have super-structures. Super-structures like regions will reduce the ubiquitous political chain and wastage of resources. Imagine Nigeria having just 6 governors instead of 36 redundant governors? That means we are saving billions on the remuneration of 30 governors' salaries, 30 state houses of assembly, countless of vehicles and outrageous daily expenses of governance. This also means that the National assembly will be considerable reduced in number. Do we now know why these government thieves cannot support a SNC?

imagine if that figure balloons to the proposed 45?
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by muyoto: 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2012
just to be clear, is he talking about 45 additional states
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by executinal(m): 11:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
No to more state creation.
afam4eva:

A new states should be created in the south-east to balance the many years of injustice meted at Ndigbo. Where were all these people when states where created out of forests and deserts? They did not bring up the viability issue. It's now that the Igbos are asking for theirs that you now realize that the states are not viable. Since you. Believe this so much, why not rally to have the existing mushroom states espunged. I believe in regionalism but until we get there, we need one additional state in the south-east whether viable or not. Afterall all these states, deserts and wastelands collect federal allocations. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Nuff said.
Not necessary. . . . , the more we create more state,the more the youth engage in politics and leave other aspect that will yield better production for the future generation. Just compare 70s and this current regim, you will see that this oil has really done more damage than good to our economy. angry
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Nobody: 11:36pm On Feb 23, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Something dey do you? angry
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by pcicero(m): 11:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
@Onlytruth and Bluetooth
Very conscise and analytical inputs from you guys.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by DRANOEL(m): 12:01am On Feb 24, 2012
we should be talking about merging kano with jigawa,
bauchi with gombe,
southern kaduna with plateau and nassarawa,
parts of niger with northern kaduna and katsina, kwara with yoruba kogi and parts of niger,
ekiti with ondo,osun with oyo,lagos with ogun
edo with delta,
bayelsa with rivers,
akwa ibom with cross rivers,
the south east can be reduced to two states,
benue parts of kogi and southern taraba merged,
adamawa with the rest of taraba merged,
borno with yobe merged,
zamfara with sokoto merged!
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 24, 2012
The solution has already been proffered: Collapse the state structure into the six geo-political zones, and retain the LGs so that governance will remain at the grassroots.

Sadly, the government of the day, populated by selfish, myopic and visionless individuals coupled with some equally ignorant citizens will never seek to tow the right path, either because its perceived to be too difficult or because it will go against their selfish interests and ambitions.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by doofanc: 1:52am On Feb 24, 2012
The agitation for states only serves to undercore the total failure of our present structure. Had states and local govt done their jobs properly, i don't think all these agitations would have arisen. At least not this number.

People now see political power as the only means to wealth, hence this inane, i.diotic clamour for more states.

Viable or not viable, we certainly don't need more states now. Furthermore, how as Tony Spike rightly observed do we even beinging classify a state as viable?
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by aljharem(m): 2:02am On Feb 24, 2012
DRANOEL:

we should be talking about merging kano with jigawa,
bauchi with gombe,
southern kaduna with plateau and nassarawa,
parts of niger with northern kaduna and katsina, kwara with yoruba kogi and parts of niger,
ekiti with ondo,osun with oyo,lagos with ogun
edo with delta,
bayelsa with rivers,
akwa ibom with cross rivers,
the south east can be reduced to two states,
benue parts of kogi and southern taraba merged,
adamawa with the rest of taraba merged,
borno with yobe merged,
zamfara with sokoto merged!

gbammm

My sentiment excatly

ofcourse they would not support this since each state would get allocations of its own rather than share it.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Basics007: 9:56am On Feb 24, 2012
I think the man makes a lot of sense. If only our opportunistic politicians would listen
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by codeworks(m): 9:59am On Feb 24, 2012
State Creation: don't create more states, don't merge states
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by jmoore(m): 11:43am On Feb 24, 2012
afam4eva:

A new states should be created in the south-east to balance the many years of injustice meted at Ndigbo.

I am from Anambra, we do not need "balancing", we need to see things working.

afam4eva:

we need one additional state in the south-east whether viable or not.

Even if it is not viable, you still want one? More states, more problem
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Afam4eva(m): 11:59am On Feb 24, 2012
jmoore:

I am from Anambra, we do not need "balancing", we need to see things working.

Even if it is not viable, you still want one? More states, more problem

I agree with you but we have to scrap the existing states ASAP. But as long as the arrangement remains like this, we need an additional state in the SE. We're loosing allocations.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Pukkah: 12:00pm On Feb 24, 2012
These politicians are not yet serious about reducing the cost of governance in Nigeria.  They know that the right and logical thing to do is to scrap many of these Begging Centres called states and merge them into more viable federating units instead of going cap in hand every month to Abuja to lazily share oil money.

They know that it's in their interest, and that of their minions and lackeys, to have as many unviable states as possible provided they continue to draw fat salaries as Senators, Reps, Governors, etc.  They do not mind to revel in incompetence and ineptitude for as long as their bread is buttered even though the standard of living of the people continues to deteriorate as more people fall into poverty every year.

It is in our interest, but not theirs, to have just 6 viable states with only 18 senators and six Premiers (governors)!

This is why you should not be surprised when they start deliberating on how to prune the 45 states being requested for to about 24 so that Nigeria ends up with an unwieldy and expensive structure of 60 states! This would ensure that they spread the thieving positions round as many godsons/daughters at the detriment of Nigerians.

This is the time to step up the campaign to scrap more states and stand against giving birth to more Waste/Begging Centres by all patriotic Nigerians. Enough is enough of the looting of Nigeria.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
the south east can be reduced to two states

ARE'NT YOU TIRED OF BEEN TRIBALISTIC, WHY SHOULD YOU WANT SOUTH EAST TO BE REDUCED SO THAT WE WONT HAVE ENOUGH REPRESENTATIVES IN NASS TO COMBAT WHAT THYE NORTHERNERS DO THERE, MAY GOD MAKE YOU STATELESS
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by muyoto: 12:22pm On Feb 24, 2012
jchime:

ARE'NT YOU TIRED OF BEEN TRIBALISTIC, WHY SHOULD YOU WANT SOUTH EAST TO BE REDUCED SO THAT WE WONT HAVE ENOUGH REPRESENTATIVES IN NASS TO COMBAT WHAT THYE NORTHERNERS DO THERE, MAY GOD MAKE YOU STATELESS

No need to bring tribal sentiments into this. As you can see almost all respondents above, across tribal lines, are unanimous in their rejection of further state creation. this is gratifying.

As one or two have aptly stated, what we need is merging of the existing ''begging centers''(as Pukkah puts it grin ) into viable, economically sustainable, fiscally prudent federating units, and this cuts across all the zones.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by DRANOEL(m): 12:23pm On Feb 24, 2012
jchime:

bros sorry i offended you. heres a better plan of action,lets create more states. let every clan have a state so that we'd be even. . . .happy?
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Yeske2(m): 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2012
afam4eva:

I agree with you but we have to scrap the existing states ASAP. But as long as the arrangement remains like this, we need an additional state in the SE. We're loosing allocations.
I share your idea because we are actually losing with the present status quo.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by pejol: 12:43pm On Feb 24, 2012
USE YOUR ID CARDS,FRINGER PRINT AND PASSWORD TO LOCK N UNLOCK YOUR DOOR
EXCELLENT HIGH SECURITY DIGITAL DOOR LOCK PLUS DEAD LOCK
USING 2-15 DIGITS. FOREIGNERS NEVER KNOW SECURITY CODE INPUT BY USER)
LOCKING WHEN THE DOOR IS CLOSED (NO WORRY ABOUT LOCKING EVEN IN FORGETFUL PERSON)
ELECTRIC POWER SAVING BY DEVELOPED MECHANICAL SYSTEM (BATTERY CHANGE : MORE 2YEARS = 15,000TIMES)
EASY TO READ KEYPAD IN THE DARK AREA (AUTOMATIC LIGHTING SYSTEM)
call HYPERLINK NETWORK: +2348078440712 or wanpele4good@yahoo.com

Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by Marlboro1: 12:44pm On Feb 24, 2012
The military created the monsters and vampires that we now know as news states. But they are here to stay regardless of what anyone thinks or suggests. Although in a sense you can say they have resulted in sucking the national treasury dry, a case can still be made it is necessary to create those that are viable in an exercise to balance the regional equation of states then put a lid on the exercise. In the alternative, rearrange the states and merge Igbo speaking areas of rivers, delta and cross rivers to relevant Igbo states, kogi and kwara Yoruba areas with relevant yoruba states, kogi and Niger Hausa speaking areas with core north and so on. This will help foster peace, unity and cultural identity that some ethnic groups are fast loosing in the current configuration.
Re: Don’t Create Unviable States –senator Oyofo by JahMan1: 1:04pm On Feb 24, 2012
I am sponsoring a bill in National Assembly.
Scrap 'State of Origin" and introduce "State of Residence".
You will see how tribalism will start to die in Nigeria and also federal character not taking over competence.
My thinking though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Senator Dumps APC / So We Still Have This In Rivers State (pix) / Why Is Nigeria Scared Of Ndi Igbo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.