Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People (13037 Views)

Poll: Are lefthanded ppl subject to normal table etiquette i.e fork and knife

applicable to lefties: 31% (10 votes)
not applicable to lefties: 31% (10 votes)
wtf, i'm african: 37% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

18 Basic Dinning Etiquette / ~Proper Etiquette Dinning Table / Table Manners/dining Etiquette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 2:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
I took this very hot gorgeous Chic for dinner in a proper restaurant, we had the appetizer no wahala, but when it came to the main course- the chic apparently "fall my hand" she held the fork with her right hand while her left hand was holding the knife shocked shocked, after expressing my disgust about her apparent "bushness" she explained subtly that she was left-handed as such the normal table etiquette do not apply to her.

it seemed logical even though i couldnt help but notice the unusual stares in our direction. Is it okay for lefthanded (southpaws) people to hold the Knife with the left hand while the fork is held in the right hand?
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by MissyB3(f): 9:58pm On Feb 23, 2012
She could simply continue to hold the fork in the left hand as she has always done and knife in the right hand, or eat without the knife - which still means holding the fork in the left hand.

after expressing my disgust about her apparent "bushness"
You sef! tongue

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 12:23pm On Feb 24, 2012
^^ thanks kiss, but u havnt answered my question, do lefthanded ppl hav a right to hold the cutlery different from righthanded folks undecided undecided undecided
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by segebaba2(m): 1:21pm On Feb 24, 2012
something came to my mind.if Gov. Fashola Pres. Obama should do same,"who will bell the cat?"
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 1:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by MissyB3(f): 1:29pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

^^ thanks  kiss, but u havnt answered my question, do lefthanded ppl hav a right to hold the cutlery different from righthanded folks  undecided undecided undecided
It's not compulsory to observe etiquette of any kind.

If a left-handed person must observe eating utensil etiquette, more reason you mustn't transfer the fork to the right hand.
The rule is : Fork in the left hand - Knife in the right hand, NOT change the position of the cutlery.
Simply hold your fork in the left hand as you've always done, and pick up your knife.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tpia5: 1:31pm On Feb 24, 2012
i think most left handers eat the same way as right handers, when in public.

your girlfriend might have held her cutlery the same way even if she were right handed, and all you had to do was tell her in a non-judgmental manner, about table placement, if the matter disturbs you that much.

the fact that you felt the need to harangue her and put her down [going by your language and unnecessary aggression], shows you have self esteem issues.

that's all.

possibly you felt intimidated by her?

hopefully the girl didnt show up for a second date.

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by mkmyers45(m): 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
tpia@:

your girlfriend might have held her cutlery the same way even if she were right handed, and all you had to do was tell her in a non-judgmental manner, about table placement, if the matter disturbs you that much.

the fact that you felt the need to harangue her and put her down [going by your language and unnecessary aggression], shows you have self esteem issues.

that's all.

possibly you felt intimidated by her?

hopefully the girl didnt show up for a second date.

Quite a Candid Opinion here, Must Etiquette be observed? Are you concerned about stares or about the lady in from of you?

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 1:45pm On Feb 24, 2012
no big deal, that's the hand she knows how to use best.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 24, 2012
@op sorry but ur the bush one. the rule is 'hold the knife with ur stronger hand' as u would need to aplly more force with it as u cut through the meal. so if u left handed then u hold it with ur left. she was a 100% right.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tEsLim(m): 1:56pm On Feb 24, 2012
She is right you are the bushman. And in today's world nobody tells you how to eat. What can be good etiquette to you can be disgusting to the other person. I'm left handed and even when I use the spoon only I hold the spoon with my left hand. Though I rendezvous to use the Bleep in my left hand because of people like you and maybe my mom who flogged the hell out of me when I was younger and got used to it. But nothing will change me from holding the pen in my left hand or using it in most other activities.

In Brasil I see a lot of people hold the Bleep in the right hand i.e my gf
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
slyfoxxjoe:

@op sorry but ur the bush one. the rule is 'hold the knife with ur stronger hand' as u would need to aplly more force with it as u cut through the meal. so if u left handed then u hold it with ur left. she was a 100% right.
I agree with U. Im sure he was the only one and a few bush people like him at the eatery who noticed the girl.

tEsLim:

She is right you are the bushman. And in today's world nobody tells you how to eat. What can be good etiquette to you can be disgusting to the other person. I'm left handed and even when I use the spoon only I hold the spoon with my left hand. Though I rendezvous to use the bleep in my left hand because of people like you and maybe my mom who flogged the hell out of me when I was younger and got used to it. But nothing will change me from holding the pen in my left hand or using it in most other activities.

In Brasil I see a lot of people hold the bleep in the right hand i.e my gf

U even try change but bros me I didnt change nuthing. My mum didnt try to dissuade me @ all I eat with my left and God help any villager who will come to tell me BS.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
slyfoxxjoe:

I agree with U. Im sure he was the only one and a few bush people like him at the eatery who noticed the girl.

tEsLim:

She is right you are the bushman. And in today's world nobody tells you how to eat.  What can be good etiquette to you can be disgusting to the other person. I'm left handed and even when I use the spoon only I hold the spoon with my left hand. Though I rendezvous to use the bleep in my left hand because of people like you and maybe my mom who flogged the hell out of me when I was younger and got used to it.  But nothing will change me from holding the pen in my left hand or using it in most other activities.

In Brasil I see a lot of people hold the bleep in the right hand i.e my gf

U even try change but bros me I didnt change nuthing. My mum didnt try to dissuade me @ all I eat with my left and God help any villager who will come to tell me BS.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2012
@op you are referring to the white-man table manner abi? Go and tell that to your folks in the village and wait for their response! Abeg the girl try to even respond to you, God save you sey she no jab you with the fork!  undecided
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by BasseyJ(m): 2:07pm On Feb 24, 2012
tEsLim:

Though I rendezvous to use the BLEEP in my left hand because of people like you
Mehn Nairaland and it's word censorship. ROTFLMFAO

1 Like

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by aribisala0(m): 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2012
If you are big enough it will become the trend.

I read somewhere it was fashion once in China for women to paint their teeth black because a certain queen had black teeth and this went on for many years.

Anyway  holding the knife in the left hand is unusual
(not a felony)l but with poise and attitude you can pull of a lot of things.

I don't know what you mean "bushness" as there is quite a lot more to (English) table manners which we mimic than  virtually all Nigerians care to learn.

e.g standing up when ladies leave the table are Naija men BUSH for not doing that?

What is important is not to cause offence.
eg spitting  out unwanted bits on the floor or closing your eyes and twitching the legs as in in ecstasy ,as I have personally witnessed
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by mkmyers45(m): 2:11pm On Feb 24, 2012
woodcook:

@op you are referring to the white-man table manner abi? Go and tell that to your folks in the village and wait for their response! Abeg the girl try to even respond to you, God save you sey she no jab you with the fork!  undecided

GBAM  grin grin grin
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tEsLim(m): 2:16pm On Feb 24, 2012
And worst case scenario he must have taken the beautiful girl on a date to Mr. Biggs instead of a real restaurant. Nigerians and having dates at fast food joints. OMG @aribisala0 remember a friend throwing is veggies on the floor omg that was like 10years ago. Can't imagine it and when i said wtf , he said they must have someone employed to clean it up in the restaurant
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 2:17pm On Feb 24, 2012
Missy_B:

It's not compulsory to observe etiquette of any kind.

shocked shocked shocked- really, guess u havnt been in a fancy restaraunt tongue

tpia@:

atleast u no d purpose of etiquette. tongue

mkmyers45:

Quite a Candid Opinion here, Must Etiquette be observed? Are you concerned about stares or about the lady in from of you?
yes it must? thing is peeps around hia are myopic- imagine being on national tv/being a celeb and u cant hold ur cutlery right shocked shocked angry angry

@Tpia, woodcock, babzila and co
u ppl are really bush- i bet u use spoon to eat eba grin grin grin
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by aribisala0(m): 2:18pm On Feb 24, 2012
tEsLim:

And worst case scenario he must have taken the beautiful girl on a date to Mr. Biggs instead of a real restaurant. Nigerians and having dates at fast food joints
You mean a real restaurant like
Iya Kubura's ? No mind am jare grin grin
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

shocked shocked shocked- really, guess u havnt been in a fancy restaraunt tongue
yes it must? thing is peeps around hia are myopic- imagine being on national tv/being a celeb and u cant hold ur cutlery right shocked shocked angry angry

grin grin grin. me i no send ooh. If he pain oyibo make them try use their hands scoop rice chop and feel the real thing. grin grin grin grin
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by mkmyers45(m): 2:22pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

Why not take her to Iya Basira instead of letting her fall your hand cool cool cool
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 2:26pm On Feb 24, 2012
aribisala0:

Anyway  holding the knife in the left hand is unusual

thank you o jare my bro- atleast ur primary sch cert was not a waste tongue

aribisala0:

I don't know what you mean "bushness" as there is quite a lot more to (English) table manners which we mimic than  virtually all Nigerians care to learn.

e.g standing up when ladies leave the table are Naija men BUSH for not doing that?

mara of fact- i'm quite a gentlemen cheesy

tEsLim:

And worst case scenario he must have taken the beautiful girl on a date to Mr. Biggs instead of a real restaurant.
exsquize me- wetin be Mr. Biggs- is it related to u undecided undecided
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 2:30pm On Feb 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Why not take her to Iya Basira instead of letting her fall your hand cool cool cool
wow!! u must b really smart- i sized her up wrongly, d girl jst fyne for face and nyansh, so naturally i wan compliment her "finess" with a fancy restaurant not knowing dat she ws d Iya Basira type sad angry
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by tEsLim(m): 2:32pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis now you denying your favorite join Mr. Biggs oh ok its KFC . :p Name on restaurant in Lagos if you actually took her to a restaurant.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by MissyB3(f): 2:40pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

Lol! If I use only my fork, I won't get as much stares as the lady holding her fork in the right hand and knife in the left.  tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by Jay5000(m): 2:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
You should have simply corrected her instead of expressing your disgust, if such things are very important to you. From the way u sound i'm sure u got some sick sense of satisfaction embarrasing your date  didn't you? SMH, another one of the many idiotic Nigerians who live to create impressions. Why don't you bleach your skin so you can be completely white? Still can't understand why so many West Africans suffer from self hate and identity crisis. Disgusting scum!

2 Likes

Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by btlasisi(m): 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2012
@Op,

It breaks my heart to read our Young Africans proudly copying other people's culture and even drag others to follow suit.

My dear you need to know whom you are because an English man will respect you for whom you are and never force you to adopt his table manner. Ask your parents for your tribal table manners and you will be real man for live.
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by IbroSaunks(m): 2:59pm On Feb 24, 2012
i'm a lefty too! when i was very little i ate with my left, but i learnt how to use my right because of my religion. I use my right now and if i was in such a scenario i'll probably toss the knife away! undecided undecided
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by snthesis(m): 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2012
tEsLim:

snthesis now you denying your favorite join Mr. Biggs oh ok its KFC . :p Name on restaurant in Lagos if you actually took her to a restaurant.
guy- the post states fancy restuarant- y u dey mention fastfood joints nau tongue

Missy_B:

Lol! If I use only my fork, I won't get as much stares as the lady holding her fork in the right hand and knife in the left.  tongue
so do u agree that it was wrong even though she claims she's lefthanded undecided

Jay5000:

You should have simply corrected her instead of expressing your disgust, if such things are very important to you. From the way u sound i'm sure u got some sick sense of satisfaction embarrasing your date  didn't you? SMH, another one of the many idiotic Nigerians who live to create impressions. Why don't you bleach your skin so you can be completely white? Still can't understand why so many West Africans suffer from self hate and identity crisis. Disgusting scum!
dude- a transformer is missing ur wet hug tongue tongue
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by mxxpunkxx: 3:01pm On Feb 24, 2012
snthesis:

^^ thanks  kiss, but u havnt answered my question, do lefthanded ppl hav a right to hold the cutlery different from righthanded folks  undecided undecided undecided
Hey Mr I.T.K., since when did it become a right?
Obvious stup!dity in it's highest pedigree
Re: Table Etiquette- For Lefthanded People by aribisala0(m): 3:02pm On Feb 24, 2012
I think that is a quetion for Prof Itse Sagay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dishes You Know You Can Cook Anytime, Anyday / What Are Your Favourite Nigerian Food/Meals? / Disgusting Cake Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.