Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? (4335 Views)

Amaechi, APC Are Corrupt, PDP Insists / I Regret Serving Pdp Government That Created Boko Haram B/cs Of Politics.. Maku / Introducing The Youngest Officials In The PDP Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 26, 2012
Please discuss.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by werepeLeri: 11:05am On Feb 26, 2012
What is your definition of a "corrupt government"

What is your definition of a "Free and fair elections"
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Nobody: 11:11am On Feb 26, 2012
PDP government.

Free and Fair elections:
Is an election where there is no rigging
where all main parties have equal access to the main news media.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by werepeLeri: 11:15am On Feb 26, 2012
You cant pass any exam marked by me.

What is your definition of "rigging"

How can all main parties have equal access to the main news media - do they jointly own them?

For a thorough discussion - why not change the title to Can a PDP government ever hold a free and fair elections?
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 26, 2012
Good point -I have changed the title

rigging is done in man ways, so it could be anything from denying opposition equal access to news media, to stuffing ballot boxes, to prevent people from voting. many ways of rigging.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by yinchar(m): 1:37pm On Feb 26, 2012
Capital NO
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Degis(m): 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2012
Wasn't the last General Elections held by Jega, widely acclaimed to be free and fair?. Free and Fair Elections is a subjective term in Nigeria because even if it was transparently done Loser who can't even win in their own homes will cry foul.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Businesstools(m): 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
A rhetorical question.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Ibangap(m): 1:47pm On Feb 26, 2012
NO. Neither can any other political party in power do dat in dis country.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by newslive(f): 1:54pm On Feb 26, 2012
a corrupt leader irrespective of party affiliation will not conduct credible election

Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Krazylover: 1:59pm On Feb 26, 2012
Nice post thanks for sharing.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by LEXYLOV: 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2012
@poster
Please lets talk about how to flush out those epidemic called PDP out of nigeria soil not talk about any election from those parasites please. angry
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by werepeLeri: 2:07pm On Feb 26, 2012
OP - show me any party in Nigeria that doesnt "rig" elections? Show me. I am waiting - backed up with proof.

ACN? CPC? or which one?
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Enosa1(m): 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2012
anything is possible i believe yaradua could have suceeded
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by POTUT(m): 2:17pm On Feb 26, 2012
@OP,

Yes a PDP govt can hold free and fair elections. The INEC & Judiciary are not PDP machinery are they? The responsibility of making an election free and fair depend almost entirely on these two organs.
Where the PDP infringes on anyone's rights, these two organs should do the needful. Where they don't, it will simply reflect the dysfunction in our system that was present since before the advent of the PDP.

Access to news media is a function of strategy and finance. Where there is proof that the NTA rejected campaign adverts of opposition parties, why haven't those parties sued? The NTA, just like the roads opposition parties will drive on to the polling booths are owned by the government of the day.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by seunlayi(m): 2:20pm On Feb 26, 2012
werepeLeri:

OP - show me any party in Nigeria that doesnt "rig" elections? Show me. I am waiting - backed up with proof.

ACN? CPC? or which one?
op I'm also waiting for you tell me the party that won't rig an election

1 Like

Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Koolking(m): 2:23pm On Feb 26, 2012
NEVER! There can never be an orderly system without an orderly leader. Orderly system is a product of orderly leader.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by sylve11: 2:44pm On Feb 26, 2012
My friend, never and there will never be a free and fair election. sad cool
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2012
seunlayi:

op I'm also waiting for you tell me the party that won't rig an election

[size=13pt]Let me turn this question around a bit to get you thinking  here.

Are you suggesting that it is OK for the ELECTED party ,with the near sole responsibility of maintaining law and order and ensuring those who cheat are prosecuted, to cheat because all other(mostly non-elected) parties do?
Cause this seems to be what you are implying by suggesting that question there makes sense. 
[/size]
. I would like to know if you are saying that since everyone rigs and there is no one party innocent, we ought not to expect even the ELECTED PARTY To be more responsible, or hold it responsible, even with all the powers we already bestowed on it by electing it?

Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
Hey did you guys forget that thumb printing marathon for Jonawamper by those matured cougars in bayelsa during the presidential election? Nigerians too dey forget things easily.

Please anyone know where that video is again, lets replay it for ediots like werebornfool! Up PDP! Up PDP!
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by success4(m): 3:07pm On Feb 26, 2012
What a PIPE-DREAM! grin grin grin
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by gregg2: 3:22pm On Feb 26, 2012
ACN organised the worst election in Nigeria's history last year in Lagos.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Feb 26, 2012
^^^ ACN organize an election in Nigeria? Are you sure about that?
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by kutchs: 3:49pm On Feb 26, 2012
Why do we always feel that an election is not free nd fair bc PDP won? Forget OP for now PDP is the only national party nd their success shud nt be a surprise.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by baslone: 3:53pm On Feb 26, 2012
So what's your point?
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by kristiansmart: 5:12pm On Feb 26, 2012
The responsibility of making an election free and fair depend almost entirely on these two organs.[img]http://www.egala.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by bakila: 5:30pm On Feb 26, 2012
No. @ Potut the judiciary share no responsiblity of CONDUCTING a free and fair election it DETERMINE if elections are in SUBSTANTIAL complaince the law. The PDP controlled NASS has produced 3 Electoral Act all skewed against questioning elections.
Free and fair elections is not even determined by any court.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by ayusco: 5:58pm On Feb 26, 2012
@kobojunkie ACN led govt conducted lagos local govt elections last year and they won with a clean sweep of chairmanship and council seats (even though reports had it that PDP was winning in someplaces) because states hav the autonmous power to conduct local govt elections in their respective states the govt(party) in power will appiont members of the state electoral body(note not INEC) to hold elections where the ruling party @ state level always win so therefore parties like ACN LABOUR ANPP are just as guilty as PDP in organizing sham elections
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Iolo(m): 6:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
@OP,

The last elections were mostly free and fair as they reflected the views of the electorate.

Then, there's nothing like equal access to news media. Take this as an example, in the US you would never see an Obama campaign advert or indeed any dems campaign advert aired on FOX NEWS. This is because they've strongly aligned themselves with the republicans.

Here in Nigeria, money talks. NTA might not run an advert frm the opposing parties (I said might coz am not sure) but you still have tons of channels to air ur adverts on.

2. Claiming no PDP govt will ever run free and fair elections is laughable. All other political parties in Nigeria partake in one form of rigging or the other. Be it the use of underaged voters, to influencing voters and ballot stuffin. The reason why everybodi shouts PDP is because they've been the best @ everybodi already does aka riggin. But atleast no can argue that the PDP doesn't spent much more than other parties in politicial campaign tours around the country and ads on paper and tv.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by werepeLeri: 6:55pm On Feb 26, 2012
Only those who havent seen where ACN rigs will venture to think ACN as a clean party.

LOL to the thought of ACN being a clean party.
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:55pm On Feb 26, 2012
Can anyone drink piss and call it fresh water  grin YES! we are doing it already  tongue
Re: Can A Corrupt PDP Government Ever Hold Free And Fair General Elections? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Feb 26, 2012
99 percent of nigerian politicians are corrupt,

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Inside The Toilet At OAU 50 Anniversary (VIDEO) / Buhari: The Problems Of Having An Illiterate As President / Biafra: Celebrations, as IPOB Petitions United Nations (UN) - CNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.