Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years (12383 Views)

Tunisian Ex-president Ben Ali Sentenced To 10 Years In Jail / In 10 Years, There Will Be No More Israel: Kissinger / What Was Gbagbo's Aim? Why Didn't He Just Give Up? He Clearly Knew He Lost: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 01, 2012
Human minds could be downloaded into robots within 10 years, allowing human beings to 'live forever', says the Russian entrepreneur who heads a hi-tech research project called 'Avatar'.Itskov, a media entrepreneur, claims to have hired 100 scientists to reach this goal - and is now looking for other scientists to help with the project.'This project is leading down the road to immortality,' says Itskov. 'A person with a perfect Avatar will be able to remain part of society. People don’t want to die.'
Itskov, a 31-year-old media entrepreneur, says that he aims to transplant a human brain into a robot body within 10 years. He says his technology will be of interest at first to the 'disabled and close to dying'  ‘I understand these are some very big challenges for scientists,’ Itskov says. ‘But I believe in something you call ‘The American Dream.’ If you put all your energy and time into something, you can make it a reality. Itskov envisages surgically 'transplanting' a human consciousness into a robot body within 10 years.He hopes to then 'upload' minds without surgery, leaving human bodies as empty husks as their owners 'live on' inside robots.The project is called Avatar after the James Cameron movie, set far in the future, where human soldiers use mind control to inhabit the bodies of human alien hybrids as they carry out a war against the inhabitants of a distant world.'The next effort of science will be to create a new body for the human being,' says Itskov, speaking at the Global Future 2045 conference. 'It will have a perfect brain-machine interface to allow control and a human brain life support system so the brain can survive outside the body.'Itskov says that the system will at first be of interest to, 'Disabled people and people at the edge of dying.''The third phase will be to create an artificial human brain,' he says - a computer environment into which human minds can be uploaded.
The Daleks' cyborg leader 'Davros': The first stage of Itskov's project will be to transplant a human brain into a robot. Itskov says that the system will at first be of interest to, 'People at the edge of dying.'
His final goal, he says, is to upload human minds into holographic bodies.Holograms give plenty of advantages. You can walk through walls, move at the speed of light, he says. ‘Remember in Star Wars, Obi-Wan’s hologram? That was pretty amazing.’Itskov says he wants to work with DARPA - the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency in the U.S military. DARPA is already  researching ways for its troops to use their minds to remotely control androids who will take human soldiers' place on the battlefield.The Pentagon's hi-tech research arm, has earmarked $7million for research into the project, also nicknamed Avatar.According to the Darpa's 2013 budget: 'The Avatar program will develop interfaces and algorithms to enable a soldier to effectively partner with a semi-autonomous bi-pedal machine and allow it to act as the soldier’s surrogate.'
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by achi4u(m): 9:33am On Mar 01, 2012
, and the story continue.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 01, 2012
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Natasha2(f): 9:50am On Mar 01, 2012
[size=15pt]skreingbe not even in the next I billion years [/size]
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 10:00am On Mar 01, 2012
breezy047:

Itskov envisages surgically 'transplanting' a human consciousness into a robot body within 10 years.He hopes to then 'upload' minds without surgery, leaving human bodies as empty husks as their owners 'live on' inside robots.

I thought about this a couple of months ago.

Suppose it were possible for someone "download" your brain to some digital medium. Then 1000 years after your body is died, technology exists to take this digital copy and "recreate" someone who has the exact same memories, mannerisms, etc as you.

Would this be immortality?

Would it be satisfying?

Somehow it seems unsatisfying, right? It wouldn't really be you who was being resurrected. You'd have been dead for 1000 years. So this copy of you, though exactly the same isn't quite you.

But. . . at the same time, what difference does it make? For all you know, when you go to sleep at night, some powerful aliens make a copy of you, take your existing body/consciousness and destroy it. Maybe every day you wake up in the morning, it is a new replica of yourself, not the "true" you.

Yet there is absolutely no way to tell the difference.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 01, 2012
Biblically or spiritually does this whole thing look feasible?
I mean after the body dies and they start meddling with your brain what happens to your soul?

Am trying to get spiritual (not scientific) interpretation to this whole thing
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by emiye(m): 2:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
Before they achieve that, the world will come to an abrupt end
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Pukkah: 4:18pm On Mar 01, 2012
emiye:

Before they achieve that, the world will come to an abrupt end

How come you're so sure of this?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by executinal(m): 6:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
Very much possible. But only require more advanced techs.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 01, 2012
^
Definitely possible.
25yrs from now this world would be an entirely different scene.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nebeuwa(m): 7:34pm On Mar 01, 2012
The possibility of downloading your mind into a non-sentient being seems like a plot from a science fiction film. However, I do not doubt that humanity would make a technological leap into this realm. It might make our "minds" immortal, but what about our soul? We are missing a piece of this puzzle. The soul, which is the incorporeal essence of a person and the brain is simply one aspect of what makes us truly human.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by PhysicsQED(m): 12:10am On Mar 02, 2012
Itskov, a 31-year-old media entrepreneur, says that he aims to transplant a human brain into a robot body within 10 years

grin

claims to have hired 100 scientists to reach this goal - and is now looking for other scientists to help with the project.

lol, a regular Manhattan Project for the brain huh? grin grin

These scientists are scamming the pants off this guy and he's totally oblivious.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by violent(m): 12:46am On Mar 02, 2012

Suppose it were possible for someone "download" your brain to some digital medium. Then 1000 years after your body is died, technology exists to take this digital copy and "recreate" someone who has the exact same memories, mannerisms, etc as you.

Nothing so far points to the remote possibilities that this could even be achieved. Thoughts are random events but unlike the most events that you may normally assign probability distributions, the human brain is too complex to predict an outcome.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 6:52am On Mar 02, 2012
violent:

Nothing so far points to the remote possibilities that this could even be achieved.  Thoughts are random events but unlike the most events that you may normally assign probability distributions, the human brain is too complex to predict an outcome.

True, but that nothing today suggests that this is possible doesn't mean that 5 or 10 years from now that the situation will be the same.

None of us understands how the brain works. . . maybe it more simple than it seems. Maybe there is a trick for copying brains, who knows?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by alagbatomoye: 6:56am On Mar 02, 2012
PhysicsQED:

grin

lol, a regular Manhattan Project for the brain huh? grin grin

These scientists are scamming the pants off this guy and he's totally oblivious.

Nothing is impossible.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 02, 2012
ekt_bear:

I thought about this a couple of months ago.

Would this be immortality?

Would it be satisfying?

Somehow it seems unsatisfying, right? It wouldn't really be you who was being resurrected. You'd have been dead for 1000 years. So this copy of you, though exactly the same isn't quite you.

But. . . at the same time, what difference does it make? For all you know, when you go to sleep at night, some powerful aliens make a copy of you, take your existing body/consciousness and destroy it. Maybe every day you wake up in the morning, it is a new replica of yourself, not the "true" you.

Yet there is absolutely no way to tell the difference.

Lmao Paddy mi atata.

He went from downloading brains, to resurrection, then to aliens. Ekt baba oloye!

Anyway sha, nothing do you, you dey Cali so I know the green out there is bad-aszz. Especially, those "Purple". Sha, continue, I'm enjoying your posts.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 8:29am On Mar 02, 2012
believe it or not, this is how i think/am when entirely sober and not under the influence of any drugs grin
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by megawax8: 9:04am On Mar 02, 2012
anoda wild goose chase,cant dese moneys be invested in more feasible projects.
smh!!!!!!
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 02, 2012
I feel when some dies and his brain is downloaded into a robotic body that particular person's soul is gone.

So the new robotic version of him will have something missing and that is a soul. It will be very much like him and do the same things he can do but it will not have its own freewill. You can't preach morals to it and it can't live a spiritual life, neither can they differentiate between good and bad becuz a soul is nolonger present.

So i feel these robotics will be like smart puppets. They can think and do the things their former owner can do but they will need to be controlled and they will better function in the military or civic settings.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 9:42am On Mar 02, 2012
breezy047:

I feel when some dies and his brain is downloaded into a robotic body that particular person's soul is gone.

So the new robotic version of him will have something missing and that is a soul. It will be very much like him and do the same things he can do but it will not have its own freewill. You can't preach morals to it and it can't live a spiritual life, neither can they differentiate between good and bad becuz a soul is nolonger present.

So i feel these robotics will be like smart puppets. They can think and do the things their former owner can do but they will need to be controlled and they will better function in the military or civic settings.

How do you know that last night when you were sleeping, aliens didn't:

1. snatch your body
2. copy your brain
3. make a copy of your body
4. kill you
5. place the copy of brain+body in the bed?

As ridiculous as this may sound, you have absolutely no way of knowing that this didn't happen last night.

What is a soul? What does it mean to be a person? How do you know that you are you?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by tolu001: 11:29am On Mar 02, 2012
There is no way this can be called immortality, i see it as just a replica of the original being which is already dead.

Man will definitely self-destruct cry
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ojogbontomoye: 11:50am On Mar 02, 2012
ekt_bear:

How do you know that last night when you were sleeping, [size=18pt]aliens [/size]didn't:

1. snatch your body
2. copy your brain
3. make a copy of your body
4. kill you
5. place the copy of brain+body in the bed?

As ridiculous as this may sound, you have absolutely no way of knowing that this didn't happen last night.

What is a soul? What does it mean to be a person? How do you know that you are you?

Dont you have to prove the existence of aliens before even entertaining the possibility of the above thoughtless, weed-induced scenario?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by cashmentor(m): 11:55am On Mar 02, 2012
No way God will allow such to happen! They'll either start speaking diff languages, go mad or just abandon the project, I trust my God nauww! Hah!

1 Like

Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 02, 2012
@ EKT_BEAR

Having this knowledge that our own world has its own rules and laws governing our functionality, do you not think its impossible for an extra terrestial to carry out these micshievous activities you mentioned without leaving behing traces and feelings that that person would feel?

Becuz in our world actions will always be accompanied by reactions (cause and effect) and no matter how advanced an ET can be as long as it is done here in our world, seen from a relative perspective of that individual there will always be a reaction, a feeling left behind to feel as to the individual that transformation cannever be 100% efficient.

So I will refer to your positions above as a fiction, ridiculous and impossible
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2012
breezy047:

@ EKT_BEAR

Having this knowledge that our own world has its own rules and laws governing our functionality, do you not think its impossible for an extra terrestial to carry out these micshievous activities you mentioned without leaving behing traces and feelings that that person would feel?
Why is this necessarily impossible? We don't know all the rules of the universe. We learn that new things are possible every day.

Becuz in our world actions will always be accompanied by reactions (cause and effect) and no matter how advanced an ET can be as long as it is done here in our world, seen from a relative perspective of that individual there will always be a reaction, a feeling left behind to feel as to the individual that transformation cannever be 100% efficient.

Not very convincing. . . your imagination is simply too limited.

A man from 1000 years ago probably thought the possibility of human beings flying in planes, visiting the moon or driving cars was as unlikely as aliens.

Who knows what mankind will discover over the next many years?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 12:34pm On Mar 02, 2012
ojogbontomoye:

Dont you have to prove the existence of aliens before even entertaining the possibility of the above thoughtless, weed-induced scenario?

Why? I am not saying that they do or don't exist. The example really has nothing to do with aliens. . . perhaps you are confused about the point.

The point is that you have no way of knowing that you are you.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ojogbontomoye: 12:36pm On Mar 02, 2012
breezy047:

@ EKT_BEAR

His point is more philosophical than practical. His seeks to challenge d/u/m/b/a/s/s like you on the concept of self and its abstractness. WHat he fails to realize in all his high intellect and superhuman ego is that you and I arent as highly educated as his almighty self. Hmm, talk about diasporan hubris!
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 12:45pm On Mar 02, 2012
lmao

fstranger again cheesy

Well, there is a philosophical point (how do I know that I am me?) and a practical point (technology is improving, and it is too early to rule out that certain things are impossible.)

Human beings are pretty clever, they've figured out lots of cool things.

In general, unless I see something on the level of a mathematical proof that something is impossible, then I'm not convinced that it is.

For example, would anybody be surprised if they figured out how to copy the brains of say an ant? Completely reverse-engineered it, figured out every aspect of how it works?

I'm not into bioengineering at all myself, but if they accomplish this in my lifetime, I would not be surprised.

And if you can figure out an ant within say 100 years, then maybe after that you can figure out more advanced things. . .
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ojogbontomoye: 12:50pm On Mar 02, 2012
ekt_bear:

Why? I am not saying that they do or don't exist. The example really has nothing to do with aliens. . . perhaps you are confused about the point.

The point is that you have no way of knowing that you are you.

Of course not. My bad, I thought you were talking about aliens or something. I didnt realize you were actually, in your alien decapitated brainless body, talking about zombies. Hey, What do I know?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 02, 2012
EKT_BEAR

You say my imagination is limited you are very correct.

We have discovered millions of species of fish dosnt mean we have discovered all, there are still many more to discover, right.

Likewise in the universe like you said, there are still many more things to discover, very correct.

But everything in science that has been discovered and that still will be discovered is all encapsulated in by a limit. Yes.

Or can you exceed the speed of light?
Isn't that a huge limitation? The same reason why man cant disappear or travel through time to the past or future.

We have to accept as humans just like some of the greatest scientist that there is a limit but within that limit we still have an infinity of discoveries to keep us busy for a million years.

So matter how wide your imaginations can be those things you mentioned are still 'fictional'
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 1:05pm On Mar 02, 2012
How do I know I am me?

Even folks like aristotle, plato and Buddha who spent their entire life along the path of that question could not still provide a verifying answer to the question
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 1:05pm On Mar 02, 2012
But you cannot say what the limits are unless you first establish them.

I dunno anything about physics, but I imagine that if they say things like, "time travel impossible", it is because it would create some sort of contradiction.

But the point is we don't know what the limits are with human beings or animals more generally. How can you say it is impossible to copy brains?

They've done some crazy, crazy things that I almost don't believe are possible despite having read about it.

They cloned a sheep, man. Made an entire sheep out of a cell. No sexual intercourse involved in the creation of that sheep. . . it was made in a laboratory. Basically as if someone scraped a bit of your skin off, took it to a lab and then grew a brand new copy of you from that.

That to me sounds impossible. So does walking on the moon. . . but that happened in the 60s, nearly 20 years before I was born.

So does nuclear weapons. . . like 40+ years before I was born.

All of these things sound impossible to me, but actually happened.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Snowing In Johannesburg Right Now (pics) / George Alexander Louis Is The Name Of The Royal Baby / African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.