Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years (12394 Views)

Tunisian Ex-president Ben Ali Sentenced To 10 Years In Jail / In 10 Years, There Will Be No More Israel: Kissinger / What Was Gbagbo's Aim? Why Didn't He Just Give Up? He Clearly Knew He Lost: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by SamMilla1(m): 8:29pm On Mar 03, 2012
@ekt_bear
apparently you are the only person here who thinks like the white scientists. There was a time i took people on about time travel here but of course our people are only interested in laurels and money. I believe science is the future and we humans discover new things everyday.
What the russian scientist said is very possible. Actually it is relatively easy compared to the thoughts i have about what humans can achieve through science,
Just like you said, 1000 years ago, no human believed that we will be flying by now or have mobile phones or go to the moon or even sail. Another strange thing will definitely happen in the next 1000 years.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Cine(m): 9:01pm On Mar 03, 2012
breezy047

CINE

Truely it is going to be too wierd to us.

How do you retain your individuality,  well imo you don't, it's the gen of being. you aren't one individual, more like a cluster that merges together into one.  

Isn't this going to be strange?
Men with no soul or individualities.

sorry i meant to write 'the next generation of being".

Yes off course it would be strange to you and me, The ability to talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime, through a mobile device and even see them as well i.e. skype; would be strange to any human 1000 years ago. In fact they wouldn't even be able to comprehend it. Just like us in todays world trying to comprehend the idea that we may one day be able to significantly extend our life spans through the realm of cyberspace/internet/robotic bodies, by transferring the data of the mind to binary code that can be stored somewhere. It leads to all sorts of complex questions about the transferability of the consciousness, souls/ghosts etc etc, will this occur within our lifetimes, who knows.

But the ever expanding cyberspace universe is just as fascinating to me as the universe we're living in.  The tech for THE GRID (or the next generation of internet apparently 10,000 times faster than our current internet) exists. Each generation will spend less time in the real world and more time surfing the web. As things become more and more virtual we'll be looking to find ways to make our virtual experiences more immersive. The idea of losing your individual status in the sea of code and information, well it's strange yes, but how do you know you lose your soul?, why can't you have a ghost in the shell (machine), or soul in the machine. aren't our bodies just shells anyway. doesn't our flesh/tissue/organs rot when we die. Whose to say there's a soul in the first place, where were these souls a billion years before man existed, ? how important is it to retain our individuality, what would a giant consciouness mean? these are complex philosophical questions which I can't even begin to answer. But I love the subject, for further reading read " the pearly gates of cyberspace" or just watch GHOST IN THE SHELL because it's deeply philosophical, especially the series the stand alone complex.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Cine(m): 9:23pm On Mar 03, 2012
Horus

How they are going to download a soul on a robot?. Downloading a mind maybe, but a soul?

The soul is a human invention. In christianity, it's the part of us that lives forever when our body dies. Now if we upload our minds to a computer and our body dies. Have we not retained the part of us that will live on or are we still not dead yet? This separating the mind from the soul is interesting because it says a lot about what people really want more so than what they really know is possible. Is our soul not just our consciousness? And when our mind dies does our soul not die with it? or is there an automatic/instant upload download of the mind to the spiritual Christian realm at the moment of death. I love the idea of our consciousness minds living on after our bodies fail us, but I find that because I'm terrified of death and the not knowing, the idea of the mind living on pleases me more. But the idea of not being able to end is equally as terrifying when you truly think about it.

The Ancient Greeks had their own Gods. And it was these Gods that envied humans because they could die. They had an end. The Gods realised that with their infinite life spans they couldn't appreciate things the same ways humans could, I love my life knowing that my heart will only beat a limited number of times, my eye sight is only getting worse as I age, as is my hearing, etc etc,
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Cotton(m): 9:32pm On Mar 03, 2012
I love the idea of our consciousness minds living on after our bodies fail us, but I find that because I'm terrified of death and the not knowing, the idea of the mind living on pleases me more.

I love your post grin
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Cine(m): 10:04pm On Mar 03, 2012
^^^
THANKS
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by RiffRaff: 11:19pm On Mar 03, 2012
Why do so Many People sound so Bitter about d Fact dat these Scientist are embarkin on dis Beautiful project? Religious people should pipe down, they have Nothin against ur God. Just imagine if we Cud have Edison, Eistein & other Brilliant inventors around now.
For those sayin they should Find a Cure 4 Cancer, Hiv, Malaria & Co. U should know dat they are Tryin 2 do dat Already & we are Gettin Closer 2 d Cure Day by Day. 1 project does not Hinder d Oda. These Scientist have done lot of Things Termed IMPOSSIBLE. Cloned, Make Blood, walk on d Moon, Restore Sight, Bionic Body parts, Even Time Travel might b Closer than u Think.
Personally, i Believe once U Can Think about it, U Can Achieve it. Impossible is Nothin!
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 11:43pm On Mar 03, 2012
Sam Milla:

@ekt_bear
apparently you are the only person here who thinks like the white scientists. There was a time i took people on about time travel here but of course our people are only interested in laurels and money. I believe science is the future and we humans discover new things everyday.
What the russian scientist said is very possible. Actually it is relatively easy compared to the thoughts i have about what humans can achieve through science,
Just like you said, 1000 years ago, no human believed that we will be flying by now or have mobile phones or go to the moon or even sail. Another strange thing will definitely happen in the next 1000 years.

There are plenty of blacks and Africans with more imagination, let's not sell ourselves completely short or make it look as if it is something the white man has a monopoly on.

Just not enough of us, though.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 7:25am On Mar 04, 2012
The man dey watch too much movies.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by smalmata(m): 11:23am On Mar 04, 2012
End time signs. White boiz Magic.
Only Righteousness and Obedience to God's Word can save u frm them.
Sumtin lyk 'the New World Order',
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by wizecoder: 6:56pm On Mar 04, 2012
Looking at this with a plain mind as a coder it is very possible, but the guyz will only make a smart zombie, if they actually get it right, they will not be able to control da monster.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by opeyemi50505050: 7:48pm On Mar 04, 2012
Really?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by SNCOQ3(m): 9:13pm On Mar 04, 2012
Also factor in the amount of Physical Memory it'l take to contain the human experience from age 5 to lets say 70. With today's technology,the robot head go too big. grin
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Navi(m): 9:03am On Mar 05, 2012
Super story
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by FBS: 2:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
From a russian scientist? Take it with a pinch of salt. You've been WARNED!!! cheesy
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by SNCOQ3(m): 7:49pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^^  But of course. Most of the views shared in this post are nothing but mere scientism; never mind the high-sounding abstractions. Best thing they'll come up with is a ,  permit me to use the word "Highly Personalized Human Simulation Robot (HPHSR  grin grin)". Apology to Cine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Irish Prime Minister Varadkar Resigns Over 'Personal, Political Reasons' / Diesel Shortage In Europe Threatens To Slow Economic Growth. / Poland "Ready" To Host NATO Nuclear Weapons, President Andrzej Duda Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.