Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years (12377 Views)

Tunisian Ex-president Ben Ali Sentenced To 10 Years In Jail / In 10 Years, There Will Be No More Israel: Kissinger / What Was Gbagbo's Aim? Why Didn't He Just Give Up? He Clearly Knew He Lost: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 02, 2012
Ofcourse I agree with you on this.
If I was living in the time of Jesus and someone toldme that man would one day fly in the air I would label him insane.

I didnt say its impossible to copy brains I only said I do not feel human-robotic hybrid would have a soul or consciousness
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ektbear: 1:21pm On Mar 02, 2012
Before 1996 when Dolly was cloned, the only place I would expect to see a whole new animal being grown from a tiny scraping of another is in a Yoruba juju movie grin

Sounded so impossible to me as a little kid when I first heard it.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 02, 2012
^
Even uptill now I still don't understand it.
Its strange. Wonder what a cloned humanbeing would feel like
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by PhysicsQED(m): 2:29pm On Mar 02, 2012
alagbatomoye:

Nothing is impossible.

I didn't state, suggest, or even imply that it was in any way impossible.

My point is that

a) when this breakthrough is made it certainly won't be achieved by a group whose boss is an obscure media entrepreneur with no background in the area of science he's trying to initiate a revolution.

and

b) merely having "100 scientists" doesn't mean anything. It's quality, not quantity, that matters. I could, if I were a multimillionaire, hire 100 new Ph.D's from various fields, give them a lot of money to play with and a directive ("make this or that specific scientific breakthrough happen"wink and it doesn't mean that they would actually get anything significant done without  1) some of them being very highly gifted/talented in their field beyond what is required to get their degrees 2) having a lot of time to think and significant experience researching in the field (neuroscience) beyond just what was necessary to get their degrees and 3) having connections or access to ideas from some of the leading researchers around the world in that field of science.

People with the ability to initiate the kind of scientific breakthrough that Itskov wants are drawn to more reputable institutions like universities, research institutes affiliated with universities (or at least led by prominent academics that were formerly at universities), or at the very least, companies like IBM or Bell Labs.

and

c) the very fact that he thinks that this is achievable in only 10 years suggests that he doesn't understand anything about the current state of the field he's trying to revolutionize (neuroscience). Scientists are still trying to figure out exactly how memory and thought works. You have scientists like Eric Kandel, Earl Miller, or V.S. Ramachandran at the forefront of figuring out how the brain works, and they and other researchers whose work is of similar quality are nowhere near being able to do what this Itskov guy suggested. Yet merely by hiring "100 scientists" he's going to figure out in 10 years much more than they have in their entire careers? Highly improbable.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 02, 2012
for the doubters and flat earthers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Kelvin

Pronouncements later proven to be false

Like many scientists, he did make some mistakes in predicting the future of technology.

Circa 1896, Lord Kelvin was initially sceptical of X-rays, and regarded their announcement as a hoax.[51] However, this was before he saw Röntgen's evidence, after which he accepted the idea, and even had his own hand X-rayed in May 1896.[52]

His forecast for practical aviation was negative. In 1896 he refused an invitation to join the Aeronautical Society, writing that "I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation other than ballooning or of expectation of good results from any of the trials we hear of."[53] And in a 1902 newspaper interview he predicted that "No balloon and no aeroplane will ever be practically successful."[54]

The statement "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement" is given in a number of sources, but without citation. It is reputed to be Kelvin's remark made in an address to the British Association for the Advancement of Science (1900). It is often found quoted without any footnote giving the source.[55] However, another author reports in a footnote that his search to document the quote failed to find any direct evidence supporting it.[56] Very similar statements have been attributed to other physicists contemporary to Kelvin.[57][58]

In 1898, Kelvin predicted that only 400 years of oxygen supply remained on the planet, due to the rate of burning combustibles.[59][60] In his calculation, Kelvin assumed that photosynthesis was the only source of free oxygen; he did not know all of the components of the oxygen cycle. He could not even have known all of the sources of photosynthesis: for example the cyanobacterium Prochlorococcus—which accounts for more than half of marine photosynthesis—was not discovered until 1986.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by JimmyBoy1: 4:12pm On Mar 02, 2012
This research could lead to alot of mind boggling dsicoveries/inventions, but the quest of making man to live forever is obviously outside their radius.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by gidiMonsta(m): 4:18pm On Mar 02, 2012
I watched a BBC Click clip recently where this scientist created a very advanced robot that could make its own decisions of mobility using the brain cells of a lab rat. If this is possible in 2012, who knows what will be in 2022 or 2032. God supports scientific breakthroughs.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by niddamugu(m): 4:19pm On Mar 02, 2012
I will not work - PERIOD. The initiator of this "project" is not even he would live to complete it.
Another "name making, attention seeking" project that would end in futility.

See my footnote - Eccl. 8v8 (The Book)
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by sample042(m): 4:19pm On Mar 02, 2012
Am nt surprise abt ITSKOV's proposal considering d technlgical dvlopmnts so far(missiles, brain cloning, robots, wireless connctns etc). kudos bro!
more grease to ur elbow.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by buzor(m): 4:22pm On Mar 02, 2012
u guys thought that scientists were insane when they were doing avatar. we cant continue to ignore a lot of things like the possibility of alliens.
what about the lake in d south pole that has being left untouched for millions of years by humans. can u imagine d kind of beings dat ll be inside
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by braine(m): 4:34pm On Mar 02, 2012
How I wish I can be part of the project!
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by babaowo: 4:46pm On Mar 02, 2012
Human imaginations, can it come to pass
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Immune1(m): 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2012
There Is something here we all are missing out:the dude is a'media entrepreneur'.This might just be some media strategy to build unnecessary hype.Don't know the details of the project and honestly, am totally uninterested
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ojogbontomoye: 4:53pm On Mar 02, 2012
braine:

How I wish I can be part of the project!

As a specimen? Absolutely yes.

Anything else . . . dude, wake up and smell the coffee.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by katch1(m): 5:02pm On Mar 02, 2012
Hmmmm,Oblivion of the lost hope
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Harmvirus(f): 5:03pm On Mar 02, 2012
[tr][/tr]
babaowo:

Human imaginations, can  it come to pass
not at all
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by ojogbontomoye: 5:05pm On Mar 02, 2012
Harmvirus:

[tr][/tr]not at all

Typical Nigerian/Ibo with inferior brain.

Thank God, I aint Nigerian/Ibo.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by gidiMonsta(m): 5:07pm On Mar 02, 2012
ojogbontomoye:

Typical Nigerian/Ibo with inferior brain.

Thank God, I aint Nigerian/Ibo.

Is this necesary? undecided
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by dabrake(m): 5:25pm On Mar 02, 2012
Abi the 'human being' go dey enjoy f[b]uc[/b]k?
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by proudly9ja(m): 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2012
I personally don't believe anything is impossible. In this case though, we have to ask basic questions of what exactly makes a human being? If this is narrowed just to his experiences from day 1 till the day he dies, then the concept of living forever may be achieved.

However if we are to accept the religious explanations and include a man's spirit and soul as constituents of a being, then maybe the next step will be to see how to separate these entities and then we can talk about living forever. A good place to start will be what really happens when a man sleeps and 'dreams'? Is it only a brain activity or does it involve the spirit and the soul?

As a christian and also as someone who has some knowledge of AI and robots, I can clearly say that the concept of immortality is possible and achieveable. Whichever way, man will live forever, in heaven or hell, fact!
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by niddamugu(m): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2012
proudly9ja:

As a christian and also as someone who has some knowledge of AI and robots, I can clearly say that the concept of immortality is possible and achieveable. Whichever way, man will live forever, in heaven or hell, fact!

This is a true christian saying but the issue is can man live forever on this earth? Let us not be deceived by science - It is NOT possible no matter the logic we try to deduce from it.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Emilo(m): 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2012
Crazy, funny, foolish set of people, they couldn't even find the cure to viral diseases plaging the world, they are here fooling themselves. The annoying aspect is about 80% of Russians are hungry, just a few are wealthy, this clown could help the poor with this money.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by niddamugu(m): 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2012
Emilo:

Crazy, funny, foolish set of people, they couldn't even find the cure to viral diseases plaging the world, they are here fooling themselves. The annoying aspect is about 80% of Russians are hungry, just a few are wealthy, this clown could help the poor with this money.

Damn! Imagine me wasting my time commenting on the obvious. Even HIV - they are yet to find a cure and they want to change God's pattern.

Emilo - God bless you for your great wisdom and insight.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 02, 2012
They are afraid of hellfire,fact. grin
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by kodebin(m): 6:40pm On Mar 02, 2012
Its Definitely Possible, I had a Friend wayback in high School that can read minds, Telepathy, He Used 2 tell us what d gurls were thinking bout us then. He could tell u what next u want 2 say buh his predictions were limited 2 1hr b4 events,
TELEKINESIS, TELEPATHY, BRAIN INFUSIONS USING ROBOTS, YES, VERY POSSIBLE though it needs Crossing Boundaries.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by agabaI23(m): 6:41pm On Mar 02, 2012
Another bigbang project
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by niddamugu(m): 6:54pm On Mar 02, 2012
kodebin:

Its Definitely Possible, I had a Friend wayback in high School that can read minds, Telepathy, He Used 2 tell us what d gurls were thinking bout us then. He could tell u what next u want 2 say buh his predictions were limited 2 1hr b4 events,
TELEKINESIS, TELEPATHY, BRAIN INFUSIONS USING ROBOTS, YES, VERY POSSIBLE though it needs Crossing Boundaries.

Did this friend of yours really finish his education? He should be a first class genius today.

Those are minds under the control of familiar spirits.

agabaI23:

Another bigbang project

Another hocus-pocus.

I can only accept if science can be used to raise the at least 3-day old, functional morgue-based corpse.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by mkmyers45(m): 7:04pm On Mar 02, 2012
Aren't humans gods? Let them just get ambrosia and save all that money. With god/God all things are possible.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by Manliness(m): 7:22pm On Mar 02, 2012
Abeg, if dem do the robot, e go fit do jiggery-pokeryI mean the robot go fit Zap? That one go make sense ooooh!
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by sammirano: 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2012
In the next 1 billion it will not be possible. everything scientist can beat, not human life.
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by proudly9ja(m): 8:33pm On Mar 02, 2012
niddamugu:

This is a true christian saying but the issue is can man live forever on this earth? Let us not be deceived by science - It is NOT possible no matter the logic we try to deduce from it.
I really don't want to drag the Bible into this but what did the bible say will happen after rapture?

PS: Im only interested in sane convo. No insults pls. No ma has every knowledge. I may learn one or two things today cool cool
Re: Russian Scientists Aim At Making Human Beings Live Forever In The Next 10 Years by slam7000(m): 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2012
Human minds could be downloaded into robots within 10 years, allowing human beings to 'live forever', says the Russian entrepreneur who heads a hi-tech research project called 'Avatar'.Itskov, a media entrepreneur, claims to have[b] hired 100 scientists to reach this goal [/b] - and is now looking for other scientists to help with the project.'This project is leading down the road to immortality,' says Itskov. 'A person with a perfect Avatar will be able to remain part of society. People don’t want to die.' Sounds and reminds me of Chelsea boss Roman Abrahimovic, hiring loads of managers to win champions league, he has obviously got loads of russian rubles to burn and the right people to help him do that,they,ll be in the lab. for a millions yrs without result.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

More Than 100 Killed While Seeking Aid In Gaza, Overall Death Toll Passes 30,000 / African Union Demands 'immediate' Halt To Libya Attacks / Snowing In Johannesburg Right Now (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.