Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,708 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa (13967 Views)

Akpabio Refuses To Apologise To Goje In The Senate Over Comment / 2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs / Saraki, Dogara Won’t Apologise To Buhari, APC- PDP Lawmaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by yampoo(m): 1:25am On Mar 08, 2012
LAGOS— AN end to the raging diplomatic row between Nigeria and South Africa kick-started by the latter’s deportation of 125 Nigerians, including a serving senator over alleged possession of fake yellow fever vaccine certificates is not in sight.

Reason: South Africa is not ready to apologise for the dehumanising treatment and Nigeria is ready to reciprocate the ‘gesture’ with equal measure.

Feelers from both countries show that there will be more deportations on both sides as the South African government has refused to admit wrong doing and apologise as demanded by Nigeria government. A Foreign Affairs source said, “we are demanding unreserved apology from South Africa for this ill-treatment of Nigerian travelers or else, we will take more drastic actions.”

A highly placed Nigerian foreign affairs official confirmed yesterday that South Africa had persistently complained to the Nigerian government that most Nigerians coming to South Africa enter the country with fake documents but that Nigeria had not addressed the issue.

The deportation last Friday of 125 Nigerians from the Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johanesburg after denying them entry into the country for allegedly possessing fake yellow fever certificates was a good opportunity, according to South Africa, to let Nigeria know that they were serious about their complaint especially as a serving senator was involved.

Indeed, Vanguard learnt yesterday that Nigeria was not unaware that 125 Nigerians were to be deported. The source said Nigeria wanted South African Government to quarantine the deported Nigerians accused of possessing fake yellow vaccine certificates, give them the right vaccine and charge them the cost in dollars and then allow them enter South Africa. This was to save Nigeria diplomatic embarrassment as a serving senator was involved

It would be recalled that Nigeria retaliated on Tuesday by deporting 28 South Africans, who were denied entry into Lagos. The 28 passengers flew into the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos aboard a South African Airways flight at about 9.30 pm. A source said: “The Federal Government decided to deny these 28 South Africans entry because of invalid documents and relevant health certificate clearance. We are also deporting them back to South Africa. The Presidency has been notified of this action. We will no longer overlook certain procedures which we have condoned in the spirit of African brotherhood.”

Nigeria, Tuesday, deported 58 South Africans.Also, yesterday, another 37 South Africans were deported. They were said to have arrived the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja at 8.30 pm aboard a South African Airways.

According to Airport sources, immediately the aircraft arrived and all the passengers disembarked and were going through immigration formalities, the South Africans among them were fished out and made to stay together before being deported to their country.

Earlier yesterday, Nigeria had threatened to retaliate South Africa’s maltreatment of Nigerians. Interior Affairs Minister, Abba Moro who spoke to reporters at the Presidential Villa in Abuja said: “I want to assure you on one thing. The Federal Government has the capacity to reciprocate appropriately if it is found that the deportation of Nigerians was not done in good faith. At the moment, Nigeria maintains a very cordial diplomatic relations with South Africa and I can assure you that we will react appropriately if it is found that South Africa has taken unfriendly action against Nigeria.”

S/A envoy summoned

Also, on Tuesday, the Federal Government summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Kingsley Mambolo. When he got to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he was asked to see the Permanent Secretary, Ambassador Martin Uhomoibhi, instead of the Minister of Foreign Affairs to explain why South Africa maltreated Nigerian travelers, last Friday. According to sources, “when the South African High Commissioner got to the Ministry, the Permanent Secretary was directed to ask him to explain why 125 Nigerians were deported without diplomatic courtesy. He spent about an hour interacting with the Permanent Secretary, but Nigeria was not convinced about the explanation given by South Africa.

The House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, Tuesday, asked the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Olugbenga Ashiru, to appear before it to clarify Nigeria’s relationship with other African countries. The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on the Diaspora Affairs, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has asked the Federal Government to apply the principle of reciprocity in dealing with South Africa.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by kokoA(m): 1:30am On Mar 08, 2012
I wonder why we have not deported their ambassador already. We don't want no apology. Deport all the danm ugly looking south africans fron Naija.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by OAM4J: 1:35am On Mar 08, 2012
@OP

Please always add the source link to your posts. Thanks.

Source:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/we-wont-apologise-to-nigeria-says-s-africa/
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by OAM4J: 1:36am On Mar 08, 2012
This is really getting more interesting. Let's see who will blink first.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Beaf: 1:48am On Mar 08, 2012
Next to go should be MTN staff. Deport every last one of the SA people. angry
Lets see who has more to lose.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by yampoo(m): 1:49am On Mar 08, 2012
FG should re-call Nigeria Ambassador to SA nd also declare the SA Ambassador to Nigeria Persona Non Gratta. And issue 7 days eviction notice to all SA citizen nd companies in nigeria.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by dasparrow: 2:05am On Mar 08, 2012
Na wa o! This is becoming more interesting. I dey sit down dey look. I am anxious to see how this saga will end.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by koruji(m): 2:58am On Mar 08, 2012
As I said on another thread yesterday, this is the crux of the problem. SA is telling us that with Boko Haram running wild, and promising to set the their sights on SA & SA companines they are not joking with their security.

It is now appartent why the FG & NASS has being making so much noise for about two days now - just because a senator was involved. Ordinary Nigerians are deported from abroad each day for less justifiable reasons without these jokers batting an eyelid. If those 125 had not included a high ranking official we would not hear any of this noise.

A country that exists to serve its leaders is going to be nothing but a joke to the rest of the world. Truth! Take it or leave it.

The hyprocisy of the spoilt bourgeois stinks to high heavens. Their hand-maidens, by which I mean BEAF especially, were all over this forum a couple of months ago praising the government when the Nigerian police was arresting and turning back citizens from traveling without any incriminating evidence/material to Abuja. I can bet my salary that they are still doing the same thing till tomorrow - all in the name of security. Yet, we heard nothing from the FG & the NASS - even when such an act is not only unconstitutional, but completely immoral. This same sorry bodies are now all up in arms because another country, after adequate warning, decided to exercise its right to protect its international borders.

South Africa has a lot to worry about concerning events in Nigeria. Okar used SA as his base for gun-running, for which the Nigerian government threathened diplomatic war if he was not arrested promptly. Don't mind that a responsible government would have had such a person extradited to face swift justice at home. Now that BH is also threathening I don't blame SA for attempting to protect their citizens - the bottom line is that it is a matter of time before BH get on a Nigerian flight with fake papers.

I use to be the eternal optimist about Nigeria but this particular patient called Nigeria is flat-lining rapidly, and worse, those in charge have no clue about what to do.

A highly placed Nigerian foreign affairs official confirmed yesterday that South Africa had persistently complained to the Nigerian government that most Nigerians coming to South Africa enter the country with fake documents but that Nigeria had not addressed the issue.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by dayokanu(m): 3:37am On Mar 08, 2012
How many South Africans live in Nigeria vs Nigerians who live there
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by HighChief4(m): 3:45am On Mar 08, 2012
Even after the feud is resolved, every South African must tender HIV status card before allowed entry into Nigeria. These guys should be shipped back to their racist country
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Onlytruth(m): 4:11am On Mar 08, 2012
This whole thing is so funny and really shows how lowly the rulers of Nigeria have rendered her in the international community. Without doing much number crumching, I would guess that South Africa makes BILLIONS of clear dollars from Nigeria yearly, and they do so by providing SERVICES mainly: telecom for example.
Nigeria makes billions too from South Africa from supply of oil, our main foreign exchange earner. In other words, they make money almost from nothing tangible, while we make money by selling our life blood tangible goods to them.

I would guess that Nigeria can EASILY find another buyer for her oil in the world markets, but I doubt that South Africans can EASILY sell her services to another country the size of Nigeria's population; which for example is why their telecom company MTN makes more money from Nigeria than South Africa.
The amount of dollars remitted by Nigerians in South African can never amount to more than $100m yearly, while South Africans remit BILLIONs out of Nigeria yearly.

So if we replace them with other oil buyers, we are basically left with a few million dollars to show for our relationship with South Africa.
At times like this, I wish there are Nigerians with my type of "genius" to deal with the South Africans, who are arguably the most wicked Africans there are; the only country in Africa to conduct a quasi-pogrom against other Africans living in their country.

By the time Nigeria finishes with South Africa, not only would they lose Nigerian market and cooperation in Africa, we would effectively cage them diplomatically in West Africa, and move very close to their borders by "capturing" all their neigbhors and turn them against them.

My disappointment is that Nigeria will mess up this opportunity again; a rare opportunity to deal with these xenophobes once and for all.  sad
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by koruji(m): 5:46am On Mar 08, 2012
You are on to the real issue here. Our officials steal the resources, and go to South Africa to hide it out. They care about absolutely nothing that happens to the common man until their sorry bodies are concerned. They are incapable of running anything successfully.

The only reason you are hearing all these noise is because a senator of the "republic" was among the 125 that were deported.

Countries have being ignominiously deporting Nigerians for lesser reasons for ages, without any form of responsibility shown by our officials. Just a couple of weeks ago GEJ took a whole train load of people to go celebrate 100 years of ANC in SA. Many of our senators shamelessly got on planes to watch the world cup in SA. An event that should have been held with accolades in Nigeria. When Iran brought enough arms to prosecute a small war across our borders they made a lot of useless speeches, and nothing was ever heard about it again. Iran would have invaded the Nigeria embassy or US embassy for that matter, if it happened to them.

I recall when we called for Nigeria to disallow her citizens from being executed for whatever reasons abroad. David Mark had the audacity to say that any Nigerian caught in criminal acts abroad is on his own. However, as soon as Abdulmuttalab, a son of an inner circle of the Nigeria bourgeois commited the worst atrocity possible they did not hesitate to send lawyers. On the other side, the same David Mark once said that Nigeria takes no responsibilty for the issue of 419. What then is David Mark's job - to simply collect monthly payments?

Given the above, any gra-gra on this issue is just all that. Nigeria, sadly, lies prostrate in the hands of incompetent people. The damage done to this nation over 50 years is almost irreparable.

It is high time the country collapses on their heads. They can keep spitting in our faces when the time is good, and expect to use us as their mules when their chicken come home to roost. The individual parts of Nigeria can do better than this crappy setup - enough is enough.

I use to wish for Nigeria to teach these African countries that disrespect us a very good lesson. At this point, it is no consolation for me at all to make such wishes.

Onlytruth:

This whole thing is so funny and really shows how lowly the rulers of Nigeria have rendered her in the international community. Without doing much number crumching, I would guess that South Africa makes BILLIONS of clear dollars from Nigeria yearly, and they do so by providing SERVICES mainly: telecom for example.
Nigeria makes billions too from South Africa from supply of oil, our main foreign exchange earner. In other words, they make money almost from nothing tangible, while we make money by selling our life blood tangible goods to them.

I would guess that Nigeria can EASILY find another buyer for her oil in the world markets, but I doubt that South Africans can EASILY sell her services to another country the size of Nigeria's population; which for example is why their telecom company MTN makes more money from Nigeria than South Africa.
The amount of dollars remitted by Nigerians in South African can never amount to more than $100m yearly, while South Africans remit BILLIONs out of Nigeria yearly.

So if we replace them with other oil buyers, we are basically left with a few million dollars to show for our relationship with South Africa.
At times like this, I wish there are Nigerians with my type of "genius" to deal with the South Africans, who are arguably the most wicked Africans there are; the only country in Africa to conduct a quasi-pogrom against other Africans living in their country.

By the time Nigeria finishes with South Africa, not only would they lose Nigerian market and cooperation in Africa, we would effectively cage them diplomatically in West Africa, and move very close to their borders by "capturing" all their neigbhors and turn them against them.

My disappointment is that Nigeria will mess up this opportunity again; a rare opportunity to deal with these xenophobes once and for all.  sad
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Onlytruth(m): 6:08am On Mar 08, 2012
koruji:

You are on to the real issue here. Our officials steal the resources, and go to South Africa to hide it out. They care about absolutely nothing that happens to the common man until their sorry bodies are concerned. They are incapable of running anything successfully.

The only reason you are hearing all these noise is because a senator of the "republic" was among the 125 that were deported.

Countries have being ignominiously deporting Nigerians for lesser reasons for ages, without any form of responsibility shown by our officials. Just a couple of weeks ago GEJ took a whole train load of people to go celebrate 100 years of ANC in SA. Many of our senators shamelessly got on planes to watch the world cup in SA. An event that should have been held with accolades in Nigeria. When Iran brought enough arms to prosecute a small war across our borders they made a lot of useless speeches, and nothing was ever heard about it again. Iran would have invaded the Nigeria embassy or US embassy for that matter, if it happened to them.

I recall when we called for Nigeria to disallow her citizens from being executed for whatever reasons abroad. David Mark had the audacity to say that any Nigerian caught in criminal acts abroad is on his own. However, as soon as Abdulmuttalab, a son of an inner circle of the Nigeria bourgeois commited the worst atrocity possible they did not hesitate to send lawyers. On the other side, the same David Mark once said that Nigeria takes no responsibilty for the issue of 419. What then is David Mark's job - to simply collect monthly payments?

Given the above, any gra-gra on this issue is just all that. Nigeria, sadly, lies prostrate in the hands of incompetent people. The damage done to this nation over 50 years is almost irreparable.

It is high time the country collapses on their heads. They can keep spitting in our faces when the time is good, and expect to use us as their mules when their chicken come home to roost. The individual parts of Nigeria can do better than this crappy setup - enough is enough.

I use to wish for Nigeria to teach these African countries that disrespect us a very good lesson. At this point, it is no consolation for me at all to make such wishes.

One of the PRIMARY reasons why folks like myself constantly call for the disintegration of Nigeria is because the country seems incapable of ever finding herself.
The consequence of that is that Nigerians are SUFFERING in different parts of the world silently. We only got to know about this one because a senator was among them.
I know, for example, that a Biafran nation, though small, would be patriotic enough to go on a sustained showdown with any nation that crosses us.
Nigeria is bogus, unwieldly and obtuse.
I see Nigeria like a 5000 pound Buffalo.
I want a lion nation of 300 pounds, complete with CLAWS AND TEETH.  cool
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by okadaman2: 7:19am On Mar 08, 2012
The hyprocisy of the spoilt bourgeois stinks to high heavens. Their hand-maidens, by which I mean BEAF especially, were all over this forum a couple of months ago praising the government when the Nigerian police was arresting and turning back citizens from traveling without any incriminating evidence/material to Abuja. I can bet my salary that they are still doing the same thing till tomorrow - all in the name of security. Yet, we heard nothing from the FG & the NASS - even when such an act is not only unconstitutional, but completely immoral. This same sorry bodies are now all up in arms because another country, after adequate warning, decided to exercise its right to protect its international borders.

Very well put Koruji

We were all over this site screaming during the Libyan unrest, calling on the Nigerian Government to protect Nigerians from those murderers. But no they buried their heads in the sand for weeks if not months.

That Buffon called Gbenga Ashiru and his ilk went from outright denial to ridiculous excuses before issuing some lazy words. Still they kept killing and raping Nigerian migrants. He did nothing.

Anyway, I'm glad they are now acting, but how you treat your own people matter. Gani Fewehinmi said something like that before he died. You can't treat your people like dirt and expect others to respect or value them.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 08, 2012
ONLYTRUTH

Things dont really work out the way you pointed above.
We cant just sack MTN and other SA companies like that. Even if we nationalise them, a lot of Nigerians will still lose their job.

For now we go ahead with reciprocity measures. We deport southafricans for flimsy excuses and subject them to inhumane treatment here like quarantining them @ the airport.

What SA is doin is expected. @ the last AU summit, they were the only country going against all the propositions of Nigeria to the point that when Nigeria advised the return of incumbent Gabonese diplomat and politician Jean Ping South Africa said NO! We want our own candidate Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

Ofcourse they are a grown economy.They want to be the big brother of Africa like Nigeria is.

We need to review all our kind bi-lateral relationship with these African countries.
Even west african pals like Liberia, Togo, Sierra-leone stabbed us in the back @ the last united nations security council presidency seat by withdrawing their support and vote for Nigeria to win the Seat.
We dont blame them.
We are the ones who brought ourselves into this condition
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by dancewith: 8:50am On Mar 08, 2012
Nigeria should handle this with pro-activeness. There should be no time wasted in ordering all Nigerians in SA to return to Nigeria and deporting key south african people in Nigeria. They need to feel the brunt more. Once we can find out those in key appointments here and use some guise to deport them, then SA can do whatever they wish, knowing we are more than capable to reciprocate in worse measures. Deporting travellers is not going far enough. When you deport important personalities in key establishments then the message will be stronger. It is immaterial if they retaliate, we have very little to lose anyway. This is the best opportunity to assert our sovereignty to other countries and the right of Nigerians to move freely without let or hindrance
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Maisuya1: 9:04am On Mar 08, 2012
I hope our govt can use the leverage it has wisely. Yes there are more nigerians in SA than vice versa, but there are a lot of SA biz in Nigeria for SA to think twice b4 talking to Nigeria any how. The mtn subscriber base in Nigeria is almost equal to the entire SA population, More than half of standard banks (stanbic) profit is from it's Nigeria operations, including their lucrative and sometimes wuruwuru pension scheme. You can say the same of capital oil and multi choice show me anywhere in the world where multi choice has subscribers as large as in Nigeria?

So u see any biz in Nigeria is an instant hit, that's if you know your onions. The only major Nigerian investment in SA - apart from our banks mickey mouse operations in J'BOURG - is dangotes stake in some obscure SA cement company, and even that is expendable compared to his Nigerian operations.

SO SOUTH AFRICA TAKE TIME BEFORE NIGERIA COMES TO IT'S SENSES AND IMPOSE SANCTIONS ON YOUR BUSINESES (SA must go)
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by islamrules(m): 9:27am On Mar 08, 2012
I like south africa. They have laws and they respect their laws. Must u fake documents? Nigerians and madness.

If they continue this game of deportation, Nigeria is going to suffer more. Bcuz, south africa is like london to Nigerians. They die to get the visa. How many south africans are in Nigeria? How many of them want to come to Nigeria ?

Mscheeeeew

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by babaowo: 9:32am On Mar 08, 2012
@kuruji u said it all.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by merengue: 9:35am On Mar 08, 2012
So because Victor Ndoma Egba was among the buyers of yellow cards (fake or not), we should kill ourselves abi? Those of you calling for nationalization of SA companies are so funny. When the OBJ govt nationalized Barclays Bank (Union Bank) and British Petroleum (African Petroleum), what happened; these companies got sunk. So you want to replace MTN with who: Globacom (a one man company that has Lebanese as its most senior staff) or replace Multichoice with who; HITV (a rundown company that never had a clear plan of what it was doing). Truth is this issue is just a distraction from the failures of governance just like the anti-homosexuality bill was. They know myopic Nigerians will clap for them. Naija did Ghana Must Go, today Nigerians are paying thru their noses to do business in Ghana. When a nation treats its own people like dogs, why shouldn't another nation treat them like s***?
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 08, 2012
If MTN is hit, their president will apologise on their behalf. You'll see.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by 1025: 9:41am On Mar 08, 2012
Next to go should be MTN staff. Deport every last one of the SA people.
Lets see who has more to lose.

@Beaf,
i have always known u to have little or no thinking materials but i never expected to read such a cheap write up.
how many south africans have investments here? who among our so-called criminal rulers no get investments in south africa?
how many south african are here?
have u asked why nigerians are paying 100s of thounsands to get south african visas?
we are indirectly been colonized by south africa because the number of nigerians using mtn is uncountable and do u know how many nigerians that cannot watch dstv in a day.
have u seen how nigerians fight and struggle to pay dstv bills?
we are here making noise just because a senator was involved in this deportation of which that is how a country is supposed to be and the laws of the land must be supreme to all.
let nigerian govt if we have one do their worst and maybe God is about opening some hiden projects.
very soon, ghana will start deporting nigerians and benin republic will do same.
it is only when these nigerians scattered all over the world come back that we can come together and destroy what jonathan calls untouchable cabals including his own wife that stole US$13m belonging to Bayelsa state govt.
in my mind, i know these rulers will bring about their own destruction.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by jidewin(m): 9:42am On Mar 08, 2012
South Africa should apologise today for the illegal
deportation of 125 Nigerian passengers last
Friday at the Oliver Thambo International Airport
in Johannesburg or face tougher measures,
officials said last night.
Nigeria has given five conditions to be met by
South Africa to end the impasse sparked by the
incident.
They are:
•unconditional apology to Nigeria over the
deportation of 125 Nigerian travellers;
•compensation for all the victims of the cruelty;
•disciplinary action against all the officials
involved in the incident;
•a review of the Yellow Fever Vaccination Card
policy; and
•a commitment that such a diplomatic slip will
not reoccur
A Ministry of Foreign Affairs source, who pleaded
not to be named, said: “We are awaiting the
response of South Africa to our demands by
Thursday (today).
“Just wait till Thursday and you will be proud to
be a Nigerian from the steps we are going to
take.”
The row continued last night, with Nigeria
deporting 42 more South Africans, who flew into
Lagos aboard a South Africa Airways flight 060.
South Africa retaliated by turning back five
Nigerians, also last night. Two of the Nigerians
flew Arik Air . The others were on South African
Airways.
The Nation learnt that the African Union may
have intervened in the diplomatic row between
the two countries. Some leaders are said to be
pleading with President Goodluck Jonathan to
overlook the excesses of South African President
Jacob Zuma.
Another source said: “I think the AU has stepped
into the crisis, in view of the strategic roles of
Nigeria in Africa. The AU is worried because
Nigeria is the largest contributor to peace-keeping
operations in Africa.
“Some countries are pleading with President
Jonathan not to give President Zuma a chance to
divide the Union.
“They have also reminded Nigeria of its sacrifice
to make South Africa and other Frontline States
become independent nations.
“Consultations have been on with pressure on
Nigeria to play a big brother role.”
There is reprieve for South Africans entering
Nigeria aboard Arik Air. They are not affected by
the deportation.
Only South Africans coming into the country
through the South African Airways (SAA) are
being deported.
“In line with our new reciprocity policy, we also
decided to limit the deportation to only South
Africans coming into Nigeria through SAA.
“Any South African who arrives in Nigeria aboard
Arik Air will not be deported.”
Responding to a question, the source said: “We
will not stop the deportation until we reach the
125 limit deported last Friday by Immigration
officials in South Africa. It is an eye for an eye.
“Already, intelligence reports have indicated that
most South Africans, who came to Nigeria with
Business Visas, are in paid employment. We have
proof of falsified records.
“Those in this category will soon be deported
too.”
But a spokesman for South Africa’s home affairs
department Ronnie Mamoepa, said the decision to
deport the Nigerians stemmed purely from
concerns about health.
“It’s not an immigration issue, it’s a health
matter , Nobody without a yellow fever
certificate is allowed into the country and that’s
what this is.” He was quoted by Reuters.
At the Murtala Muhammed International Airport,
Ikeja, Lagos, airlines and immigration officials
were busy screening passengers bound ‘for South
Africa, with a view to ensuring that they possess
relevant valid documents to ensure they are not
denied entry at the Oliver Tambo Airport in
Johannesburg.
Some of the passengers intervened explained
that it was right for the Federal Government to
have retaliated on account of what they describe
as the unruly attitude of South African officials
both at the High Commission offices in Nigeria
and at the airport in Johannesburg.
One passenger who identified himself as Gregory
Wendi, explained that he has lived in South Africa
for some years, amid maltreatment by the
authorities.
The Port Health unit attached to the Murtala
Muhammed International Airport, was busy with
passengers regularising their Yellow Card.
www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/39110-nigeria-to-hit-adamant-south-africa-harder.html
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by kokoA(m): 9:42am On Mar 08, 2012
islamrules:

I like south africa. They have laws and they respect their laws. Must u fake documents? Nigerians and madness.
If they continue this game of deportation, Nigeria is going to suffer more. Bcuz, south africa is like london to Nigerians. They die to get the visa. How many south africans are in Nigeria? How many of them want to come to Nigeria ?

Mscheeeeew

That is a BIG FAT lie from the pit of hell! Speak for yourself! How can you say a country that have one of the hughest crime rate in the world is like "London" to Nigerians? Nigerians living in S.A have played a great role in the development of that country. These bunch of Lazy phukers are just being jealous of Nigerians because inspite of all the difficulties we face, our citizens still surpass them in terms of intellect and industriousness. No wonder thw white manr ruled over them for years and made them bloody slaves in their own country.

There is a defined punishment if you go against laws and South Africa did not apply that here. You can as well say using a sledge hanner to kill a mosquito makes more sense than jus crushing the tiny insect with you palms abi.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Damalex4luv(m): 9:43am On Mar 08, 2012
Send mtn and dstv away too.they are bunch of bastard.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by otokx(m): 9:43am On Mar 08, 2012
Can we sustain the momentum
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Onlytruth(m): 9:48am On Mar 08, 2012
breezy147:

ONLYTRUTH

Things dont really work out the way you pointed above.

We cant just sack MTN and other SA companies like that. Even if we nationalise them, a lot of Nigerians will still lose their job.

For now we go ahead with reciprocity measures. We deport southafricans for flimsy excuses and subject them to inhumane treatment here like quarantining them @ the airport.

What SA is doin is expected. @ the last AU summit, they were the only country going against all the propositions of Nigeria to the point that when Nigeria advised the return of incumbent Gabonese diplomat and politician Jean Ping South Africa said NO! We want our own candidate Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

Ofcourse they are a grown economy.They want to be the big brother of Africa like Nigeria is.

We need to review all our kind bi-lateral relationship with these African countries.
Even west african pals like Liberia, Togo, Sierra-leone stabbed us in the back @ the last united nations security council presidency seat by withdrawing their support and vote for Nigeria to win the Seat.
We dont blame them.
We are the ones who brought ourselves into this condition

I don't know what you are responding to, but definitely NOT to my comment above. Your comment of way off point.
I NEVER said that we should nationalize their companies. I only said that we are currently on the losing side (heavily) of this relationship.
An example of what we can do to squeez them would be to impose tough business conditions on their companies, thereby forcing them to SELL them. There are many buyers ready to buy MTN if they chose to leave. Nigerian workers won't lose their jobs if that happens.
My point is that if both countries decides to go the whole nine yards, SA would lose more than Nigeria. The only losers in Nigeria are the thieves who stashed our money and bought homes in South Africa.

Please try to read first before commenting. Thank you.  wink
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Bawss1(m): 9:49am On Mar 08, 2012
Damalex4luv:

Send mtn and dstv away too.they are bunch of bastard.

Make I no watch TV again  or make phone calls because some silly senator was embarrassed overseas? Big f-ing deal. Get real
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Coefficient(m): 9:51am On Mar 08, 2012
Yes, this is newsworthy cos it involves a serving senator, agreed. But then , Nigeria must exploit this opportunity to d fullest. Tit 4 tat, dats hw it shd be! And 4 dos who seem to 'support' SA in their arguments so to speak. Are u saying we shd apologise to SA
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by otokx(m): 9:54am On Mar 08, 2012
How many Nigerians are resident in South Africa and how many South Africans are resident in Nigeria. Let them continue deporting at a point it will be a one way movement.
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by Nayah(f): 9:54am On Mar 08, 2012
I truly believe that any increasing diplomatic crisis between two countries is not the solutions, they are supposed to be mature, respected and respectable authorities and should talk like civilised people, because none both Nigeria and SA will gain

As Africans, our culture is to share and being welcoming, these westerners habits we're taking is an insult to our true values
Re: We Won’t Apologise To Nigeria, Says S-africa by dmainboss: 9:55am On Mar 08, 2012
babaowo:

@kuruji u said it all.

merengue:

So because Victor Ndoma Egba was among the buyers of yellow cards (fake or not), we should kill ourselves abi? Those of you calling for nationalization of SA companies are so funny. When the OBJ govt nationalized Barclays Bank (Union Bank) and British Petroleum (African Petroleum), what happened; these companies got sunk. So you want to replace MTN with who: Globacom (a one man company that has Lebanese as its most senior staff) or replace Multichoice with who; HITV (a rundown company that never had a clear plan of what it was doing). Truth is this issue is just a distraction from the failures of governance just like the anti-homosexuality bill was. They know myopic Nigerians will clap for them. Naija did Ghana Must Go, today Nigerians are paying thru their noses to do business in Ghana. When a nation treats its own people like dogs, why shouldn't another nation treat them like s***?

islamrules:

Mscheeeeew

The reason Nigeria is so messed up is because we have too many traitors like Koruji. They claim they are speaking truth but are nothing but very disloyal folks. You never turn your back on family. That is one of the the first laws of life. People like these betray Nigeria all the time with their st.u.pid comments.  Nigeria made South Africa. We fougt for their freedom with our resources. Doesnt matter how bad we have become as a nation, we have held Africa together. That is a blatant fact. Wwe deserve more than respect from South Africa. In 2004, I was in cape town and MTN was a tiny little company there. Vodacom was the boss. Now MTN is bigger than Vodacom just because of Nigeria. Some talk like MTN is doing us a favour. Have we become so batter that we have redefined inferiority complex?

You guys coming here to justify SA actions should shut your mouths and go learn some loyalty. What have you ever done for your country other than to come to NL and criticize? When I arrived SA in 2004, I forgot my yellow card back in Lagos. They issued me a new yellow card right there at the airport for 50 dollars. Yellow fever vaccine cost next to nothing but they charged 50 dollars because I was a Nigerian. They didnt even require yellow cards from citizens of some other countries. Meanwhile Nigeria is officially a yellow fever free country. The last time a yellow fever case was recorded in Nigeria was in 1995. About 17 years ago.

The problem of Nigeria is not just our government but people like koruji with very low self esteem who will sell their brothers away for a pot of porridge. I have been to Joburg, Cape Town and Tswane(Pretoria). SA is a messed up place. Th only luck they have is that the white guys built their infrastructures before they handed over and the whites still control their business. There are slums in SA that you cant even imagine. There is a major one not too far from Joburg airport. The government had to build a fence around it to hide it from outside view. You dare not carry a camera in those kind of areas. Nigerians are killed daily like chicken in SA. I do not subscribe to people getting involved in criminal activities but that does not mean they should wiped out like chicken. Not all of them are criminals.

I rest my case

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Public Holiday For Monday. / Nnamdi Kanu: Court Takes Decision On Arrest Of Fani-kayode, Abaribe, Others / SDP Denies Endorsing Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.