Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row (5282 Views)

Buhari Hosts To A Reception Members Of The Diplomatic Corps In Statehouse - PICS / FG, India In Diplomatic Row Over Nigerian’s Death / Nigeria, S’africa Diplomatic Row: Senators Want S’african Companies Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by ijigbamigb(m): 4:08am On Mar 08, 2012
Despite the diplomatic row between Nigeria and South Africa, it was business as usual at the South High Commission in Lagos on Tuesday, reports Joke Kujenya

The weather was good but the atmosphere around the embassy was tense. Applicants discussed in hushed tones the deportation of Nigerians from South Africa, the country whose visa they were queuing up for.

“My friends persuaded me into joining the mad rush for business in South Africa. It wasn’t something I easily drifted into. Then, my wife joined my team of ‘persuaders’ and here I am to collect visa to visit South Africa for the first time in my life. All this started since last year,” said one of the applicants.

Scores of other visa hopefuls on a long queue at the South African Embassy at 24, Molade Okoya-Thomas Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria, on Tuesday, also had stories to tell about why they were seeking to leave the country.

The reporter was also on the queue to get the feel. Then, the man asked me: “have you taken your documents to the VFS Visa Application Centre at 25, Glover Road, Ikoyi, Lagos?”

“Not yet,” I replied. “Well, you have to,” he added, “You can only come here after you have dropped your documents with them and your visa fee and service charge already paid at the bank and then, the agency has to clear you for appointment.”

There were both women and men on the queue. Some kept to themselves, out of apprehension that they could be denied visa due to the ongoing face-off between the Nigerian and the South African authorities.

A Lagos lawyer, who would not give his name, recounts his experience: “I have been travelling to South Africa for good reasons for God knows how long. Yet, getting a Visa has never been a pleasant experience for me. Here they act as if each time you apply, you remain a stranger. Let me tell you about the snags of strict immigration policies meted out to applicants by the South African Embassy. Well, you could say all the embassies are guilty of this. The worst is that these security officials are fellow Nigerians.

“Here, human dignity means nothing to them. They have shown us time and again their deliberate attempt to violate immigration laws in relation to human rights. They even boast that it is within the jurisdiction of their rights as their nation’s consular to impose rules that are in sharp contrast to fulfilling the services promised to the citizens of their host nation.

“For instance, I got here since 8.30am. The South African embassy was supposed to have opened by 9am. By that time the crowd of applicants had converged at the entrance. The next thing you see in their arrogance is that, the door, on countless occasions that I have come here, will not be opened until 10.00am. Then you now see the two policemen with their rifles-in-hand ordering everyone to move further away from the door of the entrance. The applicants, some who did not sleep well in their houses for the night, start pushing to be the first to get in. “

Another applicant named Femi said: “This is my first time here. I normally use a guy we also call ‘Femi’. Well, you could call him a tout, but he has contacts at embassies. And no one can tell me any rubbish about not using these boys. He gets my visas, yellow fever cards and all that I need. I am here today because the boy is sick at home. He actually gave me another person to work with and the person asked me to come in person today. So, if I have been getting my visas, and I already have two yellow fever cards since I have been travelling, they cannot tell me that it is only Nigerians working with this cartel. That’s not possible.”

As this reporter took her leave, many were still waiting patiently, and with apprehension, to see if mother luck will smile on them.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/39103-a-day-at-the-south-african-embassy.html

OGA OOOOO
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
I wonder what will ever make me want to go to south africa, not me
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Akwasi(m): 2:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
I guess with the apology of SA, the row is over. Good luck to the guys
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Leemak: 2:40pm On Mar 08, 2012
This post reflects very poor state of Nigeria as a country. Lets blame our selfish leaders for all dis blemishes!
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by legendsilver(m): 2:43pm On Mar 08, 2012
thatz wat makes us naija, opotunity nr day pass us like that
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Baawaa(m): 3:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
If u hav buz in SA u wil surely go and que 4 visa
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
Even Isreali bombs raining all over lebanon could not stop Nigerians from staying there then talk of some threats of deportation and some silly diplomatic row
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by anonimi: 3:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
Leemak:

This post reflects very poor state of Nigeria as a country. Lets blame our selfish leaders for all dis blemishes!

what about the mugu citizens who keep these leaders:

- LG councillors & chairmen,
- state governors & legisLOOTERS
- president & federal legisLOOTERS
- other political jobbers

in power by their e-go-soon-be-my-turn attitude
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 08, 2012
Baawaa:

If u hav buz in SA u wil surely go and que 4 visa
True talk man.

anonimi:

what about the mugu citizens who keep these leaders:

- LG councillors & chairmen,
- state governors & legisLOOTERS
- president & federal legisLOOTERS
- other political jobbers

in power by their e-go-soon-be-my-turn attitude
abi o
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by beeke(m): 3:52pm On Mar 08, 2012
odiaero:

I wonder what will ever make me want to go to south africa, not me
My broda if you have ever dream of 24/7 Electricity and real 9ice undiluted fresh air believe me you will in no time rescind your decision. Imagine i have been here for the past 5yrs going to 6yrs i can count d few times my electricity went off and trust me is not up to seven times which within d period lasted only few hours. Nigerians and her wicked rulers are still sleeping
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by morpheus24: 3:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
@ poster

You for snap picture for embassy come show us na!
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
Cos the fire there is still better than the AC in Nigeria . . . Lol
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
morpheus24:

@ poster

You for snap picture for embassy come show us na!
Lol
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by DoRtMaKAvELi(m): 4:32pm On Mar 08, 2012
SA dePorteD 125 NigeRians over Wat? Could SomOne BreaK it dowN 4 me! Abeg? ??
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by searay(m): 5:05pm On Mar 08, 2012
Pay your way to SA, get deported(free trans to come back)
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by kizito96(m): 5:22pm On Mar 08, 2012
I really don't know what Nigerians are doing in South Africa
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by adconline(m): 8:00pm On Mar 08, 2012
My friend's wife travelled to RSA for delivery and was surprised to see their govt hospital is far better than any govt hospital in Naija. BTW, she paid nothing cos it's free,
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by eghost247(m): 8:17pm On Mar 08, 2012
hahahaha life goes on
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by dapz: 8:49pm On Mar 08, 2012
This is the fault of Jonathan and Sambo. Also it is the fault of Okonjo Iweala and Lamido Sanusi. It is also the fault of Obasanjo, and if not, it is the fault of Yaradua. But definitely, it's not my fault. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by tpia5: 8:51pm On Mar 08, 2012
why is that surprising @ topic.
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by dayokanu(m): 8:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
Na real wa
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Litmus: 11:27pm On Mar 08, 2012
kizito96 (m)

I really don't know what Nigerians are doing in South Africa

Maybe it's the, "Beento" mentality. South Africa is the bushman's Abroad.

pity.

You know, there was a time when the average Nigerian was imbued with such pride. We were brought up with the notion that what's "ours is ours"; i would rather sleep on my mat if for the sake of another mans Vono bed I'm liable to suffer insult. Our forefathers didn't invent the use of electricity, pass the kerosin lamp, i'm of to bed. We need that spirit again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by seunlayi(m): 3:01am On Mar 09, 2012
wetin concern them?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by Vavavoom(m): 11:35am On Mar 09, 2012
After all the chest-beating, bravado bleating and SA hating grin. Like some one said it is back to recharging MTN cards, paying DSTV bill, shopping at Shoprite and Stanbic IBTC pension update, it seems they've got our number cheesy
Re: Nigerians Still Que For South Africa's Visa Despite The Diplomatic Row by ginnyluv(f): 5:40am On Mar 10, 2012
guess most people believe every other place is better than Nigeria sad

(1) (Reply)

Jidenna-the Nigerian Born American Recording Artist / My Husband Is Too Fetish And Diabolic - Iara Oshiomhole / "We Want War, Our Head Has Been Killed"- Situation At Fasoranti’s House, Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.