Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ (8670 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Obama Calls For Gay Rights In Africa / Electing Buhari As President, Disaster For Africa – ex US Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Akwasi(m): 7:37am On Mar 09, 2012
President Barack Obama said Ghana serves as “a model for Africa” on issues ranging from democracy to foreign investment and food security and that business cooperation with Ghana is creating thousands of U.S. jobs.

“Ghana continues to be a good-news story,” Obama said after meeting at the White House with President John Evans Atta Mills of Ghana, West Africa’s second-largest economy.

Obama said there is a tendency to focus on the challenges in Africa and “it’s important for us to also focus on the good news that’s coming out of Africa.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-08/obama-calls-ghana-model-for-africa-in-democracy-security.html
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Gbawe: 9:11am On Mar 09, 2012
Indeed. The positive strides of the nation is especially amplified when inspected alongside the failure of some fellow West African nations to get the basics right. I personally rate Ghana highly as per efforts towards infrastructural development I see and appreciate with my own eyes.

An area Ghana must improve on is local participation and control. Ghanaians must become more involved in the commercial and economic activities, within Ghana, to deliver greater value to end users in the Country. There should be no place, with Ghanaian entrepreneurs active, for a store like Melcom which sells the poorest quality goods from China and bolsters the assertion that Africa is the world's dumping ground.

All in all, and considering the challenges, Ghana is certainly moving in the right direction.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nayah(f): 9:39am On Mar 09, 2012
Evolution is about mentality, progress and education, it seems Ghana has got
Do you that the Ghanaian governement is unpopular because Ghanaians think that Atta Mill should follow John Kufor's economic plan for developpment but apprently he doesn't, but it doesn't matter Ghanaian are still working hard for their country wihtout complaining all the time about their governement, and that's what I would like country like Nigeria get as well

I've seen so many threads about the "weak FG" and so on but we Africans what do we do for our country? Have we have to always wait for governements to build and work hard for countries? Yes some head of states are weak but the solution will not come because we're complaining or by heaven, we need to trust more in ourselves and in our respective lands
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by agiboma(f): 10:01am On Mar 09, 2012
They have road, they have light so yes they are a success story.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Ejine(m): 10:04am On Mar 09, 2012
Excellent! grin
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by ceejayluv(m): 10:05am On Mar 09, 2012
fact
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by BlackBaron: 10:10am On Mar 09, 2012
In before the Ghanaian haters grin
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 09, 2012
oil
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 09, 2012
[quote author=olas2u link=topic=889925.msg10362402#msg10362402 date=133128470
[quote][/quote]
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by lovejo(m): 10:26am On Mar 09, 2012
propaganda, Ghana is not 2nd largest economy in west africa.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Akwasi(m): 10:35am On Mar 09, 2012
lovejo:

propaganda, Ghana is not 2nd largest economy in africa.

The text said West Africa. I guess Nigeria has the biggest economy in the sub region
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 09, 2012
Akwasi:

President Barack Obama said Ghana serves as “a model for Africa” on issues ranging from democracy to foreign investment and food security and that business cooperation with Ghana is creating thousands of U.S. jobs.

“Ghana continues to be a good-news story,” Obama said after meeting at the White House with President John Evans Atta Mills of Ghana, West Africa’s second-largest economy.

Obama said there is a tendency to focus on the challenges in Africa and “it’s important for us to also focus on the good news that’s coming out of Africa.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-08/obama-calls-ghana-model-for-africa-in-democracy-security.html
Haba naaaaah this US self corrupt pass Naija shocked
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Akwasi(m): 10:44am On Mar 09, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed. The positive strides of the nation is especially amplified when inspected alongside the failure of some fellow West African nations to get the basics right. I personally rate Ghana highly as per efforts towards infrastructural development I see and appreciate with my own eyes.

An area Ghana must improve on is local participation and control. Ghanaians must become more involved in the commercial and economic activities, within Ghana, to deliver greater value to end users in the Country. There should be no place, with Ghanaian entrepreneurs active, for a store like Melcom which sells the poorest quality goods from China and bolsters the assertion that Africa is the world's dumping ground.

All in all, and considering the challenges, Ghana is certainly moving in the right direction.

@Gbawe, you have really matured over the years. I remember the immature early days when me and you got to argue unnecessarily about things. I have been following your analysis of late and must admit you are slowly getting there. Keep it up and be sure I will be behind you all the way to ensure that you become the best.

Good work
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by ifedun2: 10:44am On Mar 09, 2012
Na true talk nah.Abi una wan begin argue say na Naija?Our successive leaders don take us back many years through greed and corruption.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by crackhouse(m): 10:49am On Mar 09, 2012
Ghana is really a place to be. I was surprised when i discovered that the Ghana's currency is now more than our Nigeria currency. Can u believe that 1 cedis is more than 100naira when converted?. I could remember when we were driving Ghananians out of Nigeria, now they are the people that will be driving us out. That's a big SHAME.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Jemibee: 11:03am On Mar 09, 2012
This man NO LIE ooo !!
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by gentotega: 11:05am On Mar 09, 2012
@crackhouse, d cedi is not higher dan the naira, d cedis is rather losing its value,  d cedi was re-denominated
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by arrived(m): 11:09am On Mar 09, 2012
That country is growing rapidly!
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nonybb: 11:13am On Mar 09, 2012
agiboma:

They have road, they have light so yes they are a success story.
agiboma its high time u shut the Bleep up and go bck to canada. As ppl had rightly said, nobdy begged u to marry naija guy. U've been such a disgrace since u came into this country acting like a very big energy. It pains me to see a foreigner married to a nigerian criticizes us more than ppl outside. U knw hw we passionately abhore the cruelty and insensitivity of this govt and so pls dnt make it any more harder than we could possibly get coz your type often make it possible for ppl like us to regret even being a nigerian in the first place. PLS STP IT NOW OR U COULD AS WELL RISK DEPORTATION, U KNW HOW WE DO IT. *SA A CASE STUDY*,
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by KnowAll(m): 11:17am On Mar 09, 2012
Ghana has overtaking Cote de Voire, as second largest economy in W.A.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by denitro(m): 11:19am On Mar 09, 2012
crackhouse:

I was surprised when i discovered that the Ghana's currency is now more than our Nigeria currency. Can u believe that 1 cedis is more than 100naira when converted?.

Why are you misinforming Nigerians,

86 Naira converted to 1 Ghana cedi
The government just removed 4 zeros from their currency value,
meaning
before
10,000 Ghana cedis = 86 Naira
After re denomination
1 Ghana cedi = 86 Naira
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:19am On Mar 09, 2012
Nayah:

Evolution is about mentality, progress and education, it seems Ghana has got
Do you that the Ghanaian governement is unpopular because Ghanaians think that Atta Mill should follow John Kufor's economic plan for developpment but apprently he doesn't, but it doesn't matter Ghanaian are still working hard for their country wihtout complaining all the time about their governement, and that's what I would like country like Nigeria get as well

I've seen so many threads about the "weak FG" and so on  but we Africans what do we do for our country? Have we have to always wait for governements to build and work hard for countries? Yes some head of states are weak but the solution will not come because we're complaining or by heaven, we need to trust more in ourselves and in our respective lands

Let me see - My street has not been serve Electricity for the past 1 month. I can confidently say that in that period hundred thousands of Naira had been spent on diesel and petrol for generators. in the end each flat contributed N1,000 to buy a PHCN Transformer from PHCN - You see why we always complain about our weak and incompetent government   is that not been budgeted for? do we not pay our bills, is it not their responsibility to provide transformers?

A Major road is in need of repairs and the residents of the area have suffered immeasurable loss of time, money to car repairs. a few corporate organizations and individuals offered to perform minimal repair-work on the road to alleviate the problems they were faced with =- guess what. the Local Government Council prefers that the funds be paid into their account so they can undertake the repair work professionally  shocked the road has gone worse since late 2010. I have lost one car on this road during the rains and still yet, we await Government intervention, having failed to do it ourselves  

Why should people not blame their government
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by publisher(m): 11:20am On Mar 09, 2012
A man living in a small one room hut installs one light bulb,his house now well lit and visitors applaud his progress. Another man lives in a huge mansion with over 100 bulbs, but the bulbs are inadequate and many rooms are left in darkness. Visitors condem and say he has failed.
The visitors are wrong and right at the same time.
It's still kinda weird when residents of 'the huge mansion' use the progress made by the little hut dweller to castigate themselves. They too are wrong and right at the same time.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by blacksta(m): 11:21am On Mar 09, 2012
Ghana a really matured environment for business.  One example - Vodafone one the largest well run telecomunication company in the world runs the Ghana telecomunication, same company tried to bid for Nitel but corruption will not allow.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by badmrkt(m): 11:25am On Mar 09, 2012
okay no big deal,but they remain our boys until further notice.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Arosa(m): 11:31am On Mar 09, 2012
publisher:

A man living in a small one room hut installs one light bulb,his house now well lit and visitors applaud his progress. Another man lives in a huge mansion with over 100 bulbs, but the bulbs are inadequate and many rooms are left in darkness. Visitors condem and say he has failed.
The visitors are wrong and right at the same time.
It's still kinda weird when residents of 'the huge mansion' use the progress made by the little hut dweller to castigate themselves. They too are wrong and right at the same time.

That is a perfect analogy.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2012
The only reason Ghana is surpassing Nigeria at present is b'cos they have a live and let live attitude amongst all the ethnic groups, with no particular ethnic group having a born-to-rule mindset. Also, they didn't discover Oil too early in their evolution as a Nation (and Ghana IS a proper Nation, with all constituent groups happy to be part of it, and having the belief of being EQUAL partners in the union), hence they've not grown to be lazy and dependent on just one source of income.

There are no untouchables in that country, and nobody believes that they own the country to the extent of being King-makers, and when things don't go their way, then they're prepared (and more importantly, have the capacity) to make the country ungovernable for the Gov't of the day.

Also, they don't have a section of the country that is so backward and dragging the rest of the country to move at their pace; there is no Quota-system where unqualified/untested individuals take responsibility for the running of critical national institutions and bodies, just so their state/ethnic group is represented at the centre.

In Ghana, there's healthy competition (maybe up to a point, as we see how they can frustrate Nigerian businesses and individuals) between investors and businesses, with no one advantaged/disadvantaged because of their ethnicity.

There is no boko haram scaring off investors, and tourists (me included) feel at home and safe there.

Make we stay there dey claim Giant of West Africa. If things remain the way they are in the next 10 years, Ghana will surpass us in ALL Indices.

Nonsense!!! angry angry angry
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by omo9ja1(m): 11:38am On Mar 09, 2012
well said

but I guess that transformation will happen in Nigeria some day smiley
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nayah(f): 11:43am On Mar 09, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

Let me see - My street has not been serve Electricity for the past 1 month. I can confidently say that in that period hundred thousands of Naira had been spent on diesel and petrol for generators. in the end each flat contributed N1,000 to buy a PHCN Transformer from PHCN - You see why we always complain about our weak and incompetent government   is that not been budgeted for? do we not pay our bills, is it not their responsibility to provide transformers?

A Major road is in need of repairs and the residents of the area have suffered immeasurable loss of time, money to car repairs. a few corporate organizations and individuals offered to perform minimal repair-work on the road to alleviate the problems they were faced with =- guess what. the Local Government Council prefers that the funds be paid into their account so they can undertake the repair work professionally  shocked the road has gone worse since late 2010. I have lost one car on this road during the rains and still yet, we await Government intervention, having failed to do it ourselves  

Why should people not blame their government

And let me see in my turn when people drag all the dirty water or wastes outside where people are living this is the FG? Gooluck has to tell you that we have to be clean in order to avoid some disease like the cholera? I'm sorry brother but sometimes we need to face reality, individual civism and education is also a big problem in Africa, I'm not saying our gvt are competitive or efficient but I insist we ALL failed when it comes to developpement because mentality is the core of the problem, you can have all the wealth in the World but if you don't know how to manage, and if you're not mentally strong, you'll never succeed sorry but it's a fact
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Litmus: 12:04pm On Mar 09, 2012
The average Nigerian would read this and feel proud that an African country has been given praise. This is the Nigerian mentality. We are a straightforward people. Only an idiotic African would wish another African country ill given the history of Africa and its portrayal and low expectations internationally. Look at the strides made by Asia and now Latin America. I wouldn't live in South Africa if you paid me but as a Nigerian I'm proud of the things they achieve. I feel that their success is Africa's success. Now, were i disagree with Obama is when he calls Ghana a model for Africa. Perhaps he, Obama, means, Ghana, in context of stability. But for me - albeit based on my limited personal sphere of experience of the people- Ghanians reveal themselves to be a sneaky, jealous people - certainly not a model for young ones. No one can convince me otherwise, but the majority of posters on this board, who use profane language against women,  swear at people's fathers and mothers,  cuss and wish people dead, and say the most negative things about Nigeria, post horrific images from all over Africa on here and claim its from Nigeria , are Ghanians. Sorry but the people are unsavory.

Anyway, lets pray that their nation and other African nations continues to progress and that they grow enlightened in their spirits.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Mobinga: 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
And the hate has already started pouring in. . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"My Govt. Can't Solve The Nigeria Problem Of 16 Years In Just 4 Years"-buhari / Bauchi To Build 140MW Power Plant / “you May Not Survive This” – Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (another Revelation)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.