Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,019 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ (8672 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Obama Calls For Gay Rights In Africa / Electing Buhari As President, Disaster For Africa – ex US Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by oiseworld: 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
@ publisher,
thanks for giving us hope. Democracy is still new in nigeria and with time we would get it right.

The military took us far, far, far back in mental development.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by LongOne1(m): 12:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
Oh well, the way things are going, they might overtake Nigeria as the so-called ‘Giant of Africa’.

My question is ‘who will in time rule the African kingdom’? With Nigeria and South Africa acting like children over who deports who faster, and Ghana playing the role of the underdog (silently developing in the background) I think I support Ghana.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by uzoexcel(m): 12:30pm On Mar 09, 2012
Akwasi:

@Gbawe, you have really matured over the years. I remember the immature early days when me and you got to argue unnecessarily about things. I have been following your analysis of late and must admit you are slowly getting there. Keep it up and be sure I will be behind you all the way to ensure that you become the best.

Good work
tongue in cheek tinz undecided
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Vavavoom(m): 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
, they surely are not repeating our mistakes. Sign of a people willing to learn and take the lead.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by emron1(m): 12:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
if there is one thing that i will comend ghana for it is their democracy it is by far the most transparent country in sub saharan africa
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by mekaboy(m): 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2012
[b] I AM HAPPY WITH THE GOOD NEWS FROM GHANA AND DEVELOPMENT, BUT IT WILL  BE WRONG FOR NIGERIANS TO START COMPARING GHANA TO NIGERIA.

IT IS EASIER FOR GHANA TO HANDLE THEIR ISSUES BECAUSE OF THEIR SIZE.

MY POINTS.

ELECTRICITY :- IF NIGERIA WAS THE SAME SIZE WITH GHANA, WITH THE ELECTRICITY WE GENERATE, I DON'T THINK OUR LIGHT WILL EVER BLINK , THE ELECTRICITY THAT THE WHOLE OF LAGOS CONSUMES IN A DAY, I DONT THINK THE WHOLE GHANA WILL CONSUME IT IN A MONTH.

SECURITY :- WHAT IS THE POPULATION OF GHANA? ABOUT 20MILLION PEOPLE, ASSUMING 10% OF THE POPULATION WERE  SECURITY AGENCIES THERE WILL BE 2MILLION SECURITY PERSONS. NIGERIA IS OVER 150MILLION PEOPLE, IF WE HAVE 10% IN SECURITY AGENCIES THAT WILL BE 15M , WHICH MEANS OUR SECURITY PERSONS ARE MORE THAN HALF GHANA POPULATION AS A COUNTRY.

WHEN THEY MEASURE GHANA'S PROGRESS, THEY ARE SIMPLY SAYING THAT "GHANA IS DOING WELL AT THEIR SIZE" .

WHEN NIGERIA IS MEASURED IT IS MEASURED AT ITS SIZE , AND MORE IS EXPECTED FROM NIGERIA BASED ON OUR POPULATION .

DESPITE THE INSECURITY LEVEL IN NIGERIA, ANY FOREIGN INVESTOR THAT WANTS TO MAKE PROFIT WILL CONSIDER NIGERIA FIRST WHY ?

SELLING A PRODUCT FOR 100 NAIRA TO 20MILLION PEOPLE AND SELLING FOR 50NAIRA TO 150MILLION PEOPLE, WHICH IS MORE PROFITABLE?

GHANA IS DOING WELL AT THEIR SIZE, CONSIDER THEIR POPULATION WHEN COMPARING .

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO JUMP TO SAY "GHANA HAS STEADY ELECTRICITY AND NIGERIA DOES NOT" HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE SIZE OF BOTH COUNTRIES ? EVEN WITH THE 20MILLION POPULATION OF GHANA , THEY STILL EXPERIENCE POWER FAILURE . HOW MUCH MORE NIGERIA?

IF PHCN DECIDES THAT ALL THE ELECTRICITY GENERATED IN THIS COUNTRY WILL BE CHANNELED TO ONE STATE IN NIGERIA , DO YOU THINK THE LIGHT WILL EVER GO OFF FOR A DAY?

SO LOOK AT IT FROM THIS VEIW.

IF GHANA IS 10% CORRUPT THEN NIGERIA WILL BE MORE THAN 10 TIMES CORRUPT.

IF THERE ARE 20MILL CARS IN GHANA, THEN THERE WILL BE 150MIL CARS IN NIGERIA.

IF 10PEOPLE ARE UN EMPLOYED IN GHANA, THERE WILL BE 100 UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE IN NIGERIA.

IF THERE ARE 10 ACCIDENTS IN GHANA A YEAR, THERE WILL BE 100 ACCIDENTS IN NIGERIA A YEAR.

IF THERE ARE 10 COMPANIES IN GHANA THERE WILL BE 100 COMPANIES IN NIGERIA.

SO AS YOU COMPARE THE GOOD COMPARE THE BAD.

NO NEED FOR COMPARING BOTH COUNTRIES, ITS BASELESS . GHANA IS DOING WELL IN THEIR SIZE, NIGERIA IS DOING WELL FOR ITS SIZE BUT COULD DO MORE IF NOT FOR CORRUPTION .[/b]
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Akwasi(m): 1:44pm On Mar 09, 2012
mekaboy:

[b] I AM HAPPY WITH THE GOOD NEWS FROM GHANA AND DEVELOPMENT, BUT IT WILL  BE WRONG FOR NIGERIANS TO START COMPARING GHANA TO NIGERIA.

MY POINTS.

ELECTRICITY :- IF NIGERIA WAS THE SAME SIZE WITH GHANA, WITH THE ELECTRICITY WE GENERATE, I DON'T THINK OUR LIGHT WILL EVER BLINK , THE ELECTRICITY THAT THE WHOLE OF LAGOS CONSUMES IN A DAY, I DONT THINK THE WHOLE GHANA WILL CONSUME IT IN A MONTH.

SECURITY :- WHAT IS THE POPULATION OF GHANA? ABOUT 20MILLION PEOPLE, ASSUMING 10% OF THE POPULATION WERE  SECURITY AGENCIES THERE WILL BE 2MILLION SECURITY PERSONS. NIGERIA IS OVER 150MILLION PEOPLE, IF WE HAVE 10% IN SECURITY AGENCIES THAT WILL BE 15M , WHICH MEANS OUR SECURITY PERSONS ARE MORE THAN HALF GHANA POPULATION AS A COUNTRY.

WHEN THEY MEASURE GHANA'S PROGRESS, THEY ARE SIMPLY SAYING THAT "GHANA IS DOING WELL AT THEIR SIZE" .

WHEN NIGERIA IS MEASURED IT IS MEASURED AT ITS SIZE , AND MORE IS EXPECTED FROM NIGERIA BASED ON OUR POPULATION .

DESPITE THE INSECURITY LEVEL IN NIGERIA, ANY FOREIGN INVESTOR THAT WANTS TO MAKE PROFIT WILL CONSIDER NIGERIA FIRST WHY ?

SELLING A PRODUCT FOR 100 NAIRA TO 20MILLION PEOPLE AND SELLING FOR 50NAIRA TO 150MILLION PEOPLE, WHICH IS MORE PROFITABLE?

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO JUMP TO SAY "GHANA HAS STEADY ELECTRICITY AND NIGERIA DOES NOT" HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE SIZE OF BOTH COUNTRIES ? EVEN WITH THE 20MILLION POPULATION OF GHANA , THEY STILL EXPERIENCE POWER FAILURE . HOW MUCH MORE NIGERIA?

IF PHCN DECIDES THAT ALL THE ELECTRICITY GENERATED IN THIS COUNTRY WILL BE CHANNELED TO ONE STATE IN NIGERIA , DO YOU THINK THE LIGHT WILL EVER GO OFF FOR A DAY?

IF 10PEOPLE ARE UN EMPLOYED IN GHANA, THERE WILL BE 100 UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE IN NIGERIA.

IF THERE ARE 10 ACCIDENTS IN GHANA A YEAR, THERE WILL BE 100 ACCIDENTS IN NIGERIA A YEAR.

NO NEED FOR COMPARING BOTH COUNTRIES, ITS BASELESS . GHANA IS DOING WELL IN THEIR SIZE, NIGERIA IS DOING WELL FOR ITS SIZE BUT COULD DO MORE IF NOT FOR CORRUPTION .[/b]

Well put
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Yeske2(m): 2:03pm On Mar 09, 2012
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by manchy7531: 2:17pm On Mar 09, 2012
i hope the Ghanaians are not over excited by this OO's comment cos i will just take it as them been of low self-esteem cos it shows they don't believe in themselves unless they are been praised dubiously by those who want to exploit them because of their newly found oil.

Good for them anyway, but they have to be careful cos so far you are a loyal fool, the west will always praise you even if you are suffering they will tell you, you are enjoying. with all their agents rolling out dubious statistics that don't conform with the realities on ground.

From IMF figures to WORLD BANKS to FORBES to TIMES. Am sure they know what they are doing.also in the nearest future i see ghana becoming one of the most corrupt nations in the world cos we all know how Oil has become a curse on black man and it also fuels corruption with the infiltration of the imperialist multinational companies who will bribe their way to get what they want thereby destroying the Ghanaian political value system.

by the way they should always know that Naija is still their big brother and we will always be ready to be by their side when they need us and they must not make oil give them unnecessary ego unless we will crush it.always respect the giant of black race.

Oh well, the way things are going, they might overtake Nigeria as the so-called ‘Giant of Africa’.

My question is ‘who will in time rule the African kingdom’? With Nigeria and South Africa acting like children over who deports who faster, and Ghana playing the role of the underdog (silently developing in the background) I think I support Ghana.

even if Nigeria and south Africa remains stagnant for the next 30yrs,Ghana's economy will never surpass that of Nigeria especially cos they don't even have the market.they will reach their elastic limit before then.

secondly Ghana has steady light with 1,600mw being generated for both industrial and domestic needs i agree.but don't forget why Nigeria at present generates 4500-5000mw, Lagos alone need 15000mw for electricity to power it.that means Lagos economy at full capacity utilization is bigger than that of the whole of Ghana and i don't need any miseducation here.Ivory coast still remain west Africa's second largest economy.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155705:ghana-records-third-power-failure-in-3-months&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by LEXYLOV: 2:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
yes
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by KnowAll(m): 2:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
but I guess that transformation will happen in Nigeria some day

[size=16pt]that someday is like " tommorrow" they say "tommorrow" never comes. "When you go do this job for me now", 'tommorrow' the next day u ask the guy again when you go do the job now, the guy says 'tommorrow', we would never see "some day" at this rate. It seems we have become experts at re-inventing one malice or the other. If it is not 'MEND' going Gaga, BH would be doing their own, and if not BH, MASSOB go start their own katakata, 'tommorrow would never come' for Naija, the earlier we know it the better.

Nigeria would remain a failed nation, if the blood of those corrupt men and women who live in Nigeria have not been spilled. Rawlings have done a good job in Ghana. Nigerians need to be culled.  

did one idiooot not put 88 billion Naira in his personal account to generate income for his greedy and gluttonic self, other peoples pension, and we say we have a nation. Such people should tied to a stick and shot for all I care, shiooor[/size],  cool

I beg if I see chance chop, meself I go chop oh, but this bros own wey carry 88 billion go put for im account too much now, haba lipsrsealed
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by kizito96(m): 2:44pm On Mar 09, 2012
Who cares, what has Obama done for Kenya since he became president.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nayah(f): 3:10pm On Mar 09, 2012
manchy7531:

i[b] hope the Ghanaians are not over excited by this OO's comment cos i will just take it as them been of low self-esteem cos it shows they don't believe in themselves unless they are been praised dubiously by those who want to exploit them because of their newly found oil[/b].

Good for them anyway, but they have to be careful cos so far you are a loyal fool, the west will always praise you even if you are suffering they will tell you, you are enjoying. with all their agents rolling out dubious statistics that don't conform with the realities on ground.

From IMF figures to WORLD BANKS to FORBES to TIMES. Am sure they know what they are doing.also in the nearest future i see ghana becoming one of the most corrupt nations in the world cos we all know how Oil has become a curse on black man and it also fuels corruption with the infiltration of the imperialist multinational companies who will bribe their way to get what they want thereby destroying the Ghanaian political value system.

Don't you think it could be better to encourage them and pray for them they continue in this way, you know someone can read this and think that this is you who have a complex, we Africans have alwyas the need to compare or putting the others down to be on top, I'm not a Ghanaian but I'm proud of them hope many Africans will follow the same way

?now about westernes you're right because the democracy hey want us to follow dones not fit with our societies realtiy

by the way they should always know that Naija is still their big brother and we will always be ready to be by their side when they need us and they must not make oil give them unnecessary ego unless we will crush it.always respect the giant of black race.

even if Nigeria and south Africa remains stagnant for the next 30yrs,Ghana's economy will never surpass that of Nigeria especially cos they don't even have the market.they will reach their elastic limit before then.

secondly Ghana has steady light with 1,600mw being generated for both industrial and domestic needs i agree.but don't forget why Nigeria at present generates 4500-5000mw, Lagos alone need 15000mw for electricity to power it.that means Lagos economy at full capacity utilization is bigger than that of the whole of Ghana and i don't need any miseducation here.Ivory coast still remain west Africa's second largest economy.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155705:ghana-records-third-power-failure-in-3-months&catid=1:news&Itemid=2

Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nayah(f): 3:11pm On Mar 09, 2012
@ Manchy don't you think it could be better to encourage them and pray for them they continue in this way, you know someone can read this and think that this is you who have a complex, we Africans have alwyas the need to compare or putting the others down to be on top, I'm not a Ghanaian but I'm proud of them hope many Africans will follow the same way

Now about westernes you're right because the democracy hey want us to follow dones not fit with our societies realtiy
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 09, 2012
Go preach your tiny success somewhere else, because, I can see this going to degenerate into fights at the end.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by dabrake(m): 3:31pm On Mar 09, 2012
obama is only interested in their newly found oil and their gold. i laff in ibibio
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 09, 2012
And we are proud of their progress.

If a small nation like that of 20million people just about the population of lagos state alone cannot get it right then then they deserve to be scolded.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 09, 2012
breezy147:

And we are proud of their progress.

If a small nation like that of 20million people just about the population of lagos state alone cannot get it right then then they deserve to be scolded.
No they don't deserve to be scolded. We have our own problems to solve and they are not in the position to tell us how to do that.They should preach that to their people.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by noiseless: 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2012
And this was as result of one courageous man MR JERRY RAWLINGS, other ghanaians didn't foolishly see it as "IGBO COUP D'ETTAT" and go on massacring their fellow inncocent country men. One giant mass grave that's what NIGGA+AREA is unfortunately.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nayah(f): 4:18pm On Mar 09, 2012
noiseless:

And this was as result of one courageous man MR JERRY RAWLINGS, other ghanaians didn't foolishly see it as "IGBO COUP D'ETTAT" and go on massacring their fellow inncocent country men. One giant mass grave that's what NIGGA+AREA is unfortunately.
Exactly! and he was labelled as a "dictator" before, that's why I've always said that "democracy" as these westerners' way is an a absolute solution! I prefer 30 years of Rawlings that 10 years of WADE
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by EzeUche(m): 4:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
When people say Ghana is a small nation, this is one of the main reasons why I support that Nigeria be split.

I rather have a small car that works, than a large car that doesn't.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Bennyboy11: 4:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
mekaboy:

MY POINTS.

I completely disagree with population and size always being used as an excuse for failure. Yes population counts but progress can be assessed in a context that takes population into account.

America is a huge country and much richer than most countries but progress in countries like the UK and Germany can still be compared to America in spite of size.

Having to produce electricity for instance for the whole Nigeria is more of a daunting task than producing electricity for a relatively small Ghana, but the flip side is there is a lot more revenue for instance to be generated from producing electricity for 120 million people and therefore more to re invest in electricity.

If there are 150 million cars as opposed to 20 million cars like you say then it means there are a lot more roads to construct, but again the flip side is you have 130 million more cars to charge road tax for instance which should help ease the burden.

The last time I checked Nigeria was 7 or 8 time bigger than Ghana, Ghana produces and consumes 6.06 billion KWH of electricity, whiles Nigeria consumes 18.14 billion KWH only 3 times more. My interpretation is that if Ghana had the same resources as Nigeria they would produce 42 billion kwh, or if we were like Nigeria we would produce only 2.5 billion kwh, it’s as simple as that.  

In short there are bigger challenges associated with governing bigger nations but bigger challenges come with bigger opportunities.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Pukkah: 4:35pm On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^

Succint!

People should not take solace in size or population for failure.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by iKoksi(m): 4:36pm On Mar 09, 2012
mekaboy:

MY POINTS.

well said.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by LongOne1(m): 5:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
manchy7531:

Nice one, but employing a similar strategy used by Japanese motorbike manufacturers, they could easily takeover the market.

The Japanese, after World War 2 took ideas and products that were developed elsewhere, retained the best elements and improved on the rest (Modelling). Then, they flooded the western markets with cheaper and more reliable products, purposely to kill the local competition. Bottom-line, countries like China that were inspired to do the same, are now classed as emerging markets because of the success.

manchy7531:

Another valid point, but don’t forget they could subcontract some of their operations to Make or Buy. Companies like Apple design their products in the US and do the actual Manufacturing in China. When you study the supply chain of the big Multinational corporations/conglomerates in the world, you realise their networks are nothing short of overwhelming.

While, at face value your comments seem justifiable, you should never underestimate the ‘little guy’ i.e. David and Goliath; David Haye and Nikolay Valuev; and the British Empire (243,610 square kilometres) took over almost one-quarter of the Earth’s total land area – size does not always matter.
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Zucker(m): 5:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nayah:

@ Manchy don't you think it could be better to encourage them and pray for them they continue in this way, you know someone can read this and think that this is you who have a complex, we Africans have alwyas the need to compare or putting the others down to be on top, I'm not a Ghanaian but I'm proud of them hope many Africans will follow the same way

Now about westernes you're right because the democracy hey want us to follow dones not fit with our societies realtiy

Nayah, I love you!

A little more fact checking could really help the quality of this thread. Here is a link to help the lazy inform themselves a little bit more on the topic of Ghana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 09, 2012
Please, toss that information about Ghana in the trash can!
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by sunkoye: 5:56pm On Mar 09, 2012
if not for the oloshi(s) we would have by now a super power in all sectors. now, the new tax dude in town made bankole's scandal look like a child's play. any simple reason why Ghana wont comes first  . recently almost half of Ghana kitchen cabinet resigned willfully because of an issue that would have been called a family affairs in Nigeria. see, the way things are moving here Benin republic will soon start deporting us. oloriburuku gbogbo angry
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by mekaboy(m): 6:17pm On Mar 09, 2012
NO NEED FOR BASELESS COMPARISON , WE ARE ALL AFRICANS AND SHOULD WORK TOGETHER AND ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER. GHANA IS DOING WELL AND NIGERIA IS DOING WELL TOO, BUT WE CAN ALL DO MORE.

BUT TRUST THE WESTERN WORLD, THEY ONLY PRAISE PEOPLE WHO ARE LOYAL TO THEM, AS LONG AS YOU :

TAKE MORE LOANS

PUT THEM IN CHARGE OF YOUR OIL

ALLOW THEM TO DUMP THEIR TOKUMBO USED STUFF IN YOUR COUNTRY THEN YOUR ECONOMY IS BOOMING grin grin grin

AND GHANA HAS DISCOVERED OIL, BUT DONT HAVE THE FUNDS TO EXTRACT AND REFINE THE OIL, GUESS WHAT? A FOREIGN FIRM PROVIDED THE FUNDS AND TECHNOLOGY TO DO THAT. AND YOU KNOW ITS NOT FREE .

UNTIL THE FIGURES GENERATED STARTS TO PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE OF THE COMMON MAN, ALL IS POLITICS .
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Nayah(f): 6:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
Zucker:

Nayah, I love you!

A little more fact checking could really help the quality of this thread. Here is a link to help the lazy inform themselves a little bit more on the topic of Ghana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana

Lol really?? you don't even know me heheheh
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Zucker(m): 7:52pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nayah:

Touche! Hard to ignore your level-headed contributions in this thread, though. Keep it up!
Re: Obama Calls Ghana ‘model For Africa’ by Bennyboy11: 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
Nayah:

By the way Nayah is that your picture?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ebonyi State You May Not Know. / Meet Prince Deji Adeyanju, The Incoming PDP Deputy Publicity Secretary / 16 New Infectious Disease Treatment Centers Under Construction Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.