Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? (12833 Views)

10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / Suggestions To Make Nigeria Better / Four Nigerians That Can Lead Nigeria Better Than Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by OilCabal: 6:04pm On Mar 09, 2012
I feel Nigeria with all of its vast problems is still better than some African countries in the sense that; we have not perfect but stable democracy(no dictatorship), Nigerians control or have a say on natural resources,apparent security(not good enough though), relentless and entrepreneurial citizens.Basically a better outlook for the future of our country. I would like to know your views on this topic.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2012
Actually, I agree. No matter how bad things may be here, at least we don't have large-scale incidences of droughts or poor harvests, which produce millions of refugees. If in doubt, go to Somalia.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Arosa(m): 6:19pm On Mar 09, 2012
I heard there is drought in West Africa now, including Naija. And that Republic of Benin has donated food to Burkina faso Mali and Niger. *I wounder who is now the giant of Africa*.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by OilCabal: 6:22pm On Mar 09, 2012
@ Arosa proof please.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Arosa(m): 6:27pm On Mar 09, 2012
Oil_Cabal:

@ Arosa proof please.

ok, let me go and google will be back in a sec.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Arosa(m): 6:32pm On Mar 09, 2012
13 million people on brink of humanitarian crisis in West Africa, Oxfam warns

I see they removed Nigeria name from the list. grin grin grin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/chad/9133026/13-million-people-on-brink-of-humanitarian-crisis-in-West-Africa-Oxfam-warns.html

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by OilCabal: 6:36pm On Mar 09, 2012
yeah they have unfortunately had the crisis of drought reoccurring every year. I talking about Nigeria like its status politically, economically in comparison to some African countries.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by okosodo: 8:11pm On Mar 09, 2012
The democracy of other african countries may not be good, but life there is certainly better than than life in nigeria , except for somalia, ethiopia,uganda ,madagascar,niger, chad. I use to put mali in this category but when i visited a friend there las year , i was astonished. And to think that mali survives through aids.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by highland(m): 12:44pm On Mar 10, 2012
Arosa:

13 million people on brink of humanitarian crisis in West Africa, Oxfam warns

I see they removed Nigeria name from the list. grin grin grin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/chad/9133026/13-million-people-on-brink-of-humanitarian-crisis-in-West-Africa-Oxfam-warns.html

whitemen will always tell to their citizens that Africans are poor and hungry.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by doctimothy: 1:06pm On Mar 10, 2012
Nigeria is better than Somalia, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Congo, uganda, Namibia, Burundi, Cameroon, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc. But we are too egotistical to acknowledge that. We compare oursleves to UK and USA, the same paople who are responsible for our problems. They have a strange hold on Africa, may God deliver us from them

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Trules: 1:20pm On Mar 10, 2012
The people in Africa are responsible for the problems in Africa . You silly idiots. The Greed ,corruption and selfishness of those in "power" is that which has ,which has led us down this path is not the fault of others but the result of our short comings as a people.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by doctimothy: 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2012
The people in Africa are responsible for the problems in Africa .
You silly idiots. The Greed ,corruption and selfishness of those in
"power" is that which has ,which has led us down this path is not
the fault of others but the result of our short comings as a people.
Are u sure?? Who's responsible for the current problems in Libya?? The blood diamonds issues in Liberia and Siera Leone?? These ones are only few obvious ones, I can assure u they have underground influence on Africa's misfortune, Only the wise and observant can understand.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by FlyboyZee: 1:52pm On Mar 10, 2012
If You think Nigeria is the worst African country? What Would you say about Benin, Togo, Mali, Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia; even some countries in Europe, especially the eastern parts like Kazakyrstan or whatever.

Nigeria may look bad, but when you are well traveled, you will know that we are not that bad off.

Nigeria. My Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by member67023: 2:05pm On Mar 10, 2012
@ OP it depends on which aspect/condition your are judging.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by dadicvila(m): 2:38pm On Mar 10, 2012
Do we have 24hrs light?or even 12hrs,good roads?{i travelled 4rm ph to benin yesterday i almost cried because of the bad state of east west road},good schools??and other basic infrastructures,if we dont then we are not better than people that do no matter the challenge they are going through,no need pretending angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by belovedaja(m): 2:48pm On Mar 10, 2012
Except Biafra and ethiopia nigeria is better than all other African countries.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nwogbe: 2:52pm On Mar 10, 2012
Those of us that have been privileged to travel widely in Africa  can attest & also tell u categorically that Nigeria ranks amongst the best three countries in Africa. Take it or leave it.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nayah(f): 3:38pm On Mar 10, 2012
doctimothy:

Nigeria is better than Somalia, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Congo, uganda, Namibia, Burundi, Cameroon, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka,  etc. But we are too egotistical to acknowledge that. We compare oursleves to UK and USA, the same paople who are responsible for our problems. They have a strange hold on Africa, may God deliver us from them
I'm not sure about that, sorry but you're wrong, Cameroon is a very peaceful place to live, just ask to Nigerian brothers who are coming to this place this is completely false thinking Nigeria is better than some countries basing your comment on economy, because you can have oil and not being a good place to be, Chad , Lybia have oil but just check if they're good place to live, don't be confused

Actually I don't even understand why Africans love comparing each other, I mean are we so full of complexes to always want to put others down to shine? I think it's a uselsess childish game, we have many problems to solve ( ethnical, social, economical, political) while some prefer comparing to comfort themselves Nwogbe Nigeria could in top 3 but right now many prefer (including investors) crossing the border going elsewhere in particular in some countries you think you're better! Ecuatorial Guinea, Ghana, Gabon, Cameroon are maybe less rich than Nigeria but many people, might probably tell you they prefer Ghana or Cameroon to live: I think the solution is not bashing the others but work to improve our weaknesses

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Arosa(m): 3:56pm On Mar 10, 2012
You are right nayah, "better" can be regarded as a relative term.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by wordychap: 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2012
nigeria is sure better than many african countries. the high illeteracy and terrorism in the north prevents us from being one of the best in africa
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Ezeufi: 4:03pm On Mar 10, 2012
The following counties are much better than Nigeria.

Botswana
Namibia
Ghana
Tanzania

The rate at which democracy is getting matured in those 4 countries above is a few light years ahead of Nigeria. Some of them are truely developing into a nation in accordance to the geopolitical boundaries drawns in Germany by Bismarck?. Tanzania for instance have a national language that is neither English nor French, and does not belong to any particular ethnic/tribal group in the country. Now more than 90% of Tanzanians speak Swahili as a first language, and the remaining 10% speak it as a second language. Forming a nation takes centuries of civil war until the most powerful group imposes itself and dictates the mainstream culture of that nation. Miraculously the Swahilis seem to have got away with those many years or tribal wars and are fast becoming a nation for the real sense of the word nation.  Those who have visited the country will testify. It it not uncommon to see a bunch of Swahilis, none of whom would know the tribe of any other member of the group.

If Ghana had what Tanzania has now, in 50 years time Ghana would have easily developed into a very powerful country economically and politically.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nayah(f): 4:07pm On Mar 10, 2012
Arosa:

You are right nayah, "better" can be regarded as a relative term.

You know brother, I'm not Nigerian but I respect people and I love and believe in Africa's freedom but this kind of statement I'm doubting sometimes, because I can understand your pride as Nigerian, and I'm really also proud of my country and my culture but there's no reason tp bash others to feel better, it's like hinding yourself the truth, Nigeria has definitemy a great potential everybody knows that, but oil is not everything: Senegal is a better palce to live that yours sorry while is one of the poorest country in the Continent btw check this link
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-890441.0.html

Ezufi it depends on what you call better place to live, Ecuatorial Guinea, Gabon Cameroon are very good place to live too
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by emofine2(f): 4:36pm On Mar 10, 2012
I immediately cringed when I saw this topic because it appears devised as a means for one to derive comfort in the situation of Nigeria by comparing her to countries who are worse off. undecided
Since some project a single image of Nigeria I understand that by way of countering this some feel the need to contrast but let’s be honest; the bar in Africa is not exactly high. Such desperate comparison actually reflects more on Nigeria than her neighbours. Is Nigeria better than some African nations? Undoubtedly yes. But when the bar is not even high it’s not exactly an accomplishment or a relief especially given Nigeria’s resource and potential.
When people judge Nigeria, they do not judge or assess her by Rwanda's or Chad’s standards. undecided
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nayah(f): 4:47pm On Mar 10, 2012
emöfine:

I immediately cringed when I saw this topic because it appears devised as a means for one to derive comfort in the situation of Nigeria by comparing her to countries who are worse off. undecided
Since some project a single image of Nigeria I understand that by way of countering this some feel the need to contrast but let’s be honest; the bar in Africa is not exactly high. Such desperate comparison actually reflects more on Nigeria than her neighbours. Is Nigeria better than some African nations? Undoubtedly yes. But when the bar is not even high it’s not exactly an accomplishment or a relief especially given Nigeria’s resource and potential.
When people judge Nigeria, they do not judge or assess her by Rwanda's or Chad’s standards. undecided

I partly agree, the bolded one is relative, Nigeria has its good and its bad side not better not worst
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by kaiter: 4:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
I use to put mali in this category but when i visited a friend there las year , i was astonished. And to think that mali survives through aids. [img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by onila(f): 4:59pm On Mar 10, 2012
nigeria is better than ethiopia,somalia,congo,sierra leone, liberia, togo etc
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by onila(f): 5:02pm On Mar 10, 2012
Nayah:

I'm not sure about that, sorry but you're wrong, Cameroon is a very peaceful place to live, just ask to Nigerian brothers who are coming to this place this is completely false thinking Nigeria is better than some countries basing your comment on economy, because you can have oil and not being a good place to be, Chad , Lybia have oil but just check if they're good place to live, don't be confused

Actually I don't even understand why Africans love comparing each other, I mean are we so full of complexes to always want to put others down to shine? I think it's a uselsess childish game, we have many problems to solve ( ethnical, social, economical, political) while some prefer comparing to comfort themselves Nwogbe Nigeria could in top 3 but right now many prefer (including investors) crossing the border going elsewhere in particular in some countries you think you're better! Ecuatorial Guinea, Ghana, Gabon, Cameroon are maybe less rich than Nigeria but many people, might probably tell you they prefer Ghana or Cameroon to live: I think the solution is not bashing the others but work to improve our weaknesses

cameroon might be peaceful but its just peaceful for the rich. Besides Cameroon has one of the worst democratic government in Africa and the economy is not so good at the moment
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by onila(f): 5:07pm On Mar 10, 2012
I dont understand this hype about Ghana many Ghanaians are running away from their country because of lack of jobs-high unemployment rate. Ghana is just good for the few people who can find good jobs in the country
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Zucker(m): 5:12pm On Mar 10, 2012
I agree with my girl, Nayah. As a fellow African, and one whose ancestral home can be traced to Ille Ife, allow me to tell you what Nigeria has more than any other African nation: POTENTIAL. Nigeria is a Usain Bolt, coiled and poised on his block, with all the odds hugely stacked in his favor. If he does nothing foolish to get disqualified, he wins the race ninety-nine out of a hundred times.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Nayah(f): 5:15pm On Mar 10, 2012
onila:

cameroon might be peaceful but its just peaceful for the rich. Besides Cameroon has one of the worst democratic government in Africa and the economy is not so good at the moment
Hello Onila, I'm not a fan of Paul Biya because we got a great potential in terms of agriculture, ressources and so on and for me this President and his governement have already shown their weaknesses, but when you talk about democracy you just talk about alternative gouvernments right? and in this statement I'm sorry to say a "good country" has nothing to do with "so called democracy" imposed by westerners, Africa is organised in a way that their so called democracy doesn't work, we were completely cut of the reality and that's why we got problems nowadays

Lybia and Ghana are two great illustrations: Khaddafi was labelled as a one the worst political man in the World but Lybia was one of the "best" country ( like the thread title) in Africa, since westerners brough their "democracy" we all know what's going on there
As for Ghana same thing: Rawlings was  blacklisted and viewed as a big dictator and tyran while this man was working for his country and now is known for the man who has initiated Ghana's developpement, the others are just following his steps

Paul Biya is maybe not an example for you but I'm sorry, Cameroun is a stable country and the first largest and diversified economy of the CEMAC equivalent of the ECOWAS, check some informations if you want but Cameroon has nothing to envy to any other country, we have our problems like others but far from being worst, it's a fact
Other thing: If I had to choose between Paul Biya and Westerners' interference, the choice would be very easy I'd choose Biya because we know what happens when these people come to your land to support their "democracy" slogan, no thanks
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:21pm On Mar 10, 2012
Somalia maybe, and that is a big maybe. undecided Nigeria is a big disgrace for a country and i am a proud Africa, Nigerian, Biafran, Igbo . cheesy
Re: Is Nigeria Better Than Some African Countries? by Arosa(m): 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2012
Zucker:

I agree with my girl, Nayah. As a fellow African, and one whose ancestral home can be traced to Ille Ife, allow me to tell you what Nigeria has more than any other African nation: POTENTIAL. Nigeria is a Usain Bolt, coiled and poised on his block, with all the odds hugely stacked in his favor. If he does nothing foolish to get disqualified, he wins the race ninety-nine out of a hundred times.

I can't think of a better way to describe naija in Africa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mimiko Meets OPC Members Over Killing Of Colleague By Fulani’s Herdsmen / Nigeria's External Reserve Hits $4b Gain, Highest In 12 Months / Bayelsa Guber In View; War Of Words Between Sylva And Lokpobiri Over APC Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.