Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,831 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. (12231 Views)

February Elecions: Foreign Journalists Still Denied Visa Into Nigeria? / Lamido Denied Being Appointed As Jonathan’s Campaign Coordinator / I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian Today: Thank You APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by EzeUche(m): 5:28pm On Mar 10, 2012
I just say I am Igbo. No need to say anything else. cool
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by linearity: 5:50pm On Mar 10, 2012
I have never been put in a position to deny that I am a Nigerian despite the fact that, I am an America citizen, A lot of co-workers approach me about some Nigerian 419 emails that they receive and I tell them that, I also received the same type of emails despite being a Nigerian.

Few weeks ago, my Boss received an email with a new twist and he called me on the phone asking me if he should respond, I asked that he read the email to me; after a few lines, I told him that, it is fraud and that he should delete it. I am now using my Nigerian 'sense' to guide them out of trouble and they appreciate it. Not all these emails have fore-taste of fraud, many are innocent looking foreign investment opportunities and legitimate looking partnership ventures.

That said, I understand what the OP did. It is perfectly logical, despite what we might think or say; every single human being's first instinct is survival, The Bible said there is a time for everything, That is not the time to defend Nigeria and blame those foreign government for equally the same act. It is a time to weep and to condemn the violate act.

Another approach the OP would have taken, was to identify himself as a Nigerian and condemn the act and empathize with the people there. But him alone can sense his imminent danger and the wisdom in doing that.

I have many times decry the violence in the Niger Delta in the presence of my American co-workers and in those occasions; I also explain the Land-use decree of Nigeria to them and how poor and impoverished these people are, with no access to good road, education and their means of livelihood of fishing and farming is been destroyed by oil pipelines and spillage, after these careful explanation of their situations, you will be surprise that, these people who were against the uprising a few minutes ago, will flip sides and say, they would do the same thing, if someone usurp their land, impoverish them, their kids and descendants without paying royalties and caring for the environment.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:58pm On Mar 10, 2012
I don't deny anything, at the end of the day; Britain, America and Russia are responsible for Nigeria. 3 million Igbo life was worth Nigeria existence.

I can't deny, i yam a Nigerian. cool
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by monkeyleg: 6:45pm On Mar 10, 2012
There is absolutely nothing wrong with him denying that he is from Nigeria. For those who shouting blue murder, you need to go and find out what Nigerians have done the world over. We have not endeared people to us, we have abused people trust, we have been mean to people, we have been deceitful to people, we have lied at every single opportunity, even my former governor changed his date of birth to avoid being disqualifed during elections. we have simply soiled our reputation, even those who understand us better have lost all respect for us, because we have abused thier kindness. From the America's to Africa, we as Nigerians have messed up our reputation. So please lay off the guy.

Let us start by fixing our country
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by beblessed(f): 7:04pm On Mar 10, 2012
grin@koruji, u re so funny! Pls nobody shd jugde him. It's all about survival. Even d country cant protect us on it's shore so beta 2 protect urself. See all d senseless killings up north,wat has been done? Wisdom is d principal thing oh!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by amirize(m): 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2012
Thank God
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by comechop1: 7:48pm On Mar 10, 2012
@ poster dont worry urself just have ur peace of mind its not a big deal to me.  Recently, i was asked by a young man in the same bus heading to Cairo airport.  Where are u from asked the young man? My answer was am from Ghana the guy replied with a big smile  ohhhhhh the Black Stars ohhhhh i love Ghana i love the Black Stars. He was soooo happy about it and i was happy too that early morning dont want to spoil my day with memories of naija wahala/ I love Ghana too shes  my second country.

In the public with strangers claim any country u like that u have been with good reputation.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by marabout(m): 8:59pm On Mar 10, 2012
Denying Naija is nothing new. People are Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa, Efik, Edo, Kanuri , Idoma etc first and foremost and when convenient, Naija.

People are now not ready to suffer to the sins of others (with whom they increasingly feel they have less in commom).

Naija is becoming more of a geographical expression. A peaceful divorce would be a good way forward.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 10, 2012
Incase i find myself in such scenerio as the Op,i would immediately declare to be an IKALE woman in west Africa,you dnt have to say you are a Nigerian.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by gegee(m): 9:21pm On Mar 10, 2012
Because it is an abomination for a low-life black man to kill a White man. Black people go to jail for life for even looking at a WHite man/woman the wrong way in America. Wake up buddy, and smell the coffee. Now go inform your peeps in Naija to get ready for war. We will take you all out with our drones, like the one below. We will start from your huts and gradually work our way up to your mud houses until we take out every father, mother, child, pregnant woman and heavily accented diasporan like yourself. It is onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
ur papa angry angry angry angry angry
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by koruji(m): 10:13pm On Mar 10, 2012
Thanks - beblessed grin grin grin

Unfortunately, it is no joking matter. Nigerians cannot afford to laugh this thing off anymore.

beblessed:

grin@koruji, u re so funny! Pls nobody shd jugde him. It's all about survival. Even d country cant protect us on it's shore so beta 2 protect urself. See all d senseless killings up north,wat has been done? Wisdom is d principal thing oh!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Ilekokonit: 10:34pm On Mar 10, 2012
Any one who denies his fatherland has inferiority complex.

Any Nigerian who is a tribalist is either an illiterate or an educated illiterate.

Anyone holding a Nigerian passport and still working against Nigeria's unity has no principles and is a disgrace.
Why don't you give up your Nigerian passport first before you come here and talk rubbish about Nigeria breaking up.

Nigeria is bigger than any tribal sentiments. If you don't like being Nigerian then give up your Nigerian passport first. You can't have your cake and eat it. Man up and do what real men do.

If you are tired of being a Nigerian then go adopt another country and lets see how you fare. Leave us who are proudly Nigerian to mend our imperfect but much beloved country.

In 40 years time you will definitely still be Nigerian like the rest of us so why not try and build a better Nigeria for us and our Children to cherish instead of trying at every corner to pull it apart with your tribal poison

Once again if you don't like being Nigerian then give up your Nigerian passport first instead of tiring us out with your empty boasts.

I am not a traitor and no matter how little, I have benefitted from Nigeria [/b]in the past and come good, come bad, I will remain a loyal Nigerian till I die. I may criticise the imperfections of our corrupt leaders across ALL 36 states and in the Presidency BUT it is in my best interests for Nigeria to remain one AS [b]WE HAVE NO OTHER COUNTRY TO CALL OUR OWN.

Long Live Nigeria For Better For Worse
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Beaf: 10:39pm On Mar 10, 2012
^
Preach, bro! cool
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by koruji(m): 10:53pm On Mar 10, 2012
You are talking too much theory, and mixing issues up. The real issue is that Nigeria is an illusion, a deceit, an administrative put-together by a colonial master and named by his concubine - the children of a man and his concubine are known as B.ASTARDS. That is why the leaders treat the nation as a B.ASTARD child. They milk it dry, they kill its citizens, but would not hesitate to kiss the shoes of their foreign masters.

Denying Nigeria is not denying my nation. Nigeria was the creation of Lord Luggard - it is his nation, nothing else has been added to that definition since independence. My great-great grandfathers and yours would probably have placed a curse on the head of Luggard for lumping their beloved nations with others with whom they share almost nothing in common.

What you have to ask yourself is this: Is Nigeria currently greater or less than the sum of its individual ethnic nationalities. The firm answer to that is it is LESS. When you have come to that conclusion you will realize that Nigeria was not decreed by any God, but by the whims of wicked colonial powers, and thus deserves and gets no real allegiance.

It is then time to split it up to enable the individual parts to make progress on their own strength and weaknesses. As it stands now, all Nigerian does is suppress the strength of its individual nationalities, while the justling for the spoils of office multiplies the weaknesses 10-fold. Think about it a little more - it is really the same principle why companies merge and split apart at different points in time.

The real issue again is that the reason Nigeria was created in the first place was to allow it to be more effectively controlled and exploited. Is it any surprise then that this is exactly what most leaders we have had since 1960 continue to use the country for - control and expolitation.

Ilekokonit:

Any Nigerian who is a tribalist is either an illiterate or an educated illiterate.

Anyone holding a Nigerian passport and still working against Nigerias unity has no principles and is a disgrace.
Why don't you give up your Nigerian passport first before you come here and talk rubbish about Nigeria breaking up.

Nigeria is bigger than any tribal sentiments. If you don't like being Nigerian then give up your Nigerian passport first. You can't have your cake and eat it. Man up and do what real men do.

If you are tired of being a Nigerian then go adopt another country and lets see how you fare. Leave us who are proudly Nigerian to mend our imperfect but much beloved country.

In 40 years time you will definitely still be Nigerian like the rest of us so why not try and build a better Nigeria for us and our Children to cherish instead of trying at every corner to pull it apart with your tribal poison

Once again if you don't like being Nigerian then give up your Nigerian passport first instead of tiring us out with your empty boasts.

I am not a traitor and no matter how little, I have benefitted from Nigeria [/b]in the past and come good, come bad, I will remain a loyal Nigerian till I die. I may criticise the imperfections of our corrupt leaders across ALL 36 states and in the Presidency BUT it is in my best interests for Nigeria to remain one AS [b]WE HAVE NO OTHER COUNTRY TO CALL OUR OWN.

Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by koruji(m): 10:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
The nation against whom you were a militant has suddenly become darling to you cool cool cool

Hmmmm. . . I wonder why?

Beaf:

^
Preach, bro! cool
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by tiebe: 10:57pm On Mar 10, 2012
Ilekokonit:

Anyone holding a Nigerian passport and still working against Nigeria's unity has no principles and is a disgrace.

your views are noble and i support you very fully. I knw how many times i'v stood with international colleagues and bravely tried to make them stop seeing Nigerians as the worst thing that happened to the world. cos I truly dnt believe that Nigerians do what other nationalities do. However, there are times when one is just tired of constantly defending ones self. . . I've never been put in that situation b4 where denying being Nigerian was easier but I've gone darn close!. . so, I cant judge.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by ojdecent: 10:14am On Mar 11, 2012
You no try and you try in case they will start beaten you there.

Congratulations . . . . . . . . .

Welcome to world of reality . . . . .

Just like you . . . . . .

Am not a Nigerian, I maybe a nIGERian but definitely not a Nigerian.[/quote]
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by thehomer: 10:38am On Mar 11, 2012
Gsmxpert: I WENT TO LISBON FROM DUBLIN FOR AN OFFICIAL ASSIGNMENT, ON GETTING THERE I MET ALOT OF
PEOPLE ALL FOCUSED ON A BIG FLAT SCREEN TV ON THE WALL, GUESS WHAT THEY WERE WATCHING angry angry angry
ALL EYES WERE ON ME AS I WALKED SILENTLY TO MY SEAT AND BEHOLD A SPANISH GUY I KNOW VERY WELL
ASKED "AINT YOU A NIGERIAN" I LUGUBRIOUSLY SAID NO AM FROM TOGO. angry angry angry THE TV WAS SHOWING
THE DEATH OF THE ITALIAN AND BRITISH GUY IN NIAJA. AS I SPEAK MANY BIRTISH AND IRISH CITIZENS ARE ACTING
AS IF NO FORIGNER HAS DIED IN THEIR COUNTRIES. angry angry angry angry

I hope you speak French fluently. Besides, by official assignment, was that by the Nigerian government or do you mean an assignment for your private business?
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by sweetgala(m): 11:06am On Mar 11, 2012
Beaf:

Exactly! Germans never denied being German when the cannibal case was being broadcast Worldwide; Saudi's never denied being Saudi because of Bin Laden; Americans never disowned their country because of the Columbine Massacre; Norwegians never denied their country because of Anders Behring Breivik etc etc

. . .But a Nigerian denies his country because of boko haram and is proud to broadcast it. embarassed

Put perfectly
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by sweetgala(m): 2:07pm On Mar 11, 2012
It's a pity but such things happen on daily. I just think people should work and be adjudged on their personal merits and integrity. In a situation where such is yet to be established the reputation of your country could be a blessing when. Trust and confidence is essential.

I find Europeans and other nationalities are warm to the likes of South Africa because what comes to mind is nelson Mandela. When people think of nigeria even our African brothers have nothing good to write home about.

However there is never a reason to denounce WHO YOU ARE, you enslave yourself to that persons opinion. I can remember once a close irish friend and classmate of over 4 years asked where I originated from while a group of us where discussing on heritage topic , I responded nigerian to my amazement they all were surprised because according to them " from their dealings with me I never conducted myself in the way they have been made to believe a stereotypical nigerian behaves" I said a few words in favour of my dear country and left it at that.
Note: I reside and grew up in this same Dublin the OP lives in and some professional naija people have the difficult task of carrying other people's negative bagage and I've experienced same in my workplace, and while naija people dey phuck up we also are more capable of integrating and being productive in foreign communities than any other African community.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by mithel(m): 10:16pm On Mar 11, 2012
Its been very long i posted but i have to talk about this one.

now,i am really ashamed of what the poster has done.he obviously didnt believe in the country before.moreover the way he put tge story the people he was talking about dont sound like touts or something,why will they now turn murderers all of a sudden.

i face this kind of stuff everyday(na everyday bad news dey come from naija dis days).i live n study in moscow,everytym wahala dey naija,my teacher would ask me what happen ,and why and stuffs infront of students from other countries.from mandalla bombings,to d xmas bombing,to the protests ,to the recent attack on a russian ship even the SA wahala.

The one that was more difficult was the russian ship matter,but i explained to her that she should mention a country that has a sea that does record cases of piracy.she say ладно(alright).but when i was in the lift with a russian guy,he started proving difficult,i said he shud remember a nigerian was murdered the previous year too in russia and that every country get thier own problems.we ended up as padis.

Even my fellow african students sometimes want to yarn nonsense about Nigeria,but the pride and swagger that i have as CITIZEN OF NIGERIA,makes me handle them so well,that now they respect naija.

Its true we are the sleeping GIANT of Africa but still i believe even the SNORE of a giant is enough to scare off its enemies at times.

thats how it should be,I WOULD NEVER DENY MY NIGERIANESS.shame on the ones who invented non-existent countries too.

N.b__sorry for some of the typo errors.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 11, 2012
Gsmxpert: I WENT TO LISBON FROM DUBLIN FOR AN OFFICIAL ASSIGNMENT, ON GETTING THERE I MET ALOT OF
PEOPLE ALL FOCUSED ON A BIG FLAT SCREEN TV ON THE WALL, GUESS WHAT THEY WERE WATCHING angry angry angry
ALL EYES WERE ON ME AS I WALKED SILENTLY TO MY SEAT AND BEHOLD A SPANISH GUY I KNOW VERY WELL
ASKED "AINT YOU A NIGERIAN" I LUGUBRIOUSLY SAID NO AM FROM TOGO. angry angry angry THE TV WAS SHOWING
THE DEATH OF THE ITALIAN AND BRITISH GUY IN NIAJA. AS I SPEAK MANY BIRTISH AND IRISH CITIZENS ARE ACTING
AS IF NO FORIGNER HAS DIED IN THEIR COUNTRIES. angry angry angry angry
Smart thing you did, you could have ended up dying painfully for a worthless country that has no value system.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 12:35am On Mar 12, 2012
Beaf:

Exactly! Germans never denied being German when the cannibal case was being broadcast Worldwide; Saudi's never denied being Saudi because of Bin Laden; Americans never disowned their country because of the Columbine Massacre; Norwegians never denied their country because of Anders Behring Breivik etc etc

. . .But a Nigerian denies his country because of boko haram and is proud to broadcast it. embarassed
Reason with the guy's predicament. And your examples do not tally with his situation. Everyone have their fears and life has no spare, we should be realistic and not judge based on our primary response like this is one fictitious story. At least he knows it was the wrong thing to do but self preservation got the greater part of him over nationalism- and you know very well ђã†̥ we have is far from being a nation.

Nigerians tend to feign they are people that have personality they actually can't phantom in reality. No Nigerian is as patriotic as most claim here if not it will reflect in our daily lives when we communicate and do business. I can't say I'm hundred percent sure but i know non of the self acclaimed stake holders this country has will die for her-i believe the President will rather have a part region of this country wiped out than he being assassinated.

When judging, we should always try to put burgeoning emotions aside. It only messes our thought path and make us look infallible especially when its being supported by a spiralling band wagon effect, even with the wrong conclusions drawn from emotion ridden premise.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Beaf: 1:01am On Mar 12, 2012
^
Dude, it takes low self esteem and the despicable cowardice it brings to disown your country. Anybody that can do that will disown their own mother too when they "think" that the going is rough.

It is even silly to imagine that anybody would be killed because of the murder of two Europeans in Nigeria. When Nigerians kill oyimbo's in oyimbo land, do those who know nothing buy tickets and flee? Some things are just ridiculous.

The OP is a coward with a terrible affliction of inferiority.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by kemmeye: 3:28am On Mar 12, 2012
im pretty sure i woulda done the same thing. Im not going to let anyone break my head on something that is not my fault
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by khiaa(f): 4:24am On Mar 12, 2012
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by khiaa(f): 4:25am On Mar 12, 2012
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by khiaa(f): 4:26am On Mar 12, 2012
I have been lurking through your site for a few months now but this is my first time posting, I am American and I would like to say that Davidylan is a LIAR. Black people in America are not sent to jail for stepping to a white person, nobody fears them.

As for the poster, I don't blame him he was alone and in a strange country who knows how crazy those people are. I would have done the same thing, has nothing to do with being a coward just survival and using common sense.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by khiaa(f): 4:29am On Mar 12, 2012
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by khiaa(f): 4:30am On Mar 12, 2012
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by iluvnaija: 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2012
@OP You do am well jare. Those criticising you will do the same because they are afraid of deportation even if they have all relevant documents, they are only making noise here.
Is there anything to be proud of in NIGERIA. When there is no security for nigerians, corruption is everywhere, no light, no food but we have land, no fuel but we have crude oil, just tell me something to be proud of. It is only in nigeria president spend 1Billion on food while nigerians are leaving below poverty line.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nayah(f): 12:46pm On Mar 12, 2012
Never deny your roots, you might be not perfect but who can tel he has or lives in a perfect country?
Even though your house is burning never give the opportunity to let the others distroying what you can save, and sorry to say this but some westerners have not paid back lifes they have taken during colonisation, even though I'm sorry for those who were killed, I think we need to balance our comments and not losing our sense of reality

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Check Out The Amount Collected By YOUR STATE From Sure-p Funds / BREAKING: Buhari Sends ‘revised’ List Of Ambassadorial Nominees To Senate / We'll Give Life Of Dignity To All Nigerians - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.