Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

UK To Fight Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK To Fight Boko Haram (6313 Views)

Buhari In UK To Rest - Hajia Aishat Buhari / Buhari Off To UK, To Speak At UK's Chatham House / Buhari Will Lead Military To Fight Boko Haram – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK To Fight Boko Haram by OAM4J: 3:42am On Mar 14, 2012
UK to fight Boko Haram

Britain yesterday pledged to step up its backing for Nigeria in the battle against the Boko Haram insurgency.

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond spoke of the House of Commons while recounting how the raid to rescue a Briton and an Italian held hostage in Sokoto State was carried out.

He spoke of how the British Special Forces that joined Nigerian security personnel killed one of the hostage takers.

Three other captors, he said, were killed by Nigerian forces. One Nigerian soldier was wounded in the operation.

Hammond said: “This was a difficult operation that it was judged had to be carried out at speed, in view of the risks to the lives of Chris and Franco.

“The deaths of Chris McManus and Franco Lamolinara were a terrible tragedy but let us be clear, the responsibility for their deaths lies squarely with the people who kidnapped them, held them, threatened them and then murdered them in cold blood.

“Terrorism and kidnapping can never be justified. Many of the groups responsible for the kidnapping and murder of Chris and Franco, including their senior leaders, are either dead or have been detained - an important achievement in reducing the threat of future kidnapping.

“But violent, extremist Islamist groups remain active in Nigeria and so long as they are, we will work with the Nigerian and other allies to fight the scourge of terrorism wherever it manifests itself.”

McManus and Limolinara were employees of a construction firm. They were abducted from a construction site in Birni Kebbi in May last year and taken to Sokoto. They were killed last Thursday following the storming of the hideout where they were kept by their captors.

Hammond said the British Government supported Nigerian troops in the attempted rescue of McManus and Lamolinara after receiving credible information of their location and “imminent and escalating” threats to their lives.

Shadow Defence Secretary Jim Murphy endorsed the decision to launch the raid last Thursday.

Hammond said: “The assessment on the ground was there was a significant possibility the kidnappers, if present, were already aware their security had been compromised and if they were not, the level of military activity in the town meant there was a real risk of them developing that awareness.

“The military judgment was that the hostages were facing an imminent and escalating threat and while an immediate rescue attempt would inevitably involve risk, it represented the best chance of securing the release of Chris and Franco alive.”

Hammond said British Prime Minister David Cameron gave the go-ahead for British involvement in the assault after a briefing by military and national security advisers.

He told MPs the operation lasted about 90 minutes but that the bodies of the two hostages were found by the troops in a room at the rear of the compound.

The Defence Secretary added: “The early indications are clear both men were murdered by their captors with automatic gun fire before they could be rescued.”

Hammond told MPs a coroner’s inquest into the death of Mr McManus would be held.

He said it continued to be the policy of the British Government not to pay ransoms to terrorist groups who take hostages.

Hammond said it had become clear following the kidnap that it was being carried out by the terrorist group Boko Haram and clear demands had not been issued.

He said the kidnappers made some direct contacts with Mr McManus’s family.

“But at no time during their captivity did the kidnappers make any coherent demands.”

Hammond said the British and Nigerian Government worked closely together to try and establish where the hostages were being held.

He said on a visit to Nigeria in July 2011, Mr Cameron agreed a package of support from Britain for Nigeria’s counter-terrorism efforts with President Goodluck Jonathan.

Hammond said: “As part of that package, a sustained operation was conducted to identify members of the group responsible for the kidnapping.

“Earlier last week, a number of them were apprehended and during de-briefing late on March 7, credible intelligence was obtained identifying the probable location of the hostages at a house or compound in Sokoto, northern Nigeria.”

Hammond said Foreign Secretary William Hague then briefed Mr Cameron that evening before chairing a Cobra meeting on the new information the following morning at 8.15am. A further full briefing was then relayed to the Prime Minister.

“The location was confirmed and the Nigerian military took up position on the ground and an assault group, including UK support, was put in place.

“Following a further briefing, the Prime Minister gave authorisation to the rescue attempt, which began at 10.58am London time.

“The UK’s ambassador in Rome informed the Italian government an operation was beginning as soon as possible afterwards,” Hammond said.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/39717-uk-to-fight-boko-haram.html
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Arouser(m): 9:51am On Mar 14, 2012
About time.This slow Jona is clueless.

1 Like

Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Jeel: 10:04am On Mar 14, 2012
Long awaited
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Godmann(m): 10:05am On Mar 14, 2012
It will be very unwise to invite any of the NATO countries into Nigeria in the disguise of fighting Boko Haram. I have maintained that Boko Haram was a creation of NATO secret agents as a tool to destabilize Nigeria. I remain convinced that the long term goal is to secure Nigeria oil as they have done in Angola, Sudan and most recently in a very crude way in Libya. The granting of independence to Southern Sudan keep coming into my head. I can't hold back believing that the whole Niger Delta terrorist and Boko Haram share same sponsors. Their approach may be difference, the active men on the field mya be different; but the patron remains the same person.

Whoever that does not know how the western secret agents "program" people for their goal should try to find out. The men supposedly fighting for teh liberation of Niger Delta and the Boko Haram who claim to be fighting for "Sharia" will never know who is funding them. These funds are moved through layers of international businessmen, drug Barons and Arms dealers that it get very complicated to figure out its source and its true motive.

Even President GEJ I believe has been unknowingly set up working for the agenda to break up Nigeria by these western powers.

Mark you it will never be for our good. It is for the sole good of the "Super power". Never deceive yourself that a tiny Oduduwa, Biafran, Niger Delta, etc republic will be democratic and pro-people. Try know the history of dictators in Africa, and will see that all were product of these western countries. The most wicked Idi Amin and Mobutu inclusive.

So brothers, let not trust an enemy. We are better of solving our problem ourselves. These people are the makers of our problem.

He that have ears, let him hear.

1 Like

Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Arouser(m): 10:13am On Mar 14, 2012
Godman_n: It will be very unwise to invite any of the NATO countries into Nigeria in the disguise of fighting Boko Haram. I have maintained that Boko Haram was a creation of NATO secret agents as a tool to destabilize Nigeria. I remain convinced that the long term goal is to secure Nigeria oil as they have done in Angola, Sudan and most recently in a very crude way in Libya. The granting of independence to Southern Sudan keep coming into my head. I can't hold back believing that the whole Niger Delta terrorist and Boko Haram share same sponsors. Their approach may be difference, the active men on the field mya be different; but the patron remains the same person.

Whoever that does not know how the western secret agents "program" people for their goal should try to find out. The men supposedly fighting for teh liberation of Niger Delta and the Boko Haram who claim to be fighting for "Sharia" will never know who is funding them. These funds are moved through layers of international businessmen, drug Barons and Arms dealers that it get very complicated to figure out its source and its true motive.

Even President GEJ I believe has been unknowingly set up working for the agenda to break up Nigeria by these western powers.

Mark you it will never be for our good. It is for the sole good of the "Super power". Never deceive yourself that a tiny Oduduwa, Biafran, Niger Delta, etc republic will be democratic and pro-people. Try know the history of dictators in Africa, and will see that all were product of these western countries. The most wicked Idi Amin and Mobutu inclusive.

So brothers, let not trust an enemy. We are better of solving our problem ourselves. These people are the makers of our problem.

Yeah right. Get real bro.I support any measure that will stop these Mallams from killing innocent Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Goldieluks: 10:15am On Mar 14, 2012
Its high time something is done to these Boko nonsense!
UK you have the go ahead to fight them, but please make sure not to kill innocent people.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by eghost247(m): 10:16am On Mar 14, 2012
thanks
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by cashmentor(m): 10:22am On Mar 14, 2012
I thought they liked the North?
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by UcLloyd: 10:26am On Mar 14, 2012
Godman_n: It will be very unwise to invite any of the NATO countries into Nigeria in the disguise of fighting Boko Haram. I have maintained that Boko Haram was a creation of NATO secret agents as a tool to destabilize Nigeria. I remain convinced that the long term goal is to secure Nigeria oil as they have done in Angola, Sudan and most recently in a very crude way in Libya. The granting of independence to Southern Sudan keep coming into my head. I can't hold back believing that the whole Niger Delta terrorist and Boko Haram share same sponsors. Their approach may be difference, the active men on the field mya be different; but the patron remains the same person.

Wah could be worse than wah these clueless mallams are doing to ♏♈ Christian Brothers...if the Western World like, let ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ take all our Oil...​Ȋ̝̊̅§ better than allowing bunch of illiterate stupors kill ♏♈ people like xmas chickens...Mbanu!!!
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by freecocoa(f): 10:36am On Mar 14, 2012
Its been long overdue,those Boko goats need to be dealt with,
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by scriptwizz: 10:39am On Mar 14, 2012

nonsense, even if his aim is to break up nigeria, whats wrong with that afterall thats the wish of the nigerian majority.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Omen100(m): 10:48am On Mar 14, 2012
Wah could be worse than wah these clueless mallams are doing to ♏♈ Christian Brothers...if the Western World like, let ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ take all our Oil...​Ȋ̝̊̅§ better than allowing bunch of illiterate stupors kill ♏♈ people like xmas chickens...Mbanu!!!

I sometimes asked myself if we Nigerians are mentally ok, or we are just being too stupid to make use of our thinking faculties or we are just claiming to be intelligent whereas most of us are just too dumb. I can't imagined an intelligent person to be vomiting those shit, now i understand the type of people president jonathan has surrender himself with, maybe is you and your types that are still calling these boko harams guys illiterates, as far i am concern, boko harams are outsmarting all of us including all our security agencies, and on this ground, I will agreed with Godman_n 100%
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by honeyguy(m): 10:55am On Mar 14, 2012
[b]It will be very unwise to invite any of the NATO countries into Nigeria in the disguise of fighting Boko Haram. I have maintained that Boko Haram was a creation of NATO secret agents as a tool to destabilize Nigeria. I remain convinced that the long term goal is to secure Nigeria oil as they have done in Angola, Sudan and most recently in a very crude way in Libya. The granting of independence to Southern Sudan keep coming into my head. I can't hold back believing that the whole Niger Delta terrorist and Boko Haram share same sponsors. Their approach may be difference, the active men on the field mya be different; but the patron remains the same person.

He that have ears, let him hear.[/b]
God bless you..if only people can be wise and see that there is fire on the mountain..the west have a policy called [b]beggar-thy-neighbor [/b]policy..nothing goes for nothing
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Arouser(m): 10:57am On Mar 14, 2012
Omen100: Wah could be worse than wah these clueless mallams are doing to ♏♈ Christian Brothers...if the Western World like, let ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ take all our Oil...​Ȋ̝̊̅§ better than allowing bunch of illiterate stupors kill ♏♈ people like xmas chickens...Mbanu!!!

I sometimes asked myself if we Nigerians are mentally ok, or we are just being too stupid to make use of our thinking faculties or we are just claiming to be intelligent whereas most of us are just too dumb. I can't imagined an intelligent person to be vomiting those shit, now i understand the type of people president jonathan has surrender himself with, maybe is you and your types that are still calling these boko harams guys illiterates, as far i am concern, boko harams are outsmarting all of us including all our security agencies, and on this ground, I will agreed with Godman_n 100%

What exactly is ur point.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by ayusman16(m): 11:07am On Mar 14, 2012

OMG! You are so dumb angry

OMG! You are so dumb
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Skywalker5(m): 11:40am On Mar 14, 2012

Word.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by andrewza: 12:06pm On Mar 14, 2012
Some how i do not think that NATO wants to break you guys up. All the oil company's are there's all ready.

I all so do not see a heavy UK/NATO presence in Nigeria. They may have spec ops and command control elements but I doubt much more than a few 100 if any at all. But they may provide training and gear.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Marshiro(m): 12:12pm On Mar 14, 2012

Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by niddamugu(m): 12:19pm On Mar 14, 2012
What is in it for them? Abi na for free? Let somebody tell me. GEJ, UK has challenged you. Please stop playing politics with the lives of innocent people. Come out and make a statement. It is possible that some people would be offended at what you may say, but if the majority of Nigerians are happy, then you have done well.

[flash]Time is fast ticking.[/flash]
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Desola(f): 12:34pm On Mar 14, 2012
Godman, you say the truth with regard to the disintegration of Nigeria always. I agree with you whole heartedly.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by somegirl1: 1:36pm On Mar 14, 2012
what's so wrong with disintegration?
We should be 4 countries at least for some peace to reign
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by babaowo: 1:46pm On Mar 14, 2012
Desola: Godman, you say the truth with regard to the disintegration of Nigeria always. I agree with you whole heartedly.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Alancash: 1:47pm On Mar 14, 2012
freecocoa: Its been long overdue,those Boko goats need to be dealt with,
remain bless jare those aboki if u said goats u are not far 4rm the truth indeed they deserve total wiping out from existence.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Alancash: 2:00pm On Mar 14, 2012
some-girl:
what's so wrong with disintegration?
We should be 4 countries at least for some peace to reign
chai some-girl e no reach that level pls because this aboki way u de talk am bh they still have advantage small particularly to clear these useless set of mediocre t call national assembly b/4 we distigret final so that opc, mossob, mend and bh 2 have their individual regions 4 peace.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Olaolufred(m): 2:01pm On Mar 14, 2012
If Jonah can step down for Nick to rule us and use their military to do the Job.
With the sitting snail, they may be frustrated.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Sike(m): 3:41pm On Mar 14, 2012
If GEJ can't do it... They'll do it for him.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by AfroBlue(m): 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2012
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by Godmann(m): 4:43pm On Mar 14, 2012
It is not just about writing anything in nairaland in expression of individual opinion. It is about reason.

To all those that wants Nigeria divided under the pretext that "Aboki" has misgoverned Nigeria, I want a debate.

Who destroyed Nigeria Federalism? I think it is Awo when he sat down with, Gowon and his cohorts; and changed our revenue allocation? He was the most educated and senior minister, who has the ears of the powers that be - that happened to be uneducated and unschooled young men (taken directly from secondary school to the army and "somehow" through gun, shot themselves to power).

Awo sat down on a table with them and few permanent secretaries to change our revenue allocation formula. I want someone to prove me wrong. Do hide under the Ironsi unification decree. The decree did not in any way tamper with revenue allocation and collection. If is a fact that months after Gowon emerged as head of state, Ojukwu was collecting all revenues from the east and refused to remit the 40% or so due to the Federal government. This did not lead to war. It was the actual declaration of Biafra that brought the war. I want someone to challenge me on this.

As for we the Igbo, our elders were in coalition government with Saduana between 1960 and 1966 and all we can achieve was to "create and capture" midwestern region. Our NCNC and NPC refused both the Calabars and the Middle Belt their region despite strong agitation for them. They rather used the military to quell the Tiv riots. Why did they not pull out of the government then and force another election based on reason? A threat of leaving the government could have made NPC have a rethink in governing Nigeria. The truth is that the Igbo leaders then were also scheming for power in a very crude and unprincipled way

So what am I saying, all parties contributed to the mess.

Today given the benefits of hindsight most of agree that Buhari and Idiagbon would have sanitised the country. But we forgot to ask who removed them from power? The western press dominated by Yorubas, Abiola and Dantata factor. All for their pro-masses policies.

Who were the admirers IBB until after June 12? Those that can be said to be IBB's best friends? I am sure they are not only Hausas?

In the end, we can see that every tribe in Nigeria contributed in destroying the country.

It can also help to know who brought thuggery and tribalism into Nigeria politic.

When we find answers to this, we will know

1. It were not only Huasa's that destroyed Nigeria.
2. If and when Nigeria breaks up, the corruption in all segments of our society will be remain.
3. No progress will be made as a result. The people will still be denied, as the creation of states have proved. States were usually created based on marginalization; but soon after its creation, another group of oppressor and oppressed emerged.

As for the benefits of staying together as a country. I want some one to show me a big country in our present world that did not build its economy with a large population. The present United Kingdom today was built with a population that included a third of the world then. France was built as same. Spain, Germany and Portugal all built up their economy using their massive population of their colonies of old. Technology is a recent tool that only serves to consolidate an already built economy.

Technology is driven by economics which is driven by population. Invent anything you like and if the market rejects it, your invention is as good as rubbish. There have been great invention that did not see the day because the economic were wrong.

So we need a massive population to dictate the market. With the Nigerian market, we can dictate to investors, manufacturers. we can dictate to investors. All we need to create a good economy is the market and enough resources. The resources is not lacking; now you people want to allow foreign interest push you into destroying this market so that they can perpetually dictate to tiny countries of 30/40 millions, probably playing one country against the other then.

My dream for Nigeria is a super power that will stand to represent the much marginalized black-man in the committee of Nations. If we cannot achieve this, we are a disgrace to nature and God. And there is no way a tiny Oduduwa, Biafra, Arewa etc republic can achieve that.

The masters that destroyed our land and put us into slavery five centuries ago know all these.

Think about exploration, discoveries, slavery, colonization, flag independence and now neo-colonialism. They are all forms of slavery that the blackman has been put under. Unless we get this, we will never have peace. The poverty and misrule in Africa is not because God created us inferior; it is a complicated resultant of the destruction of our society and the continuous efforts being made to keep us down. Including the killing of our leaders and intellectual that gets too "radical".

Radicals rule their society, but radical are either disoriented or murdered secretly in our society. The world keeps changing for the better because of radicals who can think outside to box to discover hidden truth and solutions to problems. Conformist and psychopaths which they have groomed out of all make good followers but never takes their society forward.

It is painful when we cannot get these truths. I know it is because what we know is what they told us. Their lies have become our truth, the same Mungo Park discovered river Niger despite our brother having lived there for centuries before his voyage.

How many of us know what happened to the indiginous population of America. How many of us know that before the discovery of quinine that our land is called Whiteman's grave; that the whiteman would have settled and taken over our lands (and probably wiped out our race) as they did in Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and the American continents. How many of us have "googled" the polulation spread of the American countries (both North and South)to discover that greater percentage of the population are European Migrants, African slaves and later day Asians? Have we been able to tie these things together? Or is it cheaper to come to Nairaland and make cheap statements?

Can we tied together the death of Abacha, Abiola, Muritala, Idiagbon with the overthrow of Buhari/Idiagbon Regime? Have we included that of Patrice lumumba and Thomas Sankara among others?

There in lies the source of our backwardness. Wake up guys we can do it
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by OzReal(m): 6:44pm On Mar 14, 2012
^^^
"My dream for Nigeria is a super power that will stand to represent the much marginalized black-man in the committee of Nations. If we cannot achieve this, we are a disgrace to nature and God. And there is no way a tiny Oduduwa, Biafra, Arewa etc republic can achieve that.

The masters that destroyed our land and put us into slavery five centuries ago know all these."

You have spoken well in your last post, and presented some facts to back up your argument. But I only have a few things to say in reference to the quote from your post above. What I have to say is this : Your dream can NEVER be realised, at least not in our lifetime, or possibly in this century. I say this because it is my fervent belief that there is something inherently amiss with the black man; although, there is no logical explanation which i can provide for this position(but i just believe there is something wrong somewhere). You mentioned that we were enslaved by force(which is very true), but don't forget that we also had brothers who colluded with the invaders to capture some of their brethren. In fact, let us not go too far back in time: take a look at those we call our leaders all over sub-Saharan Africa and any other nation that is populated by a black majority and tell me if what happened during the era of slave trade is different from what is happening now(complete disregard for the welfare of brothers in pursuit of material gains. We have gained independence since 1960, yet we have managed to regress(and continue to do so) with no end in sight. angry
It is time to stop blaming foreigners and acknowledge that we have big problems, and that they won't go away until we address them properly.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by blackcat1: 10:38pm On Mar 14, 2012
@Godman_n and @ OzReal
God continue to bless you two for your wisdom. If only we had 100 of you in power in Nigeria things will surely look up for our nation.
Re: UK To Fight Boko Haram by SkyRider1(m): 10:43pm On Mar 14, 2012
bros, you took too much space...,ejo i no fit fight

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Photo Of Nnamdi Kanu In London! / I Will Be Hanging This Picture In My Office Come May 29 2023 / Yar'adua 'Unconscious' In Saudi Arabia: Fears Mount In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.