Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,171 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice (18466 Views)

When A Girl Is Dating A Guy Who Is Not Ready For Marriage / Jamaican Female Undergraduates Dance Over Fire Like Nicki Minaj / My Experience Dating A Nigerian Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by autumn66(f): 5:17am On Mar 24, 2006
Hi All,
I need some advice, I am a Jamaican born female living in the US and just recently started dating a Nigerian Man. I have never dated an African before but would like some advice and help on some stereotypes. Are Nigerians man romantic?, do they generally cheat? and anything else I need to know.

He seems to be a very nice gentleman but I have no idea about the Nigerian culture, are Nigerians woman jealous if they see a Nigerian man dating another sister,

Just some advice,

Thanks
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Seun(m): 9:10am On Mar 24, 2006
There are good Nigerian men, and there are bad ones. Trust your judgement.

Some Nigerian men are addicted to this idea of "submission". Example: expecting you to kneel down when serving him food, taking up the right to issue directives to you, etc. That might not be a problem with you, depending on your own culture. See the responsis on this thread.

And of course, Nigerian women are jealous when they see their men dating women from other tribes, but that's their problem not yours. wink

1 Like

Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by whitelexi(m): 9:24am On Mar 24, 2006
I dunno you, but I think you are a very lucky woman, Naija sisters will definitely envy u, but keep it tight and you'll make things happen cheesy
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by HalfIjebu(m): 4:05pm On Mar 24, 2006
I personally don't see the difference btw the two cultures especially for a Nigerian living outha the shores of Nigeria but the slight difference could be in form of food and some other minor issues and talking about Naija women:Sorry to say this but i think Naija women think they are all dat and as a result lose out to other women from different back ground, Guys no too gbadun long thing!!!
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Outkast(f): 6:03pm On Mar 24, 2006
Well in my opinion,
You'll see Nigerians and Jamaicans have a lot in common, forget the fact tha he's Nigerian and treat him like any other man. It'll be fun at least you'll learn a lot about his culture and hopefully you'll teach him a thng or two about yours
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Idekeson(m): 6:16pm On Mar 24, 2006
The only difference between a Jamaican man and a Nigerian man is the language. A Jamaican man that grew up in Kingston has the same attitude as a Nigerian man that grew up in Lagos. Not every Jamaican man is a "hustler" or "rude boy". Same token, not every Nigerian man is a "guy man" (con man). Forget stereotypes, there is no standard behavior of a Nigerian man. It depends largely on the orientation of your man. Nuff respect.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Bright2(m): 6:20pm On Mar 24, 2006
My dear,it depends on individual but i do know Nigerian men has those qualities u did mentioned,in de aspect of food, they eat eatable things like other Jamaican men,one other thing is dat Nigerian men takes bein ontop in their relationship serious 2 de core,de way God made it 2 be initially.About our girls they dont send, unless u snatched de man from them,if u did dat, then i trust them u are at de middle de war wit dem. But 4 now go ahead & catch ur FUN.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by larger20(m): 7:18pm On Mar 24, 2006
autumn66:

Hi All,
I need some advice, I am a Jamaican born female living in the US and just recently started dating a Nigerian Man. I have never dated an African before but would like some advice and help on some stereotypes. Are Nigerians man romantic?, do they generally cheat? and anything else I need to know.

He seems to be a very nice gentleman but I have no idea about the Nigerian culture, are Nigerians woman jealous if they see a Nigerian man dating another sister,

Just some advice,

Thanks

Yes nigerian men can cheat but as far as good relationship when u r with him, there are the best . They will be the last people to break up with u if u marry them, so try talking to him about marriage with time and see his reaction.
I am also dating jamican woman and she is enjoying every bit of the time we spend together.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Idekeson(m): 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2006
Like I said, It depends on your man. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that because he is a Nigerian or "African" like a lot of Jamaican say, that he will be a good husband material. Nigerians are very smart so you must know what you want out of the relationship and express it early.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by chinani(f): 2:48am On Mar 25, 2006
My advice: treat him like an individual. Forget the stereotypes. Your honey could prove or disprove everyone of them so stereotypes are not worth mentioning. You should just do your best to learn about him, especially his upbringing, character and future plans. Of course he should be learning about you as well!

If the relationship progresses (lasts several months), I'd make more of an effort to learn about where he's from. I'm Nigerian, but raised in America and I still make an effort to be like know if the man was raised in Aba, Lagos or PH, and what was it like for him. See how he relates to his family, especially siblings. Discuss topics of importance to you. The usual relationship stuff. You might want to read this forum more to see what (mostly) young, unmarred Naijas are talking about. But, again, don't stereotype or assume. Ask him questions!

Please ignore all the rubbish and negativity that you've read on here and elsewhere about Nigerian women. Those stereotypes are just as useless as the ones for Jamaican/Carribean/Island women. We're all people, abi? Nigerian women will be just as jealous as Jamaican women in the opposite scenario & I know from experience, ya feel me? Much to the contrary if you have any Nigerian female friends you might find yourself having fun experimenting with recipes for your honey and picking up some Nigerian slang/pidgin to show off for & giggle with your honey. wink

If your going to a Nigerian party or something ask him the best way to be respectful [/b]so you don't do anything to turn anyone off from Jump Street. Examples: handing food w/ left hand, etc. etc. Might seem silly but differences make the world go around. Try your best to be comfortable. [b]I gleam from your post that you are thinking of him as "exotic" or very different. Well, please abandon this thought. He may be different but he is from Earth and so are you. So if you dine w/ his friends don't be afraid or intimidated. If you do this you might come off as snobby - as many shy people unfortunately do - then people/women will dislike you. If someone gossips, ignore them. Everyone knows, gossip doesn't mean much. In addition, African/Nigerian women won't come off as overly friendly at first. It's not our way. (Men are that way too but not with women for obvious reasons.) Don't let it get to you. In college, some Nigeria chicks tried to give me a hard time b/c they thought I was "janded" for lack of a better word. I paid their sad attempt at a rebuff not attn and now the same girls call ME to go out & not the other way around.

Finally, avoid the classic "white girl mistake". This is when a nice young lady who happens to be white approaches "you" (in this case you is a black young lady) to be friends. The white lady is very nice and asks questions etc. etc. She seems friendly but something about the conversation is always a bit off. . . the convo is stinted and contrived. Finally, like the 3rd time you talk to her, for whatever reason she's like "M---- I just want you to know my boyfriend is black." And so you look at her, confused, b/c what the Bleep do you care, you didn't even know she had a boyfriend and so you say, "O.K" and she's like "I'm glad you can accept that." And again you look at her like a mental patient b/c she's acting like one. And from then on whenever she sees you, she waves like a maniac b/c your her token black friend that somehow legitmates her relationship w/ a black man.

My point is don't try to throw it up in anyone's face. (I'm sure you're not though. . .) And don't go on a desperate search to be "legit" in the Nigeria community. We're like wolves; we travel in packs. You'll make nice female friends if that's what you want. No worries.

Just have fun and be very honest. Have patience b/c good things come to those who wait.

[center]***Sorry for the lengthy response. I write because I care. kiss***[/center]
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by robby1(m): 4:35am On Mar 25, 2006
ha autmn i think u shld just trust ur boy friend and enjoy the privillages of a nigerian man because they really know how to make a woman feel good. actually i picked intrest in jamicans recently (i like their way of life) so if you can hook me with some [both male and female. (but if u find females only, i dont mind)]. i wll really appreciate it.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by autumn66(f): 4:52am On Mar 25, 2006
Thank you all for your positive responses, I will embrace our similarities and work on our differences. I am actually looking forward to knowing more about the Nigerian culture and hope he can with mine. Peace out
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 2:48pm On Mar 25, 2006
well, as a Nigerian girl, I can tell you that Nigerian men are not "romanitic".They can be the best men on earth, as long as u willin to do anythin they say. They like to be in charge sometimes without even carin 'bout ur feelings, just coz they feel that's what it is to be a "man".
when it comes to cheating, NIGERIAN MEN ARE #1 CHEATS AND LIARS. Yes I said it and won't take back my words!
About our women, they never want to hear that their men r datin 'non-Nigerians'. It's always a problem but if u lucky and they like you, wow! u'll never regret meetin 'em.
for u to date a Nigerian man, you muct be very respectful, know how to cook smiley be very submissive to him. If u can do all these and believe all his lies as well, then u'll have the best relationship ever.

Love to ya but plz be careful with NIGERIAN MEN and I mean it. Most of the time they're with you, coz of what they can get from you.
I may not have sounded encouraging but gal, ya need to hear the truth aii?
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by mamaput(f): 4:21pm On Mar 25, 2006
They are just like nigerians , their women too.
But i think their women are a bit stronger sha.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:10am On Mar 26, 2006
@ Radiant
y you go yarn dis, e be like say you dunn play mugu one 2 many timez, co ya?
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Idekeson(m): 1:11pm On Mar 26, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

@ Radiant
y you go yarn this, e be like say you dunn play mugu one 2 many timez, co ya?

You can bet on that. A girl spurned.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by glodave(f): 4:37pm On Mar 27, 2006
My dear
nigeria guys are sweet, caring, and fun to be with. u are luckkkkkkkkkkkky  girl smiley smiley
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:30am On Mar 28, 2006
glodave:

My dear
nigeria guys are sweet, caring, and fun to be with. u are luckkkkkkkkkkkky girl smiley smiley

well said glodave, where in Jos are u Located?
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by larger20(m): 2:31am On Mar 28, 2006
josboy are u trying to be smart on her wink
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 12:29am On Mar 29, 2006
Mr Jos, if lovin someone means playin mugu then i guess I did play one. But i still shout it, Nigerian men are only good to a woman if she can believe all his lies and be under his feet.That's d only way a gurl can fully enjoy 'em. Tho' I want to marry a naija guy no doubt but i must confess dat 80% of 'em are ( can't find d right word,) brb tongue
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:35am On Mar 29, 2006
I beg to differ, There are good and bad people in every ethnic race
I would like to believe that there are more Good nigerian guyz that bad ones
I know for a fact Nigerian Men are not Abusive (Physically and MEntally), Abi?
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 12:44am On Mar 29, 2006
abeg stop talkin like ya don't know better. neway guess u tryna defend ur kinda personality. Don't even make me take dis to another level!
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:51am On Mar 29, 2006
[
Radiant:

abeg stop talkin like ya don't know better. neway guess u trying to defend your kind of personality. Don't even make me take this to another level!
My kind, wetin be my kind of personality
You said you want to marry Naija guy abi, now u tell this girl Naija guyz no be Good. That one no be conradiction
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by chinani(f): 1:15am On Mar 29, 2006
Radiant:

abeg stop talkin like ya don't know better. neway guess u trying to defend your kind of personality. Don't even make me take this to another level!
Maybe that's a compliment. Seriously. Most people project their feelings/fears/actions etc. onto other people (esp. w/ similar characteristics like race, gender, religion, etc.) For instance, cheaters are convinced that ALL people cheat. And conversly, honest people are usually the most trusting, even when they shouldn't be. undecided So by that logic/phl, the fact that you think that *Naija* guys are goodies says something about how you live your life & the company you keep. Well if that's true. Da alu. Keep it up b/c what you put out, does come back. And that's real. Peace.
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Seun(m): 1:25am On Mar 29, 2006
Tho' I want to marry a naija guy no doubt but i must confess that 80% of 'em are ( can't find d right word,) brb Tongue

They are male chauvinist pigs who believe that women are inferior to them!
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 1:31am On Mar 29, 2006
sayin I want to marry a naija guy don't mean y'all r good. helloooooo I would rather advice a Naija gal to marry a naija guy than advice a foreigner who prolly thinks u guys r Angels Angels my ass
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 1:36am On Mar 29, 2006
Seun, thank u jare
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:02am On Mar 29, 2006
@ Radiant
I'm not an Angel I'm a Gentlemen  grin grin grin
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 2:11am On Mar 29, 2006
u better be one tongue grin it's all gud
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:14am On Mar 29, 2006
@ Radiant
Sorta off topic: What is the Personality of the Nigerian Female, and it has to be as vague as the inferences u made about us MEN tongue
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by Radiant(f): 2:29am On Mar 29, 2006
Mr Jos, y u on my case? u know very well that Nigerian women are one of the best women men can marry apart from dem Indians n Muslims too who would never kill an ant unless they're told to do so grin A Nigerian woman will lay her life for her husband w/out lookin back though most of 'em could be very materialistic and mischievious but otherwise, Naija women 4 life!!!!! Ain't no controversies 'bout dat smiley
Re: Jamaican Female Dating A Nigerian: Advice by chinani(f): 2:36am On Mar 29, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

@ Radiant
Sorta off topic: What is the Personality of the Nigerian Female, and it has to be as vague as the inferences u made about us MEN tongue
I don't know. . .well maybe I have an idea. . .start a thread & find out. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Husband Has Sex With Me While I Sleep / How To Tell When A Girl Just Had Sex / Eat My Pussy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.