Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria (39249 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by okooyinbo(m): 7:22pm On Jun 01, 2011
Those (NIGERIANS) who can write and read in english only are actually ILLITERATES. If you can not read, write, and communicate in your mother language, you are not LITERATE. Hence, a substantial proportion of the Nigerian populace are BLOODY civilians ehm ehm I meant ILLITERATES. Pelu gbogbo Harvard ati OXbridge won, ALAIMOKAN ni won. Awon akotileta eru Oyinbo. E o tile jo mi rara, awa ti a ng s'oko fun Oyinbo lati nkan bi ogun odun.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:17am On Jun 02, 2011
^^
Oya tunmo signesho si ede yoruba grin
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Dede1(m): 7:33pm On Jun 02, 2011
@OP

I guess your ignorance could be pardoned since you do not know the meaning of education. You still can redeem your self from this public embarrassment by rephrasing the title of the post. By the way, the first education anybody received is via mother when she directed a newly born baby to the ni-pple of her br.east.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by kasiem(m): 10:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
Whats the fuss all about? Education without success(money) is rubbish, cos u'll be subjected to lowest strata of life.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by lepasharon(f): 4:21am On Jun 07, 2011
Yes we are!We full abroad! grin
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by oyekunle1: 3:05pm On May 18, 2013
AjanleKoko: ^^
Oya tunmo signesho si ede yoruba grin
Bu owo lu iwe. Now tell me how you'll say "E ku ile" wit ur girama-geesi
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by MrsChima1(f): 4:19pm On May 18, 2013
There are a huge influx of educated Yorubas but doesn't mean anything other than those that are educated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by biafransoul: 3:56pm On Jun 23, 2013
Sisikill: Hi hagree with this topic. Yorubas hare the most heducated of hall the tribes hin Nigeria. The way they talk his sweet hin my hears, when they come to my ouse, I like to sit down on my cusin siar hand liszen to them talk hall day, hespecially when we have sicken. . . fried sicken not roasted and minerals.

Hour talks range from Hintellectual like the philosophy of Haristotle hand Enything with Harithmetic to the Hordinary like Harmani, Esh & Ehm dezigns. Hi can't cunt the amunt of time they make me laugh with their himpressive knowledge hof hall they know.

They know Heverything, Heverything I say!

Ow Hi love the Yorubas.  kiss kiss kiss kiss

Lol.... Una no go kill me for this Lagos
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 21, 2013
Jarus: I have been seeing this topic for some days but I decided not to contribute, as I see it as another version of the ubiquitous ethnic jingoism that is fast becoming the hallmark of Nairaland.

However, if objectively done, I don't think there is anything wrong in commenting on which is the most educated tribe in Nigeria, inasmuch as abusive words are not used.

In this light here is my take on this topic, based on experience, observations and facts I know:

1. Yoruba are the most educated people in Nigeria closely followed by Igbo. My sole criteria here is percentage that are schooled, and got to higher academic levels.
2, Hausa are also coming up. With the current trend, they may close the gap in the next 50 years. But definitely can't overtake Yoruba.
3, Despite the fact that more Yoruba are schooled than Igbo, Igbo today matches, if not ahead of, Yoruba in terms of world-class scholars.
Igbo seems to be producing more World-class scholars than Yoruba in recent times. In the literary world for example, Soyinka is more world-class than any other Nigerian, but if we give Soyinka first position, the next 3 or 4 positions will be taken by Igbos in Achebe, Ekwensi etc. Honourable mention to the north's Abubakar Gimba.
In Economics, the nation's finests are also Igbo in Soludo,Okonjo Iweala,ezekweli etc, although Yorubaman Sam Aluko was the reference point in Economic scholarship in the 70's through 80's. Today, Igbos rule.

What of Emegwali? Do Yorubas have a match for him? Chimamanda, much as I hate her, is another rep for Igbo.

So let me conclude by saying while Yoruba value education more than any other tribe and are ready to spend their last penny to get their children educated, head to head Igbo beats any other tribe in terms of world class brains.

PS: I'm a proud but detribalized Yoruba. But I don't let tribal sentiments override my analysis. Most times, I've had to defend the Hausas on NL , not because I'm one of them but because most of their critics, Deepzone and Queenisha in particular, do so without objectivity.

How time flies! I made this post 5 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 11:38pm On Jan 01, 2014
I believe it, thanks to the foresight of Awolowo in establishing free education in the Yoruba land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by BekeeBuAgbara: 3:55am On Aug 08, 2014
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by BekeeBuAgbara: 4:22am On Aug 08, 2014
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 08, 2014
well, I googled it, but i'm disappointed and irritated to see that it seems yourba people keep posting this claim all over the internet, yet the sites never have data to back it up. such as in the first three results on google:
https://www.facebook.com/TheYorubaPeople/posts/318019418304053

https://www.nairaland.com/742947/most-educated-tribe-nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/89470/yorubas-most-educated-tribe-nigeria/1

This last one (http://www.ajuju.net/cgi-bin/page.pl?b=people&bn=4&m=9) shows exactly what happens all the time

Chidi asked: which tribe is the most educated?

Adebodun Toyeeb adeyemi replied: The Yoruba

while Ojukwu Chibike replied: The Igbo
each believeng their own tribe to be the most educated, out of nothing more than whims and not fact.

@op, please change your topic to a question; it's irritating to see a claim which is not backed up being presented as fact. whether or not it's the yoruba, igbo, hausa, or others claiming the same thing.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ugochima30: 5:28pm On Jan 10, 2015
THE IGBOS ARE NOW THE MOST EDUCATED TRIBE.

SEE REASONS AND FACTS FOLLOWS

ok,lets kindly just be honest for once ok. yes of course yorubas were once most educated tribe in nigeria when the war ended,as at 70s and 80s where yourubas ,when the igbos lost the war and AWOLOWO gave them 50 pounds to start life again, after their millions in bank/abandon properties of ibgos and never retrieve them and he declare free education only for yourubas, but the igbos entered trading but now in 90s and 2000s the igbos took over from yourubas as most educated tribe in Nigeria ok. according to NYSC statistics and MINISTRY OF EDUCATION STATISTICS list every year and JAMB list AND WAEC list ok, IT IS THE IGBOS ARE MOST EDUCATED TRIBE BOTH HOME AND ABROAD.and NO SCHOOL IN NIGERIA U WILL NOT SEE IGBO STUDENTS BUT HOW MANY SCHOOL U CAN SEE YOURUBAS,EVEN IN OVERSEAS/ABROAD THE IGBOS KEEP ON INCREASING IN STATISTICS MORE THAN OTHER TRIBES.
SO IS NOW CLEAR FOR US TO KNOW THE TRUTH OK.

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:21am On Jan 12, 2015
Igbo suffered after the war and Yoruba took over and enriched themselves both in education and the corporate field. The indigenization policy happened,right after the war and Awolowo made sure yoruba bought everything. Ever since then the yoruba has continue to leap from that fortune and the Igbo suffered and we are still suffering. Yoruba has a solid educational foundation they inherited from Awolowo that put them ahead of others and also they own lagos and 70% of the investments. They have access to the sea and a large expanse of land for agriculture. The Yoruba tribe is very blessed with their rich culture which they are ever proud to showcase and defend,while the Igbo are ashamed of their culture and will rather dress like a yoruba than Igb. We Igbo made some bad choices and paid dearly for it and we are still paying for it. We should stop competing with yoruba because they are clearly ahead of us,rather we should be working to rebuild our land and heal our people. We need to love ourselves more and our stars will shine.

Please stop hate and tribalism!
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ishar(f): 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2015
kojeiwa:

I heard that the yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?

I am not saying it because i am yoruba. I am Edo as a matter of fact.

Any documentated facts?
Beliefs like this should be based on facts and documentation. Seen none, heard none.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ROYALD(m): 5:36am On Mar 06, 2015

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ROYALD(m): 5:37am On Mar 06, 2015
MORE

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ROYALD(m): 5:54am On Mar 06, 2015
kojeiwa:

I heard that the yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?

I am not saying it because i am yoruba. I am Edo as a matter of fact.

Any documentated facts?

Igbo is the most educated tribe in Nigeria with facts statistics + Education click on Education and download the pdf document one by one good luck

For record purposes only. http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/nbslibrary/sector-statistics/sector-statistics
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 06, 2015
Igbos:Creative/Economic Intelligence
Edos:Crafty/Tactical Intelligence(Common Sense)
Yorubas:Scholarly Intelligence(Book Smarts)
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Ijeobii: 5:27pm On Oct 14, 2015
NRIPRIEST:
Igbo suffered after the war and Yoruba took over and enriched themselves both in education and the corporate field. The indigenization policy happened,right after the war and Awolowo made sure yoruba bought everything. Ever since then the yoruba has continue to leap from that fortune and the Igbo suffered and we are still suffering. Yoruba has a solid educational foundation they inherited from Awolowo that put them ahead of others and also they own lagos and 70% of the investments. They have access to the sea and a large expanse of land for agriculture. The Yoruba tribe is very blessed with their rich culture which they are ever proud to showcase and defend,while the Igbo are ashamed of their culture and will rather dress like a yoruba than Igb. We Igbo made some bad choices and paid dearly for it and we are still paying for it. We should stop competing with yoruba because they are clearly ahead of us,rather we should be working to rebuild our land and heal our people. We need to love ourselves more and our stars will shine.

You are a LIAR, Igbos are not ashamed of their culture, I'm a very proud Igbo are dress like an Igbo woman any day. Yorubas are just noise makers and love to seek attention with their flamboyant life style. Back to the question, Igbos are the most and better educated, proven by facts
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Ijeobii: 5:34pm On Oct 14, 2015
hhon, no tribe is more educated than another tribe. . .each individuals decide to be educated or not!!!! literacy is not based on tribes but on each person's effort.
like in U.S. . .you say a black person is smarter than a Spanish person

You must be from a dumb tribe that's why you made such a dumb comment
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 14, 2015
Jarus:

How time flies! I made this post 5 years ago.

How time flies! It's almost 2.5 years I made this remembrance post too.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by tonychristopher: 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2015
NRIPRIEST:

Efulefu par excellence

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ROYALD(m): 7:02pm On Oct 17, 2015
Igbo is the most educated tribe in Nigeria with facts statistics + Education click on Education and download the pdf document one by one good luck

For record purposes only. http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/nbslibrary/sector-statistics/sector-statistics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ROYALD(m): 5:09pm On Oct 23, 2015
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by natasha: 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2015
Pls can sum1 teach me an oriki for my boo please....and the meaning as well. I would like 2 suprise him with. He is yoruba
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by MRSALT: 2:44am On Oct 25, 2015
Now the question which tribe is the educated is now answered. Let those lagging behind wake up and those already in front keep it up.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by leederrty1997: 10:03am On Oct 25, 2015
I think so......
For Nigerian histories, tourism, culture and tradition, legends, lifestyle in the 70s and current affairs quiz, visit www.oldnaija. and thank me later.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by natasha: 11:37am On Mar 04, 2016
Ekun oko iyawon oya niso loke bareke - can someone please interpret this statement.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 04, 2016
Generally speaking, Yorubas are the most ignorant tribe in Nigeria.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by GermanPoison(m): 7:53pm On Oct 05, 2018
willy4:
Don't listen to those cocoa planters, immediately the cocoa became worthless their means of acquiring western Education nearly end, they turned their anger toward N-Delta, because of oil they want to strangle me.
Yoruba state are more developed than your state with our worthless cocoa, u with ur oil your region is a dead zone mention ur state n let me give u an answer and am sure u 're igbo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo’s Wife Matriculates (Photos) / The Eight Most Powerful Women Inside The Aláàfin Of Ọyọ’s Palace That You Never

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.