Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria (39248 Views)

Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Germannig: 5:00pm On Jan 02, 2008
ifyalways:

why is the poster of this thread always starting threads that would bring nothing but trival war,hate and confusion ?

@ topic nigerians are educated.ciao

Igbo and Yoruba are clearly the two most educated group of Nigerians. These two are good depending on the field of study. Currently, I do not think one of them is significantly better than the other on overall basis.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 5:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
Germannig:

Igbo and Yoruba are clearly the two most educated group of Nigerians. These two are good depending on the field of study. Currently, I do not think one of them is significantly better than the other on overall basis.
i have seen educated ijaws,itsekiris,igbo,tivs,nupes,idomas,yoruba,hausa,fulani infact every tribe in nigeria.
i have seen uneducated igbos,hausa,yoruba ,idomas,tivs,edos,urhobos,ijaws and what have you.

as for being most educated,i dont know and wudnt even want to know.there is no prove yet that any tribe is more educated than any,so till then ciao.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by oziomatv(m): 5:30pm On Jan 02, 2008
goodnight and leave the thread for us.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Germannig: 5:41pm On Jan 02, 2008
There is a difference between most (quantity) educated and better (quality) educated.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 5:45pm On Jan 02, 2008
Germannig:

There is a difference between most (quantity) educated and better (quality) educated.
so who is most educated and least educated ?
who is better educated and badly educated ?
where has it been proven?

perharps i have been moving with educated hausa's and non-educated igbos but that wud never make me to say without prove that igbos are not educated or that hausas are the most educated.

@topic i still wait for the day someone wud come up with a proven statistics that one tribe is more/better educated than any. kiss
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by oziomatv(m): 6:13pm On Jan 02, 2008
some people contradict issues only to accumulate number of posts,
     while some people make senses to defend their stands.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 6:21pm On Jan 02, 2008
some go about posting rubbish to boost their online name.
others type with their brain left in the trash can. kiss
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 02, 2008
ifyalways:

@topic i still wait for the day someone would come up with a proven statistics that one tribe is more/better educated than any. kiss

girl, that is exactly what am waiting for too. . . why do ppl go aroung posting threads like this when it can't be proven? undecided
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 6:25pm On Jan 02, 2008
sweetie happy new year. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by oziomatv(m): 6:27pm On Jan 02, 2008
taxi , please,
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2008
ifyalways:

sweetie happy new year. kiss kiss kiss

SAME TO YOU. . THANKS kiss kiss
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by topkin(m): 12:16am On Jan 09, 2008
There are no proven facts or staticstics to back up claims. I think all tribes have a fair share of educated people. Yorubas may seem more but it's not proven.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by cooldude62(m): 12:23am On Jan 09, 2008
top_kin:

There are no proven facts or staticstics to back up claims. I think all tribes have a fair share of educated people. Yorubas may seem more but it's not proven.
is it not obvious its yorubas?
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by senetee(m): 11:13am On Jan 09, 2008
@ifyalways
others type with their brain left in the trash can.
LMAO
Chei! ! !
Biko, how is that done? The surgery needed to have re-insertable brain must must a fortune ooo! ! ! grin grin grin
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by senetee(m): 11:16am On Jan 09, 2008
@ifyalways
others type with their brain left in the trash can.
LMAO
Chei! ! !
Biko, how is that done? The surgery needed to have 're-insertable brains' must cost a fortune ooo! ! ! grin grin grin
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by ibrahiem(m): 3:14pm On Jan 09, 2008
supportedand comfirmed
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by noetic(m): 3:42pm On Jan 09, 2008
@topic
you dont need any documented fact.

Awo practiced free, qualitative and compulsory basic primary education, that gave us an edge over all other regions then.

and now, na southwest get schools past. and it is here that emphasis is mostly laid on education
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by olydim: 1:23pm On Jan 10, 2008
noetic:

@topic
you don't need any documented fact.

Awo practiced free, qualitative and compulsory basic primary education, that gave us an edge over all other regions then.

and now, na southwest get schools past. and it is here that emphasis is mostly laid on education

Continue living in the past glory. I get am before no be property'', as the saying goes. I hope you know that. Check the JAMB (UME and Poly JAMB) records. It is available on the net. That You have more private schools means nothing. Find out how many non-Yorubas are in those private schools. And, like someone said earlier, quantity is not the same as quality. With the bad English you have written here, it is not surprising that you guys are all quantity and no quality
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by olydim: 1:26pm On Jan 10, 2008
Who are the Yorubas getting educated in recent times? Is it the same bunch of touts (agberos) who roam the streets of Oshodi, Isale Eko, Agege, Ibadan, and Iyana Ipaja?
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by willy4: 12:20am On Jan 11, 2008
Don't listen to those cocoa planters, immediately the cocoa became worthless their means of acquiring western Education nearly end, they turned their anger toward N-Delta, because of oil they want to strangle me.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Germannig: 12:15pm On Jan 14, 2008
A University of My Own
Guest Columnist with Wale Adebanwi, 01.14.2008

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Trust the Nigerian. Our sheer capacity to seize any sublime idea and grotesquely trivialise it! In every sphere of life, there is nothing serious or sacred, solemn or fundamental, whose essence and ethos the Nigerian cannot violate and destroy. Even religion. But here, no news any longer! Every fraudster in town whose talent is not as great as to be successful, say in advance fee fraud, or has no access to government funds, would set up his own church and use that to defraud both unsuspecting and even suspecting seekers for a good life. And how many Nigerians are not so seeking, given the immense poverty that pervades the society.
When the “IMF logic” of deregulation travelled from the economic sphere in Nigeria to the social, the universities were declared free of government monopoly. In other climes, and among a different sort of people, this would have been embraced as an opportunity to release the genius in society which would lead to the building of great institutions of learning, research and leadership training. The experience, as you would expect here, has been different.
First it started with older Christian religious institutions, some of which were becoming richer than even state governments, and was soon followed by “privately owned” Pentecostal denominations where a single, charismatic individual, very much in the transposed image of the African despot, wields power and spiritual authority. Before long, private moralities in the guise of Pentecostal rectitude started to prevail over intellectual nourishment in these so-called “universities”, which I prefer to call private stations. 
The “universities” were in some cases merely an extension of the ego of the African Pentecostal Big Man, the man in whom God has not only invested authority, but in whom it pleases God to repose exclusive wisdom, spiritual and temporal. As might be expected, the old moralities of the Middle-Ages which were more celebrated than observed in the pre-1980s Nigerian high schools – particularly those with boarding houses – were re-imposed in the private stations.
New moralities that came in tow with new-age Pentecostalism, as markedly different from the “indigenous” forms that were the province of the early Aladura form of Pentecostalism, were also added. In some of the stations, because the Church owning them observes “no meat” policy, vegetarianism is imported into the Holy Bible and imposed on the students. In others, because “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” – except, of course, the spiritual leader – thou shall not use mobile phones. And, on the pain of death, more or less, these rules are rigidly applied. In one, those who break the spiritual covenant are promptly excommunicated. Any female student, even past 18, who gets her hymen broken, is ejected from the province of eternal grace, which the premises of the Church/“university” constitute.
But even these excesses were reconcilable, for some, with the absolute decline in social moralities and the descent into an abysmal social hell that has been the experience in Nigeria in the last two decades or more. But often times, the religious actors, that is most of those entrepreneurs who create jobs for themselves and others in the name of religion, mirror this decline in morality and even intellect, than the much-accused, much-abused, and much-violated contemporary youth. Anyway, that is just by the way.
What has brought home that national ailment, our incapacity as a people to treat any zone as safe from perversions and trivialisation is fully manifesting itself in the craze for private “universities”. People now wake up on the wrong side of the bed and head for the National University Commission, that curiously obliging institution, with an application letter. By evening, to dramatise the tragedy, they have, safely tucked in their cabinet, an approval to open a university of their own.
When recently I was engaged in a discussion with fellow academics on this scandalous trend that is further confirming that we have no future as a collective people, I wondered what the statistics, infrastructure, and academic personnel, not to talk of resources that my own state of Osun, has to warrant the presence of about seven “universities” there. Apart from the Obafemi Awolowo University, the Ladoke Akintola University, jointly-owned with Oyo State, has a campus there, I was told. Then the state governor, desiring his own “visitor” status, created another university for the state. This is apart from the one owned by the Baptists in Iwo, Bowen. Then there is one at Ikeji-Arakeji – don’t ask where that is – owned by another Church, called Joseph Babalola University. There is another one called Fountain. I was told about yet another one which name I now conveniently forget.
But while we were at that, someone who listened in to our discussion volunteered that Ogun State has much more than that. Which reminded me of an earlier conversation with Dr. Said Adejumobi, the former Lagos State University don, who counted the number of university sign-boards he encountered during a trip between Lagos and Ibadan and concluded that we were an unserious people. The trouble is not, of course, with the number. Given our objective reality, the number is only a reflection of a deep malaise.
Trust the Nigerian senior academic. Our professors are climbing over one another to head these new private stations. And these days, the new Vice Chancellor is not the stately and deliberate Professor Jacob Ade Ajayi, he is not the prudish and widely celebrated Professor Kenneth Dike, the new vice chancellor is, with few exceptions, a mirror of the Pentecostal lords; boisterous and brash and SUV-driving; complete, on occasion, with another professor as his Chief of Staff!
The full complement of this absurdity is emerging. During a recent visit to my own “old” university, the one and only Ibadan, in a conversation with a senior colleague in the front yard of the Social Science Faculty, we saw a professor drive by in an SUV, on which Nigerians call imposed a generic name of “Jeep”, my host then disclosed that the vehicle was given to his colleague for a university that was in the works – yet to be registered! If that was not bad enough, he added that a couple who just made a kill at the Stock Exchange came to meet another professor friend to ask him to prepare the modalities for owning a university of their own. At that point, I gave up. A friend who believes that this country is a comedy for those who think, accused me of giving up out of envy; because, he claimed, I could not muster enough funds, as they say, to start my own university.
Here then, to those who can help; I want a university of my own.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by willy4: 2:03pm On Jan 14, 2008
Germannig:

A University of My Own
Guest Columnist with Wale Adebanwi, 01.14.2008

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Trust the Nigerian. Our sheer capacity to seize any sublime idea and grotesquely trivialise it! In every sphere of life, there is nothing serious or sacred, solemn or fundamental, whose essence and ethos the Nigerian cannot violate and destroy. Even religion. But here, no news any longer! Every fraudster in town whose talent is not as great as to be successful, say in advance fee fraud, or has no access to government funds, would set up his own church and use that to defraud both unsuspecting and even suspecting seekers for a good life. And how many Nigerians are not so seeking, given the immense poverty that pervades the society.
When the “IMF logic” of deregulation travelled from the economic sphere in Nigeria to the social, the universities were declared free of government monopoly. In other climes, and among a different sort of people, this would have been embraced as an opportunity to release the genius in society which would lead to the building of great institutions of learning, research and leadership training. The experience, as you would expect here, has been different.
First it started with older Christian religious institutions, some of which were becoming richer than even state governments, and was soon followed by “privately owned” Pentecostal denominations where a single, charismatic individual, very much in the transposed image of the African despot, wields power and spiritual authority. Before long, private moralities in the guise of Pentecostal rectitude started to prevail over intellectual nourishment in these so-called “universities”, which I prefer to call private stations.
The “universities” were in some cases merely an extension of the ego of the African Pentecostal Big Man, the man in whom God has not only invested authority, but in whom it pleases God to repose exclusive wisdom, spiritual and temporal. As might be expected, the old moralities of the Middle-Ages which were more celebrated than observed in the pre-1980s Nigerian high schools – particularly those with boarding houses – were re-imposed in the private stations.
New moralities that came in tow with new-age Pentecostalism, as markedly different from the “indigenous” forms that were the province of the early Aladura form of Pentecostalism, were also added. In some of the stations, because the Church owning them observes “no meat” policy, vegetarianism is imported into the Holy Bible and imposed on the students. In others, because “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” – except, of course, the spiritual leader – thou shall not use mobile phones. And, on the pain of death, more or less, these rules are rigidly applied. In one, those who break the spiritual covenant are promptly excommunicated. Any female student, even past 18, who gets her hymen broken, is ejected from the province of eternal grace, which the premises of the Church/“university” constitute.
But even these excesses were reconcilable, for some, with the absolute decline in social moralities and the descent into an abysmal social hell that has been the experience in Nigeria in the last two decades or more. But often times, the religious actors, that is most of those entrepreneurs who create jobs for themselves and others in the name of religion, mirror this decline in morality and even intellect, than the much-accused, much-abused, and much-violated contemporary youth. Anyway, that is just by the way.
What has brought home that national ailment, our incapacity as a people to treat any zone as safe from perversions and trivialisation is fully manifesting itself in the craze for private “universities”. People now wake up on the wrong side of the bed and head for the National University Commission, that curiously obliging institution, with an application letter. By evening, to dramatise the tragedy, they have, safely tucked in their cabinet, an approval to open a university of their own.
When recently I was engaged in a discussion with fellow academics on this scandalous trend that is further confirming that we have no future as a collective people, I wondered what the statistics, infrastructure, and academic personnel, not to talk of resources that my own state of Osun, has to warrant the presence of about seven “universities” there. Apart from the Obafemi Awolowo University, the Ladoke Akintola University, jointly-owned with Oyo State, has a campus there, I was told. Then the state governor, desiring his own “visitor” status, created another university for the state. This is apart from the one owned by the Baptists in Iwo, Bowen. Then there is one at Ikeji-Arakeji – don’t ask where that is – owned by another Church, called Joseph Babalola University. There is another one called Fountain. I was told about yet another one which name I now conveniently forget.
But while we were at that, someone who listened in to our discussion volunteered that Ogun State has much more than that. Which reminded me of an earlier conversation with Dr. Said Adejumobi, the former Lagos State University don, who counted the number of university sign-boards he encountered during a trip between Lagos and Ibadan and concluded that we were an unserious people. The trouble is not, of course, with the number. Given our objective reality, the number is only a reflection of a deep malaise.
Trust the Nigerian senior academic. Our professors are climbing over one another to head these new private stations. And these days, the new Vice Chancellor is not the stately and deliberate Professor Jacob Ade Ajayi, he is not the prudish and widely celebrated Professor Kenneth Dike, the new vice chancellor is, with few exceptions, a mirror of the Pentecostal lords; boisterous and brash and SUV-driving; complete, on occasion, with another professor as his Chief of Staff!
The full complement of this absurdity is emerging. During a recent visit to my own “old” university, the one and only Ibadan, in a conversation with a senior colleague in the front yard of the Social Science Faculty, we saw a professor drive by in an SUV, on which Nigerians call imposed a generic name of “Jeep”, my host then disclosed that the vehicle was given to his colleague for a university that was in the works – yet to be registered! If that was not bad enough, he added that a couple who just made a kill at the Stock Exchange came to meet another professor friend to ask him to prepare the modalities for owning a university of their own. At that point, I gave up. A friend who believes that this country is a comedy for those who think, accused me of giving up out of envy; because, he claimed, I could not muster enough funds, as they say, to start my own university.
Here then, to those who can help; I want a university of my own.
Oooohoooo,
[b][/b]Universiy of WillyWilly Abeokuta
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by MCUsman(m): 2:31pm On Mar 08, 2008
I attest that the Yoruba are the most educated tribe in sub sahara african.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by brownbonno(m): 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2008
Now i can see why WAEC board is have a yearly TLC.
The poster question bi "I heard that the yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria. Is that true?"
Which answer did he get ? OP(out of point) answers.
Imagine if some of you be president of naija and dey ask u simple question like this,na so una wo begin mis yan.
Thank God i do write letter to Nigeria Senate,make them try make law to make WAEC certificate dey expire after 5 years.I wo try lobby well well,if them grant am.Most of u when say him/her be university graduate,you go write resit for WAEC.If u yan as u dey yan 4 here,them withdraw your certificates.
Make everybody ready for revision.

Na Yoruba get the highest number of Professors for Naija(Ondo state to be precise)
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Arnold1(m): 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2008
It is a tie between the yorubas and igbos. The South South and Middle belt folks are up there too,
but it's still a tie between yorubas and igbos. I do agree with brownbono, Yorubas
do have the most professors in Nigeria.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 4:05pm On Mar 08, 2008
Nigeria has the most professors per number of people,

Yorubas have the largest population, so they hv the most profs.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 08, 2008
Gamine:

Nigeria has the most professors per number of people,

Yorubas have the largest population, so they hv the most profs.

let awusa people hear you.
didn't you see the results of the last census where Kano had more people than Lagos? shocked shocked

I hear they count their livestock as humans but that's for another thread

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 11:38pm On Mar 08, 2008
lol
ok oh lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

im talking Naija+Diaspora
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Phemour: 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2008
i think so
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by Ezinwannem: 6:04am On Aug 31, 2008
@Gammie. datz a very ilogical conclusion right dere. Yorubas r just a little bit higher than igbos and even if the margin is big, it still cannot justify as it been da reason why they have da most professors.

Most igbos esp. our grandfather and 2 sum extend father's generation entered into business because of umemployement which have developed south eastern states 2 a great extend, take Nnewi 4 an example

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by DeepZone: 8:51pm On Aug 31, 2008
There is no clear cut line on this as Yorubas and ibos have a thin margin in academics. But, i think the yorubas will dominate in business related fields while the ibos are mostly for physical sciences and Engineering. You cannot prove that Ibos and Yorubas are the most educated in Nigeria like somebody stated above because their populations are not the same with that of Ijaws, Efiks, Itsekiri's etc. I use to think that Yorubas are the most educated until [b]Ibime [/b]gave me an insight with proof in one thread I cannot remember again. Is that not why we are here. I think it's more advantageous if you are not voted as the most educated so your youths can work harder to go on top. May be we Yorubas are still living in the past glory thinking the ibos are mostly uneducated traders without putting into consideration that most of those traders are educated and the uneducated ones among them are like the area boys in yorubaland and almajiris in the north. If I have an option, I'D take an uneducated trader anyday over the two latter ones.

An area boy is just what he is , a tout. An uneducated ibo trader that is supposed to be on the same class somehow by virtue of his profession, comes into money easily and y'all know what money can do to you, it'll boost your ego and that's why you see some of them in lexus and expensive clothings but the alaye in them will still be glaring even though they are trying so hard to cover it up because they are rich.

Again, I'll prefer an area boy over an almajiri any time any day because alayes work their living.
Re: Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria by romeo(m): 9:29pm On Aug 31, 2008
DeepZone:

There is no clear cut line on this as Yorubas and ibos have a thin margin in academics. But, i think the yorubas will dominate in business related fields while the ibos are mostly for physical sciences and Engineering.

The Igbos are running Naija Economy today!! From big commercial banks, NSE to CBN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Has The Largest Population? / Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo’s Wife Matriculates (Photos) / The Eight Most Powerful Women Inside The Aláàfin Of Ọyọ’s Palace That You Never

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.