Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,122 members, 7,821,847 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? (27249 Views)

How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? / How Reliable Are Mazda Cars? For A Frequent Traveller. / How Reliable Are BMW Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by familyman(m): 3:53pm On Mar 19, 2012
HI GUYS.PLEASE I NEED FROM AN EXPERIENCES POINT OF VIEW, THE RELIABILITY OF VOLVO CARS, AVAILABILITY AND MAINTENANCE COST TOO.
I WOULD APPRECIATE INSIGHTS.TNX
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by soloesco: 2:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
As reliable as NEPA !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Fhemmmy: 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2012
They are as reliable as your maintenance.
The mechanics in Nigeria are good at working on them, the parts are readily available in Nigeria . . . But they hate potholes, which Nigeria is the headquarters of . . .
But if you take care of her, she will serve you well . . . Good Luck
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Benzora(m): 7:14pm On Apr 20, 2012
Volvo is a highly reliable and fuel efficient car. The parts are also readily available and affordable.***** from me.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by sojioguns(m): 10:20am On Apr 27, 2012
What Volvo model are you talking about? I have used a 2005 S60 and in as much as it is the most comfortable sedan I have ever sat in, that car was more expensive to maintain than an Mercedes ML. The parts are not readily available and they are pricey. Premium products all round. I used Mobil 1 engine oil, Toyota TIV transmission fluid (N16,000 per gallon), etc
Then the ECU acts up when the weather is too hot and in traffic.
In conclusion, I enjoyed it while it lasted.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by coolguy2002: 4:39am On Apr 28, 2012
volvo cars?
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Eltonluigi(m): 5:03am On Apr 28, 2012
Why would anybody want a Volvo? I'm not even sure if they still have dealership in Nigeria.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Lexusgs430: 5:44am On Apr 28, 2012
Volvo cars are very comfortable to drive, but the cost of spare parts, is another matter !!! (expensive)

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by folababa: 6:55am On Apr 28, 2012
i drive a XC90, and its the most reliable SUV i have driven in a long time. Its very fuel efficient too. Some of the new parts are available, otherwise i just order them online and get it here in 10 days. They do not like potholes as earlier mentions as the joints and stab linkages fail easily. asides that, the interior is superior to a lot of other Mid-sized SUV. I love it .
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by tpia5: 6:58am On Apr 28, 2012
Lexusgs430: Volvo cars are very comfortable to drive, but the cost of spare parts, is another matter !!! (expensive)

true.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Andrew3(m): 7:20am On Apr 28, 2012
Run for your life. Volvo cars are vampires. They drink 50 liters of fuel
every 2 minutes. grin we had one archaic one that drank 50 liter from festac
to agboju angry

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by owendei(m): 8:48am On Apr 28, 2012
i'ld advice u neva 2 go 4 it. it hates potholes as already observed. consumes fuel. parts nt readily available. @ present i parked an s70 model cos of gear box wahala: d gear box filter is ryt inside it of which nt all mechanics can trace n service or change it, n so it affected d gear box. cant even take it 2 a mechanic again cos most of dem confesd dt a new one wil b beta as nt all mechanics can work on it.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by chucky234(m): 8:50am On Apr 28, 2012
Volvo cars are durable,fuel efficient and parts are readily available at ASPAMDA and you can also order them online at very minimal rates,I used the S90 and it was exceptional as I had to dumped my Mercedes C230 because the Volvo interior is second to none.
Go get one bro and enjoy the comfort that come with a Volvo car,good luck.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by OmawumiMegbele(m): 8:51am On Apr 28, 2012
[size=20pt]old volvos- high fuel consumption, noise, can get it repaired by local mechanics
new volvos- really improved fuel consumption, don't ever give em to local mechanics
[/size]
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by NdidiMartins: 12:08pm On Apr 28, 2012
if it is new models go for it but old one don!t
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by nagoma(m): 12:38pm On Apr 28, 2012
"The Swedish battle tank " reliable anywhere - if you can get and buy the parts.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by infolpf: 2:29pm On Apr 28, 2012
Volvo's can go for several hundred thousand miles, if treated right.
What is "Treated right"? Regular maintenance and good driving, quite simply.
The newer versions are awesome on fuel economy, and the 2102 S60 drives like a dream - solid engineering!
Avoid accidents, parts are expensive. Side view mirrors (plus housing) on the S60? $540 each!!
Follow the Volvo recommended maintenance schedule, and you shall join the league of millions of Volvo loyalists.
TIP - Change the timing belt, tensioner and water pump at approximately every 90K Miles or 5 years, unfailingly!! Perhaps $250 in parts, will save you a lot of headaches later.

Proud Volvo loyalist.
Volvo S60 &
Volvo XC90

3 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by sojioguns(m): 2:33pm On Apr 28, 2012
Like I initially posted, my Volvo S60 still remains the best car I have driven. Bloody comfortable to sit in. (while working well).
The lower arms and bushings fail easily. In the 15 months I drove the car, I replaced them at least 6 times. No engine problems, no mechanical problems, just the issue I raised. Also, the ETM (electronic throttle module) fails, leading the car to go into "limp" mode with an error (reduced engine performance).
The ECM (electronic control module), which is located under the dashboard misbehaves when really hot, giving errors like back door open, dashboard lights go off, gear stops switching, etc.
So if you wanna get the S60, go for at least a 2006 model, which they claim to have fixed these issues.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by eyoiba(m): 4:28pm On Apr 28, 2012
I used to drive S80 but nobody told me before I sold it-at loss after less than 6 months. Very comfortable and lovely interior but I ran when it started developing faults.The parts are scarce and expensive compared to common brands. The gear develops fault at will and complex electronics system makes it very difficult to repair by Nigerian mechanics. The mechanics did not even have a clue most of the time and they ended up messing up the engine. Another problem was frenquent over-heating due to tightly packed engine.I wish I had asked the question you are asking before buying it at that time. Pls don't buy it if is not brand new because you don't know the problem it was given the former owner before he/she decided to sell it. I don't think the makers had sub-saharan Africa in mind when they made Volvo,the new models do not fit into Nigeria at all. Despite all these whahalas, I still like the brand but if I'm going to buy Volvo again it will be a brand new & like a spare car not the one I will be using frequently. My advise is don't buy Volvo if it is not new or your spare car.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by kamikazee0(m): 5:25pm On Apr 28, 2012
@ folababa and anyone who might help
i would very much like to know how you ship the parts. The shipping companies i have used so far have been pretty disappointing. I have been waiting to get parts for my X5 for well over 3 weeks now. The shipping company says it's been shipped, the clearing agent says he doesn't have my package on his manifest. It's so frustrating.
I would very much appreciate it if you could help me with information about any reliable shipping company, preferably one that you have used.

@ Poster
i also have an S80 and like those who have owned Volvos have said, it's a very, very comfy car to drive.
Yes, you need someone really competent to fix them and you should never compromise on them and whatever replacement parts you might need to use. That aside, i love my S80 and will buy another when i let go of the one i have currently.
Volvo 4 life.

If you choose to get one, i favor Naturally Aspirated Engine over the Turbo Charged ones - they are easier and a little cheaper to maintain.

Cheers
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Reference(m): 6:40pm On Apr 28, 2012
::Andrew:::
to agboju angry
[img]
to agboju angry
[/img]
to agboju angry
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Reference(m): 6:57pm On Apr 28, 2012
Once have I spoken, thrice has Nairaland replied. We are on a consensus here. Like my good friend. "Ah no! For Volvo vrrrmmm na 1 gallon". His jalopy gulps more gas than a nitro dragstar.

On a serious note Volvo is an exotic brand in Nigeria with hazy long term survival prospects abroad so tread with caution.

Great car though. Well built.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Meristem: 6:32am On Apr 29, 2012
I have been using the S70 for 3 years.Volvo is solid with drop dead beautiful interior. the Airconditioning is a sweet sensation, quickly attaining the set temperature within seconds...the fastest I have seen. The road handling is goood though it hates potholes and is a bit too heavy for a sedan; maybe because the body panel is among the thickest in the industry grin grin grin. If you love MPG, dont go for a volvo. The mechanics are good though the parts are far from easily available. The worst experience is that the headlamp is "blind"at night and may require modification for good visibility. The cooling fan also stops when you wade through water leading to overheating (U fit dey drive am only in dry season sha! cheesy cheesy cheesy) In fact, it tamed my night crawling as I'm always home before 6 pm grin grin grin. Overall, I'd drive a volvo again. Depends on what you want in a car!
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by infolpf: 7:57am On Apr 29, 2012
kamikazee0: @ folababa and anyone who might help
i would very much like to know how you ship the parts. The shipping companies i have used so far have been pretty disappointing. I have been waiting to get parts for my X5 for well over 3 weeks now. The shipping company says it's been shipped, the clearing agent says he doesn't have my package on his manifest. It's so frustrating.
I would very much appreciate it if you could help me with information about any reliable shipping company, preferably one that you have used.

I use a company called Speedy Messengers, located in Atlanta Georgia, for all my cargo / freight needs. Door to door service, ultra reliable. Speed depends on mode chosen. Delta is fastest (usually 2-3 days), but most expensive. Other airlines usually 14 days. They clear through customs and deliver to your door. You can purchase your items online, have it shipped to your name, care of Speedy Messengers, and arrange with Speedy for further delivery upon payment.

Contact information:
Speedy Messengers
2885 Clairmont Road, NE
Suite C009
Atlanta GA 30329

+1-404-728-0099
+1-678-698-9297

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by VolvoS60(m): 8:05am On Apr 29, 2012
Despite my username, never owned a volvo sad

I think the styling of the 1st generation S60 has got to be among the best I have ever seen.

As some posters have said, volvos have (arguably) the most comfortable seats in the automotive industry. It is rumoured that orthopaedic surgeons cool were part of the design team involved in putting together the seats and general ergonomics of the S60 & S80 series.

What put me off was the problem of maintenance. Volvo forums on the web strongly advise using mechanics who have the VADIS software for diagnostics. Without the software, any attempt at repairs will be a shot in the dark. I have visited DARCARS (they claim to be an authorized Volvo dealer & service centre) on the Badagry expressway but I'm not sure how good they are. It is depressing to read stories such as those of sojioguns (i remember when he was making his enquiries on this forum about getting his S60), owendei and eyoiba. Surely there must be mechanics in Nigeria who have the experience, the know-how and the hardware to fix volvos and other european brands? I have been meaning to open a thread on pain-free car maintenance in Nigeria. Anyone have any practical tips?
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Ikenna351(m): 8:55am On Apr 29, 2012
info@lpf:

I use a company called Speedy Messengers, located in Atlanta Georgia, for all my cargo / freight needs. Door to door service, ultra reliable. Speed depends on mode chosen. Delta is fastest (usually 2-3 days), but most expensive. Other airlines usually 14 days. They clear through customs and deliver to your door. You can purchase your items online, have it shipped to your name, care of Speedy Messengers, and arrange with Speedy for further delivery upon payment.

Contact information:
Speedy Messengers
2885 Clairmont Road, NE
Suite C009
Atlanta GA 30329

+1-404-728-0099
+1-678-698-9297

Please, how do you make the payments online? Through domy account or Paypal? I have tried paypal several times, but it never worked. It appears Nigerians are not given access to paypal. So what means do you use to buy items outside the country & pay online from Nigeria?

Ikenna.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by jeezybuck: 10:16am On Apr 29, 2012
Volvo is a very very strong car, Sound engine, crazy electrical system and its not reliable. The parts are so expensive, You have to fill your tank always. A Tokumbo will only last 1 year max before you turn the mechanics workshop to an Hotel where you car will sleep several days before it get fixed.
I sold it at a loss big loss. DONT GO FOR VOLVO

THE MONEY WEY YOU GO USE CHOP, DO BIG BOY, CARRY FINE BABE NA ONTOP THE MOTO YOU GO SPEND AM PUT

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by antartica(m): 11:09am On Apr 29, 2012
No car is reliable on nigerian death trap roads,not even heavy duty trucks and four wheel drives.The hopeless state of the roads ground vehicles instantly.

Cars are about roads and roads are about cars.If you have good tracks for cars,you don't need cars.Your ability to understand what roads stand for helps you to appreciate the mechanisms of car.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by antartica(m): 11:14am On Apr 29, 2012
Nigerian roads are like safari tracks,you know,car rally in the jungle.Off roads.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by chucky234(m): 1:12pm On Apr 29, 2012
Ikenna351:

Please, how do you make the payments online? Through domy account or Paypal? I have tried paypal several times, but it never worked. It appears Nigerians are not given access to paypal. So what means do you use to buy items outside the country & pay online from Nigeria?

Ikenna.

Credit cards and dom account are your best options,I have been using both for online purchases and its been a roller coaster for years now.
Even GTB Naira mastercard is a sure bet for online payment any day,Paypal will not work for goods to be delivered to Nigerian except you have a US address where the goods will be deliver to first before being ship to Nigeria.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by kamikazee0(m): 2:12pm On Apr 30, 2012
@ info@lpf
Thanks for the contact. I will give them a call.
cheers
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 11:33am On May 31, 2012
No one is actually Talking about the S40..... This thread is actually scary!!! High maintenance cost

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot / Porsche’s First Station Wagon Supercar (Photos) / How To Produce Lubricants In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.