Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? (27246 Views)

How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? / How Reliable Are Mazda Cars? For A Frequent Traveller. / How Reliable Are BMW Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Trac: 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
VolvoS60:
Despite my username, never owned a volvo sad

I think the styling of the 1st generation S60 has got to be among the best I have ever seen.

As some posters have said, volvos have (arguably) the most comfortable seats in the automotive industry. It is rumoured that orthopaedic surgeons cool were part of the design team involved in putting together the seats and general ergonomics of the S60 & S80 series.

What put me off was the problem of maintenance. Volvo forums on the web strongly advise using mechanics who have the VADIS software for diagnostics. Without the software, any attempt at repairs will be a shot in the dark. I have visited DARCARS (they claim to be an authorized Volvo dealer & service centre) on the Badagry expressway but I'm not sure how good they are. It is depressing to read stories such as those of sojioguns (i remember when he was making his enquiries on this forum about getting his S60), owendei and eyoiba. Surely there must be mechanics in Nigeria who have the experience, the know-how and the hardware to fix volvos and other european brands? I have been meaning to open a thread on pain-free car maintenance in Nigeria. Anyone have any practical tips?

Volvo's are easy cars to fix compared to some others. It is a huge problem when you don't understand what you are working with/on; worse even, how the vehicle as a whole operates.

For every car that you are associated with, you have to learn it thoroughly. People just start working on cars without paying the price to understand the core-fundamentals. It is an unforgiving vehicle when you mess things up. It is worse when you begin to "re-engineer" stupidly. VADIS is not necessary to keep your Volvo in operating standards. They are meant for dealerships or Independent Repair Centres and paying annually is serious thousands of dollars. Volvo uses its own tools and many parts have to be ordered from Volvo (as many European cars are). It is a car that isn't for everyone. Some models are problematic or guinea-piggy. This came as a result of the Ford merging. So, certain reVolvolutions should be avoided (referring to year models). On the other hand, some models is nothing but sheer stupidity in design. Logically, the engineering design did not yield much in acceptable practices and had been unproven to be dependable. There was no explanation of how the design inefficiencies were resolved, so reliability sunk because the engine was put in wrongly. I don't think the model is still in production but that was some serious cost setting.

Volvo is an expensive car. Parts are expensive, labour is fairly cheap. An average mechanic cannot work on a Volvo. An experienced European mechanic would averagely get things done without prior knowledge. There aren't much precautions to be aware of besides the standard precautions. A difficult car to work on is a Mercedes Benz. Diagnosing a Mercedes is work and sometimes, you have to sleep over it. The tools will not help you if you lack understanding or experience. Understanding the fuel-loop cycle on and MB gas engine is complicated on its own and this is the tip. If you are stumbling at this point, you aren't getting far in understanding the engine itself because it is heavily integrated with pneumatics or control-systems. This is just combustion. The brake-family is another, then other aspects. Volvo's aren't as complicated but they aren't conventional either. People buy cars and don't consider who will fix them. The "smarter" ones purchase cars and think they can repair them by themselves without spending months learning the vehicle's proper operation and then fixing things when things break.

For liability purposes, many shops will not carry some basic service on a Volvo. Most of the reasons were lack of tools. Some services are dealer-only. Some tools are just the rarest or less-common configuration.

VolvoS60:
Despite my username, never owned a volvo sad

As some posters have said, volvos have (arguably) the most comfortable seats in the automotive industry. It is rumoured that orthopaedic surgeons cool were part of the design team involved in putting together the seats and general ergonomics of the S60 & S80 series.

I never heard of this: what the Volvo engineers said was that the seat styling was gotten from their swedish culture. But we are talking about two different things here. I don't find it hard to believe what you just stated. It is far better and logically explainable than having no clue. The feeling you have after an extended drive cannot be traded for anything. I am referring to a duration of 5 hours of driving. In my experience when I got out of the vehicle, it was as though I got off the couch after watching a 30 minutes format. I was not a bit tired or fatigued in anyway: no stress anywhere. This isn't to be funny - it was a s though you hadn't really done much. It wasn't the ride because it is stiff and ground-hooked. I don't like the headrest - nevertheless, no car has given me such ergonomics on an extended journey as a Volvo has. It is one of the vehicle manufacturers that I will recommend to people based on their certain factors.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by fm7070: 9:33am On Oct 02, 2012
Nice thread, but we need live experience from volvo users.
I spoke with a volvo user yesterday (he uses Volvo 850 Wagon).
He assured me that it's the best car he ever used in terms of fuel consumption, engine power, ruggedity, parts availability and maintenance.
Does anyone have a similar or contrary experience?
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by yommy2yommy: 12:20am On Sep 23, 2016
i want to buy a volvo 850 is a good car
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:43am On Sep 23, 2016
Built for Nigerian roads. Very reliable.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 10:53pm On Sep 23, 2016
You'll hardly go wrong with a volvo, avoid kazeems though
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 30, 2016
Benzora:
Volvo is a highly reliable and fuel efficient car. The parts are also readily available and affordable.***** from me.

You have to be specific, is it the 244 of old or the troublesome v50,v70 and the likes.

Parts affordable ?!!!!******* angry
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2016
kaeforum:

You have to be specific, is it the 244 of old or the troublesome v50,v70 and the likes.

Parts affordable ?!!!!******* angry

Ma Oga, never knew V70 are troublesome oo, have used the 02 model for 9 months even despite my abuses, never left me stranded
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 30, 2016
valarinz:

Ma Oga, never knew V70 are troublesome oo, have used the 02 model for 9 months even despite my abuses, never left me stranded

Have you had any issues with the throttle body, you re very lucky then.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 4:59pm On Sep 30, 2016
kaeforum:

Have you had any issues with the throttle body, you re very lucky then.

Yes, it acted up for a while and I got it cleaned with carburetor cleaner and that was it
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by ukandi1(m): 4:50pm On Oct 01, 2016
owendei:
i'ld advice u neva 2 go 4 it. it hates potholes as already observed. consumes fuel. parts nt readily available. @ present i parked an s70 model cos of gear box wahala: d gear box filter is ryt inside it of which nt all mechanics can trace n service or change it, n so it affected d gear box. cant even take it 2 a mechanic again cos most of dem confesd dt a new one wil b beta as nt all mechanics can work on it.

What I always do in matters like that is to find a Toyota engine and gearbox with similar geometry and install. Its a Volvo yes but d heart and soul are Toyota. Its expensive I know but to keep enjoying s beast, u just have to run a conversion
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by MosesNG(m): 5:50pm On Oct 01, 2016
ukandi1:

What I always do in matters like that is to find a Toyota engine and gearbox with similar geometry and install. Its a Volvo yes but d heart and soul are Toyota. Its expensive I know but to keep enjoying s beast, u just have to run a conversion
Kazeem

5 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Gbolahan111: 7:15am On Oct 02, 2016
owendei:
i'ld advice u neva 2 go 4 it. it hates potholes as already observed. consumes fuel. parts nt readily available. @ present i parked an s70 model cos of gear box wahala: d gear box filter is ryt inside it of which nt all mechanics can trace n service or change it, n so it affected d gear box. cant even take it 2 a mechanic again cos most of dem confesd dt a new one wil b beta as nt all mechanics can work on it.

Volvo is a rugged vehicle just like Mercedes-Benz and has always been our family car. It's one of the best reliable car ever, very balanced on d road. My dad has used different models of Volvo such as 240,940 and now s70 without any complaint, using the same mechanic. Because of it, I also bought a Volvo 1998 model. It will be going to 2 years by next year Jan and I have no major issues on it except the normal regular maintenance and shaft replacement due to bad roads. Although, there are some models to avoid cos of its electrical connections which our kazeem mechanic could not use computer to diagnose so they do trial by error. But for your s70 with gear issue, u can contact me so I refer u to the mechanic. I am sure he will advise you if it's fixable or not.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by diportivo: 3:53pm On Oct 02, 2016
ukandi1:

The end is near

5 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 5:32pm On Oct 02, 2016
diportivo:

The end is near

hahahhahahaha, pls which end oo, armageddon abi

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by diportivo: 7:18pm On Oct 02, 2016
valarinz:

hahahhahahaha, pls which end oo, armageddon abi

Very soon some people will start putting Toyota engines inside marcopolo undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2016
diportivo:

Very soon some people will start putting Toyota engines inside marcopolo undecided

I've seen someone put Camry tiny light engine inside land rover freelander, they must drive Toyota by fire by force

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by ukandi1(m): 10:10pm On Oct 02, 2016
diportivo:

If its d same capacity , why not . u have not been drained by a car whose spareparts and repairers are in deficit. That's why its strange to u.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Autopartz: 8:04pm On Oct 03, 2016
ukandi1:

If its d same capacity , why not . u have not been drained by a car whose spareparts and repairers are in deficit. That's why its strange to u.

Volvo spare parts are not scarce. Most of the suppliers in Lagos are in the Daleko end of Ladipo.

For information on Volvo models' auto parts and at what price to buy them, you can contact the suppliers directly by visiting the website:

[b]www.autopartz.com (main site) [/b]and take the following steps:

Select Volvo(Make); (Model) and then (Year)

Subsequently, click on the particular auto parts in the relevant category.

All the suppliers of the selected auto parts for the Volvo model and registered with us would be displayed.

You can then click on the contact information of any of the suppliers of your choice to get any information you need on the auto parts.

However, AutoPartz now supply highest grade Volvo parts directly to your doorstep (backed with warranty).

If interested, send requests to 08097772886 (WhatsApp)
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Evasmil4(m): 1:11am On Oct 05, 2016
IjogzK:
No one is actually Talking about the S40..... This thread is actually scary!!! High maintenance cost
I was doing some Automobile research in 2012 when i stumble upon some facts about Volvo. I became interested in the car so I did more research and find more to be True.
Volvo don't make cheap cars, they take time to make solid engineered cars
They put in all the sophistication, Ruggedity, Luxury, Safety and Durability,
in doing these they end up having complex vehicles.
I Love Volvo, because they don't compromise on quality, and you get value for the money you pay,
Volvo hardly have fake parts.
No one steals your Volvo car because the market is not readily available to sell them.
From 2014 feb till now, I have sold more than 6 Volvo to people, I also sold my 2006 Honda civic to buy a 2003 V40 that I have being rocking since 2014 july till now. No Regret.
Ask people who has a Volvo, No One Drives a Volvo and Want to drop it for other cars.
you dont buy a Volvo and waste money on security/anti-theft,
Volvo is unstealable, except it is snatched
no one steals/removes parts to resell because parts are very cheap in the market
its a car in its own class, not a pure water brand,
When buying Volvo on second hand it is very cheap also( you buy a car for 800k and people rates it for 1.5m (prestige).

VOLVO FOR LIFE!!! [i][/i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Imagine this S60 I sold for Just 850k, I also do after sales support for most of my Customers, some I just direct them to Daleko for Parts and Mechanics.

Try a Volvo nd You will never regret!

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 11:02am On Oct 05, 2016
Evasmil4:

I was doing some Automobile research in 2012 when i stumble upon some facts about Volvo. I became interested in the car so I did more research and find more to be True.
I Love Volvo, because they don't compromise on quality, and you get value for the money you pay,
No one steals your Volvo car because the market is not readily available to sell them.
From 2014 feb till now, I have sold more than 6 Volvo to people, I also sold my 2006 Honda civic to buy a 2003 V40 that I have being rocking since 2014 july till now. No Regret.
Ask people who has a Volvo, No One Drives a Volvo and Want to drop it for other cars.
no one steals/removes parts to resell because parts are very cheap in the market
When buying Volvo on second hand it is very cheap also( you buy a car for 800k and people rates it for 1.5m (prestige).

Imagine this S60 I sold for Just 850k, I also do after sales support for most of my Customers, some I just direct them to Daleko for Parts and Mechanics.

Pls let me have your contact, or hit me up, tnx
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 28, 2016
volvo cars are rubbish, foundation problems....
Volvo was sold to Ford in 1999
so the cars between till 2010 were Ford produced

In August 2010 Geely of China acquired Volvo... So if you so desire Volvo know what you are getting into... the company ownership has not been quite stable... hence affecting consistency
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 9:01am On Dec 28, 2016
NgcoboP:
volvo cars are rubbish, foundation problems....
Volvo was sold to Ford in 1999
so the cars between till 2010 were Ford produced

In August 2010 Geely of China acquired Volvo... So if you so desire Volvo know what you are getting into... the company ownership has not been quite stable... hence affecting consistency

You started with the quote "Volvo cars are rubbish", and I picked interest and read through the rest of your write up and disappointingly, at the end of the day you ended up saying nothing

Access to Internet can be dangerous if not properly utilized sir, next time, do a more thorough research and come up with more salient points when coming to an argument, tnx

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 28, 2016
valarinz:

You started with the quote "Volvo cars are rubbish", and I picked interest and read through the rest of your write up and disappointingly, at the end of the day you ended up saying nothing

Access to Internet can be dangerous if not properly utilized sir, next time, do a more thorough research and come up with more salient points when coming to an argument, tnx
I can't recite Psalm 119.... just from experience with an S80.... Volvo cars are rubbish.
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 10:06am On Dec 28, 2016
Evasmil4:

that S60 is basically a Ford car
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 1:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
NgcoboP:

I can't recite Psalm 119.... just from experience with an S80.... Volvo cars are rubbish.

Lol, for your mind now you're doing me abi, ok na.

Keep amplifying your ignorance for the world to see, tnx
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2016
valarinz:

oga you are very ignorant about the Volvo you are evangelical about
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
NgcoboP:

oga you are very ignorant about the Volvo you are evangelical about

This is not a volvo vs toyota thread, i also want to assume that whoever owns volvo didnt snatch your wife/gf, what we do in this thread is talk about volvo cars and not to badmouth any other brand, pls will it be so hard to keep your hate to yourself and away from this thread

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
valarinz:

This is not a volvo vs toyota thread, i also want to assume that whoever owns volvo didnt snatch your wife/gf, what we do in this thread is talk about volvo cars and not to badmouth any other brand, pls will it be so hard to keep your hate to yourself and away from this thread
lakaye babu....
Volvo is NOT A RELIABLE brand! finish and klaar!
and stop confusing the old Volvo's built in Europe with the Ford or Geely ones from the US and China....

be smart...

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by valarinz: 10:10pm On Dec 28, 2016
NgcoboP:

lakaye babu....
Volvo is NOT A RELIABLE brand! finish and klaar!
and stop confusing the old Volvo's built in Europe with the Ford or Geely ones from the US and China....

be smart...

Ok, we don hear, now run along, bye

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by shyling(f): 10:39pm On Dec 28, 2016
valarinz:

He's putting it mildly.... Volvo cars are ruinous....second to none in terms of unreliability..... Stop cajoling people to sell them junked heaps of beautifully assembled jargon.... Do what will make people remember you for good. Don't be this cruel
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by shyling(f): 10:40pm On Dec 28, 2016
valarinz:

One word RUINOUS
Re: How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? by Nobody: 4:41am On Dec 29, 2016
valarinz:

sell reliable cars not beautiful nonsense like Volvo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot / Porsche’s First Station Wagon Supercar (Photos) / How To Produce Lubricants In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.