Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. (12347 Views)

How To Live With a contentious woman / Can You Allow Your Child To Live With Another Person? / How Do You "Live" With An Adulterous Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by charlsecy4(m): 1:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
You just need to see The Difference and Similarity between Bride Price and Dowry here
---->
https://www.nairaland.com/896733/bride-price-dowry-whats-difference
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by cowgurl: 1:58pm On Mar 21, 2012
A better word for bride price is APPRECIATION.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by oradee: 2:01pm On Mar 21, 2012
jobfront: @OP, you are absolutely right, men own out rightly any woman they paid bride price to marry. If you disagree, go pay for a man's bride price and own him yourself. Its simple, but some men in trying to win feminine admiration started empowering women to the extent that they now say wht a man can do, a woman can do better, what a bulshit?? Women are supposed to be slaves to men! Now come on with your stones, men own all of yaa!! If doubt it, don't marry & lets see!! jeez!

im now convinced animals can now use the internet...
and women who pay dowries nko? Ewu..
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by emmatok(m): 2:02pm On Mar 21, 2012
oradee:

the irony of it all is this...we have come to realise that we value things we purchase with high price tags.
A man wld pamper his 2012 Range sport compared to a tokunbo car he bought at a cheap price.
So its assumed that if he pays highly for the bride price, he wld treat her likewise.
The definition of marriage Mr Zubi isnt bordered on whether u paid highly for the bride price or not...
*some men do have a crazy way of thinking* undecided undecided

Marriage should be a legal contract between a man and woman.

But bride price is a contradiction, it simply means you are paying for something.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 2:02pm On Mar 21, 2012
This whole thing of bride price should stop. I started this thread because some illiterate money-miss-road came to marry in our place last week. He paid 250, 000 and started bragging to his friends the next day.
I think the midset of people like him is to threat the ladies however they want because they paid for her.
What i am saying is that bride price should be abolished like slave and be replaced with something different.
I would suggets a cow.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by achi4u(m): 2:04pm On Mar 21, 2012
have any of you seen a woman who paid a dowrey of a man?very soon this gona happen cos today's women are fast making money.so,women are indirectly marrying men today...is 50/50
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 2:05pm On Mar 21, 2012
...and thanks to all the contributors so far because we have all be matured by not insulting each other.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by cowgurl: 2:11pm On Mar 21, 2012
MALE CHAUVINIST INDEED!!!always looking for ways to boost up their EGO,ptsheww!
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by achi4u(m): 2:19pm On Mar 21, 2012
ZUBY77: This whole thing of bride price should stop. I started this thread because some illiterate money-miss-road came to marry in our place last week. He paid 250, 000 and started bragging to his friends the next day.
I think the midset of people like him is to threat the ladies however they want because they paid for her.
What i am saying is that bride price should be abolished like slave and be replaced with something different.
I would suggets a cow.
ya ZUBBY77,in my village we called it "afia efi" meaning "cow price" once you settle that chikena.but you must perform a marrage rite 'igba_ukwu',at the end of the day your poket will still get dried.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Balyz: 2:21pm On Mar 21, 2012
ZUBY77 GBAM!!
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by montili(f): 2:22pm On Mar 21, 2012
This is the 21st century no doubt, an era where $h!t happens(i.e the good, the bad & the ugly) but shame on u ZUBBY77 for not respecting one of the special cultures of marriage which has been there through time. It is true human beings take advantage of opportunities not forgetting 'selfish interest' but no human be it man or woman is owned by another. If so why don't you have certificate of ownership of your wife in place of marriage certificate. Talk is cheap & ignorance is a disease, knowledge is power. Don't use or let your badluck or unfortunate experience lead you astray.

Its good 2 be back afta a long time, i love Nairaland.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 21, 2012
PStylish: Well, I won't agree with the assertion that men own women.
However,following the bible's precepts, a woman (wife) is created to be ruled over and directed by a man (husband).

In the book of Genesis, part of Eve's punishment for eating the forbidden fruit spelt out clearly that her (every woman's) desire would be to her husband and he would rule over her.
A woman can never be fulfilled until she has a crown (a man)over head.

@first bolded part,
please, what about in a situation where a woman is more intelligent and better in decision making than her husband? Can he still rule over her with his limited decision making ability?
And what about a situation where the man suffers from some kind of sociopathic disorder and derives sick pleasure from making others feel bad? Can he still rule over her? And btw, sociopaths are everywhere these days, I believe the bible says that the heart of man is desperately wicked.
How can a desperately wicked person be put in charge of another person's life?
Thank you.
@second bolded,
I beg to differ, respectfully of course. The idea that a woman can never be fulfilled without a man is part of our African culture, that like the payment of Bride price, is outdated.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by snthesis(m): 2:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
fellis:
@first bolded part,
please, what about in a situation where a woman is more intelligent and better in decision making than her husband? Can he still rule over her with his limited decision making ability?
undecided intelligent enough to marry a dumbo - nw dats an irony!!!
btw all women always feel more intelligent than their respecive BFs/Husband until he reels them in and shws em wu da boss is!!!!
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Men are superior to women and will always be.if you dont believe it,deal with it.
. . . . . .one of the few Nairalanders that I had regard for.
Anyway.
Bluetooth, all men are not superior to women and neither are all women superior to men.
SOME men are superior to women and SOME women are superior to men.
Am sure that if I ask you whether those Agberos and touts in motor parks are superior to your mother and sisters, you would say no.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by bolseas(f): 2:31pm On Mar 21, 2012
another angle to it is when the rents and the bills are to be paid, pls dont ask your slave how much she will contribute oo. some Men's mentality sef.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Ibangap(m): 2:33pm On Mar 21, 2012
Brideprice or no brideprice, aren't men suppose to rule over women? I dont think its d bride price thing, cos now some women provide money to d men to pay their own brideprice, nd d men stil rule over them as their 'property'.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by kookoo: 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2012
hello, i like your point as i am now going to look for your sister or female cousin or your auntie and own her. may be for better your mum. i bet your dad owns your mum and her life is h e l l?
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2012
snthesis:
undecided intelligent enough to marry a dumbo - nw dats an irony!!!
btw all women always feel more intelligent than their respecive BFs/Husband until he reels them in and shws em wu da boss is!!!!
synthesis, abeg try not to be careless with your replies to my posts.
A man is less intelligent than a woman does not make him a dumbo.
If person A has an IQ of 150, and person B has an IQ of 120, does that mean that person B is a dumbo?
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 21, 2012
pemimi: Better......... So I think your topic shd be " Men own SOME women"
So this must mean Ur people dont collect bride price undecided
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Beaf1: 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2012
fellis:
@first bolded part,
And what about a situation where the man suffers from some kind of sociopathic disorder and derives sick pleasure from making others feel bad? Can he still rule over her? And btw, sociopaths are everywhere these days, I believe the bible says that the heart of man is desperately wicked.
How can a desperately wicked person be put in charge of another person's life?
Thank you.
@second bolded,
I beg to differ, respectfully of course. The idea that a woman can never be fulfilled without a man is part of our African culture, that like the payment of Bride price, is outdated.

^^
What are you saying?
If the characteristics you mentioned above is found in your husband who chose him for you? Was it a forced marriage?
You chose to marry him despite him being unintelligent and having a sociophatic disorder so deal with it.

@post
I think the name 'BRIDE PRICE' is what should be changed. Besides, planning ones wedding and executing it is always the most expensive part not the 'bride price' so what is the fuse about?
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ZUBY77(m): 2:45pm On Mar 21, 2012
kookoo: hello, i like your point as i am now going to look for your sister or female cousin or your auntie and own her. may be for better your mum. i bet your dad owns your mum and her life is h e l l?

this applies to every man and every woman, dont mention my sisters as if i am going to start defending them. Grow up

1 Like

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by snthesis(m): 2:49pm On Mar 21, 2012
fellis:
synthesis, abeg try not to be careless with your replies to my posts.
A man is less intelligent than a woman does not make him a dumbo.
If person A has an IQ of 150, and person B has an IQ of 120, does that mean that person B is a dumbo?
pity u r not intelligent enuf 2 undastnd ur own post tongue
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Bekkichi: 2:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
@ZUBY77, stop looking for excuses not to pay brideprice abeg. How much is it anyway? It's usually just a token! What you should complain about if any is the long list of items to be bought.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 21, 2012
smileytrue talk
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by unphilaz(m): 2:51pm On Mar 21, 2012
ocelot2006: Well, I think the word "own" is a bit strong as I don't see my wife as my property. Still, I don't run a democracy in MY house, but a benevolent dictatorship, and my wife knows that. Her opinions are always welcomed, but my words and approval are FINAL. Oh, and I don't believe in all that 21st century 50/50 bullshyte. Like my parents, I'm pretty much old school.

I like this post, am with you on this smiley
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by ade80: 2:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
Babzilla: So this must mean Ur people dont collect bride price undecided

My people don't collect bride price
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Aladinn(m): 2:57pm On Mar 21, 2012
gegee: :Pi just wasted precious time reading this thread tongue
Seriously. I'm outta here.
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by unphilaz(m): 2:57pm On Mar 21, 2012
PStylish: Well, I won't agree with the assertion that men own women.
However,following the bible's precepts, a woman (wife) is created to be ruled over and directed by a man (husband).
In the book of Genesis, part of Eve's punishment for eating the forbidden fruit spelt out clearly that her (every woman's) desire would be to her husband and he would rule over her.
A woman can never be fulfilled until she has a crown (a man)over head.
Leading/ruling/directing a woman does not translate to owning her IMHO.

I like your reasoning. Therefore if she hadnot seen man wont rule over her!
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by begwong: 3:06pm On Mar 21, 2012
@op,you are suggesting a cow in place of a bride price(dowry)?
Have you sampled the price tags on cows?
There are cows whose price tag is up to 250k if u dnt know!
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by pemimi(f): 3:12pm On Mar 21, 2012
Babzilla: So this must mean Ur people dont collect bride price undecided
. And use it for what
Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by HellaBella(f): 3:23pm On Mar 21, 2012
begwong: @op,you are suggesting a cow in place of a bride price(dowry)?
Have you sampled the price tags on cows?
There are cows whose price tag is up to 250k if u dnt know!

Abi?! LOL is his gripe with the cost of bride price or the concept of the bride price!!! OP, come and answer o! How can you be against bride price in monetary forms but support it when it is paid with a cow? It's the same damn thing! The same transaction is taking place whether cash or cow.

Whether the price is 50 naira or 500, 000 naira it's the same issue. Your argument makes no sense at all. PS: your focus on the cost shows that you are just a cheapskate. You are not really concerned that bride price reduces women to commodities. Afterall, you think it's okay to pay with a cow. WTF!!! grin grin grin

Just say you are poor and move on. Stop pretending to care about the social implications of bride price and ownership. Pay with a cow indeed. Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Learn To Live With This: Men Owns Women. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2012
Beaf!:

^^
What are you saying?
If the characteristics you mentioned above is found in your husband who chose him for you? Was it a forced marriage?
You chose to marry him despite him being unintelligent and having a sociophatic disorder so deal with it.

Deal with it how? Just calm down and try to make logical statements. Why do many men get so worked up when they vaguely perceive that they are being challenged by women?
What do you mean 'deal with it'? Does the fact that she is married to the man mean that she has to do EVERYTHING he says even when it is to her detriment?
Explain 'deal with it'. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Husband Ties Me To Tree, Housewife Tells Ibadan Court / Are The Kids Good Enough Reason To Endure & Stay An Abusive Marriage? / Most Women Respect Spiritual Leaders Than Their Husband - Bamisepeter's Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.