Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Must There Be A Proposal? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Must There Be A Proposal? (1389 Views)

Marriage proposal that Sent A Lady under the table (Photos, Video) / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor / Marriage Proposal: Does The Quality Of The Engagement Ring Matter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must There Be A Proposal? by bizgirl(f): 2:37pm On Mar 21, 2012
hello fellow nairalanders, i want to confirm if there must be a proposal from a man to a lady to confirm his seriousness in a relationship. I over heard these ladies discussing a guy and one of them asked the question"has he proposed?", also i have read it on this forum several times about a guy proposing with a ring or something else.

now my qusetion is this, if a man toasts a lady, and they have known themselves for a while(3mnths and above). if such a guy makes a move of committment and everything works together for good. will the lady insist on him kneeling down with a ring in his hand, look up to her eyes and ask her the popular question'will you marry me'.

kindly explain the essence of this proposal of a thing and its importance. will the relationship not work without it?
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by slimyem: 2:51pm On Mar 21, 2012
cheesy cheesy
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by greedie1(f): 4:55pm On Mar 21, 2012
Good question, awaitin replies...
op, its not african to propose to a lady( i tink), its sometin we learnt from d whites, more like a borrowed tradition. I tink d idea is to remind d lady dt though d guy is undeservin of her love, he is ready to try to meet up to expectation, always love nd cherish ha d way she deserves nd to always remember dt she was sent from God to put color in d life of d guy. Bottomline, it mks d lady feel lyk her love is not bein taken for granted, plus she feels powerful, lol, wen a guy kneels.

its as important as d couple makes it, it shouldnt be overrated though...jst my opinion
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by kelz88(f): 5:14pm On Mar 21, 2012
He doesn't have to kneel. . . .if that's what you're asking.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Hardunnii(f): 5:18pm On Mar 21, 2012
Yes, there must be a proposal
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by ronkebp(f): 5:18pm On Mar 21, 2012
The guy should ''ask'' if the lady wants to be his wife, only because, it is not every relationship that ends up in a marraige.Or better stil, if the lady is expecting the man to ask and he is not making any move, she should better ask him, where they are both heading.

2 Likes

Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Killz3(m): 5:57pm On Mar 21, 2012
ronkebp: The guy should ''ask'' if the lady wants to be his wife, only because, it is not every relationship that ends up in a marraige.Or better stil, if the lady is expecting the man to ask and he is not making any move, she should better ask him, where they are both heading.
Yes o! +1000. . . There must be a proposal. Ladies should not just sniff the air and perceive that the guy will get married to them just because "he toasts her, and they have known themselves for a while(3mnths and above)". While he may not kneel while asking her hand in marriage, asking her is imperative. . .
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by freecocoa(f): 6:11pm On Mar 21, 2012
OP, Relationships are entered for different purposes, not all relationships end in marriage therefore there has to be some sort of definition to one's relationship,for that reason a proposal is very necessary in a relationship that is intended for marriage.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by kelz88(f): 6:38pm On Mar 21, 2012
How will you get confirmation he wants to marry you, without him actually asking, or you asking and him saying yes or no? He doesn't have to even provide a ring. Words are enough. So OP, do you have another idea?
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 22, 2012
@OP
it all depends on what kind of r/ship you are talking about. when they are dating/courting then there is no need for a proposal, but the day they want to take their r/ship to the next level (aka fiancé/fiancée and then marriage) then he surely must propose to her.

the proposal is like an invitation to possibly get married in the future........so, no man should propose before he fully gets to know the damsel FIRST. carriage should not be put before the horses.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Lovexme(m): 7:50am On Mar 22, 2012
Like someone rightly said, he'll have to propose to define the relationship (marriage).

It all seem like a formality sef. A man will propose, they get married, and after some months or years, the marriage is over.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by TMoni1(m): 9:26am On Mar 22, 2012
Am just very suprised at people that said there has to be a proposal. Communication is key, if you guys are open to each other and you "communicate" its no rocket science to know if a guy will marry you or not.

Seriously, u don't have to say a lot of things for your partner to get your message.

Well I am married and I didn't propose or even toasted, we just gel into a relationship and then into marriage.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by dabrake(m): 11:19am On Mar 22, 2012
I was reading this post but I just had to stop when I got to the emphasized part below :
gree-die:
Good question, awaitin replies...
op, its not african to propose to a lady( i tink), its sometin we learnt from d whites, more like a borrowed tradition. I tink d idea is to remind d lady dt though d guy is undeservin of her love, he is ready to try to meet up to expectation, always love nd cherish ha d way she deserves nd to always remember dt she was sent from God to put color in d life of d guy. Bottomline, it mks d lady feel lyk her love is not bein taken for granted, plus she feels powerful, lol, wen a guy kneels.

its as important as d couple makes it, it shouldnt be overrated though...jst my opinion
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by jmoore(m): 11:20am On Mar 22, 2012
He doesn't have to kneel down, that's for hollywood movies. Proposal is simply telling the woman that you want to marry her, that's all.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Connoisseur(m): 11:44am On Mar 22, 2012
Proposal is just a declaration of the way forward. It can BUT must not come with kneeling down and rings
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by greedie1(f): 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2012
dabrake: I was reading this post but I just had to stop when I got to the emphasized part below :
so u tink dts way off d point? Well, dts my own myopic view, ll lyk to knw urs....
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by dabrake(m): 10:32pm On Mar 22, 2012
gree-die:

so u tink dts way off d point? Well, dts my own myopic view, ll lyk to knw urs....
the only problem I have with your comment was the emphasized.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by greedie1(f): 7:20am On Mar 23, 2012
Ok den
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by IRAPADA(m): 8:30am On Mar 23, 2012
Wil d proposal guarante happy marriage? If nt y wasting ur time copying another person culture.My dad never propuse or white wedding yet he had a wonderful 35years of marriage so let bone d called proposal mentality
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 23, 2012
nowadays, women propse to men ooo, and the issue of kneeling down to propose,no , no, no. im thinking of proposing by phone

1 Like

Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by tobnical(m): 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2012
my question is, is it possible for a guy and a lady to get into serious relationship without proposal? yes of course. dey might just see themselves discusin abt future and mariage without proposal.i have seen cases like dat; dat eventually led to marriage.
Re: Must There Be A Proposal? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 29, 2012
Ladies can't just get over themselves for such irrelevances! undecided

(1) (Reply)

Wonders They Say Shall Never End..what Can She Do? / I Felt Sorry For My G/f / White Women Vs Blackwomen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.