Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,809 members, 7,956,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:44 PM

Southeast And Regional Development - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southeast And Regional Development (751 Views)

Work Has Resumed In Southeast And South-south Roads / Correcting The Definition Of What A Slum Is In The Southeast And Southwest / No Election Updates In The Southeast And Southsouth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Southeast And Regional Development by aljharem(m): 3:09pm On Mar 26, 2012
The South East Development Agenda (SEDA), I guess, must be in the works as I write this. It has to be. But if such a propellant is not already afoot, then the political and intellectual leaders of the Southeast with all due respect must make haste; as the bell tolls unceasingly for a re-ordered Nigeria. Indeed, if for any reason any of the six geo-political zones is yet to set in motion plans for regional economic integration and productivity, then such a region must be suffering from political delirium. For emphasis the rent racketeering economy, falsely represented over the years as a national economy has run its life span. The mask has since been removed, and the un-initiated are now in the secluded masking arena.
So unless the changes come fast, the recent prognosis for civil servants in Niger State to be trained to bear arms to defend themselves may become applicable to every government official and the so called middle class. Now as you drive by in a snarling traffic, young men bang at your side glass in broad daylight demanding that you hand the loot over to them. When they finish with one offender they leisure around for the next culprit, as they examine ‘their receipts’. From their disposition they have no doubt that these seemingly well to do ‘ruffians’ must have contributed to their quandary, and they have no qualms stealing and scaring the day light out of their lives. With the people coming to terms that what passes as governance is substantially bare faced stealing; mobbing the barricaders is now seen as legitimate.
The South West in my view is showing the way for the necessary economic interrelatedness within their zone. The recent forum involving their legislative, executive and technocratic leadership, whereat the legislative and political correctness and methodology for a regional economy was discussed is a necessary ground work for that inevitable road to Nigeria’s future. To hope and plan otherwise may result in the Southeast allowing their people to be taken unawares as in 1966/67. Then Ndigbo as presently had invested heavily across Nigeria, with their greatest gift to Nigeria, the great Zik of Africa eventually spread thin in his effort at propagating and living out his nationalism. Taking a cue from their leader, the people easily turned victims when at short notice the tribal fuse imploded.
Presently, the Southeast state Governor’s forum under the leadership of Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State appears to have a good relationship. If they have not succeeded as much as they should, the forum has at least been very energetic in their support for President Jonathan’s presidency. While such support may serve some political interests, what is of paramount importance is for them to create opportunities to build regional economic scenarios for the future. That can be done if they prod and support political and intellectual examination of quality plans, policies and schemes for economic corporation. Scenarios for common source of power and energy, inter state road, water and railway transportation, agriculture and agro allied industries, common legal process, inter state policing and security, commerce and industrialisation among others should be devoted serious energies.
The Southeast political and intellectual leadership I pray would appreciate this new surge in regionalism across Nigeria. This is the case from the Northeast, to Northwest, to North-Central, to Southeast, to Southsouth, and Southwest. What may be different is the approach to venting it. While the regional Risorgimento in Nigeria has created violence in some zones, there is a state of helplessness in others; while yet others are working round the clock to set the pace. Those clamoring and arguing otherwise are those who are temporarily benefitting from the status quo, and are foolishly living a lie that it would last forever. The unending violence across the land interestingly is, however, pushing for a clearer thinking.
Last week, I received an unverified and unverifiable mail (because of the opacity in the oil industry) on the ownership of the oil wells in Nigeria, worth billions of dollars. The mail, which claimed to have been a product of enormous research, showed that the top northern military and political leadership obviously has a disproportionate share of the oil wealth of the country. The trust of the article was that though the northern elites through military fiat owned much of the national oil and allied wealth, the region remains the poorer compared to the southern part of Nigeria. I have also subsequently seen articles arguing that President Jonathan must review the ownership structure of the oil wells, otherwise there would be a problem.
Of course the Southsouth’s stand-by enforcer called MEND has re-started their military insurgency to draw attention to their quest for more resources. One newspaper article even said that the 13 per cent derivation means 87 per cent deprivation, in answer to the clamour for a review of the revenue sharing formula by the Northern Governors and the House of Representatives caucus. In the core North, the Boko Haram is furthering their argument for regional authority with their AK 47 rifles and other incendiary materials. The Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, a trained Islamic scholar is also advancing his regional interest, as he argues that the revenue formula is skewed against the North, and is a major cause of the militancy in the region.
As the struggle for the sharing of the legendry national cake hots up among the regions, there is the need to spare some thoughts on the expansion of regional wealth base. Notably the atomisation of Nigeria’s federating units started as a war strategy in 1967 has served its purpose; and it is time for functional federating units to enable a resurgent national economy.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/law/39520-southeast-and-regional-development.html
Re: Southeast And Regional Development by M17: 6:15pm On Mar 26, 2012
i'm still begging u guy's to break up nigeria . i hate nigeria frankly speaking .every easterner old/new ss/se want independence from nigeria . please master we are not the same people as can see ,the mentalities are varied and not the same . nigeria can never be one .i wish the oil dries quick i mean very fast .i have not see any unification of so called nigeria . oil is the primary source of unification .nothing more nothing else . divide nigeria now stop pretending .ask that stupid president gej slowpoke idiot to open his eye now because he has capability to discern the unseen future event . he is weak .

(1) (Reply)

Edpa Workers Steal In Edo State. / Federal Republic Of Southern Nigeria / Police Declare Senator Bukola Saraki Wanted Over $133.5 Million Bank Loan Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.