Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,427 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred (1091 Views)

See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / President Jonathan To Speak On Current National Issues Today At 7pm / President Jonathan To Address Nigerians On Current National Issues Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 30, 2012
Every time I read the lyrics to our national anthem - and then, read the posts on NL - I shake my head in disgust. Sometimes, I feel like cutting my nose to spite my face - but it seems everything wrong with us can be traced to our national anthem. Our present national anthem is too shallow for brotherhood and patriotism to reign in Nigeria. I prefer the old one IMO!

Our national anthem and pledge below:

Anthem
"Arise, O Compatriots"
Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith.
The labour of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

O God of creation
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty height attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

Pledge
I pledge to Nigeria my country,
To be faithful, loyal and honest,
To serve Nigeria with all my strength,
To defend her unity,
And uphold her honor and glory,
So help me God.

The old national anthem
Nigeria we hail thee,
Our own dear native land,
Though tribe and tongue may differ,
In brotherhood we stand,

Nigerians all are proud to serve
Our sovereign Motherland.
Our flag shall be a symbol
That truth and justice reign,
In peace or battle honour'd,
And this we count as gain,
To hand on to our children
A banner without stain.

O God of all creation,
Grant this our one request,
Help us to build a nation
Where no man is oppressed,

And so with peace and plenty
Nigeria may be blessed.

The bolded parts of the old anthem illustrates why our founding fathers were more patriotic. Most of our problems started after we changed our national anthem to the present one - that was when cannibals like IBB and Abacha were sent to bury Nigeria in the bottomless pit. Like they say: there is power in words!

N/B: This post may sound dumb, but in life anything is possible. smiley
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by bittyend(m): 11:44pm On Mar 30, 2012
Though tribe and tongue may differ, In brotherhood we stand,

and

Help us to build a nation, Where no man is oppressed,

I love these two lines!!
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by achi4u(m): 12:11am On Mar 31, 2012
thanks for your insight but is nigeria a one nation presently?
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by Yeske2(m): 12:19am On Mar 31, 2012
@poster cut the crap, tribalism has been institutionalized even before the new anthem was adopted. You are a good student of history so go back in time and rehearse our national history then you'd know. Tribalism didn't start in 1960 when 'Nigeria we hail thee' was adopted nor in 1978 when 'Arise, O compatriots' was adopted. The composer of the new one Benedict Odiase would be regretting right now. God save the king/Queen preceded both anyway.
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by onila(f): 12:23am On Mar 31, 2012
lol
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by Nobody: 2:06am On Mar 31, 2012
bittyend:

I love these two lines!!

Brotherhood!!! Yoruba+Igbo+Hausa = The Brotherhood Fraternity!!!

Power in diversity! cool
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by manmustwac(m): 2:31am On Mar 31, 2012
Think about it eveything happening in the country today is the exact opposite to the national anthem
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 31, 2012
manmustwac: Think about it eveything happening in the country today is the exact opposite to the national anthem
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by HAH: 8:10pm On Mar 31, 2012
To many national anthem is a mere song
Re: How Our Current National Anthem In Nigeria Encouraged Tribalism And Hatred by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 31, 2012
HAH: To many national anthem is a mere song

And that's wrong - our national anthem should be the theme song for patriotism - and something which subconsciously guides us as Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Insecurity: Gowon,adeboye,oritsejiafo Meet In Ibadan / Ojukwu Was More Of A Nigerian-Was Igbo And Knew Igbo Only During A War Situation / MKO ABIOLA Was A Selfish And Corrupt Polictician Who Had Selfish Interests.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.