Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind (8408 Views)

Christianity Has Become A Crime In Kaduna As El-rufai Wages New War On Churches / Christianity Has Lost It Focus- Sheikh Gumi / Christianity Has Finally Begun To Die In The Last Christian Western Nation! USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by jmoore(m): 10:54am On Apr 12, 2012
Many atheist have always asked the question,"what has Christianity contributed to the world?". They think that Christianity is against science, they think that the world is better of without Christianity.

The purpose of Christianity is stated in JOHN 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life”

The above reason is the main aim because all these materialistic things will pass away.
But just to enlighten the atheist, skeptics and others on what Christianity has contributed in this world, I will briefly list few because as Christians we are the salt and light of the world.

1- Missionary: With Christian mission came aid to those in need. We can't rule out the impact of christian missions to Africa, providing education, health services, culture of human sacrifices/killings like the killing of twins which Mary Slessor stopped here in Nigeria and other many charitable works. An atheist named Matthew Parris said “As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God” He realises that this is not just about doing good works, but the faith which lies behind the charitable deeds .More of what he said can be found>> (source: http://www.billmuehlenberg.com/2009/01/10/christianity%E2%80%99s-positive-contributions-an-atheist-confession/
)

2-End of slave trade: In 1772. slavery was judicially excluded from England, 14,000 freed. In 1808 English slave trade was abolished. In 1831 all European slave trade was abolished. England spent 15 million pounds for enforcement, even making payments to Spain and Portugal to stop the trade. In 1833 slavery was abolished in British Empire, 45 million pounds paid in compensation to free 780,933 slaves. Wilburforce, along with Buxton, Macaulay, and Clark . . . all evangelicals who were converted under Wesley's ministry, were the top leaders in ending slavery (This British action in the 1830's profoundly affected American attitudes which resulted in the Civil War).

3-Science: Just take a look at few Christians I listed below

A- Charles Babbage: Imagine a life without computers? Impossible, right? Well, the man you need to thank is Charles Babbage. He was an English mathematician, philosopher, inventor and mechanical engineer who came up with the concept of a programmable computer and is said to have invented the first mechanical computer.
He wrote this in an article “we take the highest and best of human faculties and exalting them in our imagination to an unlimited extent, endeavour to attain an imperfect conception of that infinite power which created everything around us"
He understood that God's power is infinite and that even through man's best efforts, we will never fully comprehend God's perfection.

B-Nicholas Copernicus: Copernicus was the Polish astronomer who put forward the first mathematically based system of planets going around the sun.

C-Galileo di Vincenzo Bonaiuti de' Galilei [1564-1642] has been described as the "father of modern physics," the "father of modern science"

D-Michael Faraday: Best known for his discoveries of electromagnetic induction and of the laws of electrolysis. His biggest breakthrough in electricity was his invention of the electric motor

E- Sir Isaac Newton:

F-Wright Brothers: They invented the airplane

G-Robert Boyle: One of the founders and key early members of the Royal Society, Boyle gave his name to "Boyle's Law" for gases, and also wrote an important work on chemistry.

H-James Clerk Maxwell - influential mathematician and physicist

I-Louis Pasteur: a chemist and microbiologist,he is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and preventions of diseases

and I will end with this because the list is many

J-Blaise Pascal: He was a French physicist, mathematician and religious philosopher. He was a child prodigy and as a mathematician he wrote on projective geometry at 17, invented a convenient tabular presentation for binomial coefficients, and influenced Fermat's development of probability theory. Pascal exerted strong influence on the development of modern economics and social science. He constructed a mechanical calculator for his father, the king's commissioner of taxes, at the age of 18.
Pascal is famous for the statement known as Pascal’s Wager in which he applied his thinking in terms of probabilities to the question of salvation. Pascal’s Wager paraphrased is:
‘How can anyone lose who chooses to become a Christian? If, when he dies, there turns out to be no God and his faith was in vain, he has lost nothing—in fact, he has been happier in life than his non-believing friends. If, however, there is a God and a heaven and hell, then he has gained heaven and his skeptical friends will have lost everything in hell.’

Just a brief because I might end up posting a whole book on their contributions here. Many Christians have contributed immensely to humanity but the focus is on our creator who gave us this knowledge, who also let both unbelievers and believers have access to it , as said in the bible Matthew 5:45 " that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

What is the gain if you have contributed to the world and perish after death? Like Blaise Pascal said, what do Christians stand to lose if they are wrong at the end? And you atheist and unbelievers, what do you stand to lose if you are wrong? Better accept Jesus Christ or end up in hell. Christianity is about the hope of redemption so that you do not perish after death, it is personal relationship with God.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Jenwitemi(m): 7:12pm On Apr 12, 2012
Too many IFs, mate. Trying the Pascla wager again, mate? Stupid wager that does absolutely nothing to support the christian viewpoint. Question; What if the christians are wrong and the muslims are right? What do you all stand to lose? I guess Pascal did not consider that before throwing out his silly wager.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Ptolomeus(m): 7:30pm On Apr 12, 2012
I really I can not believe what I'm reading.
Just one comment, it should be analyzed point by point the atrocity I just read.

jmoore:
2-End of slave trade: In 1772. slavery was judicially excluded from England, 14,000 freed. In 1808 English slave trade was abolished. In 1831 all European slave trade was abolished. England spent 15 million pounds for enforcement, even making payments to Spain and Portugal to stop the trade. In 1833 slavery was abolished in British Empire, 45 million pounds paid in compensation to free 780,933 slaves. Wilburforce, along with Buxton, Macaulay, and Clark . . . all evangelicals who were converted under Wesley's ministry, were the top leaders in ending slavery (This British action in the 1830's profoundly affected American attitudes which resulted in the Civil War).

According to what you cice, Christians, who have been promoted slavery who claimed that blacks and Indians were human and had no soul, Christians, which used to encourage the transfer to America of tens of thousands of innocent African and threw the dead into the sea and animals, which killed American Indians in the name of God ... (Christ the King)

Now it seems that those Catholics are the saviors of the world are the ones who freed the slaves ... How ironic! What short memories yours!
What would your ancestors than you just say?
Would say dozens of slaves tortured, raped and murdered with the consent of the Catholic Church and the Lord Jesus Christ?
I can understand you defend Christianity, which I can not understand, and never understand is that is so disrespectful and forgetful.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 12, 2012
Jenwitemi: Too many IFs, mate. Trying the Pascla wager again, mate? Stupid wager that does absolutely nothing to support the christian viewpoint. Question; What if the christians are wrong and the muslims are right? What do you all stand to lose? I guess Pascal did not consider that before throwing out his silly wager.
Im sure u failed to consider that there are lots of similarities between Islam and christianity. Muslims believes in Jesus christ as the christians do. Muslims believes in God like the christians do.

'I guess you did not consider that before throwing out your nasty wager grin
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by dekung(m): 11:33pm On Apr 12, 2012
toba: Im sure u failed to consider that there are lots of similarities between Islam and christianity. Muslims believes in Jesus christ as the christians do. Muslims believes in God like the christians do.

Nope, muslims do not believe in Jesus as christians do. Muslims believe He was an ordinary prophet, not the son of God. Muslims do not believe in the resurection story. Bottomline christians and moslems believe in two different gods. The christian God has a son, the moslem God has none. The christian God sacrificed his son to himself so he wont be mad with humanity again, the moslems do not believe d crap. The christian God is Triune (3 in one like my hp printer), the moslem God is one indivisible entity. The moslem believe mohammad is the greatest prophet, christians think this is pure crap. Moslems believe you should kill anyone who speaks against islam, christians do not think it is neccessary. I caan go on and on but I guess I have made my point. Question: what if the God you reject is the true God.
Answer: You burn in HELL forever
But be of good cheer, heaven, hell and God(s) were created by men.

1 Like

Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by jmoore(m): 11:55pm On Apr 12, 2012
Jenwitemi: Too many IFs, mate. Trying the Pascla wager again, mate? Stupid wager that does absolutely nothing to support the christian viewpoint. Question; What if the christians are wrong and the muslims are right? What do you all stand to lose? I guess Pascal did not consider that before throwing out his silly wager.

It is question, he knows that he knows that Jesus is real. The question with "if" was asked from skeptics perspective. Jesus is real, some muslims who converted to Christianity have seen him.

Ptolomeus: I really I can not believe what I'm reading.
Just one comment, it should be analyzed point by point the atrocity I just read.

According to what you cice, Christians, who have been promoted slavery who claimed that blacks and Indians were human and had no soul, Christians, which used to encourage the transfer to America of tens of thousands of innocent African and threw the dead into the sea and animals, which killed American Indians in the name of God ... (Christ the King)

Now it seems that those Catholics are the saviors of the world are the ones who freed the slaves ... How ironic! What short memories yours!
Would say dozens of slaves tortured, raped and murdered with the consent of the Catholic Church and the Lord Jesus Christ?
I can understand you defend Christianity, which I can not understand, and never understand is that is so disrespectful and forgetful.

this writeup of yours looks so........, I'll leave it and just go my point

The institutional church and true Christianity are not always synonymous. Professing Christians many not live up to the ideals and practices of its Founder ("Faith without works is dead," Jas. 2:26).

Renaissance popes are not Christianity; St. Francis of Assisi is.

Pizarro and Cortez are not Christianity, Bartolome de Las Casas is.

Captain Ball, a Yankee slave captain, is not Christianity, Wilburforce is.

Those who got involved in the evil acts were acting outside the word of God
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by agiboma(f): 4:26am On Apr 13, 2012
Like all other religions it has not contributed much except to bring, war,displacement and a feeling of superiority above all other religions. My problem is not with Christianity its with the concept of religion period. I think all religion should be abolished. People should just focus on being spiritual beings and look too and praise g-d only.

1 Like

Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by jmoore(m): 6:51am On Apr 13, 2012
agiboma: Like all other religions it has not contributed much except to bring, war,displacement and a feeling of superiority above all other religions. My problem is not with Christianity its with the concept of religion period. I think all religion should be abolished. People should just focus on being spiritual beings and look too and praise g-d only.

Christianity is not a religion, it is a personal relationship with God.

Only those who do not know the facts will say that Christianity has not contributed much.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by jagunlabi(m): 12:49pm On Apr 13, 2012
It is a religion, dude. You may also consider it as some form of relationship with God, but you worship him as a god, don't you? That makes it a RELIGION, then.
jmoore:

Christianity is not a religion, it is a personal relationship with God.

Only those who do not know the facts will say that Christianity has not contributed much.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by mkmyers45(m): 1:55pm On Apr 13, 2012
Ptolomeus: I really I can not believe what I'm reading.

I just SMH.....If you stop a problem you encouraged is that an achievement?
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by mkmyers45(m): 1:57pm On Apr 13, 2012
agiboma: Like all other religions it has not contributed much except to bring, war,displacement and a feeling of superiority above all other religions. My problem is not with Christianity its with the concept of religion period. I think all religion should be abolished. [s]People should just focus on being spiritual beings and look too and praise g-d only[/s].

WORD!
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Callotti: 2:43pm On Apr 13, 2012
Hypocrisy and Bigotry!
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by logicboy: 2:44pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by harakiri(m): 3:02pm On Apr 13, 2012
Callotti: Hypocrisy and Bigotry!

@Poster

That's the simple answer to all your questions.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Jenwitemi(m): 4:22pm On Apr 13, 2012
Islam and Christianity are still different religions worshiping different deities last i heard.
toba: Im sure u failed to consider that there are lots of similarities between Islam and christianity. Muslims believes in Jesus christ as the christians do. Muslims believes in God like the christians do.

Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Ptolomeus(m): 4:58pm On Apr 13, 2012
jmoore:

It is question, he knows that he knows that Jesus is real. The question with "if" was asked from skeptics perspective. Jesus is real, some muslims who converted to Christianity have seen him.

this writeup of yours looks so........, I'll leave it and just go my point

The institutional church and true Christianity are not always synonymous. Professing Christians many not live up to the ideals and practices of its Founder ("Faith without works is dead," Jas. 2:26).

Renaissance popes are not Christianity; St. Francis of Assisi is.

Pizarro and Cortez are not Christianity, Bartolome de Las Casas is.

Captain Ball, a Yankee slave captain, is not Christianity, Wilburforce is.

Those who got involved in the evil acts were acting outside the word of God
Exactly: "this writeup of yours looks so ........"
You say:
1. Who encouraged the enslavement of hundreds of thousands of Africans were not Christians, it was not the official position of the Catholic Church.
2. Those who tortured, rap_ed, killed Africans, and said they were animals and had no soul were not Christians, nor was that the official position of the Catholic Church.
3. Who exterminated the American Indians were not Christians, and that was not encouraged by the Catholic Church by official edicts.
4. Those blessed gunpowder and cannon bombardment of Guernica killing innocent women and children were not Christians, nor was that the official position of the Catholic Church
(I'll leave here, but could follow)

All good Catholics were ... and who will be good in future also be Catholics.

Excuse me dear friend, but his analysis is not only biased but extremely superficial. Does not resist the scrutiny.

You say that Bartholomé de las Casas was a christian, but all antedictos sentenced to death hundreds of thousands of people were not Christians?

I guess it's a bad joke ... in very bad taste.
If you were not kidding, would offend the memory of hundreds of thousands of martyrs, and possibly their own ancestors.
I think it would be too high a price to defend a belief that harbored murderers in the name of Christ King.
My greatest respect.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by logicboy: 7:49pm On Apr 13, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Exactly: "this writeup of yours looks so ........"
You say:
1. Who encouraged the enslavement of hundreds of thousands of Africans were not Christians, it was not the official position of the Catholic Church.
2. Those who tortured, rap_ed, killed Africans, and said they were animals and had no soul were not Christians, nor was that the official position of the Catholic Church.
3. Who exterminated the American Indians were not Christians, and that was not encouraged by the Catholic Church by official edicts.
4. Those blessed gunpowder and cannon bombardment of Guernica killing innocent women and children were not Christians, nor was that the official position of the Catholic Church
(I'll leave here, but could follow)

All good Catholics were ... and who will be good in future also be Catholics.

You are a slavery apologist eh? Out of ignorance, you conveniently denied that the catholic church did not support slavery! Bad news for you- The catholic church officially supported slavery in its canon law by Pope Gregory IX.

Christianity was brought to Nigeria with slavery and colonialism. The Portuguese that came were christians and so where the British. There are even quotes in the bible supporting slavery;

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

Titus 2:9
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them

What about churches and pastors having slaves?
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-19-southern-baptists_x.htm
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by jmoore(m): 8:43pm On Apr 13, 2012
Out of ignorance, mouths will open to utter what they do not know and don't know that they don't know but I will continue to enlighten you though your heart has reached a point that any evidence presented to you is discarded because of your hatred of Jesus but he still loves you.

Now let me clarify things, so that even other christian can learn

First, we must recognize that the Bible does not say God supports slavery. In fact, the slavery described in the Old Testament was quite different from the kind of slavery we think of today - in which people are captured and sold as slaves.

According to Old Testament law, anyone caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed

EXODUS 21:16 "And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death."

Therefore, slavery during Old Testament times was not what we commonly recognize as slavery, such as that practiced in the 17th century Americas, when Africans were captured and forcibly brought to work on plantations.

But in ancient Israel there was voluntary slavery, people who could not provide for themselves or their families sold them into slavery so they would not die of starvation or exposure. In this way, a person would receive food and housing in exchange for labor. these voluntary slavery brought about rules on slavery in the Bible, those rules were made to protect the slave. Injuring or killing slaves was punishable - up to death of the offending party and many more laws for protection of slaves.

Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Philemon to release his slave from his service to "do what is proper".

Skeptics claim that the God of the Bible approves of and encourages slavery. What makes them blind is that they don't see the verse in the bible where selling a person into slavery was grounds for the death penalty, according to the Old Testament(EXODUS 21:16). The skeptics are also blind that they can't see the passage where slave traders where put in the same category with murderers,adulterers,homosexuals,liars, e.t.c in 1 Timothy 1:10: "..the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,"
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Sweetnecta: 9:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
@OP For me to accept that the success of the christians could be accredited to Christianity you will have to show how christianity inspired them to sciences and discoveries. If Christianity can't be directly linked to the efforts and successes of these human giants, there should not be any reason to claim christianity did anything of importance except in the matters of spirituality and humane acts in general. Judaism didn't impact humans to attain greatness.

If any monotheistic religion is to be said inspired knowledge, discovery, etc inclusive of its spirituality and being humane, it is Islam that raised Arabs from the forgotten to the forerunners. Muslims fell from the peak when Islam was somewhat abandoned except only in lip services and some spirituality defining them from the others the disbelievers.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by logicboy: 9:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
jmoore: Out of ignorance, mouths will open to utter what they do not know and don't know that they don't know but I will continue to enlighten you though your heart has reached a point that any evidence presented to you is discarded because of your hatred of Jesus but he still loves you.

Now let me clarify things, so that even other christian can learn

First, we must recognize that the Bible does not say God supports slavery. In fact, the slavery described in the Old Testament was quite different from the kind of slavery we think of today - in which people are captured and sold as slaves.

According to Old Testament law, anyone caught selling another person into slavery was to be executed

EXODUS 21:16 "And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death."

Therefore, slavery during Old Testament times was not what we commonly recognize as slavery, such as that practiced in the 17th century Americas, when Africans were captured and forcibly brought to work on plantations.

But in ancient Israel there was voluntary slavery, people who could not provide for themselves or their families sold them into slavery so they would not die of starvation or exposure. In this way, a person would receive food and housing in exchange for labor. these voluntary slavery brought about rules on slavery in the Bible, those rules were made to protect the slave. Injuring or killing slaves was punishable - up to death of the offending party and many more laws for protection of slaves.

Paul, the author of many of the New Testament writings, virtually ordered the Philemon to release his slave from his service to "do what is proper".

Skeptics claim that the God of the Bible approves of and encourages slavery. What makes them blind is that they don't see the verse in the bible where selling a person into slavery was grounds for the death penalty, according to the Old Testament(EXODUS 21:16). The skeptics are also blind that they can't see the passage where slave traders where put in the same category with murderers,adulterers,homosexuals,liars, e.t.c in 1 Timothy 1:10: "..the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,"

1)EXODUS 21:16 "And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death."

Exodus 21;16 was talking about kidnapping and selling. Enslaving conquered cities was different from kidnapping in the old testament. You know this and you're trying to deceitfully protect the bible. People, animals and things from conquered cities were bounty and property of the isrealites;

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way

2) Slavery in the old testament was worse than modern slavery. Am I to believe that bushmen from biblical times had better living conditions than the 16th century? What about the quote where you could beat your slave as long as he can survive for two days in the old testament;

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Also remember that Egyptians used to whip the hell out isrealite slaves in the bible and that was why Moses was angry!

3) 1 Timothy 1:10 was not talking about slaves, it was talking about kidnappers. Thanks to christian apologists who want to make the bible look good, it was changed from "kidnappers" to "slave traders". Slavery trading in the bible is different from kidnapping, like I said before. It was ok to enslave other conquered nations. If Timothy was talking about slaves, then why was Paul lenient on Philemon? Here is the original quote from 1 Timothy 10;

1 timothy 10; and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching

4) Paul only wanted a better treatment for Onesimus as a brother in christ. Paul did not free Onesimus but rather send him back to his slave master. Paul could have sent Onesimus elsewhere. Would you send a child victim back to a peadophile? Why a slave back to a slave master?

Please, also address Pope Gregory ix putting slavery into canon law

Also, expalin american churches having and supporting slavery

The queen/king is the head of the Anglican church of England and voyages to take slaves from Africa were done in their majestic names.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Ptolomeus(m): 9:27pm On Apr 13, 2012
logicboy:

You are a slavery apologist eh? Out of ignorance, you conveniently denied that the catholic church did not support slavery! Bad news for you- The catholic church officially supported slavery in its canon law by Pope Gregory IX.

Christianity was brought to Nigeria with slavery and colonialism. The Portuguese that came were christians and so where the British. There are even quotes in the bible supporting slavery;

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

Titus 2:9
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them

What about churches and pastors having slaves?
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-19-southern-baptists_x.htm
I am sorry to say this, but I think you can not read or did not.
If you read carefully what I wrote, you will notice that I am following the reasoning of those who posted just to show me his mistake. If, as you say I am an apologist, I am of the sufferings of the slaves, against the abuses of the Catholic Church that I denounce here permanently in the forum.
Read my posts please both you and do not rush to judge people.
It's always good to read first, then reasoning, and finally if, writing.
Rest your hands a little, and exercise your brain.
Thanks, and sorry if I offended you, but what really hurt you told me unfairly.
My respects
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by logicboy: 9:35pm On Apr 13, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I am sorry to say this, but I think you can not read or did not.
If you read carefully what I wrote, you will notice that I am following the reasoning of those who posted just to show me his mistake. If, as you say I am an apologist, I am of the sufferings of the slaves, against the abuses of the Catholic Church that I denounce here permanently in the forum.
Read my posts please both you and do not rush to judge people.
It's always good to read first, then reasoning, and finally if, writing.
Rest your hands a little, and exercise your brain.
Thanks, and sorry if I offended you, but what really hurt you told me unfairly.
My respects

I am sorry, if I attacked you wrongly! Your comment wasnt clear to me, it looked like you were defending the slavery of the past. Sorry
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Ptolomeus(m): 9:55pm On Apr 13, 2012
logicboy:

I am sorry, if I attacked you wrongly! Your comment wasnt clear to me, it looked like you were defending the slavery of the past. Sorry
Dear friend ...
Thanks for being an honest person. Not all people recognize a mistake, and we are all human and make mistakes. I also told him as hard. Excuse you.
First, my English is very bad (I'm Uruguayan), I am a researcher of African culture, an advocate of African traditions here in my country ... That's why I hurt so much your comment.
But this demonstrates that beyond language barriers and misunderstandings when people are honest and ethical sense are always understood.
I extend my hand to you a friendly and hope you accept me as a friend.
I also apologize if I said harshly.
Get you a hug.
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Nobody: 11:22pm On Apr 13, 2012
It is a fact that slavery did not live up to christian principles.However restricting it's historical practice among christians to the catholic church is just like trying to rewrite history overnight.FYI slavery was not just practised among predominbantly countries but also in those countries that as a preponderance of protestantism.To sum it all we all are guilty of slavery inclluding protesdtants,muslims,agnostics,atheists e.t.c its historical practice was never restricted to any religious sect
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by LogicMind: 11:34pm On Apr 13, 2012
christianity is the worst thing to happen to africa
Re: Christianity has Contributed much positively To Mankind by Ptolomeus(m): 4:38pm On Apr 16, 2012
chukwudi44: It is a fact that slavery did not live up to christian principles.However restricting it's historical practice among christians to the catholic church is just like trying to rewrite history overnight.FYI slavery was not just practised among predominbantly countries but also in those countries that as a preponderance of protestantism.To sum it all we all are guilty of slavery inclluding protesdtants,muslims,agnostics,atheists e.t.c its historical practice was never restricted to any religious sect
Excuse me, but not all are guilty of slavery.
I wonder what guilt have Africans, American Indians and people of peace? ... Against them was the greatest genocide in human history, and was encouraged, planned, agreed and coordinated by the Catholic Church.
As in the Crusades, as with the Inquisition, were committed the worst atrocities imaginable in the name of Christ the King!
You deny that the Catholic Church said that blacks were animals that had no soul, and they deserved to be treated like beasts!
Do not attempt to defend the indefensible. Do you want me to narrate how they produced the movement of Africans in the slave ships to America?
Probably does not know! Surely you do not know, that the few survivors were sold as beasts, and the sick were abandoned on the beach for eating dogs.
I just narrated undeniable historical facts, I am not defending the Islamic or the Pentecostal ... tamabién latter have done enough damage ...
I do not know if what you say is bigotry or ignorance, but anyway is outrageous.

(1) (Reply)

Do These Statues At The Notre Dame Cathedral Show That It's a Satanic Building? / How The Bible Teaches Us To Recognize False Prophets / Have You Been Pressed During Any Of Your Bed Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.