Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE (1627 Views)

Tribalism Is Disgusting, Beyond Irritating / Tribalism Is Taking Over Nairaland ! ! ! ! / Tribalism Is Killing Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 8:34pm On Apr 19, 2012
Let me shock you by telling you that the so-called sectional loyalty is a BIG LIE. None of this guys making the rounds for breaking up have any loyalty to anything. When the land breaks then you will see them promoting village loyalty and town solidarity. Even within their small village they will still advocate for family loyalty until they themselves rule. It is a big LIE. Actually the biggest LIE in Nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ebere1712: 12:58am On Apr 20, 2012
Dude if unfortunately Nigeria dissolves, then it is all our fault. Most people are calling for referendum and not dissolution. It is only people that have something to hide that are afraid of this. Anything that would divide this nation is not profiting to any of its member states. However if the solution to boko haram killings, massive corruption and an unworkable and over bloated,overstretched federal government is disintegration. So be it. And may the God and deities of our forefathers bless us all.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by jmaine: 1:06am On Apr 20, 2012
bilms: Let me shock you by telling you that the so-called sectional loyalty is a BIG LIE. None of this guys making the rounds for breaking up have any loyalty to anything. [size=14pt]When the land breaks then you will see them promoting village loyalty and town solidarity. Even within their small village they will still advocate for family loyalty [/size]until they themselves rule. It is a big LIE. Actually the biggest LIE in Nigeria today.

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrg5KwpIXmA0R6iYks4_TUFaLXLGsRJaLJThPX-Scx3-81Ci9cU-lTiiza[/img]
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by cfours: 5:25am On Apr 20, 2012
this is one of the more sensible threads on nairaland.

Nigeria's problem is poverty, not tribalism.
poverty is what causes people to fight and to be antagonistic toward each other over scarce resources. ex oil,land, govt funds, emigration etc
in fact, if we break up things will more likely get worse rather than get better!!
also, new or dormant lines of division that haven't resurfaced before will suddenly spring up... and then what?
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 3:58pm On Apr 20, 2012
?
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Ejine(m): 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2012
bilms: Let me shock you by telling you that the so-called sectional loyalty is a BIG LIE. None of this guys making the rounds for breaking up have any loyalty to anything. When the land breaks then you will see them promoting village loyalty and town solidarity. Even within their small village they will still advocate for family loyalty until they themselves rule. It is a big LIE. Actually the biggest LIE in Nigeria today.

FACT!!!!
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by achi4u(m): 4:28pm On Apr 20, 2012
c.fours:
this is one of the more sensible threads on nairaland.

Nigeria's problem is poverty, not tribalism.
poverty is what causes people to fight and to be antagonistic toward each other over scarce resources. ex oil,land, govt funds, emigration etc
in fact, if we break up things will more likely get worse rather than get better!!
also, new or dormant lines of division that haven't resurfaced before will suddenly spring up... and then what?
well said but notting WILL happen if at all we're breaking.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Ejine(m): 4:30pm On Apr 20, 2012
Double post.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Ejine(m): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
You should take Imo for example, where some divisive 'opposition' criminals and their fickle, gullible followers are crying because their governor Okorocha is building the Imo State University permanent site in Ideato South - an area considered 'Orlu Zone'. Since its announcement, this foolish bunch has been threatening blood and guts, should the school be moved out of the 'Owerri (senatorial) Zone'. And I'm asking myself, "no be the same Imolite everybody be again?"
And let's not forget the states of Ekiti and Ebonyi, which were carved out 'in response' to the 'marginalization' meted on them by their mother states.

I swear, Nigeria is loaded with so many confused people undecided
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Ejine(m): 4:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
And lest I forget - Upon the creation of Rivers State (which comprised Bayelsa), the Ikwerre people were thrashed and rubbished so thoroughly by the Ijaw majority, that they complained and demanded the creation of 'Port Harcourt State', to save them from the Ijaw maltreatment and domination.

Everybody dey cry about that same marginalization.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Dede1(m): 5:07pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ejiné: You should take Imo for example, where some divisive 'opposition' criminals and their fickle, gullible followers are crying because their governor Okorocha is building the Imo State University permanent site in Ideato South - an area considered 'Orlu Zone'. Since its announcement, this foolish bunch has been threatening blood and guts, should the school be moved out of the 'Owerri (senatorial) Zone'. And I'm asking myself, "no be the same Imolite everybody be again?"
And let's not forget the states of Ekiti and Ebonyi, which were carved out 'in response' to the 'marginalization' meted on them by their mother states.

I swear, Nigeria is loaded with so many confused people undecided

Bros, you are definitely wiser than this post. There is what we call conflict of interest in any human endeavor. In developed countries, no sitting governor will even dream of any action that would arouse the thought of conflict of interest among his/her constituency.

The governor is from Ideato South LGA and planed to relocate the University Campus to his LGA. If the governor is from Okigwe Zone wants to relocate the Campus to Orlu Zone, people would have given him/her the benefit of doubt. I have promised not to write anything about this Okorocha fellow until he completes the first term in office.

The problem with Nigerians is their inability to call a spade a damn spade.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Ejine(m): 7:02pm On Apr 20, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, you are definitely wiser than this post. There is what we call conflict of interest in any human endeavor. In developed countries, no sitting governor will even dream of any action that would arouse the thought of conflict of interest among his/her constituency.

The governor is from Ideato South LGA and planed to relocate the University Campus to his LGA. Iff the governor is from Okigwe Zone wants to relocate the Campus to Orlu Zone, people would have given him/her the benefit of doubt. I have promised not to write anything about this Okorocha fellow until he completes the first term in office.

The problem with Nigerians is their inability to call a spade a damn spade.

Hmmmmm. . . I kinda get the picture now. Didn't even know he was from there, so I guess the opposition is justified in a number of ways. My statement was made from an article I read on the web about a community chief warning him against 'shifting it from Owerri Zone' but I didn't realize the issue was deeper than that.
Ah well, let's just hope the relocation isn't one big ego trip, though. Emphasis on 'hope'. wink
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 7:03pm On Apr 20, 2012
May God help us to help ourselves
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Dede1(m): 7:18pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ejiné:

Hmmmmm. . . I kinda get the picture now. Didn't even know he was from there, so I guess the opposition is justified in a number of ways. My statement was made from an article I read on the web about a community chief warning him against 'shifting it from Owerri Zone' but I didn't realize the issue was deeper than that.
Ah well, let's just hope the relocation isn't one big ego trip, though. Emphasis on 'hope'. wink

Bearing in mind Okorocha is a self-styled education governor who had left the people of Imo State with promise of three new universities. Any reasonable fellow would have sought to know why the so-called education governor insists on moving a university already in Owerri Zone to Ideato South LGA. There are more than 5 LGAs in Owerri Zone that can comfortably house IMSU yet the insensitive Okorocha pushed to have the university in his village.

If Okorocha is bent on moving existing university from Owerri Zone to Ideato South LGA, where is he going cite the three new anticipated universities?
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 7:24pm On Apr 20, 2012
let us wait and see
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Afam4eva(m): 8:26pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ejiné: And lest I forget - Upon the creation of Rivers State (which comprised Bayelsa), the Ikwerre people were thrashed and rubbished so thoroughly by the Ijaw majority, that they complained and demanded the creation of 'Port Harcourt State', to save them from the Ijaw maltreatment and domination.

Everybody dey cry about that same marginalization.
Now, the minorities in rivers state e.g Ogoni, Ijaw etc are now crying of marginalization by the Igboid groups spearheaded by the Ikwerres. There's always gonna be a new enemy.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ektbear: 8:54pm On Apr 20, 2012
Hmm. An interesting question.

Not sure that I agree. Certainly my family vs. say my town...our interest never conflicts. We don't earn our living from our town or state.

Me personally, I'm motivated by the best interests of the SW zone and Yoruba people more generally. I don't think there would be a conflict of interest even after Nigeria divides. Sure, i'd advocate Ekiti interest, and the interest of my town. But not to the extent that I'd want to cheat somebody else.

Honest advocacy rather than selfish.

So I don't agree...that you are a Yoruba chauvinist doesn't necessarily mean that you are a X state/Y town/Z family chauvinist...
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Afam4eva(m): 8:57pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Hmm. An interesting question.

Not sure that I agree. Certainly my family vs. say my town...our interest never conflicts. We don't earn our living from our town or state.

Me personally, I'm motivated by the best interests of the SW zone and Yoruba people more generally. I don't think there would be a conflict of interest even after Nigeria divides. Sure, i'd advocate Ekiti interest, and the interest of my town. But not to the extent that I'd want to cheat somebody else.

Honest advocacy rather than selfish.

So I don't agree...that you are a Yoruba chauvinist doesn't necessarily mean that you are a X state/Y town/Z family chauvinist...

It will eventually get to a stage where some people will think that they're been cheated. Imagine if all the presidents of the new founf oodua land keep coming from Ijebu, don't you think some disgruntled and self seeking politicians from other places will start a campaign to install a president from their region.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ektbear: 9:03pm On Apr 20, 2012
Why would all the presidents be from Ijebu?

Anyway, let's suppose that happens.

It would only personally annoy me if the guy was a sectionalist himself.

I.e., he decides to steal federal wealth to enrich his own part of the SW.

But if the FG is relatively weak, states are strong, and the presidency weak, then this won't happen.

Or do you see Obama diverting everything to Hawaii/Chicago? He doesn't...and even if he wanted to, he can't
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ektbear: 9:05pm On Apr 20, 2012
The Ekiti thing in the 1990s was in hindsight a bad idea. But then again, can you blame them?

Is it their fault that the FG allocation formula rewards you for having your own state? Is it their fault that the executive branch of states are so strong, much stronger than the legislature?

When you are trapped in a bad political structure that rewards silly behavior, doesn't mean you'll behave foolishly in a good political structure.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ektbear: 9:10pm On Apr 20, 2012
In the Western region days...the leader was Ijebu.

Most of the cocoa wealth came from Ondo. Most of the free education money came from Ondo cocoa.

Taxes essentially on the cocoa farmers.

I don't remember them b1tching and moaning saying that Awolowo should be sacked and replaced with somebody from Ondo...

I don't remember them wanting to secede or whatever.

I think this sectionalism was something evil that occurred after the military tore up the form of gov't we had when the British left.

If Yorubaland is restored to the form of government we had at independence, then I think we'll be overall fine.

Plus sectional sentiment TODAY is Yorubaland is a helluva lot weaker than it was in the 50s and 60s in Awo's day..
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ektbear: 9:12pm On Apr 20, 2012
Most of this sectionalism stuff comes from people fighting over their share of somebody else's money.

If 95% of the projects that happen in your state come from money generated internally, then will you be obsessed with whether your homie is president or not?

You won't care that much..
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by jmaine: 9:25pm On Apr 20, 2012
[size=14pt]Rewinding what i posted over a year ago [/b]on this thread[/size] ========> https://www.nairaland.com/645370/how-gej-will-win-saturday/4#8138957

[size=14pt][b]Corruption has never being our major problem
[/size]

Sectionalism, ethnicity and tribal divide is our main problem . . .they feed the hatred and suspicion we have for each other . .This problem is deeply embedded in the name called Nigeria as we know it . . . Our early leaders like Azikiwe , the Sultan of Sokoto and Pa Awolowo et al. , did not make provision to solve this suspicion and hatred for each other. All they did was to shift it aside, hence giving room to corruption in the form of Nepotism. It started out regionally as the resolve to hold tight to whatever you feel is good (positions, allocation e.t.c ) for your kinsmen cos of the fear that no other region will do that for you , so your need to look out for yourself and your people, than allow any other tribe come close to your chest supposedly meant for the populace. Just like a seed when planted will grow into a tree over time with roots reaching deep down to the depths of the soil, what started out as regional "hold tight for your people" syndrome became more polarized as people even in the same region began to see others as majorities or minority . .from minority - majority debate . .it went deep down to the clan level where even in the same L .G. A . .they even fight in a very bloody manner just to acquire that wealth forcefully.

When the stakes went higher , the focused now shifted from clan driven struggles to family struggles . . . and this family struggles is the phase we are in our our corruption expedition . .a phase that is more monstrous than the regional, tribal and clan related corrupt tendencies . . . Now people feel the need to emancipate their family and their entire generations yet unborn by amassing illegal wealth to the detriment of the others . .with the thinking that they are making hay while the sun shines . .and the next family seeing this trend and the appealing yield would fight doggedly by any means just to get his/her family to the pie only meant for the strong and mighty . .while the poor are the mercy of the strong political gladiators

The only voice of the poor is at the election but the mighty elites who benefited from the past ensured that they also controlled the dynamics of the electoral process introducing money politics, rigging ,and the last option arming youths with guns to acts as enforcers to their greed
. . . If the electoral process is strengthened where people can get to chose who they want , and a feeling of oneness is entrenched by solidifying development in all areas . . . relegating religion to the background in whatever we do . . .having the believe that i can comfortable travel to other regions and trust my neighbor like myself . . .then you will see corruption suffer a very painful death

If we start loving our neighbor as ourselves, that will be the end of sectionalism, ethnic and tribal divide . if those trio are successfully reduced to level that won't cause economic damage then more than 80% of the problem we are facing as a nation will be solved . .

The bottom line: corruption is not our major problem today . . .

Culled from the stables of Jmaine cool

1 Like

Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by Ejine(m): 9:47pm On Apr 20, 2012
^Haaa! Applause grin
Neat! cool
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by jmaine: 9:57pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ejiné: ^Haaa! Applause grin
Neat! cool

I dey blush . . .lol . . .
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ektbear: 6:29am On Apr 21, 2012
jmaine, not sold bro..
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by jmaine: 6:55am On Apr 21, 2012
ekt_bear: jmaine, not sold bro..

Okay bruv . . . I don hear undecided
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 3:49pm On Apr 21, 2012
lol
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by antartica(m): 11:40pm On Apr 21, 2012
Even broken down into family units,they will still be antagonistic and dumb.Ignorance is unconditional,it is like a shadow.

i.e,"darktooth" aka bluetooth.I wish he knew who the original bluetooth is,where that name was corned from.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 7:07am On Apr 22, 2012
you are very correct.
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by bilms(m): 10:40am On Apr 23, 2012
undecided
Re: So-called Tribalism Is A BIG LIE by ak47mann(m): 2:18pm On Apr 23, 2012
The second invasion was the NIGERIAN WAR AGAINST BIAFRA.It was actually a British war against Ndi Igbo.Even though,the Delta Igbos were not part of the Eastern Region then but they were made to suffer the same man inhumanity to fellow man like the Igbos of the hinterland.It was made easy because most of the baracks and the Armory were sited in the north and most of the Army personnel,especially the recruits then were from the North.Even though,majority of the high ranked Igbo officers then were Igbos but the recruits turned against their supreme officers under the command of Muritala Muhammed,Theophilus Danjuma and Dankad Bali,Joshua Dogonyaro and the rest.You can see many of them are Christians of the Middle Belt.When the Christians of the MIddle Belt were busy carrying out British agenda.The Muslims of the same North were busy caring out the agenda of Usman Dan fodio,which was handed over to his great grand son,Amadu Bello. then Premier of the Northern Region.After the weakening of the Igbos,the Jihadists confronted the Christian Northerners and diminished their military might, by the help of Buhari and IBB.The Northern military rulers became enemies of themselves and their people.You know it's not easy to turn monkeys to human being,so every body is crying.Few are rich,but majority dwell in abject poverty.That's the nemesis.That is the nemesis.The Yoruba people and the smaller tribes,who had foolishly followed the North out of fear,were never seen as friends of the North.Any Yoruba political leader who has Yoruba Agenda in his hand will be pulled down,that is the reason Obasanjo was imposed on the Yorubas and he eventually proved to them he has no Yoruba agenda in his hand.Now they're crying for foul play by the Northern dominated Military oligachy.In other to side line Ndi Igbo,the entire tribes in the country suffered.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Person Gunned Dead In Mubi, Adamawa State / Who Is The Best Senator In The Nigerian 7th Senate? / AFRICA BEWARE: President Obama Has Unfortunately Sold Out (african Summit)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.