Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,470 members, 7,819,718 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? (10584 Views)

Nigerian Judge Jailed A White Man For Using N_word / Nigerian Judge Caught On Tape Negotiating Bribe To Skew Justice In Gambia / Nigerian Judge Suspended For Street Fighting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by noiseless: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2012
Judge Marcel Awo-kulehin,mmmh!
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by wowo2: 3:14pm On Apr 20, 2012
mkpologwu: Marcel Awolowo-ku-lehin (ie awolowo die behind him)! How possible Awo die behind this Marcel
His name sef na lie!

I want to believe you're just playing with words or probably feigning ignorance.
Am not yoro but Lagos born and bred and know Awokulehin would be something like Awo(not Awolowo) is behind.
I may be wrong but you definitely are..

i agree it is hightime people in whatever position start being held responsible in Nigeria.
Le's hope the man is held accountable..somehow
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Beaf: 4:03pm On Apr 20, 2012
The court in Asaba was built specifically for the Ibori case and Awokulehin was shipped in to deliver a specific judgement.
In Nigeria, justice is a commodity that can be purchased only by the rich. Clearing the Nigerian system is a gargantuan task that will take years. embarassed

1 Like

Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2012
Who gave the London Metropolitan Police the dossier of evidence from Nigeria that was used to prosecute and convict Ibori in the UK? It was the EFCC. The EFCC was able to do that only after the former Attorney General, Michael Aodoakaa was eased out of his position when GEJ took over. It was Aondoakaa, and by extension Yar'Adua who was stalling the cooperation of the EFCC with the London Met Police. It was that same evidence that the EFCC presented before Justice Marcel Awokulehin.

Mind you, Awokulehin quashed 170 charges! A whole 170 counts of criminality. Ibori was even given the privilege of not taking a plea pointing to a predetermined judgement. Ibori was charged in the UK with only about 10 of those charges and convicted. Awokulehin is a disgrace to his family, children, conscience, uprightness and the judiciary. The Nigeria judiciary which he belongs is rotten. This judge had been compromised with lucre. There are reports that he was bribed with $5 million.

The supreme Court is the worst. An abuja magistrate swore under oath that he convicted a James Onanefe Ibori of a crime in 1994. The Supreme Court still ruled that there was "no evidence" that the James Onanefe Ibori convicted by that judge is the same James Onanefe Ibori running for reelection in 2003. Evidence of his UK conviction for petty theft and handling stolen credit cards were ruled inadmissible.

1 Like

Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by safariman(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2012
Not only the judge, but the prosecutors too. With so many of EFCC cases being thrown out
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by hrhobi1(m): 4:29pm On Apr 20, 2012
OK LETS FISH OUT THIS JUDGE, WHERE IS HE AT THE MOMENT?, IF ANYONE HAS THE CONTACT DETAILS OF CHANNELS TV AND AIT PLEASE SEND THEM A MESSAGE TO AIR A PROGRAM ON THE CASE ON IBORI WHILE IN NIGERIA AND ALSO THEY SHOULD INVITE THE JUDGE TO EXPLAIN TO NIGERIANS WHAT HAPPENED, HE IS A NIGERIAN AND LETS SAY A RESPONSIBLE ELDER STATES MAN, SO LET HIM COME OUT AND EXPLAIN TO US WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED.

THANK YOU,

HRH OBI 1
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by olajide8(m): 4:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
Beaf:
You are little more than a jackal and I pity the womb that gave birth to lying scum like you. There is nobody that does not know how much I have always been against Ibori.
I joined NL in 2009. Below is a comment I made two and a half years ago (in 2009, just months after I joined) concerning Ibori on a thread titled; "Ribadu Lodged $15m Ibori’s Bribe With CBN – Waziri:"

https://www.nairaland.com/346084/ribadu-lodged-15m-ibori-bribe#4846412

May God punish you.

So, its Tinubu thats your pain? You want me to tell you about Ohakim and Igbinedion? You are so stup!d.

Lying fool.
Newbie that is causing nairaland so much controversy
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by muyoto: 4:41pm On Apr 20, 2012
And this case, very, very tragically indeed, confirms my long held suspicion that the ''Nigerian judiciary being the last hope of the common man'' mantra was as nothing more than flatulent rhetoric designed to keep the more gullible of us in a false sense hope about our country's democracy.

True, there have been one or two celebrated cases where corrupt practices appeared to have punitively dealt with. but I don't think there are more than one or two. Furthermore, there is the growing suspicion that those cases only end up that way because there are political, and not legal, interests involved. I fully concur with such sentiments.

Lets face it: the Nigerian judiciary, like almost all other sectors of our country is the very embodiment of corruption.

pity sad

2 Likes

Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:42pm On Apr 20, 2012
Buncha Ignoramuses

one even dey talk about jury!! in nigerian legal system?

is it not the case thats presented before the judge that the judge will examine before ruling?

can anyone of u argue with the barest modicum of sense that the case of the prosecution was properly collated and professionally presented such that the decision the court arrived at is perverse?

when the prosecution is not interested in doing their job and or do such a shoddy job of it, hide/subvert evidence, deliberately demonstrate incompetence, do u expect the judge to unilaterally manufacture a case against the accused?

a good example is this Erastus Akingbola case, 5 SANs supposedly did such a shoddy job that the judge threw out the case.

In high profile cases, its way easier to get the prosecutor to compromise and do a bad job, than toget a judge to overtly compromise. the best the judge can do is to covertly tell the prosecutor what to do to undermine the case!!!

u all come here to badmouth a judge without any iota of proof other than your beer parlor drunken permutations of who must be guilty and who is innocent. rubbish
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
I am very very angry and frustrated with the whole Nigerian system !! Maybe its the BLOOD OF INNOCENT BIAFRAN WOMEN AND CHILDREN WHO WERE MASSACRERED BY HAUSA/FULANI,YARUBA,THE MINORITIE AND THEIR FOREIGN ALLIES AND MERCENARIES THAT IS TORMENTING US !!
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 20, 2012
NRI PRIEST: I am very very angry and frustrated with the whole Nigerian system !! Maybe its the BLOOD OF INNOCENT BIAFRAN WOMEN AND CHILDREN WHO WERE MASSACRERED BY HAUSA/FULANI,YARUBA,THE MINORITIE AND THEIR FOREIGN ALLIES AND MERCENARIES THAT IS TORMENTING US !!

You well so ?

2 Likes

Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by MyJoe: 5:00pm On Apr 20, 2012
4llerbuntu: Buncha Ignoramuses

is it not the case thats presented before the judge that the judge will examine before ruling?

can anyone of u argue with the barest modicum of sense that the case of the prosecution was properly collated and professionally presented such that the decision the court arrived at is perverse?

when the prosecution is not interested in doing their job and or do such a shoddy job of it, hide/subvert evidence, deliberately demonstrate incompetence, do u expect the judge to unilaterally manufacture a case against the accused?

a good example is this Erastus Akingbola case, 5 SANs supposedly did such a shoddy job that the judge threw out the case.

In high profile cases, its way easier to get the prosecutor to compromise and do a bad job, than toget a judge to overtly compromise. the best the judge can do is to covertly tell the prosecutor what to do to undermine the case!!!

u all come here to badmouth a judge without any iota of proof other than your beer parlor drunken permutations of who must be guilty and who is innocent. rubbish

You have a point, as that is the way these things go. However, I think what happened in the Ibori case was beyond prosecutorial bungling. It was more likely a grand collusion - AG, judge, and likely the prosecution. You will recall that there was no FEDERAL HIGH COURT, ASABA, until Ibori. Mr Aondoakaa hurriedly put FHC, Asaba, together for Ibori and procured a judge for the job. So the case was fixed from the start. There were alarms raised at the time, but this is Nigeria.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by sweeteasy(m): 5:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
He said the James Ibori case will likely to go into
the Guinness book of World records. “This is the
first time,” he said “that a man, his wife, his
sister, his mistress, and his lawyer have been
jailed. But as I have said, it is not Ibori that was
jailed, it was Nigeria that was convicted. “

Lol, i guess if his children were adults they also wld be in jail too.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by pdpiperpippen: 5:41pm On Apr 20, 2012
Sadly not much can be done to d useless jugde in view of the immunity they enjoy in d discharge of their duties as judge.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by jephiano: 6:32pm On Apr 20, 2012
To kinda digress, what of the judge that allowed Odili (fmr Gov. Of Rivers) to get an injunction that prevents his administration from being investigated by any security agency? Now Odili's wife is a Supreme court judge.....na wa for Naija o. Such people should be in jail.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Niseamaka(m): 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2012
NRI PRIEST: I am very very angry and frustrated with the whole Nigerian system !! Maybe its the BLOOD OF INNOCENT BIAFRAN WOMEN AND CHILDREN WHO WERE MASSACRERED BY HAUSA/FULANI,YARUBA,THE MINORITIE AND THEIR FOREIGN ALLIES AND MERCENARIES THAT IS TORMENTING US !!

~Bluetooth:

You well so ?

YES, HE IS WELL. THAT COUNTRY CALLED NIGERIA WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE GENIUNE PEACE AND STABILITY UNTIL REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA BECOMES AN ACCOMPLISHED REALITY.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by dayokanu(m): 6:50pm On Apr 20, 2012
I am not sure if the judge can be held solely responsible

A judge can only adjudicate based on what the prosecution brings before him, if the prosecutors come forward and were stammering and saying rubbish, What do you expect the judge to do?

In Iboris case, The powers were interested from the level of the presidency (Yar Adua) AGF (Aodonkaa) and Delta governor (Uduaghan)

All they need is for the prosecutors to present a useless case and ANY judge in the world would throw it out

Look at the case of Akingbola Erastus that was just freed, The Judge was soo angry that the prosecutors were unserious with the case and he freed Erastus. So you cant blame the Judge

In the UK, The prosecutors took their jobs seriously and the Nigerian govt were not able to interfere
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by tchaik(m): 6:57pm On Apr 20, 2012

RESPECT! My learned counsel, did you read the ruling well?
ariy:
i. Quashing all the 170 Counts contained in the document titled “Further Amended Charges filed by the Prosecution in this matter and terminating the criminal Proceedings connected therewith on the following grounds.
ii. None of the Counts disclose a prima facie case against any or all the Accused persons.
iii. The Accused persons are not in any way linked to the offence of Money Laundering as charged by the prosecution.
iv. Constitutionally, the charges are incompetent as they constitute Delta State business of affairs which the Federal Government of Nigeria or any of its Agencies such as the EFCC is incompetent to inquire into.
SMH!!!
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by dayokanu(m): 7:20pm On Apr 20, 2012
Wasnt it the same Delta State who came out and said it was a private matter?

Just assume you were the Judge, The AGF said Ibori didnt steal money, Delta state said it was a private issue and the Governor sent an Affidavit that money no lost.

The prosecutors came to court and told you their evidence was from a Pastor who saw vision of Ibori stealing

Wetin you wan do to convict am?
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by noiseless: 7:25pm On Apr 20, 2012
@Daftyokanu. Be very careful with what you like to vomit here in your attempt to defend your tribe man, people are very angry and this case is bigger than your shiit.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by dayokanu(m): 7:28pm On Apr 20, 2012
noiseless: @Daftyokanu. Be very careful with what you like to vomit here in your attempt to defend your tribe man, people are very angry and this case is bigger than your shiit.

Rational reason is beyond you anyway so we cant expect anything sensible

What has tribesman got to do with evidence brought before a judge

Did you have access to the case brought before the Judge or you expect the judge to go digging himself?

Any sane person would have seen how the irresponsible prosecutors behaved in the case of Erastus or was the judge at fault there too?

Thinking has never been your forte just keep too making Noise as your username suggest
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by yinchar(m): 8:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
Beaf: The court in Asaba was built specifically for the Ibori case and Awokulehin was shipped in to deliver a specific judgement.
In Nigeria, justice is a commodity that can be purchased only by the rich. Clearing the Nigerian system is a gargantuan task that will take years. embarassed
Beaf for the first time since have know you on Nairaland, you said something meaniful and sensible, because most of your comments has always been anti tinubu, aregberascal(as you called him) & ACN. grin grin grin
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by bittyend(m): 8:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
yinchar:
Beaf for the first time since have know you on Nairaland, you said something meaniful and sensible, because most of your comments has always been anti tinubu, aregberascal(as you called him) & ACN. grin grin grin
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by deandavid(m): 9:45pm On Apr 20, 2012

na ur papa or ur relative? Abi u chop ibori money?
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Josh316(m): 10:07pm On Apr 20, 2012
deandavid: we have been talking about NJC nd NBA of being corrupt, unjust, shameless and whatever, but it is nigerians that are members these institutions or associations, if we have to clean own judicial system, we need to start from somewhere. Now my question is WHO WAS THAT JUDGE THAT QUITTED ACQUITTED IBORI OF THE CHARGES AGAINST HIM IN NIGERIA? That judge should be stripped of whatever title he has, disgraced, humiliated and possibly banned. If that man was to be my father walahi i go disfather am, for falling his hand nd name for money. Back to the question, WHAT IS THAT JUDGE'S NAME?
wink
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Beaf: 10:10pm On Apr 20, 2012
yinchar:
After Ibori, na Tinubu, IBB etc. AregbeRASCAL is already facing his waterloo.
One by one, criminals will drop.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by JosMon(m): 12:08am On Apr 21, 2012
deandavid: we have been talking about NJC nd NBA of being corrupt, unjust, shameless and whatever, but it is nigerians that are members these institutions or associations, if we have to clean own judicial system, we need to start from somewhere. Now my question is WHO WAS THAT JUDGE THAT QUITTED IBORI OF THE CHARGES AGAINST HIM IN NIGERIA? That judge should be stripped of whatever title he has, disgraced, humiliated and possibly banned. If that man was to be my father walahi i go disfather am, for falling his hand nd name for money. Back to the question, WHAT IS THAT JUDGE'S NAME?

Don't mind our judiciary system. Its a bundle of mistrust and abused of office. They respect money more than their names. Time will surely tell.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Lordsocrates: 5:54pm On Apr 21, 2012
C urself seated as a judge sum1 killed ur brother and u r 2 c ova d caze, den d prosecutor cumz 2 spew rubish sayin dat thou ur broda had ~suicidal~ drive dat d knive cut 4rm party b led 2 his death. d defendance using diz ~suicidal lacuna~can brin up evidence dat ur broda might hv kiled imself by refusin 2 accept treatment. And u angry as u may me would hv nufin 2do,but 2 pas judgment 4reein d person dat kiled ur broda. So d validity of d prosecutors evidence and hw it is presented also coms into play.

But am stil imaginin hw 170 solid evidence could hv bin strucked out. Sumfink is fishy here.
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 21, 2012
cold: The painful thing about the Ibori's saga in Naija is that the judge didn't even allow him to take a plea.He just dismissed the charges outright-all 147 of them.Can you beat that?Only in Nigeria
That is appalling and surprizing!
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Nobody: 7:09am On Apr 22, 2012
The judge will be brought to justice only when pigs fly. no be naija undecided we should be the ones pressurizing the government to do the right things. Us citizens get to prove their cases to the government through the use of peititions(thousands actually). why can't we have educated men do the same in Nigeria? cry
Re: And Who Is That Nigerian Judge That Pronouced Ibori Innocent? by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 22, 2012
Beaf:
Justice Marcel Awokulehin.

He needs to be burnt at the stake.
the judge cant be crucified without us looking into how efcc handled the case.efcc is so corrupt that they easily bungle corruption cases in court once they are induced financially;at times like this,the judge could just strike out the case based on one technicality,or want of evidence,or lack of merit;this doesnt mean the accused was declared innocent.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate / Governor Dankwambo's Junior Brother And 2000 Supporters Dump PDP For APC / "We Are On A Mission To Send Buhari Back To Daura" - Eunice Atuejide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.