Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. (14994 Views)

Nigeria Warns North Korea Over Ballistic Missile Test & Nigerians React (pics) / Live Pictures Of Ongoing Biafra Protest At Building Material Ogidi Anambra State / Willie Obiano At Building Material International Market, Ogidi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by blackboi(m): 7:32pm On Apr 20, 2012
grin airforce 1, nigeria limited lipsrsealed
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 20, 2012
So, Nigeria has an airforce - with fighter jets?? Hmmmm, we hear new things everyday...

I just hope the corrupt government didn't buy those innocent servicemen chinaman's fighter jets?? grin
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by KDULAR: 7:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
Because within shores is where it's supposed to be.
blacksta: phocked up country

why is a jet carrying live missiles within the shores of the country.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ajbabs(m): 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
I dey fear for naija now.Expecting accidental NUCLEAR discharge(God forbid bad thing)
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by DualCore1: 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
leo2008: Omo...na true ooo...I stay at railway area in woji,d incident happened at ulom junction along woji rd....was on ma bed ds morning arround after six...I still dey snore... Na so my my bed,room,house vibrate with a loud gbammmmmmm....fear catch me...I first tink say na our gas cylinder explode... When we reach d place...kon see as mopol nd sojo plenty 4 dere...dem don trace d bomb...the anti bomb squard wey dey dere reach 4..... Na God save us oooooo..... Nd na lie dem dey lie... D missile was launched from bori camp nt d airport... Nd d building is nt uncompleted building....there is mechanic workshop nd a lot of oda workshops dere.... They just haven't resumed 4 d day

This is the only correct eye-witness account I am seeing here. It happened just opposite the stores between Mini-Woji road and the Anglican Church. No injuries were recorded because businesses hadn't started work. If it was in the afternoon it woulda been a different story. I was standing beside the building last week Thursday, there's nothing uncompleted about that building.

On the fun side of things could it be one of the new Air Force recruits they were testing? ...if this actually came from the Air Force.

...As someone has stated, there's nothing like an accidental discharge of a missile. To the best of my knowledge such kill switches do have a glass cover you have to voluntarily pull up before you get to the kill switch. No reflex or involuntary action can pull off that safety cover in one direct and press the kill switch in another direction.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Afam4eva(m): 7:54pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ndi Woji full nairaland sha. ---offtopic-- Btw, why do Ikwerre people like bearing female names @ Chioma

1 Like

Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by DeCleff(m): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2012
naptu2: Police Say Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At A Port Harcourt Building

The Rivers State police command said a loud blast heard in Port Harcourt earlier today was that of a missile accidentally fired from an airforce jet on routine maintenance at the Airforce mechanic hangar in Port Harcourt.

Commissioner of Police Mohammed Indabawa told Saharareporters that the missile hit an uncompleted building three kilometers from the scene of the accidental discharge. He said no death or injuries were reported.

Panicked residents had reported hearing a deafening explosion in Worji area of Port Harcourt around 7:30 AM

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/police-say-airforce-jet-accidentally-fires-missile-port-harcourt-building

Accidental discharge? Na lie, make dem check weda the persin wey do that thing from north. If em from north, then na boko idiots agent to attack PH. Period.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by DeCleff(m): 8:11pm On Apr 20, 2012
afam4eva: Ndi Woji full nairaland sha. ---offtopic-- Btw, why do Ikwerre people like bearing female names @ Chioma

And who told u that Chioma is a female name?
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Afam4eva(m): 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2012
DeCleff:

And who told u that Chioma is a female name?
How many guys have you seen bearing it?
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 20, 2012
Either this happened
Crown Prince:
Oh yes,that thing has been hovering around port harcourt for number of years with no action so i guess they NAF guys decided to do a demostration.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 20, 2012
Or this
Ejiné: Maybe he thought the red button was for "reverse gear".
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by anishe(m): 9:05pm On Apr 20, 2012
When are we going to get things right in Nigeria?

Boko Haram are there terrorising the country and you can not direct your missiles at them. Na wa o.

And that GEJ is sitting like a fool in Aso Rock expecting miracle to quench the Boko.

Very unfortunate Nigeria.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 9:09pm On Apr 20, 2012
Uhmmmm....there's one thing wrong with the story. There are no jets at the NAF's 98 Special Operations Airbase. Just BO-105s, and the Mi-35 attack helos. No jets.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 9:13pm On Apr 20, 2012

Oh brother...dude, pls read your post again. Where do you expect the Airforce to keep their missiles. Cameroun? Jeez..
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Buc(m): 3:16am On Apr 21, 2012
Nigeria is definitely heading to an end.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Buc(m): 3:34am On Apr 21, 2012
If d chinese had a hand in d production of any part of d missile or d launcher, or may be they trained d men, because a corrupt ruling class plus d chinese, God save Nigeria.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by eragoggle(m): 4:22am On Apr 21, 2012
Dual Core:

This is the only correct eye-witness account I am seeing here. It happened just opposite the stores between Mini-Woji road and the Anglican Church. No injuries were recorded because businesses hadn't started work. If it was in the afternoon it woulda been a different story. I was standing beside the building last week Thursday, there's nothing uncompleted about that building.

On the fun side of things could it be one of the new Air Force recruits they were testing? ...if this actually came from the Air Force.

...As someone has stated, there's nothing like an accidental discharge of a missile. To the best of my knowledge such kill switches do have a glass cover you have to voluntarily pull up before you get to the kill switch. No reflex or involuntary action can pull off that safety cover in one direct and press the kill switch in another direction.

Wow i left woji 4 years ago....but i know those stores.....but i remember that opposite those stores, there was a refuse dump. Thank God it did not get to ma house oh cos we live at ilom drive. and thank God nobody was hurt
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Mynd44: 6:23am On Apr 21, 2012
ocelot2006: Uhmmmm....there's one thing wrong with the story. There are no jets at the NAF's 98 Special Operations Airbase. Just BO-105s, and the Mi-35 attack helos. No jets.
Go do your research well. The OP got it wrong. It was a military Helicopter the fired the missile not a jet
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ishmael(m): 6:41am On Apr 21, 2012
@Ocelot2006: you got it right but just a little error probably a typo error. The NAF PH unit is 97 Special Ops Group and not 98.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Jiah011(f): 7:57am On Apr 21, 2012
UFOs don reach Naija, abi? Na wah for this country! Thank God this happened too early to have injured anyone. At least according to the reports. Who knows if there were a few unlucky early risers. Incompetence at its finest. How can they "accidentally" fire a missile where civilians are? As some said before, Nuclear Energy should be reconsidered. Imagine, now add stray missiles to fears Nigerians should worry about. What are those people at Aso Rock really doing?
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by naptu2: 8:14am On Apr 21, 2012
Summary of theories

Airforce Jet accidentally fires missile - Sahara reporters and Crown Prince

Mi-35p Hind Helicopter Gunship accidentally fires missile - Vangaurd and others

It was an oxygen or hydrogen bottle explosion - the guy below.

blayz0923: Dumb commissioner of police. Did he do his investigation right? I was in one of d hangers just opposite d said explosion this morning. It was an oxygen or hydrogen bottle explosion. A missile was shot on mistake? And some of u una don chop d story? There is no jet at the airforce base in d first instance. That was how in 2005, the IGP Ehindero said they had found d black box of bellview airlines, and said it black box is black in colour.
Pls d police should mind their business.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by coded777: 8:15am On Apr 21, 2012
Nairaland comments is something else.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Reference(m): 9:00am On Apr 21, 2012
GAR3TH: I thought NAF port harcourt handles military helicopters and not jets, its NAF lagos, kano, makurdi that handles military jets

I have a feeling it was a Mil Mi-24 , which are commonly seen at NAF Port Harcourt and not a fighter jet.

This is what other reports say. That the munition hit a car demolishing it before punching a hole through the adjoining house. It couldn't have been launched fromthe base to by-pass the whole of Elekhaia, Transamadi and end up in Woji without being air launched.

However this brings to the fore the siting of military bases and especially lethal arms and munitions in urban areas. The F18 crash in the US and the Ikeja bomb blast are stark reminders.

Whenever I see those gunships flying over Portharcourt fully armed I say its only a matter of time.

We remain under the shadow of the military who insist on retaining prime real estate to the detriment of the general public. It took the intervention of OBJ for the Airforce to allow the East-West access in Portharcourt and the Parliamentary Extension in Calabar. Build those areas at your risk.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by naptu2: 9:17am On Apr 21, 2012
Port Harcourt tragedy: Rocket from overflying Air Force jet destroys building, car

By Bisi Olaniyi, Port Harcourt

A rocket from an overflying Nigerian Air Force (NAF) jet unexpectedly went off yesterday in Port Harcourt and destroyed a residential building and a Nissan Primera 2.0 SLX salon car.

No life was lost or injured, although the rear glass of the car was shattered.

Occupants of the house, which is still under construction, and others in the neighbourhood scampered to safety as the rocket exploded.

So strong was the impact of the explosion that it threw the car from where it was originally parked beside the house to the frontage. 

The jet was on a pre-planned/routine inspection when the rocket accidentally fell off its receptacle on the jet.

The damaged building is adjacent the popular St. Nicholas Anglican on Woji Road. 

The owner of the damaged building, Mr. Eric Chioma, told The Nation that the incident occurred around 7 am.

It shook the house to its foundation and exposed some of the iron rod used for the decking. 

The walls of the one-bedroom flat on the first floor hit by the rocket were damaged and only the metal railings on the balcony stopped the floor from caving in. 

Chioma said: “The building may collapse anytime from now. Only experts can determine the extent of damage. We want government to help us.

“When the rocket hit the building, people were shouting fire, fire, fire! We saw smoke coming out of the affected flat. Everywhere was vibrating. We are yet to recover from the shock.

“The Commissioner of Police in Rivers State, (Mohammed Indabawa), Air force  Commander (Air Vice Marshall Abba Zannah), Rivers State Director of SSS  (Segun Agbaje) and other top security officials later visited the scene. Men of the anti-bomb squad went away with the rocket.”

The Commander of the 92 Special Operations Group (SOG), Air Vice Marshall Abba Zannah, confirmed the incident.

Zannah, who briefed newsmen in company with Agbaje said the incident could be as a result of system failure (electrical/mechanical) or human error.

The Air Force chief said there was minimum damage to the building, with investigations ongoing, while the outcome would assist the NAF to step up measures to prevent a re-occurrence.

Zannah, Indabawa and Agbaje also urged Rivers State residents to remain calm and go about their lawful businesses. He described the occurrence as rare and isolated.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/43865-port-harcourt-tragedy-rocket-from-overflying-air-force-jet-destroys-building-car.html
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 9:21am On Apr 21, 2012
Mynd_44:
Go do your research well. The OP got it wrong. It was a military Helicopter the fired the missile not a jet

Read my post again. I said NO JETS are stationed at that Airforce airbase. Just Attack and Utility Helicopters. READ.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 9:25am On Apr 21, 2012
ishmael: @Ocelot2006: you got it right but just a little error probably a typo error. The NAF PH unit is 97 Special Ops Group and not 98.

True. I tend to mix it up. Thanks for the correction.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 9:31am On Apr 21, 2012
Buc: If d chinese had a hand in d production of any part of d missile or d launcher, or may be they trained d men, because a corrupt ruling class plus d chinese, God save Nigeria.

No Chinese parts. Definitely Russian. But it could be an issue of negligence. Anyway, let the NAF's accident investigation board carry out their investigation.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Remii(m): 10:37am On Apr 21, 2012
str8_talk: Residents of Woji or PH, bware of BH,mayb d missile fired was to smoke out som BH guys in ur neighbourhood.

lol, everything is now BH, even clear armed robbery is now BH action, na wa oo.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by stallion2: 6:59pm On Apr 21, 2012

good question- operation lapses or is FG trying to scare southerners?
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ajealadick(m): 8:06pm On Apr 21, 2012
Maybe its from North Korea. remember they are also seriously testing long range missiles. Do Americans or South koreans live there?
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by gists: 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2012
naptu2: Port Harcourt tragedy: Rocket from overflying Air Force jet destroys building, car

By Bisi Olaniyi, Port Harcourt

A rocket from an overflying Nigerian Air Force (NAF) jet unexpectedly went off yesterday in Port Harcourt and destroyed a residential building and a Nissan Primera 2.0 SLX salon car.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/43865-port-harcourt-tragedy-rocket-from-overflying-air-force-jet-destroys-building-car.html

Finally, a report that make sense. I just don't bliv a jet (or helicopter) under maintenance will carry fire arms and if it did for any reason, the rocket should have destroyed the hanger because it should be "parked" in a hanger if its truly under maintenance as opposed to taking off from the NAF base, flying over 3km and hitting a building. It just didn't add up.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by billyG(m): 11:15am On Apr 22, 2012
wetin we no go hear 4 naija a missile cannt b fired frm d grd & hit a house 3km in woji without hitting d nearest buildg or naf fence,nig police tell us another story or are u afraid of naf, ona no want them 2 shave ona heads wit broken bottles,that jet flew ovr woji,who armed a jet @ peace time,is d pilot an islamist frm d north?wo authorise d flght?head must roll.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Election Shift: IPMAN Directs Members To Reduce Fuel Price To N140 / FG, States, LGs Share ₦547 Bilion As May Federation Allocation / No Governorship Election In Yorubaland In 2022 - Banji Akintoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.