Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. (14992 Views)

Nigeria Warns North Korea Over Ballistic Missile Test & Nigerians React (pics) / Live Pictures Of Ongoing Biafra Protest At Building Material Ogidi Anambra State / Willie Obiano At Building Material International Market, Ogidi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by badesco(m): 3:23pm On Apr 22, 2012
This is a tragedy and all officers involved should be made to face the law.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by NET1(m): 7:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
Dual Core:

This is the only correct eye-witness account I am seeing here. It happened just opposite the stores between Mini-Woji road and the Anglican Church. No injuries were recorded because businesses hadn't started work. If it was in the afternoon it woulda been a different story. I was standing beside the building last week Thursday, there's nothing uncompleted about that building.

On the fun side of things could it be one of the new Air Force recruits they were testing? ...if this actually came from the Air Force.

...As someone has stated, there's nothing like an accidental discharge of a missile. To the best of my knowledge such kill switches do have a glass cover you have to voluntarily pull up before you get to the kill switch. No reflex or involuntary action can pull off that safety cover in one direct and press the kill switch in another direction.

Dual core,

do you live in PH? Quite interesting. I'd love to meet you o. Maybe for a few classes in webprogramming. do you mind?

.NET
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by shoboy9: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
What's this set of lies about? You can not launch a missle accidentally. And it must have been done from the air or there would be eye witness accounts of its flight path. During maintainance, you can't leave a live missle on talk less of launching it. And since there are no fighter jets stationed in the niger delta, it must have come from a helicopter. Likelly a "Hind" Mi-35.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Teetams: 11:47pm On Apr 22, 2012
It was near my house at NAF Base...Tot it was an atomic bomb!!!
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ajogbemi: 7:34am On Apr 23, 2012
it actually happened in woji almost opposite a big Anglican Cathedral Church.Either accidental or conscious only God n the person knows.But,we thank God it was not to the Church.I live in that area and confirms it does happened.Thanks be to God NO casualty. God need to really help us in Nigeria to be highly safety conscious.If not for God hummmm
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Eduman7: 8:46am On Apr 23, 2012
ThankGod.a burial ceremony was held b4 dat day.wounder wat culd hav hapined, if it was d burial day.no life lost but only a car dat was packed beside d house was damaged.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 12:08am On Apr 24, 2012
In my opinion, I think it may be an onboard electronic issue cos the pilot or co-pilot/gunner have to arm the rocket pods and canons/minigun for the weapons to go live. And I sure as hell know that the pilots aren't crazy enough to open fire in a highly populated area during routine patrols. I think the investigation board may have to place more focus on the maintenance of these attack helos.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by ocelot2006(m): 12:14am On Apr 24, 2012
Reference:
This is what other reports say. That the munition hit a car demolishing it before punching a hole through the adjoining house. It couldn't have been launched fromthe base to by-pass the whole of Elekhaia, Transamadi and end up in Woji without being air launched.

However this brings to the fore the siting of military bases and especially lethal arms and munitions in urban areas. The F18 crash in the US and the Ikeja bomb blast are stark reminders.

Whenever I see those gunships flying over Portharcourt fully armed I say its only a matter of time.

We remain under the shadow of the military who insist on retaining prime real estate to the detriment of the general public. It took the intervention of OBJ for the Airforce to allow the East-West access in Portharcourt and the Parliamentary Extension in Calabar. Build those areas at your risk.

I don't know about flying fully armed. But when I see those Mi-35 attack helos fly on routine patrols in PH, they do so with only their side canons and no rocket pods or missiles attached to the racks on their winglets. In VERY rare cases, they fly drop tanks or pods.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by politicalpastor: 1:27am On Mar 12, 2013
naptu2: Police Say Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At A Port Harcourt Building

The Rivers State police command said a loud blast heard in Port Harcourt earlier today was that of a missile accidentally fired from an airforce jet on routine maintenance at the Airforce mechanic hangar in Port Harcourt.

Commissioner of Police Mohammed Indabawa told Saharareporters that the missile hit an uncompleted building three kilometers from the scene of the accidental discharge. He said no death or injuries were reported.

Panicked residents had reported hearing a deafening explosion in Worji area of Port Harcourt around 7:30 AM

http://mobile.saharareporters.com/news-page/police-say-airforce-jet-accidentally-fires-missile-port-harcourt-building

that pilot and the jet should be deployed to mali or aghanistan immediately for a continious Action.
nigeria is not even ashem of this news? oh my God.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by DisGuy: 10:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
na wa o, somthing like this happen and not a single picture or conclusion in the local media?
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by mekaboy(m): 11:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
The people of SS are simply warning the north to prepare for battle. While dey are throwing bomb, they will use missiles.
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by Ikenna74: 11:51pm On Feb 24, 2019
Everything is just wrong with Naija
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by iwai: 12:26am On Feb 25, 2019
Plan to rig apc don fail
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by tck2000(m): 10:06am On Sep 18, 2019
Hmm
Re: Airforce Jet Accidentally Fires Missile At Building In Port-harcourt. by wingmanIII: 10:24am On Sep 18, 2019
The whole story doesn't add-up. Do you know the distance btw woji(where the explosion supposedly occured) and the NAF base or was the missile shot from the air?
Any woji NLder to clear the story?

Very possible. The missile trajectory will not follow the road, it will be as crow flies which is a straight line.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Terrorism: Telecom Firms Threaten To Cut Off North (Pics) / Osinbajo Calms FCT Protesters At Gossa / Edu, Shehu Would Have Survived Under Buhari – Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.