Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,781 members, 7,841,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? (13398 Views)

Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People? / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by na2day2(m): 1:49pm On Nov 13, 2007
BROS, U R RIGHT ON THE MONEY grin grin grin grin

moondust:

I wonder if there's anything that women don't want men to do for them these days. . .he's supposed to clothe u, feed u, carry the baby, do the dishes, cook, and carry all the baggage, if not he doesn't love u. . .what manipulation.
yet the only thing they actually want to do for themselves is compete with men, status wise. . .good goin!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by mimibrown(f): 2:04pm On Nov 13, 2007
trust me some Nigeria men are so full of shit grin sad
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by iskil: 3:55pm On Nov 13, 2007
chiogo abi wetn b ya name? Thank ya stars say u neva reach marraige level, wen u reach u go sabi SCORES!!!! grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by seun001(m): 5:37pm On Nov 13, 2007
hmmmm,lazy,i dont think so.
as for me,i dont see myself going shopping with my wifey.reason?from experience
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Ralvy(m): 6:11pm On Nov 13, 2007
I see. . .
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 13, 2007
@ the poster there are several aspects of our Nigerian abi African culture I hate more than leprosy.
Our culture is generally unfair to the woman.
She is expected be a working Jackie in the daytime and Marilyn Monroe when the sun goes down.

Take a trip to Nigeria,a woman would be going to a market with bom boi tied to her back and she'll return carrying stuff on both hands and walking 2 miles while her "Mr Nigeria" is playing ludo with his friends,scratching himself and whistling at little girls passing by.
On her return she is expected to cook the meal,feed the kids,feed the man and keep the home,the kids and herself clean.

Then fast forward to America,the average Nigerian man is working in some dead end job or driving cab while his wife is jumping from one nursing home to another working 24 hour shifts and picking up home visits in between.
It ain't right.

There are of course hard working Nigerian men and I know several but our culture sadly leaves a woman with so much burden and when I read "things fall apart" men ought no to be loafers.
They should be getting the bigger bacons not the other way around.

The insensitivity part is cultural,a woman is expected to carry the load,she's expected to stretch herself like chewing gum without complaint.
It ought not be so.

Any woman that ends up with an insensitive man ought to teach him nicely,in a loving way,not being condescending.
Many of them are fast learners,some,however, need prayer and much fasting
grin
I still insist that not all our men fall into this category.
Some have trained themselves to be loving and and not overburden the woman and shaken off the ugly dust of some of our culture.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by almondjoy(f): 11:18pm On Nov 13, 2007
nwando:

@ the poster there are several aspects of our Nigerian abi African culture I hate more than leprosy.
Our culture is generally unfair to the woman.
She is expected be a working Jackie in the daytime and Marilyn Monroe when the sun goes down.

Take a trip to Nigeria,a woman would be going to a market with bom boi tied to her back and she'll return carrying stuff on both hands and walking 2 miles while her "Mr Nigeria" is playing ludo with his friends,scratching himself and whistling at little girls passing by.
On her return she is expected to cook the meal,feed the kids,feed the man and keep the home,the kids and herself clean.

Then fast forward to America,the average Nigerian man is working in some dead end job or driving cab while his wife is jumping from one nursing home to another working 24 hour shifts and picking up home visits in between.
It ain't right.

There are of course hard working Nigerian men and I know several but our culture sadly leaves a woman with so much burden and when I read "things fall apart" men ought no to be loafers.
They should be getting the bigger bacons not the other way around.

The insensitivity part is cultural,a woman is expected to carry the load,she's expected to stretch herself like chewing gum without complaint.
It ought not be so.

Any woman that ends up with an insensitive man ought to teach him nicely,in a loving way,not being condescending.
Many of them are fast learners,some,however, need prayer and much fasting
grin

I still insist that not all our men fall into this category.
Some have trained themselves to be loving and and not overburden the woman and shaken off the ugly dust of some of our culture.

Gosh! I just love you +osisi! True word. May joy be yours always! The thing na wah oh!

Please men, listen to the cries of your wives oh--they are dying of the "heavy load" you guys are heaping on them. Please lift the curse and free them.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Leilah(f): 12:59am On Nov 14, 2007
Presido i know many a naija family and many naija men (through my hubby that is) I have also been down there.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Leilah(f): 1:13am On Nov 14, 2007
Wow this is interesting I actually never thought of the impact this had on my husband. Please help me here. I cannot drive. Myhusband can drive, we both work and split the bills 50 50. I do the cooking all of the time. However becuase I cannot drive I ask him to take me to the grocery store and it ends up we have to go in together becuase our child wants it that way I do offer to go in alone but he just comes in. I notice that he has a very blank look on his face. So it is true that naija men are not supposed to be seen in supermarkets
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by debosky(m): 2:02am On Nov 14, 2007
Leilah:

So it is true that naija men are not supposed to be seen in supermarkets

Go and visit Nigeria. . .if you don't see any men there, your question will be answered *hisses* oh i forgot. . .you've 'been down there' - did you see the men scampering in fear at the sight of a supermarket?

This topic is overly generalizing. . .there are different types of men based on background, upbringing and societal influences. Some are lazy and insensitive. . .but so are many of the women as well. Different men act in different ways.

this so called 'cultural' thing is what I don't believe. . .in the 'olden' days wouldn't the man also be out doing back breaking work on the farm all day before he returns home? Or did they just sit down and stare at nubile young women then too?

You get the type of man you deserve - if you don't notice this 'insensitivity' before getting married, its no ones fault, thats why you should court till the initial honeymoon feeling disappears so you can see the true person.

I don't know what 'typical' represents in your neck of the woods, but in mine - both the man and woman do their tasks with zeal and dedication, each one helping out the other as needed. There is no one laying back and having fun while another does all the work.

Its like me saying 'Are Nigerian women just talkative or Just Complete blabbermouths who love recharge cards?'
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by naijadiva2(f): 2:06am On Nov 14, 2007
Its like me saying 'Are Nigerian women just talkative or Just Complete blabbermouths who love recharge cards?'

which is kind of true. although i don't know about the whole recharge card thing.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by debosky(m): 2:13am On Nov 14, 2007
the recharge card thing is to buy air time on GSM cell phones to pursue the talkative/blabbermouth habits

Just wait and see. . .some people may try to crucify you for saying its kind of true. wink
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by naijadiva2(f): 3:03am On Nov 14, 2007
debosky:

the recharge card thing is to buy air time on GSM cell phones to pursue the talkative/blabbermouth habits

Just wait and see. . .some people may try to crucify you for saying its kind of true. wink
i'm ready, i'm nigerian and i'm a female and i didn't get mad at you for saying it.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by almondjoy(f): 6:01am On Nov 14, 2007
Una fit each other. No problem then! Sensitive man jam sensitive woman. Allah be praised!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by seun001(m): 7:24am On Nov 14, 2007
@nwando,
is that the sitituation u have found all the peeps u know, cos in my world its the opposite.in my world,i have been thot to provide everything that makes live comfi for my wifey and family.at least i know it aint my culture.

@leilah,
well,i thot in america,women are crazy abt the equality thing,so u shouldnt be complaining abt sharing 50-50 abi grin

and by the way,i avoid going to the supermarket with the female folks cos they end up asking abt everything they wanna buy and even buy it anyway even if u said it aint no good.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Gent: 9:01am On Nov 14, 2007
Very wrong 4d man 2 allow his wife go thr. such stress. Lets not return 2d days of old in Africa where d woman is compelled 2 pass thr. similar stress. Please, men should show love to their wives especially in Africa by not letting them 2 over-labour themselves, they are the weaker sex, remember! :
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Leilah(f): 2:55pm On Nov 14, 2007
I just wanted an insight into this issue. Whatever about 50 50 some weeks it 75 to 50 it depends but I can say that I do all the household chores and the cooking so really it is not 50 50, when it comes to bills etc it IS 50 50, folks this is not the issue. Debosky thank you for your response it makes sense now just I was not sure how this is handled in the culture but now it is more clear - it just depends on the person. smiley
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by omoge(f): 3:16pm On Nov 14, 2007
50 50 for bills? shocked the guy should pay all the bills grin anyway guys should help their women push cart, carry shopping bag, etc.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by londoner: 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2007
I dont see why the guy should pay all the bills. Unless the woman is a housewife or stay at home Mum.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by omoge(f): 4:00pm On Nov 14, 2007
@Nwando
On her return she is expected to cook the meal,feed the kids,feed the man and keep the home,the kids and herself clean

African woman, God bless them  cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by almondjoy(f): 8:53pm On Nov 14, 2007
Suffering and Smiling African Woman!!!! cry
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Nwaka77: 4:11am On Nov 15, 2007
@ Nwando
Excellent post

@Almondjoy
Abi O! so sad. That is why some of them (African/Nigerian women) don't live long. And they also look older than their age due to sufferhead undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by almondjoy(f): 5:27am On Nov 15, 2007
Nwaka77:

@ Nwando
Excellent post

@Almondjoy
Abi O! so sad. That is why some of them (African/Nigerian women) don't live long. And they also[b] look older than their age due to sufferhead[/b] undecided

Have you seen the way most Nigerian women look in parties over here beside their husbands? You will wonder if they are wives to the men or mothers of the men.  Most of them look so tired and so beat down--with some serious stress pimples on the face and chest. Only the ones that have at least a 20 year gap between them and you can tell who is older.  I say it is terrible.

The ones in Nigeria?  Forget those.  Spend too much time keeping vigil--cannot even comb their hair out straight.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by aznshorty(f): 12:14pm On Nov 15, 2007
Me too, i had the same opinion w Chiogo who is the one created this topic, before, i was surprised when a Nigerian men let their gf to carry bag when all they can do is just walking with nothing on their hands, but now I get acquainted w all that grin maybe everywhere in this world has their own culture and we have to accept that wink
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by seabiotics(m): 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2007
According to the bible, aren't women supposed to be the helpers?  grin

Ok, Chiogo, I can understand the viewpoint you raised. However, you were a bit tad of the mark with the title of the topic. Rather than generalising, you should have couched your words in this manner: "Are some Nigerian Men Lazy or just completely insensitive?" Now, we know it is strictly not true to say that all Nigerian men are like that. In fact, some men who are generally insensitive can be seen as hardworking and vice versa. Laziness and insensitive are two relative terms not even attributed to Nigerians alone.

Having said that, there may be a number of reasons why the man in question was not carrying the shopping. Let me spice up some "tongue in cheek" statements here.

- The man may have just had an operation
- The man may be fasting
- The man may have just eaten and one lifting of any heavy object, and the contents of his pot belly
  will erupt resulting in serious loud farting (the bombshell type)
- It may be against the man's culture for him to carry goods while his wife is tagging along
- The man may be wearing agbada which is not conducive for carrying anything heavy
- Ekaete, the dutiful wife, does not want her darling "Orbi" to carry anything.

On a serious note, it is really important for a man to play a helpful role in every capacity, including being with their partner/wife when she is about to give birth. Now that is a real man.
It's not all about spending money. It's about being there for youe spouse. You are doing it for her, and not because someone is watching you or maybe you'll be ashamed of what they might say or think. Who cares? If a man is successful in business and to the outside world and can not hold or sustain his home, that man is a failure. Period.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by omoge(f): 4:31pm On Nov 15, 2007
they have cell phone. . . hand to ear. time for the woman to carry stuffs, time for the oga agba to do that calling grin

azn_shorty:

Me too, i had the same opinion w Chiogo who is the one created this topic, before, i was surprised when a Nigerian men let their girlfriend to carry bag when all they can do is just walking with nothing on their hands, but now I get acquainted w all that grin maybe everywhere in this world has their own culture and we have to accept that wink

hahahaha almondjoy grin even those fancy lace and satellite headties won't cover up the stress grin. African woman Kudos to you. You be tough breed wink

almondjoy:

Have you seen the way most Nigerian women look in parties over here beside their husbands? You will wonder if they are wives to the men or mothers of the men. Most of them look so tired and so beat down--with some serious stress pimples on the face and chest. Only the ones that have at least a 20 year gap between them and you can tell who is older. I say it is terrible.

The ones on Nigeria? Forget those. Spend too much time keeping vigil--cannot even comb their hair out straight.

Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 15, 2007
almondjoy:

Have you seen the way most Nigerian women look in parties over here beside their husbands? You will wonder if they are wives to the men or mothers of the men. Most of them look so tired and so beat down--with some serious stress pimples on the face and chest. Only the ones that have at least a 20 year gap between them and you can tell who is older. I say it is terrible.

The ones on Nigeria? Forget those. Spend too much time keeping vigil--cannot even comb their hair out straight.

Take off the wig and heavy duty pancake on her face and you'll them see the real Al Gore grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 15, 2007
seabiotics:

According to the bible, aren't women supposed to be the helpers? grin

Ok, Chiogo, I can understand the viewpoint you raised. However, you were a bit tad of the mark with the title of the topic. Rather than generalising, you should have couched your words in this manner: "Are some Nigerian Men Lazy or just completely insensitive?" Now, we know it is strictly not true to say that all Nigerian men are like that. In fact, some men who are generally insensitive can be seen as hardworking and vice versa. Laziness and insensitive are two relative terms not even attributed to Nigerians alone.

Having said that, there may be a number of reasons why the man in question was not carrying the shopping. Let me spice up some "tongue in cheek" statements here.

- The man may have just had an operation
- The man may be fasting
- The man may have just eaten and one lifting of any heavy object, and the contents of his pot belly
will erupt resulting in serious loud farting (the bombshell type)
- It may be against the man's culture for him to carry goods while his wife is tagging along
- The man may be wearing agbada which is not conducive for carrying anything heavy
- Ekaete, the dutiful wife, does not want her darling "Orbi" to carry anything.

On a serious note, it is really important for a man to play a helpful role in every capacity, including being with their partner/wife when she is about to give birth. Now that is a real man.
It's not all about spending money. It's about being there for youe spouse. You are doing it for her, and not because someone is watching you or maybe you'll be ashamed of what they might say or think. Who cares? If a man is successful in business and to the outside world and can not hold or sustain his home, that man is a failure. Period.

Thank God those were "tongue in cheek"
They can't all be recovering from scrotal hernial operation at the same time grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 15, 2007
@nwando,
is that the sitituation u have found all the peeps u know, because in my world its the opposite.in my world,i have been thot to provide everything that makes live comfi for my wifey and family.at least i know it aint my culture.

@ seun001
My brother,I'm thoroughly ashamed of a number of our men outside of Nigeria.
I don't know if someone did them juju,you even see some who held respectable positions back home,move here and turn into total bums in America and leave their wives to carry the family,working herself to death.
I hate to bash men (I'm a lover of a man grin)
but some really need a hot slap to wake 'em up.

I have a friend,a nurse,whose husband[b] will not work[/b],a man who had a good job in Naija.
They have tried opening a store,he has tried driving cab,he has tried driving trucks,but will come up with some story and quit and he is not alone.He's been at home full time now for 3 years plus.
There are many like him,sitting at home,eating kpof kpof and watching "Jerry Springer"
That is wrong.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Arnold1(m): 6:40pm On Nov 15, 2007
omoge:

On her return she is expected to cook the meal,feed the kids,feed the man and keep the home,the kids and herself clean

African woman, God bless them cheesy

LMAO @ bom boi grin

haven't heared that in ages
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by omoge(f): 6:58pm On Nov 15, 2007
nwando:

@ seun001
My brother,I'm thoroughly ashamed of a number of our men outside of Nigeria.
I don't know if someone did them juju,you even see some who held respectable positions back home,move here and turn into total bums in America and leave their wives to carry the family,working herself to death.
I hate to bash men (I'm a lover of a man grin)
but some really need a hot slap to wake 'em up.

I have a friend,a nurse,whose husband[b] will not work[/b],a man who had a good job in Naija.
They have tried opening a store,he has tried driving cab,he has tried driving trucks,but will come up with some story and quit and he is not alone.He's been at home full time now for 3 years plus.
There are many like him,sitting at home,eating kpof kpof and watching "Jerry Springer"
That is wrong.

eyaa sad oh!! that must be so hard for her. am sure there is something she can do now grin. like AA, kick him out grin
who dey fry that puff puff for him sef?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by janami(f): 7:05pm On Nov 15, 2007
i ve bin going tru this thread and laffin. kpof kpof, jerry springer hahaha
this thing swings both ways, see some guys just plain think a wife is a slave, but some are willing, really willing to help out but most times women abuse this. they tend to start disrespecting the guy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

An Honest Question From A Somali / Yoruba People Please I Need The Lords Prayer Translated: Ejo E Ronmilowo / Ogun: A Yoruba Word With Morethan 20 Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.