Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . (7286 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan On A Shopping Spree Abroad...photo / APC Writes Jonathan, Jega On Using Military For Elections / Oyinlola Writes Jonathan, Offers To Quit PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by chucky234(m): 11:34am On May 02, 2012
I don't know what to say anymore,GEJ has made everything boring and confusing.
I still ponder why its so difficult to probe those political thievies and eventually prosecute them or are they so big that the various agencies cannot arrest them,come to think of it these same agencies arrest,molest and prosecute ordinary Nigerians who stole N2000 yet leave political thievies to room freely on the streets.
Ah hmmm I tire O!
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by babaowo: 11:40am On May 02, 2012
kilimanjaro: Na transparent we go chop? GEJ is a mumu and nothing but a thicko mumu!
..... But he dey take hin mumu style reveal many secrets ooo...eg,like 1billion naira for food allowance.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by ken4th: 11:43am On May 02, 2012
GEJ, should act fast and endorse the prosecution of these thieves. but truly speaking some Nairalanders are too hard on GEJ, which administration in d time past has been as transparent as this. who ever knew how much is spent in Aso Rock while we call 4 d occupy Nija, we hope politicians will not highjack it o. A little patience and extermination of BH we will get there soon by God's grace
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by DisGuy: 12:01pm On May 02, 2012
babaowo: ..... But he dey take hin mumu style reveal many secrets ooo...eg,like 1billion naira for food allowance.

but lets be honest nothing is secret anymore in naija, i mean nothing surprises us, these budgets were there before, he needs to surprise us by
making actual cuts to reduce waste in the budget or restructuring the prosecution teams to get actual convictions.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Gbawe: 12:37pm On May 02, 2012
Dis Guy:

but lets be honest nothing is secret anymore in naija, i mean nothing surprises us, these budgets were there before, he needs to surprise us by
making actual cuts to reduce waste in the budget or restructuring the prosecution teams to get actual convictions.

My brother, Nairaland is simply one of the worst Nigerian forums in cyberspace when it comes to the strenght of political analysis. What "transparency" are folks talking about? GEJ is as shady as they come. The only problem is that events have conspired against him to the extent many, in his own Government, are more his saboteurs than minions ready to help him hide anything. GEJ is leading the most divisive Government I can remember in modern Nigerian history.

GEJ himself , not me or you, confessed that Boko Haram has infiltrated all levels of his Government. There are folks very high up in GEJ's Government feeding Boko Haram with sensitive info. We even saw a PDP Governor shielding a fugitive, linked with terrorism, in his official Government lodge. What then is the point, when GEJ leads a subversive Government, for Jonathan to try and hide anything? Those looking to undermine him will simply put info 'mysteriously' in the public domain that will make a fool of any attempt at a cover up by GEJ.

Blind supporters of GEJ, too fond of ethnic jingoism to see reason, forget that Bukola Saraki started this whole subsidy probe headache for GEJ, Allison-Madueke and co by moving a motion on the NASS floor that 'whetted' the apetite of the Senate. Do folks think Saraki did this because he is staunchly patriotic and anti-corruption or is he acting out a well-supported script to embarrass a Government whose top members are also heavily steeped in misconduct and corruption themselves?

Also, is anyone foolish enough to think GEJ or Allison-Madueke would ever have instigated what Saraki did to get us where we are today when they had being happy to go along with the previous state of affairs? Did GEJ not even demonstrate trust in the NNPC by conceding our refineries , astoundingly and senselessly, to the "home of corruption"?

A case could be made for "transparency" if GEJ and Allison-Madueke had willingly moved to expose all what we are seeing now but we all know the truth i.e their hands has been forced and they know a cover-up is playing into the hands of the many enemies who "continue to dip their hands and eat with you and you won’t even know the person who will point a gun at you or plant a bomb behind your house.” (GEJ's own words).

2 Likes

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by agabaI23(m): 12:37pm On May 02, 2012
Gbawe:

Absolutely. Guilty of wanton looting? Just bow and go oga GEJ ain't buvvered. Kabiru Sokoto arrested in your official Governor lodge? Abeg don't sweat it. Abetting the killing of ordinary Nigerians is no biggie under the 'laid back' President with no passionate belief in anything.

This , for want of a better word, is the most 'relaxed' President in the history of Nigeria. He absolutely does not believe in punishing any high placed Nigerian however heinous their crime is. The usual suspect can carry on with their distractive buffoonery of categorizing GEJ's endorsement of corruption and criminality as "transparency". They should tell us whether transparency International is now a "bigoted" organisation as well since the group has now announced that the corruption today "is beyond what it has ever dealt with".
Which other govt has since 1999? Apart from Bode who was prosecuted, who else?

BTW is it the presidents duty to prosecute criminals? Did you not read report about the high level of corruption in the Judiciary? Most of the time, useless technicalities are used to throw away reasonable cases when money has exchanged hands and yet you blame Jonathan for the inadequacy of the judiciary.
Let your hatred not becloud your sense of judgement.

1 Like

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by maasoap(m): 12:55pm On May 02, 2012
antartica: Corruption has been the bane of nigerian constitution since independence. The only difference now is that the big northern thieves like atiku have been side tracked,they are not major players in the current stealing,hence the chaos.

Show me a nigerian politician that is not a chronic thief,i will show u somebody like Pat Utomi or Wole Soyinka,the rest are all born rogues.
Wole Soyinka is not a politician and he was never a politician. But I present Buhari to you as a politician that was/is not corrupt.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Gbawe: 12:56pm On May 02, 2012
agabaI23:
Which other govt has since 1999? Apart from Bode who was prosecuted, who else?

BTW is it the presidents duty to prosecute criminals? Did you not read report about the high level of corruption in the Judiciary? Most of the time, useless technicalities are used to throw away reasonable cases when money has exchanged hands and yet you blame Jonathan for the inadequacy of the judiciary.
Let your hatred not becloud your sense of judgement.

My friend, give it a rest. If I start pulling out examples here, you will run away faster than Usain Bolt. The classic one would be Aondoakaa and the many who directly embarrassed GEJ and nearly destroyed our nation with acts of open treason, fraud and downright disgraceful conduct. They faked a pathetic recording in which a Yar Adua many insisted was in a coma, stated he will "return to his duties" . They forged the signature of a man in a coma , just to keep the loot flowing, to the total disgrace of Nigeria. Do I need to remind you of other things that went on in that pathetic period?

Now, name one single person that was punished for such high-handed perfidy, outright deception and undoubted treason? Did Aondoakaa not even have the temerity to align himself with GEJ's campaign team after all the problems he caused for GEJ and Nigeria? In many Nations, Aondoakaa et al would have faced the firing squad and Nigerians would have backed GEJ all the way because we want to see our enemies punished severely. Instead GEJ , sticking a finger up at Nigerians, actually turned around to begin empowering those who had worked against him and our Nation mercilessly. What more proof is needed that this is a man with a totally damaged moral compass?

The trend has simply continued. GEJ has simply carried on the way he began.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Omen100(m): 12:57pm On May 02, 2012
ziccoit:

Pls can I be your friend? You are very good.

and me too
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by tnktosin(m): 12:57pm On May 02, 2012
CyberG:

I think you are the ONLY one blind and dumb here but I will show you: No doubt, IBB was a corrupt leader but WAY smarter than the scum dumb Jonathan who is SO CORRUPT everyone around him can steal anything and will NEVER be prosecuted or punished, why? Because Jonathan is a bigger thief and even his wife had enough to steal with the $12 M stolen while he was Bayelsa Deputy Governor. Bad as he was the protests of 1993 effectively sent him out of power. Add extensive legal cases by Gani, public and targeted protests by Fela et al, many protests in Nigerian universities, did you say NO one looked IBB in the face? You must be very silly!

OBJ: Another imperfect and corrupt man comes along! But NO sane guy will compare Odechukwu Retardeen to OBJ who was not even preferred by his people. For all his faults, under his administration, Nigeria enjoyed its most recent and strongest economic bourgeois with Banks, Telecoms, Oil & Gas companies coming to Nigerian Universities to recruit new graduates. Nigeria for the first time had a voice in the international community, corruption was significantly on the downward trend, Nigeria could attend international events and see OBJ confidently and powerfully engage even presidents of the leading countries in the world without blinking, the Paris Club debt was negotiated successfully, Foreign Reserves grown to $ 60 B, Excess Crude Account around $ 30 B (correct me people if I am wrong and I will edit this), Nigerians abroad actually moved home from foreign countries, militancy was put down, out rightly corrupt people were shoved down and EFCC had its glory years, and I could go on.

Now tell me what this accursed fisherman bastard retardeen has done since he became VP? Even dead Yaradua is better than this excuse of a lunatic! Under OBJ, people accuse him of wasting $16 B on power contracts that were not executed or so and I am not here to speak for him but did you read what El-Rufai had to say in an interview on the issue, how the clueless leaders stopped the on-going work costing Nigeria more billions? Now that is in 8 years but in Odechukwu's 1st Year, ~2 Trillion Naira has been stolen when you consider the subsidy scam, pension, the frittering away of the $60 Billion foreign reserve which is almost depleted despite high all prices and ECA that now stands at < $5 Billion. You SEE you are totally MAD to compare OBJ to this FOOL that deserves to executed in the next COUP??

Mhen, I like this guy. Very well put.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Ogosoga: 1:17pm On May 02, 2012
FOR GEJ GOVERNMENT TO ALLOW THIS PROBE UNDER THE CORRUPT PDP PARTY, KUDOS TO HIM.
YOU GUYS SHOULD KNOW THE HEAT HE WILL BE GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW FROM THIS CORRUPT
PDP LEADERS THAT BROUGHT HIM TO POWER. NOW THE MASSES IS TACKLING HIM ALSO.
PLEASE SUPPORT GEJ TO EXPOSE MORE AND LET US FACE THE CORRUPT GOVERNMENT
OFFICERS AND NOT GEJ.

ASSUMING GET ASK FOR HIS CUT AND JOIN THEM, THEM ALL OF US WOULD NOT KNOW WHAT
IS GOING ON, THE PENSION SCAM HAS BEING GOING ON FOR A VERY LONG TIME,
ALSO THIS SUBSIDY SCAM HAS BEING GOING ON FOR A LONG TIME AS WELL, BUT FOR
GEJ ADMINISTRATION WHEN HE INTENDED TO REMOVE THE SUBSIDY ALL THE OIL THIEVES
DECIDED TO GO FOR BIG TIME CUT SINCE GEJ IS WISE ENOUGH TO STOP IT AND THAT IS
WHY WE HAVE THE TRILLION ISSUE COMING UP.

PLEASE SUPPORT GET SO THAT THIS PDP THIEVES SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO BOOK.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by maasoap(m): 1:37pm On May 02, 2012
Mmuo Okija: DID people bother to understand what that report was saying at all?!

They said and I quote

Now what I dont understand is wether they are complaining about the corrution probes (Pension and Subsidy probes) or that corrution has been unusually high this year. Now if it is the former, then they are talking rubbish as both probes are dealing with matters that have been in existence long before even the late Yaradua regime and they should be complimenting Jonathan for exposing them.

If it is the latter then they need to provide facts and figure to back their claims of corruption being on the increase in Nigeria.

My friend, don't get yourself confused over what you have already known. Fuel subsidy rise from 240 billion to 600 billion naira between 1999 and 2008, increase of 360 billion naira over a span of 10 years. Increment of 36 billion naira per year.
Fuel subsidy jumped from 600 billion naira under Yar'dua to 2.3 trillion naira between 2009 and 2011 under GEJ which was a span of just 3 years which means an increment of 550 billion naira per year. And yet you are still confusing yourself whether Transparency International means probes under GEJ or corruption under him. He is simply corrupt and incompetent.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by omosexy1: 2:08pm On May 02, 2012
It is not the job of the President to chase and prosecute corrupt officers. We have the Special Fraud Unit, the EFCC, ICPC, what are they doing. The law created these organizations to fight against corruption and fraudulent acts. If we feel the President is obstructing justice, the people should voice out the opinion.

I am not a supporter of Jonathan, never voted for him because of his platform (PDP), nothing good ever comes out of that party. However, I feel the criticism against the president is just too much. Though he has not done any tangible thing, rather than promises, Nigerians are now more political conscious and aware of government activities unlike the past. We should also note that we have House of Representatives, people who claim to be representing the interest of the country. What are they doing about corruption?

The fight against corruption is a collective one, Nigerians must influence their leaders and make them enact stringent laws, create a separate court for corruption and empower law enforcement agencies to fight this black disease. Nigerians must influence Anti-Corruption organizations and ensure that they prosecute corrupt persons (not only corrupt politicians but also normal citizens)
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Olaolufred(m): 2:15pm On May 02, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

cut the crap man,who told you? is this Govt not more transparency than Ibb/OBJ Govt,during the time of these two men who is bakare or save Nigeria group to question the Govt.Even who permit you to verify what oil/petroleum industry of Nigeria does? we are taking GEJ generosity for weakness.This is the best open and transparent Govt Nigeria have ever witness.During the time of our pass presidents who among Nigerians has the ball to step to the street for mass protest? sometimes we Nigeria masses act blind and dump.

You are a small boy with little info.
If nobody could question IBB/OBJ,
How come IBB had to step down on August 27th 2003?
How many times did Nigerians, Oshiomhole and Same Soyinka matched round against OBJ Government? More than 4 times.
Goodluck is not Generous but A squanderer. Though to you patners in crime, you will always see it as generosity.
Stealing from 159.9 million people to pay 100 thousand.
Goodluck attracted massive aggression because he was politically naive.
Because of his MUmu nature, He was ill-adviced to act prematurely on 31-12-2011.
Giving a premature birth of subsidy removal. He did not understand the figures fabricated to mislead him.
Since he is a simple dummy, he could not ask relevant question. You know how Rams behaved when following a butcher. That was how they pulled him into the ocean He could not swim through.
If not politically naive, A week before 31-12-2011, Boko Hara had attacked Madalla. That tension was still on ground.
So He brought himself into a situation where Nigerians reacted with aggression.
Truth is, his dirty deals are already exposed, It can not be covered up.
If Nigerians could resist they military, should they now be afraid of the so-called DEMON-CRACY?

1 Like

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Revolutnz: 2:25pm On May 02, 2012
GEJ is a TREE without ROOTS or rather, with BAD roots.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by ballabriggs: 2:52pm On May 02, 2012
Ogosoga: FOR GEJ GOVERNMENT TO ALLOW THIS PROBE UNDER THE CORRUPT PDP PARTY, KUDOS TO HIM.
YOU GUYS SHOULD KNOW THE HEAT HE WILL BE GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW FROM THIS CORRUPT
PDP LEADERS THAT BROUGHT HIM TO POWER. NOW THE MASSES IS TACKLING HIM ALSO.
PLEASE SUPPORT GEJ TO EXPOSE MORE AND LET US FACE THE CORRUPT GOVERNMENT
OFFICERS AND NOT GEJ.

ASSUMING GET ASK FOR HIS CUT AND JOIN THEM, THEM ALL OF US WOULD NOT KNOW WHAT
IS GOING ON, THE PENSION SCAM HAS BEING GOING ON FOR A VERY LONG TIME,
ALSO THIS SUBSIDY SCAM HAS BEING GOING ON FOR A LONG TIME AS WELL, BUT FOR
GEJ ADMINISTRATION WHEN HE INTENDED TO REMOVE THE SUBSIDY ALL THE OIL THIEVES
DECIDED TO GO FOR BIG TIME CUT SINCE GEJ IS WISE ENOUGH TO STOP IT AND THAT IS
WHY WE HAVE THE TRILLION ISSUE COMING UP.

PLEASE SUPPORT GET SO THAT THIS PDP THIEVES SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO BOOK.

[size=35pt]Another CCM Chartered Certified Mumu[/size]

When IBB wanted to remove subsidy on gasoline, he told us the same thing. The excuse was that there was a lot of fraud in the subsidy regime. However, he didn't tell us who committed the fraud. We all know IBB himself did. It is the same story with Jona. Everyone knows there is fraud but the question is "by who?". So to tell us Jona made us aware that there was fraud in the subsidy regime is plain stupid. Fact is that there was no subsidy in the first place as explained by Tam David-West. What we see is an attempt to raise further gasoline taxes to shore up the treasury depleted by Jona and his gang.

1 Like

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by MmuoOkija: 3:22pm On May 02, 2012
maasoap: My friend, don't get yourself confused over what you have already known. Fuel subsidy rise from 240 billion to 600 billion naira between 1999 and 2008, increase of 360 billion naira over a span of 10 years. Increment of 36 billion naira per year.
Fuel subsidy jumped from 600 billion naira under Yar'dua to 2.3 trillion naira between 2009 and 2011 under GEJ which was a span of just 3 years which means an increment of 550 billion naira per year. And yet you are still confusing yourself whether Transparency International means probes under GEJ or corruption under him. He is simply corrupt and incompetent.

You count the tenure under Yaradua as part of it abi?! When he was so busy trying to stabilize his government and prepare for a re-election.
How does a man who encouraged the stealing of subsidy money turn around and blow the seal on his own scam?! Isnt that tantamount to shooting himself in the leg?! How did you work that out sef?!

Please explain?!
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Demdem(m): 5:30pm On May 02, 2012
Nothing good can ever come out from the retardeen's administration. Just as it was in bayelsa, likewise is it at the national level now. It was "padi-padi" time throughout his stay in bayelsa. this has now been absorbed at the national level. The retardeen cant change. It may only look good from afar or to those who cant discern well, getting closer, one will realise that its poison.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Ibime(m): 5:45pm On May 02, 2012
Demdem: Nothing good can ever come out from the retardeen's administration. Just as it was in bayelsa, likewise is it at the national level now. It was "padi-padi" time throughout his stay in bayelsa. this has now been absorbed at the national level. The retardeen cant change. It may only look good from afar or to those who cant discern well, getting closer, one will realise that its poison.

Well some of them wanted "continuity" so they endorsed GEJ.

Continuity of corruption.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by supremebeing09: 6:50pm On May 02, 2012
It's a shame that in this day and age corruption has continued to taint the nation's integrity in today's globalized world. Not a day goes by without publications of corrupt officials in Nigeria (and trust me, the looted figures are quite disturbing). It's a shame the current regime has not done anything to tackle corruption. To be honest, Jonathan IS NOT the President of Nigeria. He's just a symbol to represent the nation's interests. And trust me the government's interest today is not beneficial for the public. Ever since the Ibori case, you could argue that the perception of corruption and the government's inability to tackle corruption was embarrassingly exposed by the UK government. Unfortunately, some Nigerians fail to think logically, celebrating Ibori's fame and his "governorship" while he was facing those charges.

Now, everyday - it is about the pension scam, this scam, that scam, people arraigned and nothing done. Let's make it clear that every President comes into power with their won discretion to make and change rules and bring culprits to justice. It's funny how the EFCC and other anti-corruption bodies have become a front for fighting corruption. Shouldn't this issues be handled by the courts of law? Even if the EFCC were to apprehend culprits, somehow, some way, the culprits will ALWAYS get away scot-free. Every other thing becomes a topic of debate amongst Nigerians. The rest, as they say, is history!

Corruption has no identity. It only identifies with whoever pulls the strings. The feasibility of corruption also depends on the activities of he who pulls the strings. Other past leaders have pulled their strings. The current leaders will continue to do so. Whether the past leaders were smarter yet effective is somewhat open to debate. The fact that rampant allegations of corruption continue to surface since Jonathan came to power signifies a despicable abuse of power, not necessarily by Jonathan himself but by those who operate within his jurisdiction. After all, bureaucracy and nepotism have cripped the country that we no longer have a moral conscience as to our obligations to rule and be ruled justifiably. When someone with no sense of political and public office conduct gets that chance to get a cut of the nation's resources, of course they would do so! Look at the pension scam - these individuals were given all that amount of money for pensioners but pocketed the whole thing?! If pension funds were handled this way in Europe heads will roll (down to the most powerful person, if need be). This highlights the importance of the public having a voice in a nation. In Nigeria, arms are folded with people anticipating their reactions to surprising stories... "Really? How? Why?...Hmmm...God help us".... END OF STORY. Another comes in and does the same thing. Life goes on.

The reason why corruption is also so rampant is because we have continued to abide by old rules and laws. I only come across Nigerian law when an armed robber has been arrested under the GOD-KNOWS-WHAT law. That is only when the Nigerian law applies. We do not have consistent rules of law to enable the correct governance of the country. Embezzlement, money laundering, extortion and nepotism will continue to be the norm as a result of inadequate failures to implement tougher and exemplary rules to deal with the issue of corruption. But hey, what's good for the goose is also good for the gander. If one's chance of becoming successful rests on the corrupt mind of another individual, the other individual will always favour the other party because of the benefits involved. Once the other party has made the wealth, the other party accepts the new form of wealth from the other party, compensating himself by addressing the new wealth as legitimate and justified. So, the notion of corruption is very cyclical in Nigeria. Until then, it's a merry-go-round issue in Nigeria.

It's a shame the presidency cannot address the issue of corruption. Well, we're all corrupt anyway. Yes, either consciously or unconsciously. But the fact that millions and billions of Naira continue to go astray without any probing questions leaves a lot to be desired. With the red tape and favouritism going on in Nigeria, we are yet to get to the root of the problem of corruption. An independent body (well-paid before hand o!!!!) cheesy cheesy so as not to be tempted - should carry out an extensive review on the issue of corruption in Nigeria. It should be recommended that:

Those who are culpable should be tried (after a shake-up of the Nigerian courts of law) with more power to investigating bodies (EFCC, ABCD, whoever).

There is a continuation of the independent body's practices with the power to pursue every investigation up to the courts of law.

There should be public awareness as to the consequences of corruption (we need to educate the public as to how corruption affects their social lives, development, growth and human rights) and the benefits of transparency and good governance. I say this because I do not know how or why people still continue to stick up for corrupt leaders!

If we cannot try this guys, which I hope we do, we can always hold enquiries as to their accumulation of wealth. There should be a reasonable threshold as to how much these guys should be worth (after all, they are bloody politicians, not business entrepreneurs). We fail to notice how there is a lack of history of politicians coming from a wealthy background (only a few - those who "chopped" even before their kids could walk to become governors!). Ibori was working at WICKES, convicted of monetary offences but still became a governor! No s**t he stole all that money!!!

We need economically and socially sound independent people to regulate government spending or budgets and monitor the implementation of such budgets around the country. The Nigerian government is always quick to dish out budgets based on the things written on paper than a feasibility analysis of the
budgets and projects involved in the budgets. No wonder we have horrid roads and lack of infrastructure.

Finally, we learn to embrace transparency and accountability. These are very important factors necessary in fighting corruption. This way, the public knows where and on what the public funds are spent by the individuals responsible for the public funds. Where issues arise, the public should be able to hold such individuals (or other involved parties) wholly accountable for their failures and lack of vision in handling the budgets or public funds. Appropriate punishments should be levied on the offenders accordingly.

UNTIL THEN, WE WILL CONTINUE TO LOSE OUT TO A HANDFUL OF CORRUPT INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE OBSESSED WITH POWER BUT LACK ECONOMIC VISION AND IDEAS. WE NEED INDEPENDENT BODIES TO REGULATE GOVERNMENT ACTIVITIES NATIONWIDE.

Trust me, corruption does exist in other countries. Corruption is not inevitable. Some people use corruption to better utilitarian reasons - they make sure some people benefit. For example, accepting kickbacks for certain contracts to go on. If the contract does go on, it benefits the citizens of the country. Never mind one's reputation or conscience being damaged. If the contract benefits the people, the means does justify the ends.
But when kickbacks are awarded and the contract does not go ahead, no one benefits. Only the individual who accepts the kickback and the contractor who pockets a lot of money. This is the case in Nigeria. We are the latter example. We have a long way to go before eradicating corruption but the sooner the better.

It's better to understand NORMATIVE ETHICS and its theories in order to understand the issues faced by Nigeria and corruption.

1 Like

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Spirit96(m): 7:01pm On May 02, 2012
1025: this is the worst govt nigeria has ever seen in the last 50 years.
BUT IT IS OFTEN SAID THAT D WORST CIVILIAN GOVT IS FAR BETTER THAN D BEST MILITARY RULE. HW TRUE IS IT THAT GEJ GOVT IS WORST THAN THAT OF IRONSI, GOWON, MURI, OBJ, BUHARI, IBB, ABACHA N ABDULSALAM?
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by SSaemoenl(m): 7:05pm On May 02, 2012
And he is not interested....fools
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by merengue: 7:27pm On May 02, 2012
Common sense is truly not common. How can a sane person say GEJ has allowed corruption cases to come out? Was it GEJ that put them out? The simple truth of the matter is this: access to information has never been readily available as it is now. Back then, we only had a few television and radio stations as well as newspapers and magazines. These people were easily identifiable so governments could clamp down on them (TELL, NewsWatch, The News and co). But now there are so many online news agencies who are faceless and cannot be bought, intimidated or controlled (Sahara Reporters, Premium News, Al Jazeera et al). There are social networks (BBM, Twitter, Facebook, Nairaland) where info can be spread anonymously and at an accelerated rate. Why do you think TELL has gone under? Left to GEJ, he would have done the same thing his predecessors did which is bribe, intimidate or harass the press(the arrest of Okey Ndibe last year by the SSS is a pointer to that fact). Get your simpering, sniveling noses out of your backsides and emancipate yourselves by getting informed, GEJ is just a continuation of that which has gone on before (corruption extravaganza).

1 Like

Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by ono(m): 9:38pm On May 02, 2012
Ibime:

Well some of them wanted "continuity" so they endorsed GEJ.

Continuity of corruption.

Coming from Ibime, well, I guess I'm not alone. I am really disappointed with the way GEJ has been handling the affairs of this country.
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by CyberG: 11:25pm On May 02, 2012
Olaolufred:

You are a small boy with little info.
If nobody could question IBB/OBJ,
How come IBB had to step down on August 27th 2003?
How many times did Nigerians, Oshiomhole and Same Soyinka matched round against OBJ Government? More than 4 times.

I think you had the year wrong there. Remember that after IBB, there was Shonekan, Abacha, Abdul Salam; OBJ came in 1999. By 2003, Obj was in his second term or so; I think the year you meant was 1993??
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by Nobody: 12:25am On May 03, 2012
Too much talks and no action is bad for this government and the nation. Put these people for life imprisonment - that would do!
Re: Transparency International Writes Jonathan On Corruption Rate . by supremebeing09: 1:50am On May 04, 2012
Mmuo Okija: DID people bother to understand what that report was saying at all?!

They said and I quote

Now what I dont understand is wether they are complaining about the corrution probes (Pension and Subsidy probes) or that corrution has been unusually high this year. Now if it is the former, then they are talking rubbish as both probes are dealing with matters that have been in existence long before even the late Yaradua regime and they should be complimenting Jonathan for exposing them.

If it is the latter then they need to provide facts and figure to back their claims of corruption being on the increase in Nigeria.

Even figures from 1800 will tell you that corruption has always been an issue in Africa and Nigeria does not fall short of it! They're only probably saying that they have been working on the data based on their evidence for a given period of time. They only just published it. The fact that there have been too many allegations of corrupt practices substantiates the evidence. If Yara'dua was still alive and corruption was rampant I'm sure they would have still written to him if they had to.
These guys are an independent body and can only work with what they have and I can't imagine them obtaining data rather easily on Nigeria or other African countries. IF the article is indeed genuine, it is just about right in my opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyo, UK Firm Sign Agreement On Soya Milk Production / Someone has Provided Evidence exposing Amaechi & Fashola As Hypocritical Liars / Musician Who Insulted Buhari Now In Hospital PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.