Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? (17622 Views)

Oyinlola Reinstated As PDP National Secretary / Justice Ayo Salami Retires / Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by ibto75(m): 6:57pm On May 10, 2012
Justice Isa Ayo Salami was recalled today by the Nigerian Judical Council in a hotly contested meeting which got the learned judge recalled by 10 votes. 8 members of the body voted against Justice Salami's recall. More to come on this developing story.

Source: Sahara Reporter
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by egift(m): 6:58pm On May 10, 2012
Where the hell is Turkey abi na Beaf
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by U09ce: 7:06pm On May 10, 2012
Chai,d PDP has infiltrated d judiciary.d man waz suspended to forestall a credible judgement at Buhari-GEJ election trials.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 10, 2012
This must be a great decision if comfirmed to be true
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2012
DaLover:
All those that keep calling pdp as if there is a better party, a the partiez are the same jo...ACN in the form of AD ruled the SW for 4yearz with absolutely nothing to show......all the parties are the same....only that ACN and CPC are regional parties

If the AD had nothing to show, why were people soo eager to vote them back in the form of ACN?
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by lookmangiw(m): 7:19pm On May 10, 2012
Infact, when you talk about politricking, PDP have got it all. The whole script was already written. Take this guy out before the appeal court judgement on presidential election and return him after then.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by mapet: 7:26pm On May 10, 2012
I think on Salami issue we should not loose sight of 2 critical things;
1. On the strength of the evidences provided by PDP and ACN at all the trials, did PDP deserve to loose those elections YES
2. On the accusations of Oyinlola, Omisore et al.... Has anything been proven to indict Salami..... Well except Oyinlola, Oni and Omisore can establish sufficient evidence, then they have no hold on Salami on this one. The logs they are refering to is over 3months old and thus deemed unreliable; any Information Security professional will tell you how subsceptible logs are to corruption and the security they need to keep on logs

Now I looking at the below report, it would seem to me that Katsina-Alu influenced Salami's suspension for no just cause. 1. He illegally interfered in a matter that he had no power or jurisdiction over. Did you guys remember how the Supreme court illegally conveyed and gave verdict on Sokoto case; something that was not constitutional?

For me, reinstating Salami and reconcilling them will not save anything. The Judiciary has been dented and stained.

Why Salami should be reinstated – Uwais C’ttee report

On February 2, 2012 · In Law & Human Rights

1:18 am
Email2

By Paul Odenyi, Abuja

The Justice Lawal Uwais Stakeholders Judicial Reform Committee has indicted the National Judicial Council, NJC, of the Justice Aloysius Katsina-Alu era of high handedness and abuse of procedure in its recommendation for the suspension of the Justice Ayo Salami, former President of the Court of Appeal, PCA.

The Committee therefore, in its recommendations which had been submitted to the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Dahiru Musdapher asked for the recall of Justice Salami from suspension.

In asking for the recall of Salami, the committee noted that the reconciliation between the former CJN, Katsina-Alu and the former PCA was critical to the renewal of the good reputation of the Judiciary in the country.

A special sub committee of three comprising Justice Mamman Nasir, Justice Umaru Kalgo and Prince Bola Ajibola which was mandated to deliberate on the issue said in its recommendation that to maintain integrity of the Judiciary, restore confidence in both the Bar and Bench, the new Chief Justice of Nigeria and his National Judicial Council, NJC, should revoke the suspension and restore Salami to his position as PCA.

The report also said effort will be made to ask Justice Salami to withdraw his suit against the NJC and Katsina-Alu, while reconciliation between the two should be promoted .

Giving reasons for its recommendation, the sub-committee said it reviewed the reports submitted to the NJC by the Justices Babalakin and Umaru Abdullahi as well as the one by Justice Ibrahim Auta, chief Judge of Abuja High Court on the matter.

According to the report of three committees set up by the NJC to look into the matter, non found reason to indict Salami and wondered how the recommendation for his suspension (Salami) was contrived.

“This sub-committee does not intend therefore, to go into them in details. Suffice it to say that when this matter arose and it was realized that it would damage the integrity of the judiciary, the NJC appointed a committee from its members to reconcile the parties and maintain the status quo ante. The Committee included those of Justices, B.O Babalakin, A.B Wali, A.I Iguh, E .O Ayoola and A.A. Akanbi.

Justice Isa Ayo Salami and President Goodluck Jonathan

“The committee completed its assignment after going through all relevant documents from the Chief Justice and President of the Court of Appeal and found no misconduct on the part of Salami, PCA. It said further that the CJN as chairman of the NJC has no express powers in the constitution or in any law to interfere with any proceedings in any court. “ the report noted.

Since the motive of that committee was to promote amity between the two principal officers and save the judiciary of imminent public perception blunder, the NJC accepted the report, while elders of the profession who were members of the Babalakin Committee prevailed on Salami to withdraw his case. However, another incident occurred which was the proposed elevation of Justice Salami as Justice of the Supreme Court.

The proposal initiated by the Katsina Alu at the joint meeting of the Federal Judicial Service Commission and the NJC was turned down by Salami who said he did not wish to be considered for appointment to the Supreme Court. The proposal was later withdrawn.

The Justice Abdullahi Committee report

The Uwais Judicial Reforms Committee noted that the second committee headed by Justice Umaru Abdullahi considered and deliberated on all petitions brought before it by the NJC, adding however, that, like the previous report “ the Abdullahi Panel found, on the totality of the evidence before it, that neither the CJN nor the PCA was guilty of any misconduct on the petitions submitted against them.

[b]However, it established that the CJN (Katsina-Alu) wrote a letter as chairman of the NJC to the Justices of the Court of Appeal dealing with the Governorship Election Petition in Sokoto that they should “put on hold” the delivery of judgement in the petition until the petitions against them were cleared.

The Abdullahi panel said Katsina Alu was motivated more by apparent urge to protect the administration of Justice and avoid breach of peace. It wondered however, how reference to a breach of peace was made when the judgement of the tribunal which was to be delivered in Sokoto had not leaked.

In conclusion, the panel noted that if there was any possible threat to peace because of the pending decision of the Tribunal , the presiding Justices of the Court of Appeal in Sokoto was in the best position to know about it. In any case, it noted that “ Katsina-Alu CJN’s administrative decision that the case be put on hold should not as found by the Babalakin panel, be made by him. The CJN should not have in the first place written direct to the Justices in Sokoto judicial division as the power to do so lies in the President of Court of Appeal.
[/b]

The NJC had noted the Justice Abdullahi panel’s report that “ be that as it may, the panel had no difficulty in holding the view that under the constitution and the laws of the land, no apparent power has been bestowed on the NJC of which the CJN is the chairman to interfere in any proceedings before the legally constituted court.

The NBA Panel report

Regarding the panel set up by the Nigerian Bar association, (NBA), the Uwais Committee further noted in its conclusions that no case of wrongdoing or misconduct was established against Salami; and that indeed, his answer to the query by the CJN to him was fully justified.

The NBA committee was able to establish that Senator Umaru Dahiru, Senate Committee Chairman on Judiciary in company of Yahaya Mahmud, SAN, had visited Salami in his chambers during which period they tried to convince the PCA to interfere with the functions of the Sokoto Court of Appeal judges in the governorship election petition but without success.

The Justice Auta panel report

The Uwais committee was curious that after the Justice Abdullahi panel’s report was submitted the NJC again constituted a third panel, this time headed by Ibrahim Auta, to consider the report of Abdullahi and make recommendation for the consideration of the whole house. Apart from Auta, Justices Kate Abiri (Bayelsa) and Philip NC Umeadi (Anambra) were the other members.

The Auta committee merely adopted all the findings of the Abdullahi panel except the one relating to the code of conduct for judicial officers. In Auta committee’s view, Salami’s action of speaking to the media to “ ventilate his difference with the Chief Justice Katsina Alu,” contravened the provision of Rule 1 (1) and Rule 2 (9) of the Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers.

However, the Uwais Committee noted that the Auta panel recommendation was faulty because no where in the report of the NJC on the Abdullahi panel submission were allegations made against Salami for talking to the press or disclosing official information to the public.

Concluding, the Uwais committee said: “ on the whole, there was no evidence to show any form of misconduct on the part of Salami, PCA; to justify any sanction or punishment. It is not clear what other evidence was used or relied upon by the NJC at its emergency meeting of September 8, 2011 to suspend Salami from performing his duties as president of the Court of Appeal.

It is also pertinent to observe that the order for suspension was made when his matter was sub-judice.
“In the circumstances and in order to maintain the integrity of the Judiciary and to assuage public feeling and restore confidence in both the Bar and Bench, this committee therefore strongly advises the CJN and the NJC to reconsider its earlier decision on the suspension of Justice Salami PCA and reinstate him to his position as soon as possible and in that way assure the public that the suspension of Justice Salami as President of Court of Appeal is not ill motivated.”
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by ENEONWO(m): 8:34pm On May 10, 2012
This reinstatement was expected just immediately after the Court of Appeal judgment on Buhari vs Jonathan. The PDP and the President have achieved the purpose of removing Salami, which was to kill Buhari's Appeal against the predetermined judgement of the Federal High Court. They didnt want Salami to remain on seat during the Appeal because he would not play games with them against Buhari/ CPC. What a country!
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 8:52pm On May 10, 2012
Poor things! grin

Holy Bible:
Now faith [/b]is the conviction concerning those things that are in [b]hope, as if it were these things in action, and the revelation of those things that are unseen

-Hebrews 11:1

LOLZZZZZZ!!! grin
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 9:04pm On May 10, 2012
Oya mai pipul!
Dis thread is locked. Go and feast on another embellished story elsewhere. grin

Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 10, 2012
Jona Jona Jona!!! Jona self dey use soft power o. After consolidating his victory, he is bringing back what would have been an impediment to easy victory at appellate court.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by djeezy(m): 9:29pm On May 10, 2012
Reinstatement with retroactive effect, not just a term or art. That's a nice feat.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 9:32pm On May 10, 2012
There is no reinstatement. Why do 9ja's love rumours?
All that has happened is an NJC recommendation, which I believe the President will ignore (especially as the IGP has reopened the MTN telephone saga - more heads will roll cool).
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by 1025: 9:34pm On May 10, 2012
All those that keep calling pdp as if there is a better party, a the partiez are the same jo...ACN in the form of AD ruled the SW for 4yearz with absolutely nothing to show......all the parties are the same....only that ACN and CPC are regional parties

@dalover,
i will nominate you for the best liar of the year 2012. thief dey pass thief u hear. human beings are equal but some are more equal than the others.
do u know senator ndume is a pdp member as well as a member of boko haram. have u heard that any member of acn or apga are members of boko haram. alams and bode george including ibori are all members of pdp and ex-convicts at local and international levels. do u know a top member of apga or acn that are ex-convicts?
obasanjo slept with his daughter inlaw(his pikin wife) and he is a member of pdp, do u know any acn or apga member that did same?
which party dey dress like man enter uk and dress like woman comot? abeg, no compare pdp with any other party pls.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 9:37pm On May 10, 2012
kaeto: GEJ may not be the best we are having for this generation, but the way most of you yorubas go about it is quite alarming, please you guys should be well under-stood by nigerians o, i dont support him but. . .

It isn't Yoruba's.
It is just ACN people with their mushroom mentality, born off their mushroom, bigoted party.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by ibide(m): 9:42pm On May 10, 2012
Election tribunal judgements are almost gone so there is no need re instating him cause i don't sure if he still hav four years left
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 9:43pm On May 10, 2012
Where are all those dunces with a fatal affliction of stup!dity that were calling for Beaf?
I don appear gidigba! No shaking! grin

egift, houseboy (Rhino.5dm) mek una line up!
Oya dunces, tell me about your latest lil rumour; as usual, ayam here with the cure. grin grin grin

Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by ibide(m): 9:44pm On May 10, 2012
JLINKD: he was recalled in a hotly contested meeting, 10 voted for him with 8 against his recall.
may be they hate him
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by dayokanu(m): 10:08pm On May 10, 2012
Beaf: Where are all those dunces with a fatal affliction of stup!dity that were calling for Beaf?
I don appear gidigba! No shaking! grin

egift, houseboy (Rhino.5dm) mek una line up!
Oya dunces, tell me about your latest lil rumour; as usual, ayam here with the cure. grin grin grin

You don turn this asskissing into a career oo

Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by DaLover(m): 10:24pm On May 10, 2012
dayokanu:

If the AD had nothing to show, why were people soo eager to vote them back in the form of ACN?

You are asking me why Yoruba people went back to a Yoruba party after the Yoruba president left...hmm...this seems like a tough one, I would have to conduct a detailed research a come back to you on this one..
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by WhoIGoAsk: 10:31pm On May 10, 2012
kk
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 10:33pm On May 10, 2012
dayokanu:

You don turn this asskissing into a career oo

My broda, don't feel abandoned. Ayam working very hard with several research colleagues to find a resolution to your affliction of idiocy.
Bros, nutin is beyond diligent effort! See the evidence, bro! You will be cured! cool grin grin grin grin

[img]http://www.abe.pl/cv/blarge/2/4/2/9781861268242.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-WdXPPiMX2Gs/TuRKs0RYpoI/AAAAAAAAAgY/RLdOAkHL94M/s1600/Sheep+and+Goat+Medicine.jpg[/img]

Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Ninilowo(m): 11:04pm On May 10, 2012
Pady pady add am together; "army" arrangement. Arrraaangeee masitasiio!!!!
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Donmeca(m): 11:11pm On May 10, 2012
U09ce: Chai,d PDP has infiltrated d judiciary.d man waz suspended to forestall a credible judgement at Buhari-GEJ election trials.

are u alive or dead? Ur comment implies u must av posted from d underworld where Buhari cud av defeated GEJ in a free contest. Bit if ur still alive, den I make bold to infer n conclude that u slept for one n half yrs...and just woke up to type on NL
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Donmeca(m): 11:34pm On May 10, 2012
1025:

@dalover,
i will nominate you for the best liar of the year 2012. thief dey pass thief u hear. human beings are equal but some are more equal than the others.
do u know senator ndume is a pdp member as well as a member of boko haram. have u heard that any member of acn or apga are members of boko haram. alams and bode george including ibori are all members of pdp and ex-convicts at local and international levels. do u know a top member of apga or acn that are ex-convicts?
obasanjo slept with his daughter inlaw(his pikin wife) and he is a member of pdp, do u know any acn or apga member that did same?
which party dey dress like man enter uk and dress like woman comot? abeg, no compare pdp with any other party pls.

....and all diz hapnd cos they were all born in PDP....and have PDP blood flowing in dem? As 4 Ndume, recall he was a rep member in ANPP platform up till 2011 election fever...so when did he join BH as u sure know he is a member....b4 or after 2011? Bros I dey respect u b4 o
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by lagcity(m): 11:36pm On May 10, 2012
yemmight: I remember the meeting between odechukwu and Asiwaju recently. Now results are pumping in.

Yes, my brother. I remember that meeting too. grin
yemmight: I remember the meeting between odechukwu and Asiwaju recently. Now results are pumping in.

Yes, my brother. I remember that meeting too.
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Nobody: 12:25am On May 11, 2012
Beaf:

My broda, don't feel abandoned. Ayam working very hard with several research colleagues to find a resolution to your affliction of idiocy.
Bros, nutin is beyond diligent effort! See the evidence, bro! You will be cured! cool grin grin grin grin

[img]http://www.abe.pl/cv/blarge/2/4/2/9781861268242.jpeg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-WdXPPiMX2Gs/TuRKs0RYpoI/AAAAAAAAAgY/RLdOAkHL94M/s1600/Sheep+and+Goat+Medicine.jpg[/img]

bros eran ileya is that your medicine ? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by jpphilips(m): 12:56am On May 11, 2012
DaLover:

are you sure lagos state has nothing to show for ACN presence there over the years? or you just woke up from a quick self-service!ng session?
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by malc619(m): 2:00am On May 11, 2012
Beaf's frustration ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅$ ‎​S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ obvious.
I wonder how he feels right now.

@ D̶̲̥̅̊ topic:
I think D̶̲̥̅̊ justice has been served at last.
F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ Beaf ‎​Άŋϑ his Cohorts who are deeply
Frustrated my advice ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅$ :
GET Ά̲̣̥ GUN ‎​ΆŊΘ BLOW OF UR "WORTHLESS BRAINS"
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by Beaf: 2:54am On May 11, 2012
malc619: Beaf's frustration ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅$ ‎​S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ obvious.
I wonder how he feels right now.

@ D̶̲̥̅̊ topic:
I think D̶̲̥̅̊ justice has been served at last.
F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ Beaf ‎​Άŋϑ his Cohorts who are deeply
Frustrated my advice ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅$ :
GET Ά̲̣̥ GUN ‎​ΆŊΘ BLOW OF UR "WORTHLESS BRAINS"

My broda, is your keyboard infected with leprosy or is it just you freely expressing maddness?
Na wa o! grin

Comedy!
Re: Justice Ayo Salami Reinstated As President Of Court Of Appeal? by malc619(m): 3:05am On May 11, 2012
@Beaf
I wonder what Ʊ'r doing on dis thread.
Abi Shame nor dey katch Ʊ?

Or perhaps Ʊ've got some lies ‎​Άŋϑ half-truths Ʊ wanna feed us with..
Shameless LIAR N HYPOCRITE...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Clampdown On Intels: Stay Clear Of Politics, Frank Tells FIRS, NPA / Western Nigeria Governors To Bid For Murtala Muhammed Airport Concession / Abimbola Adelakun: "Femi Adesina Did Not Change" -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.