Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,149 members, 7,825,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? (33181 Views)

Four Reasons Why Lawyers Are Like Condoms / Is There An Online Directory Of Nigerian Lawyers Available? / Diminished Responsibility And Criminal Law-a Question To Nigerian Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 6:13pm On May 11, 2012
When will Nigeria stop wearing wigs looking like fools to the entire world?

I came across this article look how we look totally stupid to the world.

Check this article out and check out more pictures here:
Is now the time to remove wig wearing as part of court dress in Africa’s Commonwealth of Nations and those in the Caribbean?

http://dilemma-x.net/2012/05/09/is-now-the-time-to-remove-wig-wearing-in-africas-commonwealth-and-caribbean/

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/bahamas-02.jpg?w=540&h=360[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 6:37pm On May 11, 2012
This has to stop. What is wrong with black people? It is like we gained independence from the British...yet, black want to look like the British.

The British have even stopped wearing those stupid looking white and blond hair wigs. Those photos of black people on the link above really shows how stupid some black Africans and black people from the Caribbean look.

4 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 7:23pm On May 11, 2012
Just think about this.....what must white people around the world think and feel when they see black Africans and blacks in the Caribbean looking so stupid? The whites have to feel very impowered. They must being thinking...."look how dumb these educated black people are, yet they are so dumb they do not even know how dumb they actually look to the world."

4 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 9:10pm On May 11, 2012
When will Africans make Africans proud to be African?

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 11, 2012
Coloniial mentality.

Africans wants to out-white the whites.

6 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Martin55: 9:50pm On May 11, 2012
what must white people around the world think and feel when they see black Africans and blacks in the Caribbean looking so silly? [img]http://www.keyforex.info/cpu.gif[/img]
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Knegoyon: 10:51pm On May 11, 2012
Martin55 you are so correct. Nigeria likes to act like they are so powerful ...yet, look at their president when he takes the oath of office....he has these people looking like fools swearing him in.

This is the same thing in Ghana and in Zimbabwe. The presidents are sworn into office with people with wigs on.....fools. They actually look like clowns.

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:00pm On May 11, 2012
I phuking hate that wig. One akata chic like that saw it in one naija movie and was like wat da fukk!!

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by anonymous6(f): 11:04pm On May 11, 2012
Good question, I always thought it was weird but understood that it was sort of something that was always done since getting independence from the British but to me personally I don't think it is necessary though.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by igbo2011(m): 11:11pm On May 11, 2012
They are doig as their Egypitan ancestors

[img]http://www.site-ology.com/egypt/KING_115.GIF[/img]

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by CyberG: 11:11pm On May 11, 2012
LWKMD!! grin grin grin grin
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by coogar: 11:13pm On May 11, 2012
Knegoyon: When will Nigeria stop wearing wigs looking like fools to the entire world?

Is now the time to remove wig wearing as part of court dress in Africa’s Commonwealth of Nations and those in the Caribbean?

The use of wigs in British courts dates back to the 1680s.

The Commonwealth of Nations is an organization of 54 independent member states. All members except Mozambique and Rwanda were part of the British Empire, out of which the Commonwealth developed. Not all members nations of the Commonwealth’s courts wear wigs.

The BBC reported in 2008 that British judges in civil and family cases in England and Wales have stopped wearing wigs as part of a new dress code. The judges have also started wearing a new simplified design of working robes in court, with the aim of modernizing. Judges and lawyers working on cases in criminal courts will keep their traditional wigs and gowns.

In November 2011 it was announced that lawyers appearing at the United Kingdom’s highest court no longer have to wear traditional dress. The new guidance also applies to lawyers appearing before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, which sits at the UK Supreme Court building in Parliament Square, Westminster, opposite the Houses of Parliament. A practice had already been adopted in family cases under which advocates customarily appear unrobed. Supreme Court justices do not wear legal dress themselves. In the Supreme Court the justices themselves wear business suits – as did the Law Lords before them – but until now barristers appearing before them have been required to wear wigs and gowns.

Judges and attorneys in some of Africa’s Commonwealth of Nations and those in the Caribbean still wear wigs.

Some Commonwealth of Nations like: Canada, India, Pakistan. South Africa do not wear wigs.

India gained independence from the United Kingdom on August 15, 1947.
King George VI relinquished the title of Emperor of India in 1947.

Pakistan gained independence from the United Kingdom on August 14, 1947.
From 1947 to 1956, Pakistan was a dominion in the Commonwealth of Nations, under two monarchs. In 1947, King George VI relinquished the title of Emperor of India and became King of Pakistan. Pakistan became an Islamic and republic in 1956. Pakistan left the Commonwealth in 1972 and rejoined 1989. Pakistan was then suspended in 1999 and the suspension lifted in 2004. Pakistan was suspended again in 2007 and had the suspension lifted in 2008.

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/bahamas-02.jpg?w=540&h=360[/img]

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/bahamas-04.jpg?w=540&h=308[/img]

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/bahamas-05.jpg?w=540&h=269[/img]

[img]http://dilemmaxdotnet.files./2012/05/bahamas-06.jpg?w=540&h=355[/img]

I came across this article look how we look totally stupid to the world.

Check more pictures here:

http://dilemma-x.net/2012/05/09/is-now-the-time-to-remove-wig-wearing-in-africas-commonwealth-and-caribbean/

yes, they should!
they must be fools for wearing it in the first place.
i cannot imagine how those wigs smell after spending the whole day in that hot temperature
smelling like billygoats on heat. a nonsense practise that should have been scrapped since 1960.

3 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by purefella(m): 11:15pm On May 11, 2012
If Africans were the whites and the whites are Africans., television , cameras , phones will still remain in our dreams to use , I always wonder where we African's fell from
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by makizee(m): 11:15pm On May 11, 2012
I TOTALLY AGREE...TOTALLY...i always taught i was the only one that saw it so..

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Phonon: 11:19pm On May 11, 2012
To connect more with our African roots, I suggest that they substitute the wigs for 'gele'.NONSENSE!

2 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by babyboy3(m): 11:22pm On May 11, 2012
Thats not fair!

What about ladies wearing wig?

I want Brazilian hair, I want Peruvian hair etc they should ban all artificial hair or wig

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by tpia5: 11:22pm On May 11, 2012
@ topic

according to wiki, court wigs only got phased out in 2008, in the UK, and most likely the other countries will follow suit as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_dress

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Phonon: 11:22pm On May 11, 2012
Maybe Brazilian weave-on would be good to replace the white wig.:-)
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 11:22pm On May 11, 2012
A visiting American saw bunch of Nigerian lawyers and asked if they were going to a costume party

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Caporegime(m): 11:27pm On May 11, 2012
@purefella, we fell from Grace...but we will surely get back up its only time it will tak.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by igbsam(m): 11:28pm On May 11, 2012
And what do we say about dis wig that looks like a mop ? Na by force to wear wig ? grin :Please they should stop wearing mops on their head and face the real law thingy.

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by bb16: 11:29pm On May 11, 2012
I disagree, I would love to see the uniform retained. It's prestigious.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by damilola15: 11:39pm On May 11, 2012
They look ridiculous in that thing.
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Dyamante(f): 11:42pm On May 11, 2012
They banned them in Kenya already..the Chief Justice said its aping our colonial masters and that the climate makes them stuffy and uncomfortable due to humidity..Thank God because i could not picture myself in that as a lawyer

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by fredoooooo: 11:43pm On May 11, 2012
here we go again , just because the whites that introduce it are not using it anymore simply means we have to automatically stop using it . cant we just decide what we want without lookinq at the westerners? ....... sad sad sad
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 11, 2012
jerseyboy: A visiting American saw bunch of Nigerian lawyers and asked if they were going to a costume party
ahah aaa
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by OAM4J: 11:48pm On May 11, 2012
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by osat02: 12:14am On May 12, 2012
they should, it is long overdue cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by tushbobo(m): 12:23am On May 12, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]YES[/font]
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by dayorx(m): 12:36am On May 12, 2012
As usual we are quick to condemn what we have got. i think whether or not lawyers retain their wig and gown is a matter for them to decide. i am a lawyer and i think it is prestigious.however some lawyers choose to look scruffy in the attire, i think they r just dirty people because a right thinking person would not wear a dirty gown to court....whether or not we wear the attire it does not change the fact that our laws and our entire criminal justice system needs to be overhauled..
just like when the police uniform was changed it still did not stop them from collecting N20 on our roads

3 Likes

Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 12:37am On May 12, 2012
well i say let them keep the damn wigs if it symbolizes something! Will you say Africans should move around unclad so they don't look white? After all we used to be almost stark na ked before the Europeans discovered us! Please there are much more important things to worry about as a people to even begin to be considered as equals to other races!
Re: When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? by Nobody: 12:44am On May 12, 2012
A resounding YES to this post!!! You have just voiced out what many people have been thinking. It's just the height of ridiculousness seeing them in such. It's a sight of mockery, politically wise, colonially wise, and FASHIONABLY wise. grin We need a lawyer in the house to tell us how he/she feels about it. It's funny because we've not heard about anyone rebelling against the wigs. They must really love it.

Lol that picture is classic!!! grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Experience With A Random Warri Boy / Anna Makanju: Nigerian Working At OpenAI (Photos) / Man Sells Pure Water In A Corporate Wear In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.