Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Best Biography You Ever Read - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Best Biography You Ever Read (15516 Views)

Your Best Story Ever Read On Nairaland / :::the Sweetest And Most Touching Break-up Lines I've Ever Read::: / Whats The Most Interesting Novel You've Ever Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by hrhobi1(m): 8:40pm On May 14, 2012
Mein Kampf (English: My Struggle or My Battle by Adolf Hitler

Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by bittyend(m): 8:47pm On May 14, 2012
presfedrep:
shame on you. I blive those pple u mentioned also read a whitman man brainwash book(as u said) that why they were able to set their minds to their goals and achieve the extraordinary, and that why u were able to read theirs. Iti boribo.

They read those but they didn't let it define them, or make them memorable - just like I have read such books, but didn't let them define my outlook to life..

Awolowo and Enahoro were notorious for laughing at the British mentality..

Pius Okigbo, Fela, Wole Soyinka, and Aminu Kano are/were pure afrocentrists in their thought process, and way of life.

Mko Abiola was yoruba inside out..

You sir, need to emancipate yourself from mental slavery..
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by courage89(m): 8:56pm On May 14, 2012
hrhobi1: Mein Kampf (English: My Struggle or My Battle by Adolf Hitler

How would you describe this book?
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by bittyend(m): 8:57pm On May 14, 2012
hrhobi1: Mein Kampf (English: My Struggle or My Battle by Adolf Hitler

Here, we have it.. I have been vindicated lol!

Aurevoir!!
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Clemzy16(m): 9:00pm On May 14, 2012
I love the biography of chris rock
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 14, 2012
You must set forth at dawn - Wole Soyinka. One word, brilliant!!!
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by thehomer: 9:10pm On May 14, 2012
The African Child by Kamara Laye
The Strangest Man by Graham Farmelo
Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman by Richard P. Feynman

1 Like

Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by slimyem: 9:12pm On May 14, 2012
naijababe: You must set forth at dawn - Wole Soyinka. One word, brilliant!!!
i think that the book is a memoir and not a biography.
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by bigx(m): 9:15pm On May 14, 2012
[size=13pt]Currently Reading The Titan by Ron Chernow on my iPad,
Great Insight into the life of the All Time World's Richest Man
[/size]
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by hrhobi1(m): 9:16pm On May 14, 2012
courage89:

How would you describe this book?

AMAZING BOOK!!!

Adolf Hitler! The most famous, the most controversial man of the 20th century. Maybe the most controversial man since Genghis Khan. Or Jesus. Mein Kampf. The most controversial book in centuries. The swastika! The most controversial symbol in Western culture. If I’m going to start a new book at this point in my life, why not go with something that has some size to it? Not a Bob Dylan. Hitler and his book are matters that interest revisionists, that interest all those who want to destroy revisionism, and interests all those folk who watch the Network News. A book that gives me hope that 1 day I shall be president of Nigeria, then all currupt Nigerian politicians will be executed and there will a new dawn for the supreme black race. HBK Air ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by mrmofasa(m): 9:20pm On May 14, 2012
Joy of Service - Oladele Olashore
October Sky- Homer Hickam
Boy Racer - Mark Cavendish
Calling the shots- Michael Vaughan
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 14, 2012
hrhobi1:

AMAZING BOOK!!!

Adolf Hitler! The most famous, the most controversial man of the 20th century. Maybe the most controversial man since Genghis Khan. Or Jesus. Mein Kampf. The most controversial book in centuries. The swastika! The most controversial symbol in Western culture. If I’m going to start a new book at this point in my life, why not go with something that has some size to it? Not a Bob Dylan. Hitler and his book are matters that interest revisionists, that interest all those who want to destroy revisionism, and interests all those folk who watch the Network News. A book that gives me hope that 1 day I shall be president of Nigeria, then all currupt Nigerian politicians will be executed and there will a new dawn for the supreme black race. HBK Air ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If the book can make you execute all the corrupt leaders who have looted Nigeria; then, that's a book I'll like to recommend to all young Nigerians..

I'm coldhearted like that as well. If I ever become anything big in naija, a lot fingers would be burnt.. It's spare no one season, including family members.. You loot, you die - simples lol.

1 Like

Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by courage89(m): 9:26pm On May 14, 2012
hrhobi1:

AMAZING BOOK!!!

I agree with you. What an interesting character.

I actually have a copy, have just been too lazy to finish it. I think i've read up to chapter III, where he was narrating his sojourn in Vienna.
Now i have more reasons to finish the book. Thanks
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 14, 2012
Biography Francois Duvalier a.k.a. 'Papa Doc' by Roberto Alvarez. A timid medical doctor who later became President of Haiti and went on to consolidate his strong hold by practicing bad a.s.s 'VOODOO', instilling fear in his subordinates and opponents alike. He went on to run a secret police called 'tontons macoute' named after famous Haitian boogeyman who had powers to grab people and make them disappear forever. Intriguing transformation from a sheep to a wolf. Weird Awesomeness!!
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by hrhobi1(m): 9:29pm On May 14, 2012
MR COURAGE AND MR SHYMMEXX, NO BE SEY AFTER UNA DON READ MY BOOK FINISH UNA GO COME DEY FOLLOW ME DRAG MY PRESIDENTIAL SEAT THERE WILL THIRD WORLD WAR FOR UNA OH BE WARNED !!!
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by nagoma(m): 9:37pm On May 14, 2012
Let my people go - Albert Luthuli
Mahatma Ghandi
The time of my life - Margaret Thatcher
The making of northern nigeria - Yahaya Kwande
A right honorable gentleman- Abubakar Tarawa Balewa
Malcolm X
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by kbdrim(m): 9:44pm On May 14, 2012
A Right Honorable Gentleman-Sir Tafawa belewa by trevor clark
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by PHIPEX(m): 9:53pm On May 14, 2012
Dreams from my Father - Obama
Because I was involved - Ojukwu
The man Died - Wole Soyinka
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by ATMC(f): 9:59pm On May 14, 2012
God's generals- robert liardon
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 14, 2012
My Life- Bill Clinton
Sleepers- Lorenzo
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by gaffer: 10:17pm On May 14, 2012
Steve Jobs
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by darrytoz(m): 10:20pm On May 14, 2012
Gifted hands
Think big
Taking risk.........ben carson
Black boy
This are books tht kept on telling u tht no matter d situation u are bond to succed once u believe in urself.NL it is good to read.......
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Teenaba(f): 10:23pm On May 14, 2012
virgo:

Read some stories about the KKK by some black American authors I have long forgotten. I have a feeling this one will be hard to get in bookstores. My only hope is the internet.
Black Boy by Richard Wright can be found in book stores. Fred Douglas I had to download from the net. Used both for my BA dissertation in 2005. For other KKK novels I think your best bet would be the internet..
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by deebsman1(m): 10:25pm On May 14, 2012
@op, is okin biscuit not founded by chief e.o adesoye??
@topic, biography of john d. Rockerfella from wikipedia
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by courage89(m): 10:46pm On May 14, 2012
deebsman1: @op, is okin biscuit not founded by chief e.o adesoye??
@topic, biography of john d. Rockerfella from wikipedia

You might be right. Although, i'm not conversant with who Chief E.O Adesoye is, or his association with Okin Biscuit.
I checked the book again and realized that Odutola's biscuits brand name was "OFIN" and not "OKIN" as presented in my original post.
I will modify my earlier post. Thanks
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by MOBBDEEP: 10:57pm On May 14, 2012
If I am wrong, please someone should correct me.
'Black boy' was the book where the character had to cunningly tell his white bosses, when leaving for the Northern part of US, that he enjoyed them all along & that he was only leaving because of necessity. The atmosphere of this scene was so tensed in the words of the writer & he reportedly sensed being lynched to death if he had 'miss-yarn'.
It was a good book.

I'm soooo delighted that people are still reading in this our fast-paced age.
Kudos to you all the readers in the house. I can certainly & gladly say 'we belong together'.
I've read quite a lot of novels, biographies & autobiographies but non has ever been close to this book :
MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER By McCALL NATHAN
Pls, signify if you've read this beautiful masterpiece.
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by zaboy: 11:00pm On May 14, 2012
Malcolm X as told to Alex Harley...best ever
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by TheGeneral1(m): 11:07pm On May 14, 2012
Kwame Nkrumah is my man! The father of pan Africanism
eGuerrilla: The autobiography of W.E.B DuBois - DuBois
In Search of Identity: an autobiography - Anwar El Sadat
The man died; Ake; Isara; Ibadan; You must set forth at dawn - Wole Soyinka
Arafat (In the Eyes of the Beholder) Janet Wallach and John Wallach
Frantz Fanon: a biography - Irene Gendzier
Autobiography of Kwame Nkrumah - Nkrumah
The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Alex Haley
Malcolm X: A life of reinvention - Manning Marable
Malcolm - Bruce Perry
Che Guevara (A revolutionary life) - John Lee Anderson
Fidel (A critical portrait) - Tad Szulc
Fidel - Carlos Franqui
An Autobiography - Angela Davis
The side of glory - David Hilliard and Lewis Cole
Revolutionary Suicide - Huey P Newton
The life of Mahatma Gandi - Louis Fischer
C.L.R James (His Life and Work)- Paul Buhle
A taste of power (a black woman's story) - Elaine Brown
Assata: An autobiography of Assata Shakur - Assata Shakur
Head Above Water - Buchi Emecheta
Soul on Ice - Eldridge Cleaver
Chester Himes: A life - James Sallis
Monster: The biography of an L.A Gang Member - Sanyika Shakur

Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 14, 2012
?
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Maxymilliano(m): 11:25pm On May 14, 2012
Black Boy by Richard Wright,

Mein Kempf which means My struggle by Adolf Hitler.

Because i am involve by Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 14, 2012
I dunno but I may be the lone voice - but does anyone else think both MLK and Nelson Mandela are overrated?

Personally, I think Malcolm X, WEB Dubois, and arguably Huey P. Newton sacrificied more for the negroes than brother MLK.. Even the Jews benefited more from the civil rights movements, than blacks.. Despite blacks being at the forefront of the struggle, and dying in huge numbers.. I rate MLK for giving his life for the struggle, but it's just a pity his dream became a nightmare - with the death of blackwall street - and other great black institutions..

As for Nelson Mandela, he did his thing - but I'll always put Steven Bantu Biko before him.. I don't think there would ever be an intelligent, articulate, brilliant, educated, conscious, and brave 26years old on the African continent again.. This brother gave his life for what he believed in, and he was a genius.. He's the father of black consciousness, African renaissance, and solving African problems with African minds.. When people talk about black being beautiful, and being proud to be African - they're definitely talking about the dreams of Bantu Biko..

His biography, and life story - changed my life forever.. You can never get realer than 26years old Bantu Biko.. Bantu Biko to me is the greatest African to ever walk this planet..
Re: Best Biography You Ever Read by Jluvu: 12:01am On May 15, 2012
Lee Iaacoca a biohraphy by Lee Iaacoca

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chronicles Of A Housemaid / My Wife And I / A Hunt - A Military Thriller by Abraham Adekunle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.