Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,740 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami (20360 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo And Her First Cousin Segun Awolowo / why Igbos In NFF Block Segun Odegbami From Contesting For FIFA President / Segun Adewale Allegedly Fires Shots Into APC Campaign Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by edreesdandy: 9:48pm On May 12, 2012
YEKINI......... YEKINI.........what an inevitable carlos end for a hero like Rashidi Yekini, to me I do believe that its only God that has the power to kill, but if a human being feels he/she call end a life, then God has the power to make his/her life worthless and his progeny
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by grafikii: 9:50pm On May 12, 2012
Good observation Bro, I really pity them when I read their comments
espn: Anytime ders a thread dats connected to yorubas or hausas..one fin dats certain is dat igbos here on nairaland wld say sumfin negative abt it..whether its gud or bad..buh if its a thread abt igbos..al dey do is to praise der people..buh u wld neva see any yoruba or hausa to say sumfin bad..u guyz v a big prob..even wen it cums to religious issue..u wld hardly see a yoruba guy or ga who is a xtainl say sumfin abt d opposite religion..buh u can be sure of gettin negative comments frm igbos(xtain)..I guess dis is mere infiriority complex..nonsense!
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 10:36pm On May 12, 2012
belovedaja: Can the police unravel this. Oh what a wicked world.
How much u give am when he was sick? Oloshe
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 12, 2012
naptu2: Yekini Was Killed —Odegbami

Former Nigerian international, Segun Odegbami, MON, alleged in a stunning interview Friday on Channels Television that former African Footballer of the Year, Rashidi Yekini might have been killed by those who forcefully took him away from his home.

Odegbami also called on the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar to probe what led to the reasons the late Yekini was chained and taken away from his residence by unknown people.

The former captain of the Green Eagles of Nigeria opined that the former Vitoria Setubal of Portugal striker was sane but depressed after losing a huge sum of money in a business deal.

He opined that the deceased, who scored Nigeria’s first goal at the World Cup in 1994, was a recluse, stating that when some people alleged that he was insane and took him to the police station, they were rebuffed by the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State.

“Is it a hospital or herbal centre? Why did they take him there? There was absolutely nothing wrong with Rashidi. You’ve been hearing stories and all kinds of reports about Rashidi being mad, walking the streets of Ibadan and all those things, saying he was abnormal. Who would have done normal things, if you lost your fortunes the way he did? He suffered huge financial loss, about two years ago and because he didn’t have any friend.”

Odegbami, who has just returned from Harvard University, USA where he had attended a conference, added: “he could not even share his pains and burden with people. He could have committed suicide but he didn’t. Rather, he behaved abnormally for a while and that was the cause of his depression and it was something that time has healed because the Rashidi I saw was okay.”

He further argued: “how could an insane person drive a car? Rashidi and I met at Onireke Guest House. He carried me in his car, just the two of us and we sat for over one hour. He unburdened his challenges to me and he decided that from now onwards that Rashidi was going to get back into the limelight.”

Odegbami also disclosed that plans were in top gear by First Bank of Nigeria to make the late striker of Gateway Football Club of Abeokuta an ambassador, where he would distribute 5,000 balls to young footballers and when the late striker heard that his eyes lit up.

Odegbami, who owns The International Academy, TIA, Wasimi, Ogun State spoke about the planned programme with First Bank. “I was not going to arrange interviews for you, where people will laugh at you. The plan was to make you do what you know how to do best, play football, train with kids, distribute balls to kids,” Odegbami said he told Yekini.

He also disclosed that SuperSport were interested in what was happening to Yekini and when they heard First Bank was about to make him an ambassador they tried to do a documentary on him.

On how he heard of the demise of the former striker, Odegbami said: “I came back from Ethiopia, called his mobile phone but it didn’t go. I called one of his friends, Bayo and he said he too had been calling Yekini but, no response. It was a premeditated death. Who were those that went to take him away? Why did they take him away? If he was ill, who certified that he was ill? He played football on that day, he was driving his car, he was not disturbing anybody. He had his own problem. Rashidi had always been a recluse, even when he was playing for Nigeria and getting all the awards and everything. Rashidi was not somebody that you will find in the party, he never smoked, he didn’t care about material things.”

Odegbami spoke on how Yekini was abducted by some people after he parked his car, arguing that those behind his abduction must be fished out.

“His neighbours said they saw two spiritual people, one was a relative, the other very close to him. They said they wanted to cure him or something and the police had said that when Rashidi had this depressive problem, they took him to the Commissioner of Police and the commissioner told them that ‘it was you people that have problems not this young man that I’m seeing. Nobody should take him anywhere without the presence of the Police,”

Odegbami called on the Federal Government and the National Sports Commission, NSC, to pay closer attention to ex-sports people because a lot of them have been forgotten after winning laurels for the country.

—Adebobola Alawode
hw much u gve am. Olodo
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by redsun(m): 10:52pm On May 12, 2012
In nigeria most times sanity could mean insanity and vice versa.Just because the guy tried to do his own thing without involving unnecessary people could be seen as being crazy in nigeria because people are not use to their own privacy.People are not independent.

Even somebody that walks fast on the street to catch up with time could be seen as being crazy in nigeria because everybody walks leisurely,even when they are late for appointments.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by wealthsco1: 11:17pm On May 12, 2012
let them be fish out

Former Nigerian international, Segun Odegbami, MON, alleged in a stunning interview Friday on Channels Television that former African Footballer of the Year, Rashidi Yekini might have been killed by those who forcefully took him away from his home.

Odegbami also called on the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar to probe what led to the reasons the late Yekini was chained and taken away from his residence by unknown people.

The former captain of the Green Eagles of Nigeria opined that the former Vitoria Setubal of Portugal striker was sane but depressed after losing a huge sum of money in a business deal.

He opined that the deceased, who scored Nigeria’s first goal at the World Cup in 1994, was a recluse, stating that when some people alleged that he was insane and took him to the police station, they were rebuffed by the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State.

“Is it a hospital or herbal centre? Why did they take him there? There was absolutely nothing wrong with Rashidi. You’ve been hearing stories and all kinds of reports about Rashidi being mad, walking the streets of Ibadan and all those things, saying he was abnormal. Who would have done normal things, if you lost your fortunes the way he did? He suffered huge financial loss, about two years ago and because he didn’t have any friend.”

Odegbami, who has just returned from Harvard University, USA where he had attended a conference, added: “he could not even share his pains and burden with people. He could have committed suicide but he didn’t. Rather, he behaved abnormally for a while and that was the cause of his depression and it was something that time has healed because the Rashidi I saw was okay.”

He further argued: “how could an insane person drive a car? Rashidi and I met at Onireke Guest House. He carried me in his car, just the two of us and we sat for over one hour. He unburdened his challenges to me and he decided that from now onwards that Rashidi was going to get back into the limelight.”

Odegbami also disclosed that plans were in top gear by First Bank of Nigeria to make the late striker of Gateway Football Club of Abeokuta an ambassador, where he would distribute 5,000 balls to young footballers and when the late striker heard that his eyes lit up.

Odegbami, who owns The International Academy, TIA, Wasimi, Ogun State spoke about the planned programme with First Bank. “I was not going to arrange interviews for you, where people will laugh at you. The plan was to make you do what you know how to do best, play football, train with kids, distribute balls to kids,” Odegbami said he told Yekini.

He also disclosed that SuperSport were interested in what was happening to Yekini and when they heard First Bank was about to make him an ambassador they tried to do a documentary on him.

On how he heard of the demise of the former striker, Odegbami said: “I came back from Ethiopia, called his mobile phone but it didn’t go. I called one of his friends, Bayo and he said he too had been calling Yekini but, no response. It was a premeditated death. Who were those that went to take him away? Why did they take him away? If he was ill, who certified that he was ill? He played football on that day, he was driving his car, he was not disturbing anybody. He had his own problem. Rashidi had always been a recluse, even when he was playing for Nigeria and getting all the awards and everything. Rashidi was not somebody that you will find in the party, he never smoked, he didn’t care about material things.”

Odegbami spoke on how Yekini was abducted by some people after he parked his car, arguing that those behind his abduction must be fished out.

“His neighbours said they saw two spiritual people, one was a relative, the other very close to him. They said they wanted to cure him or something and the police had said that when Rashidi had this depressive problem, they took him to the Commissioner of Police and the commissioner told them that ‘it was you people that have problems not this young man that I’m seeing. Nobody should take him anywhere without the presence of the Police,”

Odegbami called on the Federal Government and the National Sports Commission, NSC, to pay closer attention to ex-sports people because a lot of them have been forgotten after winning laurels for the country.

—Adebobola Alawode
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by donmexy1: 12:46am On May 13, 2012
espn: Anytime ders a thread dats connected to yorubas or hausas..one fin dats certain is dat igbos here on nairaland wld say sumfin negative abt it..whether its gud or bad..buh if its a thread abt igbos..al dey do is to praise der people..buh u wld neva see any yoruba or hausa to say sumfin bad..u guyz v a big prob..even wen it cums to religious issue..u wld hardly see a yoruba guy or ga who is a xtainl say sumfin abt d opposite religion..buh u can be sure of gettin negative comments frm igbos(xtain)..I guess dis is mere infiriority complex..nonsense!
Cmon sharrap dia are bluetooth and seanet not yoruba peeps who wont hesitate to attack anything igbo?While i dont support tribalism, its very wrong of u to generalise the tribalistic posts of a few individuals as an igbo thing
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by AFOLABISUNKANMI(m): 1:59am On May 13, 2012

—Adebobola Alawode
Only God can Judge
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by ofala(m): 4:20am On May 13, 2012
Are thete folks who stand to benefit anything from his death? If yes, they might have something to tell the police
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Ilekokonit: 5:32am On May 13, 2012
onezirozan
WHY DO WE WRONGLY ASSUME THAT INDIVIDUALS WITH A MENTAL ILLNESS CANNOT DRIVE A CAR OR GO TO WORK, BUT DRIVING A CAR IS NOT EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE NOT MENTALLY ILL. GARY SPEED WAS COACHING WALES AND HE BATTLED DEPRESSION

Yes Gary Speed battled depression but he sadly committed suicide when he could not bear it any longer and his death was a sad loss to humanity. But in Yekini's case he did not commit suicide but was apparently hounded to death or even killed in suspicious circumstances by do gooders and/or greedy murderers. May the souls of both Gary Speed and Rashidi Yekini rest in perfect peace.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by 1forall: 6:01am On May 13, 2012
Dede1: I do not make excuses. I am what I am, period.

Congratulations! grin
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Ilekokonit: 6:32am On May 13, 2012
Reading this article by Segun Odegbami where he categorically states that Rashidi Yekini was killed in questionable circumstances and watching his Channels Tv interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5RDFQulm4Dc brought back my initial observation when the news of Yekini's death initially broke and the first pictures of his burial surfaced (see below), http://saharareporters.com/news-page/untold-story-rashidi-yekinis-last-days-premium-times what first stuck me about the picture was the patch of blood that was seeping through his burial cloth around his groin area and my first observation to a friend then was that as it was not normal for someone with mental illness to just fall down and die that the blood could have come about because Yekini died from either i) a fatal fall whilst trying to evade capture by people who were forcefully trying to take him to hospital or ii) a violent suicide since we were led to believe that he was mentally ill in the period leading up to his death.

But Segun Odegbami's article has shed more light on what now seems like a suspicious death that needs to be investigated if those in authority are not too nonchalant like they always are.

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Okijajuju1(m): 7:54am On May 13, 2012
bisiaet: I'm so ashamed of you for what you have just said above. Why do we Igbo people like covering our own a s s and be attacking other people a s s? The kind of evil perpetraited in a day in the East alone is worst than any evil done in any other tribe for a whole year this is honest truth and 'am not afraid to say it because honest ones amongs us know the truth of what am saying.

Yekini death is not issue of Yoruba or juju get that right what I expect a sane person to say is what cause his death and who are those that came to bundle him and what was their mission? And who gave the permission to forcefully evicted him for healing? And not nonsense blablabla Yoruba juju silly talk. No tribe has the monopoly of evil deed every tribe is guilty of it so get your head in a right place and talk something sensible rather than tribalising a sensitive issue like the death of an hero okay!!!

Points to note about this post;

1. 12 Yoruba people 'like'd it.
2. The poster is not Igbo.
3. Living in denial by saying Igbos are more evil than Yorubas.
4. Yekini was killed by Yorubas in Yoruba land.
5. Yorubas are the most evil.... They are the leaders of Boko Haram.
6. Yekini died because he was duped by Yorubas of all his money, got depressed because no Yoruba man would help him and died because he was abducted by Yoruba people and taken to a Yoruba juju house.
7. The Igbos may be evil but we don't kill heroes... Ask Ojukwu and co.

8. May Yekini rest in peace... He was a rare breed of 'Good Yoruba men'..
9. If he was Igbo... He would be rich and alive today.. Ask Kanu..
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Onyenna(m): 7:55am On May 13, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

and by the way onyenna, whether you are real igbo or just a wannabe, just piss off, ok? Thanks.

I know of ileke_idi and co. ...but that's not enough reason for me to bash anything yoruba.... I simply ignore the daft ones and move on...

Nwanne, a bu m onye imo... Obi m na-agwa m n' ibu onye anambra.... Obughi obi m ikpasu onye obula iwe..... Owuru n' ihe m kwuru mbu were gi iwe, biko ndo......
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Onyenna(m): 8:13am On May 13, 2012
bisiaet: The kind of evil
perpetraited in a day in the East alone is worst than any
evil done in any other tribe for a whole year this is
honest truth and 'am not afraid to say it because honest
ones amongs us know the truth of what am saying.

I just wonder the part of igbo land you are from?.....the kinda evil perpetrated in the east alone in a day is worst than that perpetrated in any other tribe in a year!?..... Dude, you must be high on some sh*t......
Advice: take that sh*t no more cos it's stronger than you!!!!! Ighotago?
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by redsun(m): 8:41am On May 13, 2012
Sometimes death is a better option.But in nigeria because people don't know why they live,they fear and adhor death.Death is part of life,what is important is for one to be fulfilled while alive and live like there is no tomorrow.

He has made a mark,if he can't cope mainly because of the hopeless system he found himself in,he is better of dead.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by patriotze: 9:01am On May 13, 2012
[quote author=patriotz]May his soul rest in peace amen, come to think of it where were dis mr good samaritans b4 dis incident nd u r there claimin mr do good dnt make me hate u more so if tins were suppose to b redered 4 his support u guys better do assist dem family as well. Forget abt d sentiment he is gone 4ever in our hrts we will remember u Yakini.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Okijajuju1(m): 9:03am On May 13, 2012
Onyenna:

I know of ileke_idi and co. ...but that's not enough reason for me to bash anything yoruba.... I simply ignore the daft ones and move on...

Nwanne, a bu m onye imo... Obi m na-agwa m n' ibu onye anambra.... Obughi obi m ikpasu onye obula iwe..... Owuru n' ihe m kwuru mbu were gi iwe, biko ndo......

Ngwa nu ekwu zi na odi okwu anwa ozo..
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by member479760: 9:30am On May 13, 2012
we are still waiting for the police to make arrest in this murder case.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by walemoses2(m): 10:24am On May 13, 2012
nchewi: I'ld to say a few things here!
First of all, shame on Nigerians for placing material things above human life, 4 not caring about each other, we r seriously a terrible set of humans! There is something above mere survival, and that is LIVING!! Passionate living!
Secondly, Yekini had attained a higher human state similar to that of Bob Marley! His psychology leaned towards higher ideals, above d animalistic survival push of our primitive humans nature!! All I can say is that he was way ahead of his time (like the wright brothers...who the so-called knowledgeable society tot were mad). Yekini isolated himself from the world because he hated its stench, greed, pretense, falsehood and deceit! I share similar sentiments! To add to it, he was a natural introvert...., and that is not an abnormality! He rebelled against the world and it's adoration of wealth n material things!! Where he arrived at b4 his death, is where civilization as a whole is headed. He wasn't mad, but he was mad at the world, at the fake society! He was an idealist, not a realist!!!and that was his problem!
About d way he acted, do u guys consider the great Gandhi mad? Considering d way Gandhi dressed n how he lived!! These two men existed in the same 'ideal-world' horizon!! Yekini wasn't mad!!!!!! Most of u here contributed to his death with all this ur stinky n shameful bigotry and tribalism! You guys are quick to mock people! Like what u're all doing to Victor Ikpeba currently! As if speaking english is the sole criteria 4 excelling. Yekini's english wasn't good either! I guess u would have mocked him as well! So he kept his distance! Away from you perfect humans! In life, passion is all that counts! Only it can break our language barrier, differences and impediments!
Finally, those that hate the kind of ethnic bashing that goes on here, should try to ignore and report these kids that come here to talk about what they have no power over!! Nobody chooses his tribe or place of birth! Plzzzzzz U are not animals and Nigeria is not a jungle!!

The best so far,analysis straight to point,information mind blowing,contribution elicit admiration from me,i am happy to be a Nigerian for the like of you,RIP Rashidi Yekini.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by texazzpete(m): 10:29am On May 13, 2012
Dede1: God, please forbid the bad thing. Yoruba peep’s hunger for money had led to the death of a MON. After watching the Yoruba people denigrate others on the love for money, I am stunned to read that Yoruba can not only run mad but kill because of money (owo).

The pathetic thing about your case is that unlike many of these teenage tribalists that spread their bile on Nairaland, you're actually a man of advanced age. As old as you are, you can still be this foolish?

You know what they say about a f00l at 40...sadly for you you will most likely die a sad, bitter and f00lish man.

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by akyus(m): 10:42am On May 13, 2012
@nchewi, I love ur comment. Excellent!
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Yeske2(m): 11:06am On May 13, 2012
texazzpete:

The pathetic thing about your case is that unlike many of these teenage tribalists that spread their bile on Nairaland, you're actually a man of advanced age. As old as you are, you can still be this foolish?

You know what they say about a f00l at 40...sadly for you you will most likely die a sad, bitter and f00lish man.
And the most pathetic is when a fool calls someone else a fool, were you bringing in age to slight or what?
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by nonnydgood(m): 11:36am On May 13, 2012
BIG SHAME TO NFF lipsrsealed
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by ollybosieb: 4:14pm On May 13, 2012
I saw him few months ago at foodco and i saw him again 3wks ago around the same area driving, whatever happened to him God knows. May his soul rest in the bosssom of ALLAH.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Cashmoney4: 6:43pm On May 13, 2012
It is only in this country that people celebrate the dead alot than when they are life

what a pity embarassed
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by cindyrella(f): 8:09pm On May 13, 2012
So Sad, may his soul rest in peace.. i pray those behind his death are caught and brought to justice... what a wicked world...
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by texazzpete(m): 10:05pm On May 13, 2012
Yeske!:
And the most pathetic is when a fool calls someone else a fool, were you bringing in age to slight or what?

If you cannot understand written English, I can send my old copy of Queen Primer and Brighter Grammar to you.

As for you (subtly) calling me 'fool', I supposed I should be flattered. I know you usually reserve that term for close family members grin

1 Like

Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by NAJALYN: 10:31pm On May 13, 2012
Its very unfortunate, man's wickedness to his fellow man. Of course those who murdered Yekini can never go unpunished.
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by nsiadi: 10:58pm On May 13, 2012
Some deaths in Nigeria are avoidable. Anybody who survives here can survive anywhere else
Its really a pity we are in this mess. Poverty & illiteracy are the pivot of all these.
Unfortunately we must be ready to live with this till we get our priorities right.
No yoruba man wants to believe their is no Magun , Ogun & other super forces. Its really a pity
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by stunna2(m): 5:56am On May 14, 2012
See wickedness!!!
A human being is forcibly taken (sane or insane) and he dies n instead of roundly condemning this, Nigerians r here doing what they do best...illevant banter due to their inherent inability to focus!

What d fuc,k?
Re: Yekini Was Killed- Segun Odegbami by Yeske2(m): 6:29am On May 14, 2012
texazzpete:

If you cannot understand written English, I can send my old copy of Queen Primer and Brighter Grammar to you.

As for you (subtly) calling me 'fool', I supposed I should be flattered. I know you usually reserve that term for close family members grin
Yeah right! With the uncouthness of your vile tongue, i think you need the brighter grammar more and save the sweat for something worthwhile.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eye-Witness: AGIP Oil Company Port Harcourt Barricaded- Pictures / CAN, CSOs, Others Reject Onochie’s Nomination As INEC Commissioner / 2023: Goodluck Is Jonathan Free To Seek PDP Ticket – Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.