Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,445 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government (794 Views)

Exclusive Interview With Lamidi Adedibu- Video / INEC Machines Found In Adedibu's House / Interview Video Of Baba Adedibu(strongman Of Ibadan Politics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government by upchair(m): 8:32am On Nov 16, 2007
In an interview , with the Nigerian Tribune at the end of his court case yesterday, adedibu said he is the controller of the Federal Government and that The NAFDAC Boss is a useless woman. Can you Imagine? Controller of the Federal Goverment. This guy's wings need to be curtailed. Pride cometh before a fall.

Excerpts from the Interview.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q Baba, they are saying you should shut up for one year.

A That is their application. They are just making an application. They are saying that they are making the application
because there is likelihood of my committing an offence. But have I committed any offence? It is just an allegation. If
you cannot substantiate that allegation, then what are you saying?

Q You mean nobody can shut you up?

A No, this country is being run by a written constitution. If I have committed no offence, there will be no reason for
anybody to shut me up.

Q Baba, are you happy with your bail conditions at all?

A I’m very very happy. All these lawyers performed brilliantly well. Even the magistrate was fair enough.

Q Although you are an elderly man, they are saying that you have always conducted yourself in breach of public peace.

A Have I been charged at any time? Even now, with the present offence, can you say I was charged with any offence?

Q That is the charge against you.

A No. It is not. What they are saying is that I should be bound over an offence which they foresee I will commit. They
never said I have committed any offence.

Q Will you henceforth guard your utterances?

A I will continue to make utterances. Something I have been saying in the last 57 years. Can anybody stop me from
saying so? I am already 80 years. I am 58 years in politics. I have served for 58 years in politics. I have performed
successfully well in politics.

Q Would you say that your coming here is politically motivated?

A Yes, it is part of politics.

Q But you are a very strong man in the ruling PDP.

A It means that democracy is established in the country. That is the rule of law. And I am very pleased.

Q Will it be correct to say that you were disturbing the public peace?

A No, let them correct themselves. If they say something which may happen.

Q They said they brought you here for the fear that you could cause trouble.

A That is their own side. Why should I cause trouble? I am the controller of the state government. I am the
controller of the Federal Government. To whom will I cause trouble.

Q Will you say your being brought here is related to your clash with the Director-General of NAFDAC?

A That lady is useless (laughter). She was in my house before the election, showering praises on me. When she
lost in her bid to become a minister, she started abusing everybody. May be she felt pained. That is her
problem.

Q Or maybe she was annoyed because you didn’t help her to become minister?

A It is God who didn’t help her (laughter again).
Re: Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government by naijaway(m): 11:24pm On Nov 16, 2007
this crook should be caught on tape trying to destablize naija and then sent to kirikiri. All those traditional rulers should also be caught one by one until they render their powers useless. Their powers should be demised. U see Yar adua is making waves behind the clouds, that is the gains of having educated people in power; it would have been more better if all the governors, ministers, local governments, and senior party officals were well educated.
Re: Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government by Danmasani(m): 1:39am On Nov 17, 2007
Adedibu says "He is Father of the PDP"!!!! grin grin grin grin, I wonder how stupid this guy can be to think that he can 'father PDP' outside Ibadan!

Adedibu back in Ibadan, says nobody is above the law
Sunday Aborisade

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200711171441643

Controversial Oyo State politician, Alhaji Lamidi Adedibu, returned to Ibadan on Friday and declared that his arrest and arraignment showed that nobody is above the law under the present government.

Adedibu, who addressed journalists at his Molete residence in company with the state Deputy Governor, Alhaji Taofeek Arapaja, however insisted that his arrest was politically motivated.

The politician said the way the police and the judiciary handled his trial showed that the Peoples Democratic Party was not teleguiding them.

He said, ”I am very happy that both the Police and the Judiciary are now exercising their freedom freely. They are not being teleguided by the government. It is a clear indication that democracy is fully on course.

Ordinarily, the police would not have arrested me because of my status in the PDP. I am the father of the party and my arraignment in court yesterday has not diminished my status”

Adedibu said he was well taken care off by the police authorities because he was accommodated in a very comfortable room, where the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, personally visited him.

Hundreds of his supporters, including a former governor in the state, Chief Kolapo Ishola; and former military governor of Lagos State, Brigadier-General Raji Rasaki (rtd), were in Adedibu‘s residence on solidarity visit

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Government on Friday denied that it had any rift with Adedibu over appointments into state and federal boards.

The Special Adviser to the Oyo State Governor on Public Communication, Mr. Dotun Oyelade, told our correspondent that there was no disagreement between his boss, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, and Adedibu over the composition of boards of government agencies and parastatals.

The Adedibu camp had, prior to his invitation to Abuja by Okiro, accused the governor of unduly favouring his cronies in appointments at the state and federal levels at the expense of qualified party men .

The Adedibu camp said that the action violated an arrangement reached before the April 14 governorship election on appointment into political offices.

Oyelade, however told our correspondent on the phone that Adedibu and Alao-Akala understand each other very well and could not disagree over such issues like board appointments.
Re: Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government by Danmasani(m): 1:47am On Nov 17, 2007
Akunyili threatens to sue Adedibu
Olayinka Oyebode and Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007111714394151

More troubles are on the way for controversial Oyo State politician, Chief Lamidi Adedibu, as the Director-General of the National Food, Drug Administration and Control; Prof. Dora Akunyili, on Friday demanded a public apology from him over utterances concerning her during his recent trial in Abuja

Adedibu, a stalwart of the Peoples Democratic Party, had alleged that Akunyili was fighting him because of her failure to secure a ministerial appointment under the current administration. He said the NAFDAC boss actually lobbied him to get her such appointment, and that she only resorted to blackmailing him after she had failed to realise that ambition.

Akunyili, through her solicitors on Friday, wrote a letter to Adedibu, in which she demanded a public apology. She said the apology should be given prominence within seven days or the politician risked a libel suit.

Also on Friday, Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, restated that Adedibu’s arraignment by the police indicated that nobody is above the law.

Akunyili’s letter by Mr. K.O.P. Odidika of the Sower & Messuarius Solicitors and dated November 16. It read in part, “We are the Solicitors to Prof. Dora Akiunyili on whose behalf and instructions we write to you in connection with the above subject matter.

“It is our instruction that you addressed a press conference wherein you made several reckless and irresponsible statements against our client. In fact, you most irresponsibly referred to our client as a ‘useless woman who goes about talking rubbish.’

It is our further instruction that you referred to our client as a person who lobbied for a ministerial appointment, praising you in the process of the lobbying, but lost out and as such started behaving irresponsibly.

“For the avoidance of doubt, our client visited your home during the Yar’Adua/Jonathan Presidential campaign and the team was led by Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan and Chief Olabode George. At no time did our client address you, not to talk of praising you,

“Our client has suffered incalculable damages as a result of your libelous statement, as she has been receiving numerous calls from all over the world in respect of your statement.

“It is our instruction to demand that you retract all the statements complained of, which you made against our client and render a PUBLIC APOLOGY to her.

“Please TAKE NOTICE that unless the said retraction and public apology are given the same prominence as the statements complained of and rendered within 7 days from the date hereof, we shall commence legal proceedings against you to compel obedience and seek adequate recompense for the damage caused by your reckless utterances.”

Meanwhile, Okiro, in an exclusive interview with our correspondent, in Abuja, said there would be no sacred cow in the police’s determination to make the country peaceful for everyone.

He said, “I have always been saying it, nobody is above the law. It (Adedibu’s arraignment) will also send a signal to all that we are determined to maintain the peace, and that whoever we suspect is capable of causing trouble or has caused trouble will be apprehended.

“Nobody will be treated with kid gloves. And I am assuring you that we are more determined in our resolve to maintain peace in the country.”

Adedibu was on Thursday arraigned at an Abuja Chief Magistrate Court on a two-count charge on acts capable of breaching the peace.

The charge against him read, “That you, Adedibu, and two others now at large were arrested on a reasonable suspicion in that you are likely to initiate disturbance of public peace.

“Your conduct and that of your thugs are likely to breach public peace in Abuja , Ibadan and other states of the country, contrary to Section 88(1) of the Criminal Procedure Code.”

The PDP stalwart pleaded not guilty to the charge and was granted bail. Police prosecutor, Mr. Columbus Okaro, said the arraignment of the politician was to extract an undertaking from him that he would be of good behaviour.

This, however, generated some controversy as some Nigerians have said the police did a shoddy job, and that they were not sincere in the prosecution of Adedibu.

But Okiro said that was not true. He also said that he was not under any pressure, as speculated in some quarters, to take the accused to court, adding that he was only doing his job.

According to him, “Nobody is putting pressure on me; I am only doing my job, which is to maintain law and order in this country. It is my responsibility to make sure that there is no breach of the law, and that is what I have done in this regard.”

Asked if he was satisfied with the bail conditions given Adedibu, Okiro said the aim of taking the accused person to court was not to kill him. Rather, the purpose was to extract a promise from him that he would be of good behaviour and would maintain the peace.

Okiro said, “We did not take him to court to be killed; what we did was to ask the law to take its course.

“If the law can deal with him as we asked, he also has the right to ask the same law to protect him. That is what has happened. We are pleased with what happened.”

Our correspondent, however gathered that Adedibu’s arraignment might have resulted from displeasure said to have been expressed by President Umaru Yar’Adua to his close aides.

The President, it was learnt, was unhappy when he got the report that the Ibadan-based politician was obstructing the work of NAFDAC, as reported by Akunyili.

A top security chief told our correspondent on condition of anonymity, that even though the President did not register his displeasure to the IG, the top cop got to know through one of his closed friends at the Villa.

Asked if Adedibu’s arraignment has anything to do with the forthcoming local government elections, Okiro said he would not want to be specific.

He learnt, “I don’t want to be specific on this. What I can tell you is that we are putting in place so many security measures in order to have peaceful elections across the country. Don’t forget that we are also in ‘ember months.’ So, we have to double our security measures, so that we can have peaceful celebrations.”

Akunyili's word is credible and that lady commands respect from Nigerians than the office of the Secretary to the Federal
Government. Now if some shark who is supposed to be losing his teeth comes out lying about her, I urge her to prosecute him to the highest order. Some form of example must be made of this old fool,
Re: Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government by Seun(m): 1:55am On Nov 17, 2007
A link to the source of this article, please.
Re: Adedibu: Says He Is Controller Of Federal Government by ojimboIV: 4:48pm On Nov 17, 2007
what adedibu doesn't realise is that he is out of his elements. he should know that this has gone beyond his safe haven boundaries. his illiteracy has definitely caught up with him this time - running his mouth talking arrant nonsense about controlling the state and federal government and to crown it all resorting to libel without even realising it. kudos to the reporter for finally exposing this clown.

(1) (Reply)

Adedibu Finally Arrested? / National Council Of State Confirms Okiro As The I.g Of Police / Solution To The Continuous Increase In Petroleum Pump Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.