Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,686 members, 7,955,560 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:20 AM

Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman (1135 Views)

Immigration Officers And TRAFFIC Officers Clash In Ogun (PHOTOS) / Policemen Brutalise NBA Secretary In Osun (pictured) / Ekiti: Police Disperse APC Lawmakers With Teargas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:34pm On May 18, 2012
Some Nigerian Navy officials last Friday allegedly assaulted officers of the Traffic Compliance and Enforcement in Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the officials attached to the Naval School of Music in Sango Ota area of the state also vandalised properties at the corps' Ado-Odo Ota Zonal office.

Our correspondent learnt that the incident began after two TRACE officials accosted a naval officer for allegedly driving against traffic around Joju Junction.

The corps' Zonal Commander, Mr. Ajibade Adekunle, told our correspondent that the naval officer was not wearing uniform when he was accosted.

He said, "On May 11, 2012, around 7:45am, a blue Peugeot 406 with registration number, DK 268 ABJ, was accosted by our operatives on patrol at Joju Junction for driving against traffic.

"The traffic officials, led by Commander Salabiu and the provost commander, Onasoga Adekansi, interrogated the driver. But he neither answered the questions nor introduced himself. Rather, he chose to abandon the vehicle at the middle of the road."

PUNCH Metro learnt that after sometime, one of the traffic officials, Isa Atanda, unscrewed the number plate of the vehicle and asked the naval officer to retrieve it at the TRACE office.

Our correspondent learnt that after a few minutes, scores of naval personnel stormed TRACE office and beat up the corps men.

Atanda said the naval officials, who were armed, beat him to a pulp and threatened to kill him.

He said, "The naval officials were hitting me in the head with the butt of their guns, saying 'we will kill you, how dare you accost our commander in such a manner.'

"I begged them and explained that the driver was in plain clothes so I couldn't have known that he was a naval officer but they refused to stop. I bled profusely as they treated me like a criminal."

The naval officials were said to have fired teargas canisters and beat up everybody they found on the premises of TRACE.

One of the teargas canisters allegedly hit a pregnant woman, identified simply as Mrs. Aduroja.

Aduroja said, "The naval officials threw teargas canisters at us and assaulted all of us. One of the naval officials, who threw the canisters, was a sub-lieutenant with name tag, K.O Izokue. I had to be rushed to the hospital for treatment.

"I have developed a severe cough since then as well as sore throat. I don't know why the navy men acted in such a manner."

Another traffic official, identified simply as Egunleti, as well as three officials of the state bureau of transportation – Adetola Kazeem, Eniola Adeyemi and Bisi Coker – said the naval officials ordered them to roll in mud inside the compound.

They said the naval men made away with their phones and the sum of N23,000.

PUNCH Metro learnt that some hoodlums seized the opportunity to steal impounded motorcycles from the TRACE premises.

Aduroja said, "Some hoodlums stormed the premises after the naval official had left and stole 11 motorcycles, two of which were new and unregistered."

PUNCH Metro learnt that the case was immediately reported at the Sango Ota Police Division.

However, when contacted, the spokesperson for the state police command, Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi, said he was unaware of the incident.

When contacted on the phone, Director of Naval Information, Commodore Kabir Aliyu, said he had heard about the incident but details were still sketchy. He also said it was not a crime for a civilian to accost an errant military official.

"I heard about the incident but I'm still trying to get details from the relevant authorities. If you can give me more time, I'll get back to you," Aliyu said.

However, TRACE spokesman, Commander Akinbiyi Babatunde, told our correspondent on the telephone that Aliyu had called to apologise over the incident.

Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:36pm On May 18, 2012
Injustice anywhere is Injustice everywhere
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by LailaIkeji1: 2:37pm On May 18, 2012
wooowww.
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 18, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Some Nigerian Navy officials last Friday allegedly assaulted officers of the Traffic Compliance and Enforcement in Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the officials attached to the Naval School of Music in Sango Ota area of the state also vandalised properties at the corps' Ado-Odo Ota Zonal office.

Our correspondent learnt that the incident began after two TRACE officials accosted a naval officer for allegedly driving against traffic around Joju Junction.

The corps' Zonal Commander, Mr. Ajibade Adekunle, told our correspondent that the naval officer was not wearing uniform when he was accosted.

He said, "On May 11, 2012, around 7:45am, a blue Peugeot 406 with registration number, DK 268 ABJ, was accosted by our operatives on patrol at Joju Junction for driving against traffic.

"The traffic officials, led by Commander Salabiu and the provost commander, Onasoga Adekansi, interrogated the driver. But he neither answered the questions nor introduced himself. Rather, he chose to abandon the vehicle at the middle of the road."

PUNCH Metro learnt that after sometime, one of the traffic officials, Isa Atanda, unscrewed the number plate of the vehicle and asked the naval officer to retrieve it at the TRACE office.

Our correspondent learnt that after a few minutes, scores of naval personnel stormed TRACE office and beat up the corps men.

Atanda said the naval officials, who were armed, beat him to a pulp and threatened to kill him.

He said, "The naval officials were hitting me in the head with the butt of their guns, saying[b] 'we will kill you, how dare you accost our commander in such a manner.'[/b]

"I begged them and explained that the driver was in plain clothes so I couldn't have known that he was a naval officer but they refused to stop. I bled profusely as they treated me like a criminal."

The naval officials were said to have fired teargas canisters and beat up everybody they found on the premises of TRACE.

One of the teargas canisters allegedly hit a pregnant woman, identified simply as Mrs. Aduroja.

Aduroja said, "The naval officials threw teargas canisters at us and assaulted all of us. One of the naval officials, who threw the canisters, was a sub-lieutenant with name tag, K.O Izokue. I had to be rushed to the hospital for treatment.

"I have developed a severe cough since then as well as sore throat. I don't know why the navy men acted in such a manner."

Another traffic official, identified simply as Egunleti, as well as three officials of the state bureau of transportation – Adetola Kazeem, Eniola Adeyemi and Bisi Coker – said the naval officials ordered them to roll in mud inside the compound.

They said the naval men made away with their phones and the sum of N23,000.

PUNCH Metro learnt that some hoodlums seized the opportunity to steal impounded motorcycles from the TRACE premises.

Aduroja said, "Some hoodlums stormed the premises after the naval official had left and stole 11 motorcycles, two of which were new and unregistered."

PUNCH Metro learnt that the case was immediately reported at the Sango Ota Police Division.

However, when contacted, the spokesperson for the state police command, Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi, said he was unaware of the incident.

When contacted on the phone, Director of Naval Information, Commodore Kabir Aliyu, said he had heard about the incident but details were still sketchy. He also said it was not a crime for a civilian to accost an errant military official.

"I heard about the incident but I'm still trying to get details from the relevant authorities. If you can give me more time, I'll get back to you," Aliyu said.

However, TRACE spokesman, Commander Akinbiyi Babatunde, told our correspondent on the telephone that Aliyu had called to apologise over the incident.

When are these animals in khaki going to learn from Al-mustapha and Arogundade misfortunes ? I wish this TRACE guy can sue their asss.Freaking zombies. angry angry
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by andrewza: 2:49pm On May 18, 2012
They should be shot for there actions. Any case just because you in the milltary dose not mean you are above the law.
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 12:19am On May 19, 2012
una think say to be soldier na moi moi? nonsense
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by jmaine: 12:23am On May 19, 2012
The erratic nature of these naval ratings never ends sad . . . .

DivideUs: una think say to be soldier na moi moi? nonsense

Meaning ? . . .They have a right to assault anyone at whim ?
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 1:17am On May 19, 2012
Are you sure this story came from punch?
Post the source weblink.
It sounds totally unbelievable.
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 5:06am On May 19, 2012
Animals i.e those ratings and their short service commander think they are above the laws of the land. Failed country.
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 9:06am On May 19, 2012
jmaine: The erratic nature of these naval ratings never ends sad . . . .

meaning that all this small/new agencies that harass people with their new found power have whats coming to them.
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 9:11am On May 19, 2012
DivideUs:

meaning that all this small/new agencies that harass people with their new found power have whats coming to them.

Something is wrong with your brain.Didnt you see that the guy presumed to be a civilian was driving against traffic ? So what has this got to do with government agency or being a soldier makes you above the law ?
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by Nobody: 9:12am On May 19, 2012
angry angry
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by melvournis(f): 9:21am On May 19, 2012

jmaine: The erratic nature of these naval ratings never ends sad . . . .

This kind of person is really too shameless, what makes them a hit ah, the government do? How do not maintain justice?
Re: Naval Officials Brutalise Traffic Officers, Teargas Pregnant Woman by andrewza: 9:22am On May 19, 2012
DivideUs:

What harassment. He did his job. In SA if the chief of the defense force in full uniform in a military vehicle drove against Traffic(with out due causes) he would be in a jail cell. No one is above the law.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Did NOT Inform Unilag Senate Of Name Change - Unilag Prof / Nigeria Air Force To Inaugurate Helicopter Flying School In Enugu / How Many Committees Has GEJ Setup And What Were/Are They Meant To Achieve?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.